Nail Biter Storm 1/24 - 1/26/23

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Nail Biter Storm 1/24 - 1/26/23

Post by tron777 »

Here is our new thread for the nail biter coming Tues night thru Thurs of next week. Discuss!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: Nail Biter Storm 1/24 - 1/26/23

Post by tron777 »

18Z Euro was a tick SE from the 12Z run passing the low SE of us but still not enough for Cincinnati. Still snow to rain to snow. Nice hit from IND over to Dayton though.

18Z GFS still not budging tracking the low from IND to Detroit. 18Z GEFS also ticked NW tracking the low from Paducah to just a hair north of Cincinnati.

18Z NAM is just like the 18Z GFS.

18Z RGEM ticked SE tracking the low form Memphis to Lexington into the Apps (OH, KY, WV border).

So for now... the call still stands. Snow Tues night after midnight, changing to rain on Wed, then back to snow sometime Wed night with back end snow for everyone on Thurs.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Sun Jan 22, 2023 7:49 pm 18Z Euro was a tick SE from the 12Z run passing the low SE of us but still not enough for Cincinnati. Still snow to rain to snow. Nice hit from IND over to Dayton though.

18Z GFS still not budging tracking the low from IND to Detroit. 18Z GEFS also ticked NW tracking the low from Paducah to just a hair north of Cincinnati.

18Z NAM is just like the 18Z GFS.

18Z RGEM ticked SE tracking the low form Memphis to Lexington into the Apps (OH, KY, WV border).

So for now... the call still stands. Snow Tues night after midnight, changing to rain on Wed, then back to snow sometime Wed night with back end snow for everyone on Thurs.
Great call Les and we just wait and see which model will cave.
MJSun
Thunder Storm

Post by MJSun »

I'm actually hoping nothing happens that gets XU to close classes Thursday - because then the 6 week class I teach gets pushed forward a week- I just want it over with. LOL
Mollie
Cincinnati: Batavia/Amelia (H), Norwood (W)

The extent of my weather knowledge is pointing at the sky and saying what color it is.

:bouncymulti:
airwolf76
EF0 Tornado

Post by airwolf76 »

the Sunday storm was a bust for me . I think this one may deliver a few inches. its suppose to be more prolonged snow before turning over
22'/23' snowfall > 11"
23'/24' snowfall > 19.5"
cincy bud
Rain Shower

Post by cincy bud »

Winter Storm Watch issued for Preble Co and the Dayton crew. 4"-7" Tuesday night into Wednesday. That watch is a mile away from me so time to get more snowblower gas.
cincy bud
Rain Shower

Post by cincy bud »

6" for the Sunday storm.
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

From Oz EU,NAM, GFS, showing our front end snow early Wednesday morning before the dry slot/rain moves in

floop-gfs-2023012300.prateptype_cat-imp.us_ov.gif
floop-ecmwf_full-2023012300.prateptype_cat_ecmwf-imp.us_ov.gif
floop-nam-2023012300.ref1km_ptype.us_ov.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good morning folks... here are the current placement of the Watches:

Watches.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Morning and just a touch of snow overnight on top of the garbage cans but roads are just fine. Models are in agreement about the next system though some difference on the exact track. Today a January day with clouds and a few flurries and temps in the mid 30's. Tuesday will be a little nicer with some sunshine ahead of the next system. Temps will probably end up in the 38-42 degree range and went a little lower because of snow melt. Then late Tuesday night into Wednesday is the next headache lol. Will have more on this system later and my guess the models will be similar but two things I am watching that could have some effects on the storm though at the moment Snow-Rain-Snow seems the most likely outcome.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Models are in decent agreement on either tracking the low thru NKY or over SE Indiana. None of those are all snow solutions obviously for us. I'm going to wait for a couple more rounds of runs before throwing any numbers out there for snow accumulations. I think we will see some accumulations before the flip to rain then light accumulations with the back end snow showers. One of those deals pretty much. Another heavy, wet heart attack snow though for sure whatever we do see.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Models differ on exact low trek but are in agreement it tracks over Cvg or west . Best Guess atm is 1-3" for counties bordering the river, and 2-5" for counties north of that to I70. Higher amounts further north out of cvgland
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:09 am Models differ on exact low trek but are in agreement it tracks over Cvg or west . Best Guess atm is 1-3" for counties bordering the river, and 2-5" for counties north of that to I70. Higher amounts further north out of cvgland
That is a very nice call! Can't argue with that whatsoever. I saw Local 12 making an early call too. I believe they had 2-3" S counties. 3-5" from CVG on north and then 6"+ NW areas where the watches are posted. I thought that was pretty ballsey. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tron777 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:20 am
Bgoney wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 8:09 am Models differ on exact low trek but are in agreement it tracks over Cvg or west . Best Guess atm is 1-3" for counties bordering the river, and 2-5" for counties north of that to I70. Higher amounts further north out of cvgland
That is a very nice call! Can't argue with that whatsoever. I saw Local 12 making an early call too. I believe they had 2-3" S counties. 3-5" from CVG on north and then 6"+ NW areas where the watches are posted. I thought that was pretty ballsey. :lol:
That is surprising, usually the TV Mets wait until 36 hours from event to throw out specific numbers
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Just a little fun fact and Bgoney mentioned this last week I believe that China and India were in the middle of a cold wave. A city in China named Moha recorded a temperature of -63 F. This is the lowest recorded temperature ever in China.
BookNerdCarp
EF0 Tornado

