July 2024 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
Mjr
Rain Shower

Re: July 2024 Weather Discussion

Post by Mjr »

Had .3 earlier, and .2 just finished up. Total in the last 36 hours 1.6
Got my yard mowed in between the rains.
It’s been about two weeks since the last mow.
Light weed eating as well
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

The Dome is back! Had one cell pass by to the S earlier, now one to my NW. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Evening. 0.32 from the 1st round and 1.51 from the second and the third is underway.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good morning all! The front is moving into the area now so just a slim shot this morning then it's game over until Sunday afternoon. Next week continues to look active so we'll see what happens there once we get closer.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 4:33 am Good morning all! The front is moving into the area now so just a slim shot this morning then it's game over until Sunday afternoon. Next week continues to look active so we'll see what happens there once we get closer.
Good Morning Les and your forecast looks great. Still believe a stray shower this afternoon but most folks will remain dry. This front means business and when there is not a strong Bermuda High near us during the summer fronts really can advance much further than normal. The return flow probably starts Saturday as we start to ramp up the dew points and even Sunday morning I could see some rain with the advancing front. Next week looks steamy with temps and dew points on the rise plus we will be seeing some decent action for late July.

Looking back at this month and before all is said and done CVG will be above normal for rainfall and temps almost normal. Not quite the hot and dry month that models were showing and again the later arrival of La Nina is one key along with the delay of the southwest monsoon. Normally once the southwest monsoon season starts we tend to get a nice shot of warmer air and sometimes like this year it may come with some decent rains. Part of the reason is the GOM is loaded and still very warm plus folks to our south have been getting decent rains so the vegetation is doing well so that flow from the GOM should have no problem making it here next week. Still looking at the chances of an MCS or two later next week but of course way to early to find the exact location but with some heat to the west this can no doubt help in forming some strong complexes. Not sure how long they last as we may finally see some of the heat take hold but the more rain we can get next week the longer we can hold some of the heat back. Less than 2 months til fall so that is always good news
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Got another 0.11 with the third round so a nice total of 1.94 which no doubt helps out big time in my local area.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:04 am
tron777 wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 4:33 am Good morning all! The front is moving into the area now so just a slim shot this morning then it's game over until Sunday afternoon. Next week continues to look active so we'll see what happens there once we get closer.
Good Morning Les and your forecast looks great. Still believe a stray shower this afternoon but most folks will remain dry. This front means business and when there is not a strong Bermuda High near us during the summer fronts really can advance much further than normal. The return flow probably starts Saturday as we start to ramp up the dew points and even Sunday morning I could see some rain with the advancing front. Next week looks steamy with temps and dew points on the rise plus we will be seeing some decent action for late July.

Looking back at this month and before all is said and done CVG will be above normal for rainfall and temps almost normal. Not quite the hot and dry month that models were showing and again the later arrival of La Nina is one key along with the delay of the southwest monsoon. Normally once the southwest monsoon season starts we tend to get a nice shot of warmer air and sometimes like this year it may come with some decent rains. Part of the reason is the GOM is loaded and still very warm plus folks to our south have been getting decent rains so the vegetation is doing well so that flow from the GOM should have no problem making it here next week. Still looking at the chances of an MCS or two later next week but of course way to early to find the exact location but with some heat to the west this can no doubt help in forming some strong complexes. Not sure how long they last as we may finally see some of the heat take hold but the more rain we can get next week the longer we can hold some of the heat back. Less than 2 months til fall so that is always good news
Sunday is certainly looking better for PM rain chances then on previous model runs. The later arrival of La Nina and the warming oceans are going to make it tough for La Nina to be strong for the upcoming winter. If it can remain on the weaker side, that would be much better news for cold and snow lovers that is for sure. We will get into that more down the road in our La Nina thread. For now... we look to Sunday on into next week for additional storm chances as well as the tropics to see how they impact our pattern as August and Sept roll on.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Stepped outside and it feels wonderful compared to yesterday. I thought it felt horrible on Wednesday early on and then the sky finally opened up and what a nice round of rain. Love to see a few more rounds next week which will no doubt help the vegetation.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:22 am Stepped outside and it feels wonderful compared to yesterday. I thought it felt horrible on Wednesday early on and then the sky finally opened up and what a nice round of rain. Love to see a few more rounds next week which will no doubt help the vegetation.
My yard is still crunchy. I need to see exactly what you got yesterday lol
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

As far as potential for a widespread regional soaking, next week is the best it has looked all summer, IMO. We should finally see the low level moisture from the Bermuda high moving more up river into our region instead of well to our west in the Mississippi/Missouri valleys where it combined with the NWflow. Both those ingredients should be in the OV region next week, hopefully longer
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 8:44 am

As far as potential for a widespread regional soaking, next week is the best it has looked all summer, IMO. We should finally see the low level moisture from the Bermuda high moving more up river into our region instead of well to our west in the Mississippi/Missouri valleys where it combined with the NWflow. Both those ingredients should be in the OV region next week, hopefully longer
Fingers crossed! :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Afternoon and though we will have a cold front move through the lower dew points are not going to be that low. Normally you would see this to the northwest but in this case the front with the less humid air is more north/northeast compared to northwest. So yes they will fall but probably not much below 63 or 64 locally but if you live further north and especially northeast I can see dew points in the upper 50's. This is something more common this time of year until about mid-late August but not sure this will be something we see quite often this summer because the pattern is not really shaping up that way at the moment. Still could get an isolated shower today but most folks will remain dry
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

