Lawn & Garden Thread

Everything Outdoors including gardening, landscaping, fishing, camping, hunting, and more!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: Lawn & Garden Thread

Post by tron777 »

Harper, Colton, and Cooper helped me with Uncle Les's 2024 Gardening Update Video:

Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:54 pm Harper, Colton, and Cooper helped me with Uncle Les's 2024 Gardening Update Video:

Sweet kiddos! 8-)

Hey Les, how are they when it comes to a lettuce or spinach-based salad e.g.? :) I know some kids turn their noses up when it comes to salads. :lol:

I'm not one for tomatoes, non-fried onions, squash, Brussels sprouts, asparagus, olives, turnips, collards, kale, cucumbers e.g., I have a strange palate in that way. :lol: ;) Its a thing with texture of certain foods, too. :lol:

Asparagus to me, smells like someone "broke wind". :lol:
Eric

Greenville, OH
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

MVWxObserver wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:33 pm
tron777 wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 6:54 pm Harper, Colton, and Cooper helped me with Uncle Les's 2024 Gardening Update Video:
Sweet kiddos! 8-)

Hey Les, how are they when it comes to a lettuce or spinach-based salad e.g.? :) I know some kids turn their noses up when it comes to salads. :lol:

I'm not one for tomatoes, non-fried onions, squash, Brussels sprouts, asparagus, olives, turnips, collards, kale, cucumbers e.g., I have a strange palate in that way. :lol: ;) Its a thing with texture of certain foods, too. :lol:

I don't know if they have ever had salad before. Harper and Cooper love tomatoes though. Colton is way more picker of an eater then they are.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 4:27 am
MVWxObserver wrote: Thu Jun 13, 2024 7:33 pm
Sweet kiddos! 8-)

I don't know if they have ever had salad before. Harper and Cooper love tomatoes though. Colton is way more picker of an eater then they are.
I have a second cousin in Anderson, IN on my Dad's side of the family who is also picky. My folks, sister, and I resided in southeast NY state about 1 1/2 hours from NYC for 2 1/2 years in the 1980s and we had this cousin and his wife for a visit as they headed home from a skiing trip in VT. My cousin Jerry has a comical wit and he. his wife Jeannine, and myself had our backs toward a fireplace at our table during a dinner at a fancy restaurant. Some mixed vegetables came as part of my cousin's entree and he grabbed the bowl of mixed veggies and gestured pretending to start to toss it into the fireplace. :lol:
Eric

Greenville, OH
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

lol, awesome Les. Very entertaining few minutes. See you have your hands full trying to keep up with all that energy
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Fri Jun 14, 2024 10:41 am lol, awesome Les. Very entertaining few minutes. See you have your hands full trying to keep up with all that energy
LOL no doubt! The funny thing is.... we used to be their age and we used to have that kind of energy too! :lol: Wow! Where did the time go?
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I'll be picking a handful of wax beans that are just about ready this week. Bush beans won't be far behind...

EDIT: I'll be picking them tomorrow for supper. Maybe a few bush beans too! The KY White Half runners should be coming in probably in another week to two weeks.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Picked my second batch of bush / wax beans yesterday and I ended up blanching them and freezing them. This is because I also picked the first batch of KY white half runner beans and I ate those for dinner last night. :thumbsup: Tomato wise, nothing yet since all of the tomatoes are still green and they continue to develop and grow. Some are good sized and have not started to ripen yet. Flowers / spices are doing good especially the parsley! We have been cutting it for a while now and there is still a ton of it lol Despite the short term drought my area is under, we are getting by pretty good minus the crunchy lawn of course.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I will be picking another batch of KY white 1/2 runners, bush, and wax beans next week before my party. I also picked my first tomato of the season today as well! That will be eaten for dinner tonight. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I have picked about 3 or 4 big tomatoes now and a couple more are ripening. I continue to pick bush and wax beans every week. The KY white half runners are done for the season. You only get about 3 pickings off of them and then the beans just don't taste as good. So I ripped those plants out and planted more bush bean seeds for a late season crop. I continue to harvest spices for cooking and the flowers continue to thrive too. Not the best growing season I have had (thanks to the deer) but not the worst either. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

