January 2024 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
Trevor
Site Admin

Re: January 2024 Weather Discussion

Post by Trevor »

Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

#Indy received 0.1" of snow on 12/31/23, marking the latest first measurable snow of the season since 1941. Record latest first measurable snowfalls for Indy:
1) January 4, 1941
2) December 31, 2023
3) December 29. 1986
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Happy New Year to everyone!!! Busy week in the weather department and will start research after I grab my second cup of coffee.
Phr0z3n
Rain Shower

Post by Phr0z3n »

Looks like models are trying to fire a Miller C snow event for
Sat-Sun night. I definitely like the consistency in the model runs this far out. When comparing the 0z euro and 0z gfs there are a lot of the ingredients there. 50/50 low appears to be in place with a decent Newfoundland block. IMO maybe the euro missed it completely in the 0z run ( the Newfoundland block looks identical to 0z gfs). This is going to be a wait and see and a timing issue with the transfer of energy from the primary to the secondary low, and of course the dry slot of death where the 850 low decides to travel.
IMG_0110.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Phr0z3n on Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

So what has been the trend this season is what Bgoney mentioned and storm head up the east coast. I will wait to see if the models made any more corrections. With the STJ moving right along instead of northwest shifts we see quite often it may be a season of southeast shifts. With the 2 systems coming in and one around the 6th and another just a few days later the second system will sort of force the first system to move along. Will need to see if a upper system is north of the surface low and where exactly is that going to take place. I do believe these systems have a nice cold core and that is good but how much cold air do we have at the surface is key. For me its way to early to make a call but I did inform the neighbors last night that two storms are coming in the next 10 days and some do travel so they want to know when is the best time for them to head out of town. I need another cup of coffee after a few beers last night lol
Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

Silverton, OH

Phr0z3n
Rain Shower

Post by Phr0z3n »

I see the difference now with the 500mb vorticity in regards to sat-sun night. For us to cash in the upper level trough has to turn negative just east of the Mississippi. Gfs operational depicts this well. Euro operational is just a tad farther east when it goes negative. We have plenty of time to watch this unfold.
Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

Phr0z3n wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:14 am I see the difference now with the 500mb vorticity in regards to sat-sun night. For us to cash in the upper level trough has to turn negative just east of the Mississippi. Gfs operational depicts this well. Euro operational is just a tad farther east when it goes negative. We have plenty of time to watch this unfold.
This is exactly correct and the main driver for the differences between the globals. Good eye.
Silverton, OH

fyrfyter
Thunder Storm

Post by fyrfyter »

IMG_0787.jpeg
#LockItIn :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~Aaron
Mack/Green Township, OH

My Current Conditions
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Phr0z3n wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:47 am Looks like models are trying to fire a Miller C snow event for
Sat-Sun night. I definitely like the consistency in the model runs this far out. When comparing the 0z euro and 0z gfs there are a lot of the ingredients there. 50/50 low appears to be in place with a decent Newfoundland block. IMO maybe the euro missed it completely in the 0z run ( the Newfoundland block looks identical to 0z gfs). This is going to be a wait and see and a timing issue with the transfer of energy from the primary to the secondary low, and of course the dry slot of death where the 850 low decides to travel.IMG_0110.jpeg
I didn't think of it as being a Miller C. Forgot about those lol Good graphic too explaining what a Miller C really is. You need to post more often! You always have good posts too that we all can learn from.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 9:50 am So what has been the trend this season is what Bgoney mentioned and storm head up the east coast. I will wait to see if the models made any more corrections. With the STJ moving right along instead of northwest shifts we see quite often it may be a season of southeast shifts. With the 2 systems coming in and one around the 6th and another just a few days later the second system will sort of force the first system to move along. Will need to see if a upper system is north of the surface low and where exactly is that going to take place. I do believe these systems have a nice cold core and that is good but how much cold air do we have at the surface is key. For me its way to early to make a call but I did inform the neighbors last night that two storms are coming in the next 10 days and some do travel so they want to know when is the best time for them to head out of town. I need another cup of coffee after a few beers last night lol
That is what concerns me. The SE shift. We have seen it time and time again so far this season and you can thank the -NAO for that.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Trevor wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:20 am
Phr0z3n wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:14 am I see the difference now with the 500mb vorticity in regards to sat-sun night. For us to cash in the upper level trough has to turn negative just east of the Mississippi. Gfs operational depicts this well. Euro operational is just a tad farther east when it goes negative. We have plenty of time to watch this unfold.
This is exactly correct and the main driver for the differences between the globals. Good eye.
Wonderful post! Timing is always everything in Ohio Valley snow storms. That is the main reason why we don't see very many of them. Our geographic location stinks. We are too far away from the Lakes for lake effect so we have to relay on synoptic systems.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

