August 2023 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: August 2023 Weather Discussion

Post by tron777 »

Hello Lenticular! Welcome to our forum. Hope you enjoy your time here and can report observations from where you are. We are always willing to answer questions. We are on the edge of the core of the heat to our West and the trough over New England. These storms, as Tim (Tpweather) was saying, tend to feed off of the heat and humidity so they are diving towards that source from the NE to the SW. These complexes of storms are sometimes referred to as "Ridge Riders" since they track around the edges of the heat dome.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Lenticular wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 7:38 am Hi tpweather, I’m new and trying to learn. What is the disturbance on the eastern edge? A map I looked at seemed like the low pressure boundary was up near Pennsylvania, is that causing this? It does seem rare to see northeast to southwest movement - is there some sort of lull in the area of the jet stream we are in to allow this?

Sorry if the questions seem dumb or the wording doesn’t make sense - just learning!
So glad to have you on the forum and love these tough questions. Many times with the big heat ridges in the summer we get a disturbance and yes sometimes a smaller low pressure that forms between the hot and much cooler air. Many time this happens in the northern and central plains and a system dives south to southeast to find the heat.

This time was somewhat different as we have the disturbance over the Ohio Valley/Eastern Great Lakes are but the only difference is the heat is to the south west of the disturbance/low pressure but its still looking for the heat and this time its to the southwest.

Wonderful question and this is rare though with these heat ridges that are really strong in the central plains that extend to the Ohio Valley these can happen.
cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Welcome Lenticular!! Very rainy here and easily will be over 1”. Much needed indeed! :)
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Awesome Mike! Glad to hear that. Light rain just finally starting here. Waiting on those heavier cells to my North to drop on in. Hopefully the dome can be overpowered this morning. :lol:

EDIT: Rainfall picking up now... finally! :thumbsup:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

young pup
EF4 Tornado

Post by young pup »

Got 2 to 2.3 inches in two rain gauges. AEP did an emergency shut down at my brothers last night at midnight. Taking him a generator now. Be prepared for rolling black out in your neighborhood the next couple of days.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

young pup wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:43 am Got 2 to 2.3 inches in two rain gauges. AEP did an emergency shut down at my brothers last night at midnight. Taking him a generator now. Be prepared for rolling black out in your neighborhood the next couple of days.
JP good and bad news with the needed rainfall but shut downs are not so good. You have been in a much better spot this week with somewhat cooler temps and better chances of rain as you are on the extreme eastern edge of the ridge. I don't ever remember seeing a rolling back out in our area.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:49 am
young pup wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:43 am Got 2 to 2.3 inches in two rain gauges. AEP did an emergency shut down at my brothers last night at midnight. Taking him a generator now. Be prepared for rolling black out in your neighborhood the next couple of days.
JP good and bad news with the needed rainfall but shut downs are not so good. You have been in a much better spot this week with somewhat cooler temps and better chances of rain as you are on the extreme eastern edge of the ridge. I don't ever remember seeing a rolling back out in our area.
Ditto that Tim. Owen Co. Electric has never done that either that I can recall.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Looks like one last round headed this way but this is weakening as we get further into the morning. The steam off the pavement was very cool looking this morning. Temp wise still going with 94 today and Friday but the dew points will make it feel nasty but we have a light at the end of the tunnel. Average temp for CVG is 84/63 so we are heading in the correct direction lol.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

A small break for the Metro while we wait and see if that line impacting our Northern Cincy Burbs can hang on long enough as it drops south to give us one more dose of rain before we call it a day on this event.

Current totals:

CVG - 0.54"
Me - 0.53"
Boone Co mesonet - 0.15"
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

With this heat spell the models have been off about 1-2 degrees in the Ohio Valley. The higher temps have been in the Missouri Valley so we got lucky in some sense it did not expand further east. You can see where the heat sort of expanded quickly north as Wausau hit 95 or just 1 degree short the record. Of course they will be in the mid-40's Sunday Morning. So that little expansion north instead of straight east I believed kept temps down a degree or two.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:53 am A small break for the Metro while we wait and see if that line impacting our Northern Cincy Burbs can hang on long enough as it drops south to give us one more dose of rain before we call it a day on this event.

