August 2023 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Re: August 2023 Weather Discussion

Post by cloudy72 »

tron777 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:19 am I watered last night Tim and ran the sprinkler trying to save a section of my lawn from frying too much. :lol:

Final Totals!

CVG - 0.73"
Me - 1.02"
Boone Co Mesonet - 0.50"
Aha!! I knew someone did the rain dance last night! Kudos to Les! :)
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Haha! No problem Mike. It was too hot to wash my car. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Lenticular
Rain Shower

Post by Lenticular »

Thanks for the words of welcome, good to be part of this community. And thanks for the explanations about what happened this morning when the weather went backwards! 😂
Angelika
Heavy Rain

Post by Angelika »

We got about 1.25" in Fairfield today.
Angela
--
On the border of Hamilton and Butler Counties in Fairfield Ohio
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Some from Wed ...

0249 UNK 1 ESE Sandusky Erie OH 4145 8270 *** 2 INJ *** Erie County EM reporting a large tree into a house with injuries. (CLE)

0747 UNK 2 NE Sidney Shelby OH 4031 8414 Large tree downed along Riverside Road. Time estimated by radar. (ILN)

0847 UNK Washington Court House Fayette OH 3954 8343 Several trees downed in Washington Courthouse and Jeffersonville areas. Time estimated by radar. (ILN)

0928 UNK Blanchester Clinton OH 3929 8398 Partial sheet metal roof removed from outbuilding. Time estimated by radar. (ILN)

0932 UNK Lynchburg Highland OH 3925 8379 Tree down on Route 134. (ILN)

0935 UNK 3 SSW Lynchburg Highland OH 3921 8382 Large tree down on U.S. 50. (ILN)

0950 UNK Lakeview Logan OH 4048 8392 Several large tree branches down and at least 1 large tree uprooted. (ILN)

1039 UNK 1 WNW Saint Paris Champaign OH 4013 8399 Trees and wires down. House lost part of a roof with debris on roadway. (ILN)

1116 61 3 N Clifton Clark OH 3983 8383 AWOS station KSGH Springfield-Beckley Airport. (ILN)
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

CVG and DAY both reached 88 and CMH 89'ed for today.
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:29 am, edited 2 times in total.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

* Primary threats include...

Scattered damaging winds and isolated significant gusts to 85 mph likely

Isolated large hail events to 1.5 inches in diameter possible

A tornado or two possible
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Morning and finally the last day of the heat spell. So far the highest temp this week is 93 on Wednesday and highest heat index 99 on Thursday.

So those temp forecast of mid to upper 90's failed and so far not even 100 on the heat index. Today should be the hottest with the heat index and should pass 100 and maybe hit 105. Temp though should probably stall around 92 or maybe 93 because dew points just too high to get much hotter. Still watching for some showers and thundershowers later today and evening and have not looked at the short term models this morning so will look at those later today to see if they show any action.

The cool air will come in waves and the first early Saturday so temps still in the mid 80's most likely and then cooler air sinks in here later Saturday and Sunday. This will continue all next week with temps slightly below normal early in the week and then another shot of cool air could put us 8-10 degrees below normal and maybe see a few upper 40's for lows late in the week. Not every late August or early September do we see upper 40's but yes it happens and usually when the tropics are not the main item controlling the weather and that is the case this season.