It’s been a good season of harvest. The constant summer droughts and watering just get old and take a lot of the satisfaction away. I never used to have to water anything starting in late May , until the last 4 years . Maybe a bit in mid /late July back in the day , now it’s an added daily chore and I’m pretty much at wits end with these yearly droughts . I’ve been saying after each drought the last 3 years, “well at least it can’t get any worse “ and each year has. This year I’m saying “OMG how much worse is going to get?”
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I'm proud of the tomato season I am having. Big ones, the side of softballs! :) Bean production is down though. I'm used to watering living in The Dome. Nothing new here. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Weather is taking a backseat for a while…. I’m now a grandpa (can you believe it) as of last night. All is well . It’s a girl!!!!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:42 am Weather is taking a backseat for a while…. I’m now a grandpa (can you believe it) as of last night. All is well . It’s a girl!!!!
Congratulations Grandpa! I know you'll enjoy every second of it as I do being an Uncle to my brother's kids. :thumbsup:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Bgoney wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:42 am Weather is taking a backseat for a while…. I’m now a grandpa (can you believe it) as of last night. All is well . It’s a girl!!!!
Congratulations Bgoney, your wife, and the rest of your family!! 8-)
Eric

Greenville, OH
Mjr
Rain Shower

Post by Mjr »

Great news and even better “all is well”
My youngest is do on July 31st her first our 6th grandchild.
Mjr
Rain Shower

Post by Mjr »

tron777 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 6:40 pm I'm proud of the tomato season I am having. Big ones, the side of softballs! :) Bean production is down though. I'm used to watering living in The Dome. Nothing new here. :lol:
We have been picking half runners for about 10 days now. Leaves are starting to yellow so the bean season
Is winding down. Tomato’s are finally turning. Learned a hard lesson about corn. Planted about a pound of sweet corn seeds
And thought I could add a row of ornamental corn onto the last section. Big mistake! They crossed pollinated.
The sweet corn isn’t so sweet. And all the ears we harvested even have kernels of various colors from the ornamental corn.
Yesterday I went back out to the corn patch and started cutting then down to feed to our cows and chicken.. I have to admit, this was not my finest hour :banghead:
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Mjr wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 4:12 pm
tron777 wrote: Wed Jul 17, 2024 6:40 pm I'm proud of the tomato season I am having. Big ones, the side of softballs! :) Bean production is down though. I'm used to watering living in The Dome. Nothing new here. :lol:
We have been picking half runners for about 10 days now. Leaves are starting to yellow so the bean season
Is winding down. Tomato’s are finally turning. Learned a hard lesson about corn. Planted about a pound of sweet corn seeds
And thought I could add a row of ornamental corn onto the last section. Big mistake! They crossed pollinated.
The sweet corn isn’t so sweet. And all the ears we harvested even have kernels of various colors from the ornamental corn.
Yesterday I went back out to the corn patch and started cutting then down to feed to our cows and chicken.. I have to admit, this was not my finest hour :banghead:
Glad to hear you are having a good season (minus the corn of course lol) My half runner season ended several weeks ago. Trying to recover from the deer destroying my bush beans. I have the issue resolved now, just waiting on the late crop to mature later this summer and early into the fall. Still picking tomatoes and will be having BLT's this week! :) Congrats also on the next grandchild. :thumbsup:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Tomatoes and green beans continue to roll in! :) How is everyone's harvest going?
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Beans and tomatoes continue to come in, and should continue to do so for the next several weeks. Could use more rain for the lawn, but it is what it is. I will have some reseeding to do during the cooler months for sure. Hope you all are having some success this year with the veggies!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Still getting some tomatoes but that season is winding down. My late green bean crop is looking very good and I will be picking the first batch of those for diner today, Chives are going to seed as they do every year this time of year. the other spices are doing great and we continue to use those for cooking. Whatever is left by the time the weather turns cold will be dehydrated for later use. The only compliant really that I have is the lawn and how terrible it is looking. That is of course due to the drought. Not much I can do until we see some rain.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Have two tomato stalks left, another week or so I’ll toss those two. Froze a ton of them. Green peppers are still going crazy , I have to stake those just like the tomatoes . Froze them also. Trying to start some lettuce and peas but the hot high temps keep them stunted. So as Les says “we shall see”. Been cutting down and cleaning up perennials for a while. Just useless in trying to water them at this point . Keeping my evergreens watered is my priority
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

My season is winding down. Getting a few beans and tomatoes but after a couple more weeks the plants won't be producing anymore and that'll pretty much be a wrap on my season. the lawn is shot for obvious reasons.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

This past weekend was major watering event for my landscaping. Watered most of my conifers/evergreens as deeply as reasonably possible. Probably be doing that every 7-10 days as long as the above normal temps hang around .
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Same. Just keeping the essentials watered here too. (Thanks to your advise of course Bgoney and Kris when we see him post lol)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page