Rocktober 2024 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Re: Rocktober 2024 Weather Discussion

Post by Bgoney »

tron777 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2024 8:02 am Good Football Sunday morning to you all! Before we get to the weather, I'd like to start off by saying great news Eric and I'm glad your Mom's surgery went well! :) Also let's all wish JR76 a very Happy Birthday today! Thanks for being part of our forum community! :birthday: :birthdaymulticolor: :candle: :balloons:

Okay so on to the forecast... CVG hit 79 yesterday and we can expect similar temps if not cracking 80 today. It'll be a breezy day with SW winds gusting 20-30 mph ahead of the next cold front. Temps will drop and stay in the 50s for highs tomorrow thru Wed. We also have a small shower chance (best chance North) Mon night and Tues with the upper trough moving thru. As far as frost chances go, Wed and Thurs mornings offer up the best chances with mid 30s expected in city areas and 29-32 in rural outlying areas. I expect frost advisories to be issued for the entire area on those two nights (Tues night and Wed night). Patchy frost is also possible for Fri morning with the upper 30s expected for CVG Land. Highs for the second half of the week will warm into the 60s with 70s back by either Fri or the weekend. Clear skies at night and sunny days (other then Mon and Tues) can be expected thru the forecast period into next weekend.

In the extended range, our next system might come around the 24-25th and another towards the end of the month. Rain chances might be picking up a bit as well for the last week of the month. That has been my call for a while now and I still see evidence on the models to support it so no changes there from me. Also seeing some colder air building in Canada oozing down into the N Plains so some snowfall in those areas is also looking possible as we get towards the end of the month. I like what I am seeing with regards to some changes finally coming our way. It's still a ways out there so I don't have high confidence just yet, so we'll call it medium being this far out still. Give it another week and we should know the correct answer by then.

The Ensembles are showing ridging poking up into Alaska with a trough over the Pacific NW / N Plains / Rockies and ridging for the Lakes, OV, SE US and into New England with a +NAO / +AO with cold air / trough building over Canada / Greenland areas. That is definitely looking more La Nina like at 500 MB as we go deeper into the Fall. That is not a wintry pattern for us with the ridging over the East, but maybe it'll lead to some rain if we are close enough to the storm track. Not sure if that will remain to our NW or not this far out in time. The pattern I described does match up with the MJO Phase 4-6 progression for the second half of October as we have discussed previously on here so no surprises to be honest at this point. Again, all we are looking for are better rain chances with the new pattern but as long as the ridging remains in place, mild weather will continue after next week's cool spell.
Awesome post Les, I’ll take my chances with any kind of change to 500mb pattern, than what we’ve seen for summer/fall for much of the central part of the country precipitation wise.
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Bgoney wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2024 10:01 am 63 for a low at cvg, if we don’t drop below that before midnight, it’s a top 5 warmest low for the date
Looks like 63 was the low and getting those strong southwest winds at the correct time and you can see a top 5 warmest. See this quite often in the winter with warm and cold especially from late at night until morning when you have the correct timing a record top 5 high or low happens and again the date matters so really just plain luck. So far this month 4 degrees above normal and for the year 3 degrees above normal. Rainfall well below normal for the month a just shy of 2 inches below normal for the year. So why the drought conditions and timing once again. When it rains is important in getting drought conditions and we just happen to have a year where the timing is bad. I have seen years where rainfall is 5 inches or more below normal but the timing was good.

So long term not worried at all and you look over the past 10 years my guess is 7 or more are above normal when it comes to rainfall its the timing that is the main concern. Mother Nature will take care of business as usual.

