August 2024 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: August 2024 Weather Discussion

Post by tron777 »

House of Cards wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 8:41 am Feels glorious outside!!!!! Got the lawn mowed last night, have some weed trimming to do to complete it today, but wow. Love this time of the year!
In about 48-60 hours from now, I'm not going to like it one bit! :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Drought update.... still tough for Ohio.

Drought.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Small improvement along the river, but worsening for most other drought areas(71south), with northuIndiana/NW Ohio missing out last week . We’ll see more real estate added to the D0/D1 status next week for sure
Last edited by Bgoney on Thu Aug 22, 2024 10:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 10:40 am Small improvement along the river, but worsening for most other drought areas(71south). We’ll see more real estate added to the D0/D1 status next week
No doubt. Even though the temps have been cool this week, the low humidity will zap any ground moisture that was there. Then we tack on some 90s for extra insult to injury.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tron777 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 10:43 am
Bgoney wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 10:40 am Small improvement along the river, but worsening for most other drought areas(71south). We’ll see more real estate added to the D0/D1 status next week
No doubt. Even though the temps have been cool this week, the low humidity will zap any ground moisture that was there. Then we tack on some 90s for extra insult to injury.
Yep , this type of weather I have to actually add way more water to people’s pools than the hot humid dry stretches. So , something to think about as far as keeping up with plant watering.

With the easy forecast of zero rain chances it’s been a good time to start on some gutter repairs and asphalt repair maintenance. Get’er done kind of weather
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 11:01 am
tron777 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 10:43 am
Yep , this type of weather I have to actually add way more water to people’s pools than the hot humid dry stretches. So , something to think about as far as keeping up with plant watering.

With the easy forecast of zero rain chances it’s been a good time to start on some gutter repairs and asphalt repair maintenance. Get’er done kind of weather
Another good thing about the dry weather is you save on gas costs since you are mowing less often. For the bulk of the summer, I have only been mowing every 2 or 3 weeks. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

12Z GFS is mainly dry now until we get to the second half of next week. I still think we've got 3 or 4 days at or above 90 on the way.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tron777 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 12:39 pm 12Z GFS is mainly dry now until we get to the second half of next week. I still think we've got 3 or 4 days at or above 90 on the way.
I think that’s the way to go with precip. NWflow and time of year means little if any precip in the foreseeable forecast future
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 1:00 pm
tron777 wrote: Thu Aug 22, 2024 12:39 pm 12Z GFS is mainly dry now until we get to the second half of next week. I still think we've got 3 or 4 days at or above 90 on the way.
I think that’s the way to go with precip. NWflow and time of year means little if any precip in the foreseeable forecast future
I just hope that the last Euro run which was basically dry out to Day 10 is wrong.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

CPC agrees with our thoughts

IMG_2104.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Ugh. Maybe the Euro is on to something after all. It is a beautiful late afternoon day outside though. Just started up the grill for a baked potato and a steak for dinner!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Evening and another beautiful day. The heat will return but not sure about the really high humidity. With no rain in sight we are starting to get into that late August-mid-September type of weather with big ranges from lows in the morning to highs in the afternoon. I can see sometime next week where we are 30-35 difference in lows and highs. So yes hot but not the excessive heat and humidity. Then by Labor Day weekend and if the tropics stay quiet we can get a nice cold front in here and you could see temps in the upper 70's and lows in the 50's once again. Rainfall looks rather bleak and this time the Euro may be the best way to go in terms of rainfall for the next week or so.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Both CVG / CMH reached 80 and DAY 78 today.
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Fri Aug 23, 2024 9:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric

Greenville, OH
Jacob755
Rain Shower

Post by Jacob755 »