So yes we survived the HEAT WAVE LOL of 2023 and my guess next week if we see temps for highs in the low-mid 70's the media will not mention the cold wave of late August 2023. Yes temps will probably be just as below normal later next week than they were above normal this week. Facts do count though the media lives in make believe land and so many people don't research those facts.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good morning all! Wonderful post Tim as always. 88 yesterday at CVG so sorry that we couldn't pull out an 89 for you. :lol: Today definitely will be in the 90s with the heat index at or above 100. Already in the U70s with dews at 77 making it feel like the mid 80s. Not sure if we will see any storms this afternoon, but we could see a batch move thru early Sat morning. Humid tomorrow but the U80s then finally by Sunday we are good to go! Lower humidity and L80s. Then after we get that front next week (Tues / Tues night time frame) then we're down into the 70s for highs and 50s for lows! That'll work! Still keeping an eye on the tropics for long range implications.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Morning Les. I believe a line of storms should form as the front interacts with the higher humidity. So watching early afternoon to see if a line forms over eastern Illinois and western Indiana. Models not so hot with the precip forecast this week. I agree about the tropics and always something we watch this time of year. So far a dud of a season in the Atlantic and if this continues this may be a early fall season which over the past 20 years or so has not happened much. I already see some trees changing colors and yes much of that with they dry weather lately but seen a few healthy trees turning big time and that makes me think twice about and early start to the fall foliage. Mother Nature always wins. Could we see upper 40's late next week and I believe so just because the ground should still be rather dry and if you get the perfect clear night no wind situation then 47-49 seems possible even at CVG.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Les I finally looked at the short term models and they show exactly what you mentioned with best chance of any rain Saturday morning. No doubt with the southwest wind there is plenty of dry air to overcome in different layers of the atmosphere this afternoon and that may kill my thoughts on a line of storms forming. Still going to watch the radar after 3 or 4pm to see if any action starts taking place. I love it when the models and what I believe is going to happen are in sync but later today that is not the case so my confidence is lower.
winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

tpweather wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:04 am Good Morning and finally the last day of the heat spell. So far the highest temp this week is 93 on Wednesday and highest heat index 99 on Thursday.

So those temp forecast of mid to upper 90's failed and so far not even 100 on the heat index. Today should be the hottest with the heat index and should pass 100 and maybe hit 105. Temp though should probably stall around 92 or maybe 93 because dew points just too high to get much hotter. Still watching for some showers and thundershowers later today and evening and have not looked at the short term models this morning so will look at those later today to see if they show any action.

The cool air will come in waves and the first early Saturday so temps still in the mid 80's most likely and then cooler air sinks in here later Saturday and Sunday. This will continue all next week with temps slightly below normal early in the week and then another shot of cool air could put us 8-10 degrees below normal and maybe see a few upper 40's for lows late in the week. Not every late August or early September do we see upper 40's but yes it happens and usually when the tropics are not the main item controlling the weather and that is the case this season.

So yes we survived the HEAT WAVE LOL of 2023 and my guess next week if we see temps for highs in the low-mid 70's the media will not mention the cold wave of late August 2023. Yes temps will probably be just as below normal later next week than they were above normal this week. Facts do count though the media lives in make believe land and so many people don't research those facts.
Hey Tim, just watch the media blame the dud tropical season on climate change! Lol
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 8:07 am Les I finally looked at the short term models and they show exactly what you mentioned with best chance of any rain Saturday morning. No doubt with the southwest wind there is plenty of dry air to overcome in different layers of the atmosphere this afternoon and that may kill my thoughts on a line of storms forming. Still going to watch the radar after 3 or 4pm to see if any action starts taking place. I love it when the models and what I believe is going to happen are in sync but later today that is not the case so my confidence is lower.
Agreed Tim. My confidence is low for today but gaining momentum for tomorrow.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

...SUMMARY...
Isolated to scattered thunderstorms associated with strong wind gusts and hail are possible this afternoon and evening especially across parts of the the Midwest, and more broadly from the central Plains eastward to the Ohio Valley and Mid-Atlantic States.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

winterstormjoe wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:00 am
tpweather wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:04 am Good Morning and finally the last day of the heat spell. So far the highest temp this week is 93 on Wednesday and highest heat index 99 on Thursday.

Hey Tim, just watch the media blame the dud tropical season on climate change! Lol
Hey Joe and that does not surprise me at all. Gets more insane every year.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Here we go with a temp of 89 but dew point of 80 wow. Heat index of 106 at this hour
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