Wednesday or Thursday morning do we hit 32 or below. Going to be close and yes some outlying areas will easily go below 32 as some this past week were as low as 37 while Cvg and urban areas stayed in the mid 40's. This week though a much larger area of temps in the 30's and some below the 32 degree mark. Will it be a freeze and my guess no because usually you need at least 3 hours of temps 29 or lower and not sure we get to that point this week.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2024 11:02 am
tron777 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2024 8:02 am Good Football Sunday morning to you all! Before we get to the weather, I'd like to start off by saying great news Eric and I'm glad your Mom's surgery went well! :) Also let's all wish JR76 a very Happy Birthday today! Thanks for being part of our forum community! :birthday: :birthdaymulticolor: :candle: :balloons:

Okay so on to the forecast... CVG hit 79 yesterday and we can expect similar temps if not cracking 80 today. It'll be a breezy day with SW winds gusting 20-30 mph ahead of the next cold front. Temps will drop and stay in the 50s for highs tomorrow thru Wed. We also have a small shower chance (best chance North) Mon night and Tues with the upper trough moving thru. As far as frost chances go, Wed and Thurs mornings offer up the best chances with mid 30s expected in city areas and 29-32 in rural outlying areas. I expect frost advisories to be issued for the entire area on those two nights (Tues night and Wed night). Patchy frost is also possible for Fri morning with the upper 30s expected for CVG Land. Highs for the second half of the week will warm into the 60s with 70s back by either Fri or the weekend. Clear skies at night and sunny days (other then Mon and Tues) can be expected thru the forecast period into next weekend.

In the extended range, our next system might come around the 24-25th and another towards the end of the month. Rain chances might be picking up a bit as well for the last week of the month. That has been my call for a while now and I still see evidence on the models to support it so no changes there from me. Also seeing some colder air building in Canada oozing down into the N Plains so some snowfall in those areas is also looking possible as we get towards the end of the month. I like what I am seeing with regards to some changes finally coming our way. It's still a ways out there so I don't have high confidence just yet, so we'll call it medium being this far out still. Give it another week and we should know the correct answer by then.

The Ensembles are showing ridging poking up into Alaska with a trough over the Pacific NW / N Plains / Rockies and ridging for the Lakes, OV, SE US and into New England with a +NAO / +AO with cold air / trough building over Canada / Greenland areas. That is definitely looking more La Nina like at 500 MB as we go deeper into the Fall. That is not a wintry pattern for us with the ridging over the East, but maybe it'll lead to some rain if we are close enough to the storm track. Not sure if that will remain to our NW or not this far out in time. The pattern I described does match up with the MJO Phase 4-6 progression for the second half of October as we have discussed previously on here so no surprises to be honest at this point. Again, all we are looking for are better rain chances with the new pattern but as long as the ridging remains in place, mild weather will continue after next week's cool spell.
Awesome post Les, I’ll take my chances with any kind of change to 500mb pattern, than what we’ve seen for summer/fall for much of the central part of the country precipitation wise.
Thank you Sir! I don't expect anything wintry for another month plus, and we know mild weather will continue after the cool down next week. However, the more important change if it occurs, will be to get some much needed moisture in here before true winter shows up. I just hope that the SE ridge isn't too strong to keep the deeper moisture and storm track to our NW. That is the only concern that I have at this time. You would think that it shouldn't be overly strong thanks to the tropics drenching the SE US with flooding rainfall so we do have that going for us in terms of getting the storm track into the OV. As usual from this distance, all we can do is see how things line up. But at least the players are going to be on the field after a long absence being in the locker room. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2024 11:06 am
Bgoney wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2024 10:01 am 63 for a low at cvg, if we don’t drop below that before midnight, it’s a top 5 warmest low for the date
Looks like 63 was the low and getting those strong southwest winds at the correct time and you can see a top 5 warmest. See this quite often in the winter with warm and cold especially from late at night until morning when you have the correct timing a record top 5 high or low happens and again the date matters so really just plain luck. So far this month 4 degrees above normal and for the year 3 degrees above normal. Rainfall well below normal for the month a just shy of 2 inches below normal for the year. So why the drought conditions and timing once again. When it rains is important in getting drought conditions and we just happen to have a year where the timing is bad. I have seen years where rainfall is 5 inches or more below normal but the timing was good.

