January 2023 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: January 2023 Weather Discussion

Post by tron777 »

airwolf76 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:25 pm
tron777 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:11 am
snowbo wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:48 am Any suppression concerns after the Artic air arrives?
None whatsoever from me thanks to the SE Ridge. I'm way more concerned about systems tracking too far NW like the current one coming in. The global models are running much colder then their ensemble counterparts at the present time. We'll just have to wait and see how things look after Wednesday's low is by us.
totally agree with this. I am more worried about a SE ridge then anything. still think the OV in general will be in prime spot for a big dawg in the next couple weeks though.
Fingers crossed! :lol: Maybe around Ground Hog's Day will be our chance.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Finally getting a chance to look at things down the road . PV feeling pressure and stretched but still no signs of a legit reversal

epsmean10hPa60N.png
umedel60.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
airwolf76
EF0 Tornado

Post by airwolf76 »

tron777 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:41 pm
airwolf76 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:25 pm
tron777 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 11:11 am
snowbo wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 10:48 am Any suppression concerns after the Artic air arrives?
None whatsoever from me thanks to the SE Ridge. I'm way more concerned about systems tracking too far NW like the current one coming in. The global models are running much colder then their ensemble counterparts at the present time. We'll just have to wait and see how things look after Wednesday's low is by us.
totally agree with this. I am more worried about a SE ridge then anything. still think the OV in general will be in prime spot for a big dawg in the next couple weeks though.
Fingers crossed! :lol: Maybe around Ground Hog's Day will be our chance.
yeah who knows at this point . would like to see some EURO support later this week to make me feel more confident
22'/23' snowfall > 11"
23'/24' snowfall > 19.5"
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

MJO is ready to roll through the maritimes over the next couple weeks hopefully it weakens as it does so
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 12:51 pm Finally getting a chance to look at things down the road . PV feeling pressure and stretched but still no signs of a legit reversal
From what I've been seeing are that the winds relaxed some to allow for some warming, but then recently ramped up again, which has halted that. Signs are that the winds will relax some again for more warming, but I completely agree. I don't see any signs of a legit reversal or PV split. A stretching of the PV I can see but not a true split.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:06 pm MJO is ready to roll through the maritimes over the next couple weeks hopefully it weakens as it does so
It's out in Phase 3 per the Aussies. Models once again were totally wrong as it never got into Phase 2 first. If it doesn't weaken, our chances for wintry weather may be done for a while after the 1st week of Feb so hopefully we can cash in prior to 2/10.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tron777 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:12 pm
Bgoney wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:06 pm MJO is ready to roll through the maritimes over the next couple weeks hopefully it weakens as it does so
It's out in Phase 3 per the Aussies. Models once again were totally wrong as it never got into Phase 2 first. If it doesn't weaken, our chances for wintry weather may be done for a while after the 1st week of Feb so hopefully we can cash in prior to 2/10.
I do like that first week in Feb. We finally should have some below normal temps in place and still be in a panhandle hook pattern. Juicy
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 4:33 pm
tron777 wrote: Tue Jan 24, 2023 1:12 pm
I do like that first week in Feb. We finally should have some below normal temps in place and still be in a panhandle hook pattern. Juicy
Same here. This should be our next potential period to watch as we will probably warm up after that.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

If this current system had any kind of cold air to work with it would have been a monster for a lot of the country. So just a slightly better push of cold during that first week should produce a good size winter storm nearby
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Would rather have a lap dog storm. :lol:
airwolf76
EF0 Tornado

Post by airwolf76 »

basically after this weekend and into the first week of February looks like game on
22'/23' snowfall > 11"
23'/24' snowfall > 19.5"
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

The rest of the month is looking fairly benign with more above normal temps in the mix.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 7:15 am The rest of the month is looking fairly benign with more above normal temps in the mix.
I agree. The next system coming this weekend (Sat night thru Sun) is looking like a rain maker to me for most folks. Maybe, just maybe a few flakes at the end. I'm not impressed at all. The front just isn't going to drop far enough south thanks to the SE Ridge.