By far the hottest day this week with the current temp of 91 and dew point of 80 and feels like 109. Even higher dews than I expected today. Heading to Riverbend tonight and wow that will be a sweat fest.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Terre Haute in Indiana last hour reported heat index of 118. Once in awhile you see these in southwest Ky and western Tn but not to often this far north.
winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

tpweather wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:02 pm By far the hottest day this week with the current temp of 91 and dew point of 80 and feels like 109. Even higher dews than I expected today. Heading to Riverbend tonight and wow that will be a sweat fest.
Tim, my friend and his wife are also going to Skynard/ZZ Top in the pavilion, sure hope they have some industrial size fans going.
Today is just downright miserable.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

winterstormjoe wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:10 pm
tpweather wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:02 pm By far the hottest day this week with the current temp of 91 and dew point of 80 and feels like 109. Even higher dews than I expected today. Heading to Riverbend tonight and wow that will be a sweat fest.
Tim, my friend and his wife are also going to Skynard/ZZ Top in the pavilion, sure hope they have some industrial size fans going.
Today is just downright miserable.
Joe, I love concerts as you know but this heat makes me think twice. My daughter and her boyfriend along with my wife are going and this will be the first time my daughter has seen her dad boogie lol
dce
EF5 Tornado

Post by dce »

We had an extreme heart warning yesterday and didn't even need a heat advisory. We have a heat advisory today and we need a heat warning! Lol! Really though, no blame to the NWS. These circumstance are hard to predict!
Last edited by dce on Fri Aug 25, 2023 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Doug

Huber Heights
cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

My low this morning only 79. Currently 89 with a dew of 80! Ouch!
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Busy getting my butt kicked working (what else is new) but I'll go ahead and update our contest thread while I have a spare second.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

BookNerdCarp
EF0 Tornado

Post by BookNerdCarp »

URGENT - WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Wilmington OH
150 PM EDT Fri Aug 25 2023

INZ066-073>075-080-KYZ089>099-OHZ070>072-077>081-260200-
/O.UPG.KILN.HT.Y.0005.000000T0000Z-230826T0200Z/
/O.NEW.KILN.EH.W.0003.230825T1750Z-230826T0000Z/
Franklin IN-Ripley-Dearborn-Ohio-Switzerland-Carroll-Gallatin-
Boone-Kenton-Campbell-Owen-Grant-Pendleton-Bracken-Robertson-
Mason-Butler-Warren-Clinton-Hamilton-Clermont-Brown-Highland-
Adams-
Including the cities of Brookville, Batesville, Milan,
Versailles, Lawrenceburg, Aurora, Rising Sun, Vevay, Carrollton,
Warsaw, Florence, Burlington, Oakbrook, Covington, Erlanger,
Independence, Newport, Alexandria, Owenton, Williamstown,
Crittenden, Dry Ridge, Falmouth, Butler, Augusta, Brooksville,
Mount Olivet, Maysville, Hamilton, Middletown, Fairfield, Oxford,
Mason, Lebanon, Springboro, Wilmington, Blanchester, Cincinnati,
Milford, Georgetown, Mount Orab, Hillsboro, Greenfield,
West Union, and Peebles
150 PM EDT Fri Aug 25 2023

...EXCESSIVE HEAT WARNING IN EFFECT UNTIL 8 PM EDT THIS EVENING...

* WHAT...Dangerously hot conditions with heat index values up to

* WHERE...Portions of Southeast Indiana, Northern Kentucky and
South Central and Southwest Ohio.

* WHEN...Until 8 PM EDT this evening.

* IMPACTS...Extreme heat and humidity will significantly
increase the potential for heat related illnesses,
particularly for those working or participating in outdoor
activities.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Drink plenty of fluids, stay in an air-conditioned room, stay out
of the sun, and check up on relatives and neighbors. Young
children and pets should never be left unattended in vehicles
under any circumstances.

Take extra precautions if you work or spend time outside. When
possible reschedule strenuous activities to early morning or
evening. Know the signs and symptoms of heat exhaustion and heat
stroke. Wear lightweight and loose fitting clothing when
possible. To reduce risk during outdoor work, the Occupational
Safety and Health Administration recommends scheduling frequent
rest breaks in shaded or air conditioned environments. Anyone
overcome by heat should be moved to a cool and shaded location.
Heat stroke is an emergency! Call 9 1 1.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

What a bad week for forecasters. No heat criteria was met yesterday thanks to the morning rainfall and then today, they upgraded us to the warning like in the winter time when a winter storm warning is issued and we already have 3 or 4" on the ground. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page