So long term not worried at all and you look over the past 10 years my guess is 7 or more are above normal when it comes to rainfall its the timing that is the main concern. Mother Nature will take care of business as usual.

Wednesday or Thursday morning do we hit 32 or below. Going to be close and yes some outlying areas will easily go below 32 as some this past week were as low as 37 while Cvg and urban areas stayed in the mid 40's. This week though a much larger area of temps in the 30's and some below the 32 degree mark. Will it be a freeze and my guess no because usually you need at least 3 hours of temps 29 or lower and not sure we get to that point this week.
I agree Tim. Frost yes, so protect that tender vegetation, but I also am not forecasting a killing freeze to totally end the growing season.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

79 at CVG as of 3pm. 80+ should be a lock now. The front is just a couple row of counties to our NW. IND has 69 degrees, Bloomington 72.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

We missed it by 1 degree as CVG topped out at 79. I hit 78. Let the week of Fall begin! :) The 40s tonight then we begin our cooler temperature campaign for a good chunk of next week,
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Thank you very much Les and to others, too, for your prayers for my Mom and for Dad and I as she's coming along great PTL! :) She's not allowed to bend over at the waist for a week from this past Thurs (day of her procedure) through next Thurs so we're helping with tasks like picking up things for her e.g. etc. :) She's uses medium-sized Ziploc bags of frozen peas for swelling and discomfort relief. ;)

The downside about these gusty winds is they're sure the pollen mixer as others like Les and Tim can attest to also. ;) My hay fever histamine "war" is full-scale at times.

Currently 68 here in G'ville.
Eric

Greenville, OH
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

HAPPY 48TH BIRTHDAY JR76!! :balloons: :birthday: :birthdaymulticolor: :cake: :)

Enjoy your special day, Wxbuddy, and hopefully our Bengals can pull off a 2nd win on SNF vs the Giants! 8-) **Knocking on wood**! :thumbupright:
Eric

Greenville, OH
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

MVWxObserver wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2024 5:04 pm Thank you very much Les and to others, too, for your prayers for my Mom and for Dad and I as she's coming along great PTL! :) She's not allowed to bend over at the waist for a week from this past Thurs (day of her procedure) through next Thurs so we're helping with tasks like picking up things for her e.g. etc. :) She's uses medium-sized Ziploc bags of frozen peas for swelling and discomfort relief. ;)

The downside about these gusty winds is they're sure the pollen mixer as others like Les and Tim can attest to also. ;) My hay fever histamine "war" is full-scale at times.

We need a killing freeze but hopefully a little frost action this week will help. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

CVG reached 79, DAY 76 and CMH 80 today.
Eric

Greenville, OH
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2024 5:15 pm
MVWxObserver wrote: Sun Oct 13, 2024 5:04 pm Thank you very much Les and to others, too, for your prayers for my Mom and for Dad and I as she's coming along great PTL! :) She's not allowed to bend over at the waist for a week from this past Thurs (day of her procedure) through next Thurs so we're helping with tasks like picking up things for her e.g. etc. :) She's uses medium-sized Ziploc bags of frozen peas for swelling and discomfort relief. ;)

We need a killing freeze but hopefully a little frost action this week will help. :lol:
Sure hope so Bro! :)
Eric

Greenville, OH
dce
EF5 Tornado

Post by dce »

Looks as though Canada will be getting colder over the next couple of weeks. Good to see! Hopefully this trend will continue. This is the next two weeks snowfall forecast from the Euro.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doug