Current totals:

CVG - 0.54"
Me - 0.53"
Boone Co mesonet - 0.15"
0.52 here so not complaining but would love to see one more quick heavy round this morning but that may not happen as that line to the north is weakening.
Browneyedgirl
Heavy Rain

Post by Browneyedgirl »

I’m closing in on 2 inches of rain this morning.
Lisa
Liberty Township, Butler County

Still learning all this weather stuff!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 8:57 am With this heat spell the models have been off about 1-2 degrees in the Ohio Valley. The higher temps have been in the Missouri Valley so we got lucky in some sense it did not expand further east. You can see where the heat sort of expanded quickly north as Wausau hit 95 or just 1 degree short the record. Of course they will be in the mid-40's Sunday Morning. So that little expansion north instead of straight east I believed kept temps down a degree or two.
Exactly Tim. Great post. I think our forecasted high temps have been working out much better then what the models and the media has been advertising. The trough over New England has been holding firm all summer so the heat had to go more north then NE. The ridge just didn't have any other choice due to the blocking over Greenland that has kept that trough pinned in place.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Browneyedgirl wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:07 am I’m closing in on 2 inches of rain this morning.
Awesome Lisa! :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

snowbo
EF0 Tornado

Post by snowbo »

0.55" here
Brookville, Ohio
Northwest Montgomery county
I70 Corridor
BookNerdCarp
EF0 Tornado

Post by BookNerdCarp »

0.52 IMBY
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

This is great! Glad to see a lot of folks' hoods getting a nice drink out of this. That next line so far is holding together to tack on a bit more to our totals. I love it! :thumbsup:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

1.61" total for me :P
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Mod to hvy rain here with this last round. Waaa Hooo!!! This is awesome. :) I'll post new totals later once it's all done.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:40 am Mod to hvy rain here with this last round. Waaa Hooo!!! This is awesome. :) I'll post new totals later once it's all done.
On the doorstep and just heard thunder again
winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

Drove in to work this morning in the storms with a brief period of pea size hail, blinding rain going sideways and lots of lightning. Had to go in to work as my AC at home isn't working that well with these excessive dew points. Saw lots of ponding of water and some flooded back yards on my way in.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

No hail and not too much wind here. Just a nice rain event with some thunder and some very vivid lightning!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:45 am No hail and not too much wind here. Just a nice rain event with some thunder and some very vivid lightning!
Same here and getting that last round at the moment. Going to a very steamy day and where there be any leftover boundaries. Models were a little to far east with the round this morning and with cloud cover further south and west going to hard to get past the low 90's. Still going 94 but that is quite the climb because of the late start of the heating process. Again I still believe Friday will be the worse day in terms of temp and humidity and believe some thundershowers will form late in the day and evening. Saturday we have the front through here but it can take time to get the coolest or air in here so a day in the upper 80's seems possible but then we will get the push of cooler air in here later Saturday through mid-week
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:52 am
tron777 wrote: Thu Aug 24, 2023 9:45 am No hail and not too much wind here. Just a nice rain event with some thunder and some very vivid lightning!
Same here and getting that last round at the moment. Going to a very steamy day and where there be any leftover boundaries. Models were a little to far east with the round this morning and with cloud cover further south and west going to hard to get past the low 90's. Still going 94 but that is quite the climb because of the late start of the heating process. Again I still believe Friday will be the worse day in terms of temp and humidity and believe some thundershowers will form late in the day and evening. Saturday we have the front through here but it can take time to get the coolest or air in here so a day in the upper 80's seems possible but then we will get the push of cooler air in here later Saturday through mid-week
In addition to the Fri PM chance, some guidance is hinting at another round tracking from the NE to the SW, like this current activity has done. This would be for tomorrow morning so it's something to keep an eye on for sure to see if that occurs or not. If yes, we may only see the low 90s tomorrow also.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

I agree Les and earlier this week models had nothing in terms of rainfall but I thought with the two air masses colliding some storms are going to fire. Models are probably going to the mean and it is normally a drier period from mid-Aug- mid Oct. Rain is coming to an end but nearing .70 so not a bad total at all. Love to see a couple more rounds over the next two days and with a cooler air mass this may save the lawn from getting to burnt out. I noticed late yesterday the lawn was a little crispy in spots so hopefully today's rain will stop that process.