Still interested in early Feb near GHD. Models are all over the place but that is the next potential to keep that one eye open on.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

24 days in the books with 7 to go. Where we currently stand temp wise since 1960

Screenshot_20230125-084939_Chrome.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Bgoney wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:52 am 24 days in the books with 7 to go. Where we currently stand temp wise since 1960

Screenshot_20230125-084939_Chrome.jpg
Over the past decade or so this has been the case with milder than normal Oct-Jan and then we go in the opposite direction Feb-May. I would love to switch those if possible. The new normal and at the end of year guess what we usually end up so close to normal in both temps and precip. How we get there is just somewhat different than the past few decades.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 8:52 am 24 days in the books with 7 to go. Where we currently stand temp wise since 1960
At CVG, it's amazing we've done as well as we have this month in terms of snowfall. Thank God that Sunday worked out as it did or this would have been a month where CVG only got a Trace up until Sunday's system.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

airwolf76
EF0 Tornado

Post by airwolf76 »

if i dont score today i will probably go the entire month with just a trace
22'/23' snowfall > 11"
23'/24' snowfall > 19.5"
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

12Z GFS rolling in and the Sat night / Sunday system still is coming in as a rain maker for everyone with a chance to end as some flakes esp northern posters. Really not a big deal for our forum coverage area. Looks to be a nice hit for portions of Iowa towards Chicago and over to Detroit.

Forecast confidence goes down hill significantly after that system passes. Cold air wants to try and get more involved but at the same time, the SE Ridge wants to fight back. The pattern will continue to be very active and we'll just have to wait and see until some of the model noise is sorted out on which system to key in on for wintry weather. I will say this now... snow, ice, and rain are all going to be possible and we will likely be riding that fence once again. It's just the way it is this winter and I don't see that changing at all for the 1st week and change of February.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

airwolf76 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:20 am if i dont score today i will probably go the entire month with just a trace
Good luck you!! Sure hope you can get something on the board.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I should probably start a Feb thread for this but kind of busy working at the same time so I haven't had a chance to do so. For Feb 1-2nd, something that is occurring in the modeling are that this system comes at us in two waves. The first should bring the cold air in to set us up for wintry weather for the 2nd wave, which maybe the stronger of the two. It'll depend on how much energy comes in via the STJ. The 12Z GFS actually has wintry weather for both systems, but I'm not counting on that occurring. The Euro's 0Z run makes more sense to me with rain with the first wave, then we get colder for the 2nd wave to produce.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 11:21 am 12Z GFS rolling in and the Sat night / Sunday system still is coming in as a rain maker for everyone with a chance to end as some flakes esp northern posters. Really not a big deal for our forum coverage area. Looks to be a nice hit for portions of Iowa towards Chicago and over to Detroit.

Forecast confidence goes down hill significantly after that system passes. Cold air wants to try and get more involved but at the same time, the SE Ridge wants to fight back. The pattern will continue to be very active and we'll just have to wait and see until some of the model noise is sorted out on which system to key in on for wintry weather. I will say this now... snow, ice, and rain are all going to be possible and we will likely be riding that fence once again. It's just the way it is this winter and I don't see that changing at all for the 1st week and change of February.
Great Post Les and yes next week looks very busy so get your rest Fri-Sun.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Thanks Tim. Canadian looked interesting for sleet, frz rain, and snow in the extended range. 12Z GEFS have the usual array of solutions as you would expect also.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

When January comes to end , amazingly a huge percent of the lower 48 for the month , not just us ,will have gone without any arctic air involvement. if you count the last few days of Dec. it's over a month. By this weekend a bit of an Arctic air mass will reach southern Canada and by the first of Feb. trickle into the Northern plains . Ensembles still showing that air mass advancing into the OV is going to be a struggle , although we still should get into some below normal temps the first week in Feb and even colder air should at least be closer than at any point in January
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Bgoney wrote: Wed Jan 25, 2023 1:03 pm When January comes to end , amazingly a huge percent of the lower 48 for the month , not just us ,will have gone without any arctic air involvement. if you count the last few days of Dec. it's over a month. By this weekend a bit of an Arctic air mass will reach southern Canada and by the first of Feb. trickle into the Northern plains . Ensembles still showing that air mass advancing into the OV is going to be a struggle , although we still should get into some below normal temps the first week in Feb and even colder air should at least be closer than at any point in January
Makes so much sense and the other side of the world in China,India and now Japan are having some of the coldest temps ever recorded in those areas. Mother Nature always balancing things out and that is why we have life on this planet. Of course it was so much easier years ago to forecast the weather when the earth was flat.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

By this weekend though the upper plains and upper mid-west should have temps of -15 - -25 so at least catching the tail end of January with some arctic air and that should extend in at least the first week of February and hopefully some of that reaches far enough south and east to provide us with several chances of winter weather besides rain.