Post by BookNerdCarp »

700 WLW this morning was throwing out 3-6
House of Cards
Heavy Rain

Post by House of Cards »

Can you wonderful folks help me out more with actual timing? My son works as an apprentice electrician and his current job site is up by the Dayton Airport. He departs here around 6am to drive to the job. This storm sounds like that might make the drive a real issue for him at that time? Also, hate the idea of him fighting his way up there if the foreman ends up calling off their workday. Any insight from you guys would certainly be appreciated.
Located at intersection of Blue Rock Rd and I-275/SR 126 Hwy in Colerain
cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

I'm always skeptical on these hyped-up storms from the media and NWS. :lol: As we saw yesterday our biggest snows always seem to be unexpected overachievers. Waiting for the 12z suite to come in before I make an initial guess on amounts. At first glance it looks like a snow dump Tues night-Wed AM followed by dry slot/light mix-rain on Wednesday with the main thump for round 2 (Wed) hitting the IND-FWA-DTW corridor.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

12Z NAM is really amp'ed up and NW tracking the low from Paducah, to Evansville to west of IND to Toledo. NAM still gives us 3-4" before the changeover to rain despite the low being that far West..
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

House of Cards wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:27 am
Can you wonderful folks help me out more with actual timing? My son works as an apprentice electrician and his current job site is up by the Dayton Airport. He departs here around 6am to drive to the job. This storm sounds like that might make the drive a real issue for him at that time? Also, hate the idea of him fighting his way up there if the foreman ends up calling off their workday. Any insight from you guys would certainly be appreciated.
Hey Dave! My best guess attm is snow moves in sometime after midnight then changes over to light rain from S to N after 8am. I would change over down here long before Dayton would as an example. Guessing that Dayton could changeover late morning to around lunchtime. But again, the strength of this system will determine the amount of WAA we get and the track of the surface low so some changes are possible as we continue to look at the data. I didn't name this thread the nail biter for nothing! :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

cloudy72 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:28 am I'm always skeptical on these hyped-up storms from the media and NWS. :lol: As we saw yesterday our biggest snows always seem to be unexpected overachievers. Waiting for the 12z suite to come in before I make an initial guess on amounts. At first glance it looks like a snow dump Tues night-Wed AM followed by dry slot/light mix-rain on Wednesday with the main thump for round 2 (Wed) hitting the IND-FWA-DTW corridor.
I agree Mike... we've been screwed over by WAA so many times. Every once and a while we score from it ala yesterday's system. But that low was very weak while (as you know) this one is going to be much stronger.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

House of Cards
Heavy Rain

Post by House of Cards »

tron777 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:40 am
House of Cards wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:27 am
Hey Dave! My best guess attm is snow moves in sometime after midnight then changes over to light rain from S to N after 8am. I would change over down here long before Dayton would as an example. Guessing that Dayton could changeover late morning to around lunchtime. But again, the strength of this system will determine the amount of WAA we get and the track of the surface low so some changes are possible as we continue to look at the data. I didn't name this thread the nail biter for nothing! :lol:
Thanks, that does help a lot. I may ask again as we progress, but at this point I'll talk to him about what happens if he can't get there from here... :lol:
Located at intersection of Blue Rock Rd and I-275/SR 126 Hwy in Colerain
airwolf76
EF0 Tornado

Post by airwolf76 »

they are backing off for my area now. saying 1-3" starting around mid morning Wednesday
22'/23' snowfall > 11"
23'/24' snowfall > 19.5"
dce
EF5 Tornado

Post by dce »

tron777 wrote: Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:37 am 12Z NAM is really amp'ed up and NW tracking the low from Paducah, to Evansville to west of IND to Toledo. NAM still gives us 3-4" before the changeover to rain despite the low being that far West..
All the models are showing that front end thump. That is probably going to be our chance at a moderate snow event. I can't see the models shifting southeast with the low at this point. They have been very consistent, for a change, for several days now. I do like the consistency of the front end dump as well. All the models are showing a nice batch of moisture before the warm air wins out.
Doug

Huber Heights
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

BG Snowtalk!

Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page