April 2021 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

April 2021 Weather Discussion

Post by tron777 »

Opening Day for a lot of baseball fans will kick off April. In Cincy for the Reds, look for sunshine and highs in the upper 30s to perhaps 40 degrees. This was not the coldest Opening Day in history. 38 degrees was the coldest high back in the 1930s.

John Gumm from Local 12 posted this on his FB Page yesterday:
COLDEST REDS OPENING DAY EVER?! If last year's July 24th #OpeningDay was the warmest on record (technically speaking) at 89 degrees (1896 holds the traditional start date record at 86), this year's makes a run at the coldest on record with a forecast high of 41 degrees. Currently, the coldest Reds Opening Day on record came on April 16, 1935 with a loss to the pirates and a high temperature in Cincinnati of just 38 degrees! Wind chills Thursday could dip into the upper 20s to lower 30s! Bundle up!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: April 2021 Weather Discussion

Post by tron777 »

For early gardeners don't forget about the Freeze Watches and Warnings for Thurs morning and Friday morning. Might even see frost Saturday morning too.

Easter Weekend looks awesome with the 60s Sat and 70 on Easter Sunday. The 70s continue into next week with our next chance for t-storms about Wed / Thurs April 7-8th. As Mike alluded to in the March thread... strong storms maybe possible? We'll have to iron out the timing of course as we get closer.

I also believe that the 2nd half of April will be stormier then the first half. Tim... I believe we both were discussing that last time around.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

We saw accumulating snow on the morning of Opening Day in April of 1996, but temps rose to 46 that afternoon. This Opening Day should go down as #2 in the books for cold but if clouds occur and we don't get a bunch of sunshine then who knows? I think 40 is a good call at this time.

Record low Thurs morning is 25 at CVG set in 1975. I think it's safe. 21 from 1995 Fri morning. Maybe?
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Tue Mar 30, 2021 6:53 pm We saw accumulating snow on the morning of Opening Day in April of 1996, but temps rose to 46 that afternoon. This Opening Day should go down as #2 in the books for cold but if clouds occur and we don't get a bunch of sunshine then who knows? I think 40 is a good call at this time.

Record low Thurs morning is 25 at CVG set in 1975. I think it's safe. 21 from 1995 Fri morning. Maybe?
Plus not sure what the temp will be at midnight as well
cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

12z NAM has freezing temps all the way down to central AL-GA-SC by Friday morning. It has temps in the lower 20s for our hoods.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

cloudy72 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:57 am 12z NAM has freezing temps all the way down to central AL-GA-SC by Friday morning. It has temps in the lower 20s for our hoods.
Big cold outbreak and since the PV got really strong in March it built up really cold temps in the arctic regions and they were much below normal and some of that cold is headed our way. After this it will be hard to get temps below 32 again this season as the pattern does not show that happening again plus you need time for the cold to build up once again and then we are talking about mid-late April.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 11:04 am
cloudy72 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 10:57 am 12z NAM has freezing temps all the way down to central AL-GA-SC by Friday morning. It has temps in the lower 20s for our hoods.
Big cold outbreak and since the PV got really strong in March it built up really cold temps in the arctic regions and they were much below normal and some of that cold is headed our way. After this it will be hard to get temps below 32 again this season as the pattern does not show that happening again plus you need time for the cold to build up once again and then we are talking about mid-late April.
Agreed. Clouds may hurt us tonight for a record but Fri morning, it would not shock me at all.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I am not liking the looks in the extended range Day 10+. Cold and stormy for the start of my Lake Erie trip. :(
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tron777 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:51 pm I am not liking the looks in the extended range Day 10+. Cold and stormy for the start of my Lake Erie trip. :(
Yuck, that looks nasty. You may be limited to the bay for a few days if the GFS is right
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 2:13 pm
tron777 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 12:51 pm I am not liking the looks in the extended range Day 10+. Cold and stormy for the start of my Lake Erie trip. :(
Yuck, that looks nasty. You may be limited to the bay for a few days if the GFS is right
I know.. may need extra beer for blow days. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Afternoon and that wind is nice an brisk. The next 6-7 days look nice after the cold spell starts to ease on Friday. Saw the extended with the gfs and it has another cold shot in about 10 days. Not sold on that one and yes we can have another cold front come through but usually they would be directed at the northeast and we may get a glancing blow. Still many days away but my thoughts so far is yes some rainfall and cooler but not much lower than 40 or so at night.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

What may help us tonight concerning frost is the wind staying up. The wind chill is the main concern. Friday morning a heavy frost is likely with recent rains and calm winds frost will form and my guess some folks will lose some of those early flowers that love to come up.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

We should clear out after midnight. Clearing from about Central IN to the west. But the wind I agree... obs of 15-25 mpg are occurring back into ILL on cold NW flow.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tpweather wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 3:47 pm What may help us tonight concerning frost is the wind staying up. The wind chill is the main concern. Friday morning a heavy frost is likely with recent rains and calm winds frost will form and my guess some folks will lose some of those early flowers that love to come up.
Yes, Bro, like clockwork, that never seldom fails. My folks and I have some early blooms. Hoping for the best so we'll see.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

ILN has me progged for 35 on April Fools' Day.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

They have a 30% of a snow shower tomorrow for here. That is no April Fools lol
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Wed Mar 31, 2021 7:08 pm They have a 30% of a snow shower tomorrow for here. That is no April Fools lol
Same for my area, too, Bro lol.

And for Redlegs Opening Day ~~

Thursday

Partly cloudy. Scattered snow showers in the morning, then scattered snow showers with isolated rain showers in the afternoon. Cooler with highs in the upper 30s. Northwest winds 10 to 15 mph. Gusts up to 30 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation 30 percent. :lol:

I can imagine the headline for Sat (next game after Opening Day) "Team out sick from 'winter' ball on Opening Day".
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good morning all! Happy Opening Day and April Fool's Day to you all! Mother Nature isn't fooling around today with cold temps in the 30s and perhaps a few flakes as well. Cold tonight in the 20s as well as Sat morning, then we moderate this weekend. Easter Egg hunts look GREAT!

We warm up into the 70s next week and start to go downhill again for the 2nd half of next week and beyond. A deep trough looks to set up thru mid month now along with cooler weather and chances for rain with periodic cold fronts and slow moving systems.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

The Frost / Freeze program is back on from about the Metro area and points south. See the link below to parodically check for updates to see if your county is back into the game. There are some good stats for select locations also.

https://www.weather.gov/iln/springfrostfreeze
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Clouds / wind have saved us from seeing frost this morning. The next two mornings however should be a different story with the coldest temps coming tonight since daytime highs today won't be all that great.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Morning Les and not seeing any frost as the winds helped in that matter. We know its going to warm up which is great but are we done with the cold for the season. I believe if we get some cold this will happen because of blocking in northeast Canada which leads to cold mainly coming down from there. This is common in April so nothing new there.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Thu Apr 01, 2021 8:04 am Good Morning Les and not seeing any frost as the winds helped in that matter. We know its going to warm up which is great but are we done with the cold for the season. I believe if we get some cold this will happen because of blocking in northeast Canada which leads to cold mainly coming down from there. This is common in April so nothing new there.
Good morning Tim and you're exactly right. A block looks to form in that area and we get a cut off low over us / Great Lakes area. There are signs of that occurring. How long does the pattern remain ugly for my Lake Erie trip, will be determined by the strength of that block. A common pattern in April and sometimes even May as well.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

30 officially this morning at CVG.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

PLAY BALL!!!! . Snow-ball
20210401_103717.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!