Huber Heights
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

That looks really nice Doug for so early in the season. A good thing for cold air to become available. Now we just need the right pattern to get it into our hoods. Currently, I favor the West / N Plains early on as you would expect.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good morning folks! 50 IMBY this morning with the same at CVG. We should slip into the 40s before the sun comes up. Look for cloudy skies and breezy conditions today with highs in the 50s. A few showers are possible tonight so no frost due to the cloud cover. That'll keep us in the 40s. Same for Tuesday. We will clear out after midnight Tues night then the frost threat is on. Mid 30s excepted at CVG, cooler for outlying areas. Wed night is the coldest night with low to mid 30s at CVG so a definite frost then 100%. Could see below freezing temps in outlying areas for sure. Wed should also see highs in the 50s with sunshine. We moderate beginning on Thurs with the 60s. Friday may get close to 70 and in the 70s this weekend with plentiful sunshine. Not seeing any rainfall for us in the extended range until the last week of the month. That is when changes are looming. See my long post from yesterday morning for the details in case you missed it.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Where the country has been temp wise since the beginning of Sept and the medium range future for precip

IMG_2440.jpeg
IMG_2438.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 9:24 am Where the country has been temp wise since the beginning of Sept and the medium range future for precip

IMG_2440.jpegIMG_2438.jpeg
Pretty much a broken record lol The only changes coming up down the road that I see on those maps are for the West to turn cooler and we will keep seeing ridging from time to time. This continues into November as well. Hopefully, we will start to see more moisture towards the end of the month and into November as has been previously discussed. Fingers crossed!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tron777 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 10:40 am
Bgoney wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 9:24 am Where the country has been temp wise since the beginning of Sept and the medium range future for precip

Pretty much a broken record lol The only changes coming up down the road that I see on those maps are for the West to turn cooler and we will keep seeing ridging from time to time. This continues into November as well. Hopefully, we will start to see more moisture towards the end of the month and into November as has been previously discussed. Fingers crossed!
Three years in a row we’ll be going deep into fall and more than likely part of the winter with many parts of the country in a drought status of varying degrees
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 10:50 am
tron777 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 10:40 am

Three years in a row we’ll be going deep into fall and more than likely part of the winter with many parts of the country in a drought status of varying degrees
Yeah. Not a good thing either as you already know. Like we have said before, how will the drought play a role in getting moisture for snow storms this winter? We'll just have to wait and see. I do think the SE ridge will be back for this winter so there's that.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

In the shorter term, and maybe this is just me, but I kind of like seeing gray skies again! It beats the endless string of blue skies that we have been seeing. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Jacob755
Rain Shower

Post by Jacob755 »

tron777 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 11:45 am In the shorter term, and maybe this is just me, but I kind of like seeing gray skies again! It beats the endless string of blue skies that we have been seeing. :lol:
I miss the clouds :)
Owner of Cincinnati Regional weather Center https://www.facebook.com/CincinnatiDelh ... tid=LQQJ4d
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Jacob755 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 12:13 pm
tron777 wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 11:45 am In the shorter term, and maybe this is just me, but I kind of like seeing gray skies again! It beats the endless string of blue skies that we have been seeing. :lol:
I miss the clouds :)
Yes! It makes it easier to drive too without that sun glare. :thumbsup:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

dce
EF5 Tornado

Post by dce »

Give it about two or three more weeks and that lake effect rain band coming off of Lake Michigan could be snow.
Doug

Huber Heights
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

dce wrote: Mon Oct 14, 2024 2:07 pm Give it about two or three more weeks and that lake effect rain band coming off of Lake Michigan could be snow.
With the lake waters so warm, whenever we do see the first arctic air mass of the season, you know the LES is going to be epic for somebody!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

I love this weather and a perfect autumn day. Low 50's and very little sun and for me anything under 60 sounds great. No frost tonight but chancs do go up Wednesday and Thursday mornings and maybe Friday especially if you live further east. Warm up will come but 80's are done for the season and should see those back in April 2025. Notice models getting a little busier in the longer term and again after mid-October most years we do get into that second rainy season for about 6 weeks or so and lets hope we do well during this time period
House of Cards
Thunder Storm

Post by House of Cards »

So, I just let my dog out, it is spritzing a little, BUT, the first couple "spritzes" were little white flecks. I know, doesn't count for First Snowfall of the Season, but it was kind of nice to see Snow hasn't abandoned us completely :lol: !
Located at intersection of Blue Rock Rd and I-275/SR 126 Hwy in Colerain