My weather station reached the high temperature of 80 on the 22 of Aug
Owner of Cincinnati Regional weather Center https://www.facebook.com/CincinnatiDelh ... tid=LQQJ4d
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Jacob755 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 1:39 am My weather station reached the high temperature of 80 on the 22 of Aug
Welcome to the forum Jacob! We welcome any reports, obs, or questions that you may have. You can of course throw out a forecast or your thoughts at any time. :) Thanks for being here!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good morning folks! Last morning in the 50s, 54 here currently. The humidity slowly begins to creep in this weekend and it'll feel awful for next week. Due to the Euro looking as the model that may end up being correct, we are going to get one heck of a string of 90s coming up. 4-6 days at or above 90 degrees is my new call unfortunately. The GFS continues to have better rain chances versus the Euro. GEFS is also drier then the OP GFS (I just checked) so that is not good. As Bgoney and I have discussed, the drought will definitely worsen. For those along and NW of I-71 is isn't so bad, but for folks SE of I-71 the scenario is much worse.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Morning and wow yesterday was almost the perfect weather day with temp near 80 with low humidity and a wonderful breeze. I say perfect day except my perfect day is 38 degrees rain and wind. Les your forecast looks good. It looks like the gfs is trying to form something in the GOM in about 9 or 10days. We will watch since we are heading towards peak time for the Hurricane season Even though the average temp for the month is around 1 degree below normal we should end up being slightly above normal before August is over but really not a bad August except in the rain department.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 7:01 am Good Morning and wow yesterday was almost the perfect weather day with temp near 80 with low humidity and a wonderful breeze. I say perfect day except my perfect day is 38 degrees rain and wind. Les your forecast looks good. It looks like the gfs is trying to form something in the GOM in about 9 or 10days. We will watch since we are heading towards peak time for the Hurricane season Even though the average temp for the month is around 1 degree below normal we should end up being slightly above normal before August is over but really not a bad August except in the rain department.
Agreed Tim... something should form during the first week of September in the Gulf. What happens from there is anybody's guess. We need the rain and a tropical system would sure help us out if we were to get that lucky. You never know. :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Jacob755 wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 1:39 am My weather station reached the high temperature of 80 on the 22 of Aug
Welcome to the AV Community Family, Jacob! :)
Eric

Greenville, OH
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Yesterday evening was perfect for some Bocce ball e.g. as my Dad and I played with some new friends from here in the 'hood and we did a split winning game 1 and they won game 2. 8-) Got some more practice in for the Bocce league games in Sept and Oct! :)

Currently 57 here in G'ville and progged for around 80. :sunny:
Eric

Greenville, OH
winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

tpweather wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 7:01 am Good Morning and wow yesterday was almost the perfect weather day with temp near 80 with low humidity and a wonderful breeze. I say perfect day except my perfect day is 38 degrees rain and wind. Les your forecast looks good. It looks like the gfs is trying to form something in the GOM in about 9 or 10days. We will watch since we are heading towards peak time for the Hurricane season Even though the average temp for the month is around 1 degree below normal we should end up being slightly above normal before August is over but really not a bad August except in the rain department.
Good morning Les, I've seen a couple trends on the GFS where we could see the best cool down after Labor Day heading into later that week and MAYBE a better chance of rain? It's fantasy land though! :lol:
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

winterstormjoe wrote: Fri Aug 23, 2024 9:25 am
Good morning Les, I've seen a couple trends on the GFS where we could see the best cool down after Labor Day heading into later that week and MAYBE a better chance of rain? It's fantasy land though! :lol:
I was hoping the cool down would come around Labor Day weekend. That was my original call / thinking. But like you said Joe, it will probably be after Labor Day at this point. Summer is going tog old on for a while with a late season heat wave also (although not unheard of).
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Jacob755
Rain Shower

Post by Jacob755 »

This morning‘s ILN Weather balloon launch from Wilmington Ohio had a very interesting temperature inversion at about 700 feet! The low temperature from this morning was 55° At Dehil Also, thanks for all the welcome message! I want to try to be active on here
Owner of Cincinnati Regional weather Center https://www.facebook.com/CincinnatiDelh ... tid=LQQJ4d
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

82 with a dew of 48 at CVG per the 1pm reading. The best chance for rain next week may not come until Friday with a cold front that finally will make some headway into the region. Chances prior to next Friday look awfully slim.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page