August 2021 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: August 2021 Weather Discussion

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 7:14 am
tron777 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:40 am No new precip at CVG or here overnight. The heaviest will be in our SE today and tonight ending on Wed with Ida. Scattered for the rest of us. I'm actually disappointed so far at the rains I have received, Was honestly expecting an inch for my hood, just don't think we'll get there this far to the west.
Went to bed last night thinking the same disappointment for mby, had nothing for the last 5 days, but overnight had one of those rogue showers and got a much needed inch out of it. Would love to see more today but not expecting much looking at radar and dryer air squeezing Ida's northern extent. Got to give the NAM props for Ida's remnants staying further SE than other models
Yeah... Let me post this good visual from the wv loop. BG posted this on his twitter feed earlier. Illustrates that dry air point perfectly.

Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Taken from the "if you want to see weather, drive to it" story........I had an appointment up in Dayton. It was raining so hard the roads were ponding and it was rather hard to maneuver the car. Just got home....pavement barely wet. LOL I did mange 0.07" somehow. Maybe birds escaping Ida moved on top of my gauge. :)
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Ida precip shield making a move northward , now past I-64
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
young pup
EF4 Tornado

Post by young pup »

Currently sitting in truck. Tropical downpour rain delay. 😂
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

cloudy72 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:51 am Taken from the "if you want to see weather, drive to it" story........I had an appointment up in Dayton. It was raining so hard the roads were ponding and it was rather hard to maneuver the car. Just got home....pavement barely wet. LOL I did mange 0.07" somehow. Maybe birds escaping Ida moved on top of my gauge. :)
Mike you need to wash your car. That usually does the trick for me.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I put out the sprinkler for a few hours on the lawn. That usually gets the dome primed for real rain. That method has worked twice this summer so far actually. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Watch it play out just like with winter snow storms. The steadier rains from Ida will make it up to about S Boone, Kenton, and Campbell co's and that's it leaving myself high and dry. :lol: Mid 70s here currently with a mix of clouds and some patches of blue sky to my north as well.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

tpweather wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 11:57 am
cloudy72 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 10:51 am Taken from the "if you want to see weather, drive to it" story........I had an appointment up in Dayton. It was raining so hard the roads were ponding and it was rather hard to maneuver the car. Just got home....pavement barely wet. LOL I did mange 0.07" somehow. Maybe birds escaping Ida moved on top of my gauge. :)
Mike you need to wash your car. That usually does the trick for me.
Thought about that or maybe getting the roof on the house replaced. That always sounds the siren for a downpour! :)
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Still watching Ida's moisture trying to get in here but an East wind off the Apps is going to make it tough. Frontal boundary is still stalled just a hair N of I-70. We continue to be in no man's land in between the two areas of precip. We watch and wait...
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Radar estimating 3-4" of rain from this mornings deluge in the Drexel area (few miles west of downtown Dayton). Currently looks like some flooding ongoing on the north side of Columbus (JPs area?).
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Seeing some hazy sunshine here - almost looks like the front may be slightly drifting north again. Once Ida remnants pass, obviously it will pull back south but how much can form in between if anything?
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

cloudy72 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 1:35 pm Seeing some hazy sunshine here - almost looks like the front may be slightly drifting north again. Once Ida remnants pass, obviously it will pull back south but how much can form in between if anything?
Exactly Mike. I am going to continue to remain on the pessimistic side. So far that has been the way to go with this set up.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Afternoon and rain moving into the local area. So far a nice light rain that should give most folks some rain during the late afternoon and evening. This is a good rain for folks who are on the dry side as so far light to sometimes moderate rain should let things soak in plus plenty of clouds to help as well.
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

myanimation.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Nothing yet imby... it's trying but having a hard time getting up to the river. Def expecting light amounts if I see anything at all. Best action has been and should continue to be Central and Eastern KY. Our SE Crew was supposed to do well and they may still have a chance but around Cincy and points north and west, good luck! I think like Mike mentioned a lot of folks, esp N of the River will have to reply on the cold front once Ida moves by as it passes thru by later on tonight or early Wed morning. that's bad timing for frontal boundary activity too. Loss of peak heating. If I am wrong so be it, but as time goes on, I am becoming less and less impressed with this set up for heavy rains for our area. Not widespread anyways.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

dce
EF5 Tornado

Post by dce »

tron777 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:46 pm Nothing yet imby... it's trying but having a hard time getting up to the river. Def expecting light amounts if I see anything at all. Best action has been and should continue to be Central and Eastern KY. Our SE Crew was supposed to do well and they may still have a chance but around Cincy and points north and west, good luck! I think like Mike mentioned a lot of folks, esp N of the River will have to reply on the cold front once Ida moves by as it passes thru by later on tonight or early Wed morning. that's bad timing for frontal boundary activity too. Loss of peak heating. If I am wrong so be it, but as time goes on, I am becoming less and less impressed with this set up for heavy rains for our area. Not widespread anyways.
Reminds me of one of those Kentucky special southern Ohio snowstorms.
Doug

Huber Heights
cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Nice downpour just popped overhead - Doug may be heading your way in West Carrollton.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

dce wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 3:19 pm
tron777 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 2:46 pm Nothing yet imby... it's trying but having a hard time getting up to the river. Def expecting light amounts if I see anything at all. Best action has been and should continue to be Central and Eastern KY. Our SE Crew was supposed to do well and they may still have a chance but around Cincy and points north and west, good luck! I think like Mike mentioned a lot of folks, esp N of the River will have to reply on the cold front once Ida moves by as it passes thru by later on tonight or early Wed morning. that's bad timing for frontal boundary activity too. Loss of peak heating. If I am wrong so be it, but as time goes on, I am becoming less and less impressed with this set up for heavy rains for our area. Not widespread anyways.
Reminds me of one of those Kentucky special southern Ohio snowstorms.
Exactly! That was my point, Doug. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I am finally seeing some sprinkles here... not even enough to wet all of the pavement. I guess I'll record a trace for the event thus far.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Radar says its raining IMBY but notta, still have dry air at mid levels
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Ida is just south of Nashville with the dry slot starting to fill in . Fascinating to watch and interested in seeing how her moisture interacts or not with the stalled front
cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

So the little shower that could is still sitting and spinning over my hood - up to 0.33" now! Temp down to 71.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Finally... some actual light rain is occurring here in a more steadier fashion. This is going to remain very light IMO and I don't believe we're going to see much out of it. SE Crew could be a different story the further you go from the river but for us locally, I am sticking with this notion. 74 currently in my hood.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 4:17 pm Ida is just south of Nashville with the dry slot starting to fill in . Fascinating to watch and interested in seeing how her moisture interacts or not with the stalled front
There should be an area of convergence to support a narrow band of enhanced rainfall but we are probably going to have to wait until Ida moves a little more to the East. We'll see if the front can catch up to the deformation zone. That's going to be the key right there. That should happen in our SE Counties unless the forecast models are wrong. Like that never happens. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page