12Z GFS is showing decent coverage for Sun - Tues afternoons. Sure hope it actually comes to fruition.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Still liking what the models are offering starting late Sunday or Monday into next week with a more region wide beneficial rains . It’s not a tropical system per Se but the moisture funneling up river will be of tropical origin out of the western GOM. Hopefully things stay on the right track
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

86 here today, 85 CVG. Still a bit on the humid side for my taste behind the front as Tim mentioned. Dews may drop into the low 60s though so it's better then 70+.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Both CVG / CMH reached 86 and DAY 81 today.
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Fri Jul 26, 2024 8:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric

Greenville, OH
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Evening and a nice breeze coming in this evening. Concerning Sunday through Tuesday and yes the moisture will be on the increase and from the GOM. How much rain and again way to early but it does look like if you get under a nice thundershower the rain totals can add up quickly. I hope this is a widespread event but just a little too early and as we know mid-summer is usually not a time you see widespread rainfall. I will wait at least until later Friday and probably Saturday to see if we can pinpoint this down. I still believe we can see some rain early as Sunday morning with the first push of moisture. Then later Sunday a much better shot lasting until at least Monday and maybe Tuesday. We are taking the grandkids to Kings Island on Tuesday so my guess that is when it will pour lol.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tpweather wrote: Thu Jul 25, 2024 7:06 pm Good Evening and a nice breeze coming in this evening. Concerning Sunday through Tuesday and yes the moisture will be on the increase and from the GOM. How much rain and again way to early but it does look like if you get under a nice thundershower the rain totals can add up quickly. I hope this is a widespread event but just a little too early and as we know mid-summer is usually not a time you see widespread rainfall. I will wait at least until later Friday and probably Saturday to see if we can pinpoint this down. I still believe we can see some rain early as Sunday morning with the first push of moisture. Then later Sunday a much better shot lasting until at least Monday and maybe Tuesday. We are taking the grandkids to Kings Island on Tuesday so my guess that is when it will pour lol.
Hi Tim, the retirement community neighborhood where my folks and I reside, there will be a dedication ceremony for a brand new bocce ball court outside at 4 PM on Tues. If need be may have to Plan B inside the village clubhouse bldg for it.
Eric

Greenville, OH
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good morning all! Headed to Lake Erie for the weekend after work today. My Brother, myself, and his neighbor.... we will be perch fishing and if we can't get them to go, walleye of course. ;) Weather looks good tomorrow and Sunday up there! For us locally, you know the forecast. No changes. T-storm chances begin Sun afternoon thru at least Tues of next week, probably longer then that. On the days where you see rain, the 80s for highs. We could tickle 90 on the days where it doesn't rain. It'll be humid of course also.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tron777 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 4:37 am Good morning all! Headed to Lake Erie for the weekend after work today. My Brother, myself, and his neighbor.... we will be perch fishing and if we can't get them to go, walleye of course. ;) Weather looks good tomorrow and Sunday up there! For us locally, you know the forecast. No changes. T-storm chances begin Sun afternoon thru at least Tues of next week, probably longer then that. On the days where you see rain, the 80s for highs. We could tickle 90 on the days where it doesn't rain. It'll be humid of course also.
Good luck Les, they make the best filets. What’s the limit on those.?

All you can say for now about next week still, is that it holds good potential regionally, no guarantees. A long way to go for many areas to get drought improvement and root zone soil moisture
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 6:01 am
tron777 wrote: Fri Jul 26, 2024 4:37 am Good morning all! Headed to Lake Erie for the weekend after work today. My Brother, myself, and his neighbor.... we will be perch fishing and if we can't get them to go, walleye of course. ;) Weather looks good tomorrow and Sunday up there! For us locally, you know the forecast. No changes. T-storm chances begin Sun afternoon thru at least Tues of next week, probably longer then that. On the days where you see rain, the 80s for highs. We could tickle 90 on the days where it doesn't rain. It'll be humid of course also.
Good luck Les, they make the best filets. What’s the limit on those.?

All you can say for now about next week still, is that it holds good potential regionally, no guarantees. A long way to go for many areas to get drought improvement and root zone soil moisture
Thanks! The limit on perch in the Western and Eastern Basins is 30. 10 is the limit in the Central Basin of Lake Erie.

EDIT: My brother and his wife last weekend come back with 30 or so. :) We are hoping to do better this go around.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Morning Les and enjoy your trip and the weather for late July looks great. Today is beautiful around here and even Saturday will start out nice but the temp and humidity will be on the rise later in the day. Rain chances start early as Sunday morning and models tend to have problems with the first push of moist air and especially if you can get the temp and dew point close early Sunday morning expect some rainfall. Then later Sunday expect a greater chance probably through the end of the week as we could see a few MCS systems head our way. Like you mentioned 80's when we see rainfall but no doubt a drier day we could see a 90 or 91. Either way its going to be muggy next week and lets hope we can cash in on some decent rain for everyone.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good morning Tim and thanks! Definitely could use 2-3" of rain to bring the soil moisture back up. Speaking locally for my own backyard as some areas aren't as bad off. Of course some are probably worse off too. :lol: Hopefully, we can get a tropical system to bring in some moisture later in Aug or in Sept since this time of year, betting on MCS's is risky. Timing and location has not been on our side this summer. Hoping to see that change next week but at the same time, I'm not holding my breath either.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page