I’m in the southern camp (Canadian and even Euro) but as Phrozen said, timing at 500mb is crucial. I think we will have a better handle on this by the PM Wed/AM Thu model runs.

I still think we squeak out some light snow up this way but by and large I think we miss the heavier stuff. We shall see! Forecast confidence is not super high and this is of course not my final forecast. Just my thoughts for now.
Silverton, OH

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Another thing too... over the last few winters, we have seen a strong storm modeled, only to have it weaken within the Day 3-5 window. That is another concern that I have. We need a strong system to avoid suppression which is a very real risk with this system.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

tron777 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:44 am Another thing too... over the last few winters, we have seen a strong storm modeled, only to have it weaken within the Day 3-5 window. That is another concern that I have. We need a strong system to avoid suppression which is a very real risk with this system.
Agreed. Good post sir. Strong but not too strong. We never have it easy :lol:

My bomb is still going strong! Pretty impressive from a model consistency standpoint. Been on the radar for a while.
Silverton, OH

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Trevor wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:48 am
tron777 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:44 am Another thing too... over the last few winters, we have seen a strong storm modeled, only to have it weaken within the Day 3-5 window. That is another concern that I have. We need a strong system to avoid suppression which is a very real risk with this system.
Agreed. Good post sir.

My bomb is still going strong! Pretty impressive from a model consistency standpoint. Been on the radar for a while.
Yeah... so far so good on that one. We'll have to wait and see if that one trends weaker / SE in time. It would not surprise me if it actually did. Meanwhile, as we await the results from the 12Z GFS, this is a good graphic I found on Facebook explaining the computer models and why accuracy grows as an event gets closer in time.

Weather Model Graphic.jpg
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

tron777 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:50 am
Agreed. Good post sir.

Yeah... so far so good on that one. We'll have to wait and see if that one trends weaker / SE in time. It would not surprise me if it actually did. Meanwhile, as we await the results from the 12Z GFS, this is a good graphic I found on Facebook explaining the computer models and why accuracy grows as an event gets closer in time.

The bomb weakening would actually benefit us and put us more in the game for winter weather. Some of the models have trended that way in fact.
Silverton, OH

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Trevor wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:51 am
tron777 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 10:50 am
Agreed. Good post sir.

The bomb weakening would actually benefit us and put us more in the game for winter weather. Some of the models have trended that way in fact.
It definitely would, I agree. That's why I said what I just said. We basically just posted the same thing. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

The trough is digging a bit more when compared to the 6Z run at 96 hours.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Of course after I posted that, it's going to come in as a weak piece of junk. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

And there you go the GFS caved to the Canadian and Euro. Not surprising and matches with what I was expecting.
Silverton, OH

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Trevor wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:17 am And there you go the GFS caved to the Canadian and Euro. Not surprising and matches with what I was expecting.
Same here. A swing and a miss was, and still is my main concern.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

That solution opens the door for a big old fashioned Plains Blizzard too as you can see on the GFS right now.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

12Z CMC looks a bit icy for the coming weekend system. I'd rather have a swing and a miss to be honest.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

tron777 wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2024 11:28 am 12Z CMC looks a bit icy for the coming weekend system. I'd rather have a swing and a miss to be honest.
Silverton, OH