July 2023 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Re: July 2023 Weather Discussion

Post by cloudy72 »

tron777 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:07 pm
cloudy72 wrote: Mon Jul 24, 2023 7:04 pm Congrats on those who got hit this evening! Rooting for Eric and Bgoney to cash in. I think my dome must have moved!
Did you ship the front side of the dome to Greenville and the backside of it to Williamsburg? :lol:
Shhhhh - don’t tell my secret :)
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

2025 UNK McCordsville Hancock IN 3991 8593 Large tree branch down in a residential area. Time approximated from radar. (IND)

2033 100 Lawrence Marion IN 3987 8599 Approximate location. Time estimated from other hail reports in the city. Report obtained from Twitter photo. (IND)

2037 150 1 SSE McCordsville Hancock IN 3989 8592 (IND)

2040 150 1 SSW McCordsville Marion IN 3989 8595 Report from mPING: Ping Pong Ball (1.50 in.). (IND)

2040 UNK 1 SSW McCordsville Marion IN 3989 8595 Report from mPING: Trees uprooted or snapped; Roof blown off. (IND)

2045 100 Aurora Dearborn IN 3906 8490 (ILN)

2045 100 3 NNE Spring Lake Hancock IN 3982 8583 Hail fell for about 7 minutes. (IND)

2050 UNK 3 NE Cumberland Hancock IN 3981 8591 Approximate location. Time estimated from radar. Eighteen inch diameter tree was blown down. (IND)

2104 100 3 W Turpin Hills Hamilton OH 3911 8443 At Lunken Airport. (ILN)

2106 100 1 E Dayton Hamilton OH 3911 8444 Report from mPING: Quarter (1.00 in.). (ILN)

2123 100 1 E Mount Carmel Clermont OH 3910 8428 Report from mPING: Quarter (1.00 in.). (ILN)

2140 UNK 2 NE Underwood Scott IN 3861 8575 Trees down. (LMK)

2145 100 2 N Oakville Delaware IN 4010 8539 Report from mPING: Quarter (1.00 in.). (IND)

2155 UNK 3 N Richwood Union OH 4046 8329 Pole down in the Richwood area. (ILN)

2228 100 4 NE Springfield Clark OH 3998 8376 Report from mPING: Quarter (1.00 in.). (ILN)

2238 UNK 1 W Summit Station Franklin OH 4001 8278 Large branch down. Time estimated from radar. (ILN)

2314 UNK 2 WSW Augusta Bracken KY 3877 8403 A few trees down along Mary Ingles Highway. Time estimated from radar. (ILN)

2355 100 2 N Gahanna Franklin OH 4006 8288 Report from mPING: Quarter (1.00 in.). (ILN)

2355 100 2 SE Huber Ridge Franklin OH 4007 8290 Report from mPING: Quarter (1.00 in.). (ILN)

2359 100 Minerva Park Franklin OH 4008 8294 (ILN)
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Mon Jul 24, 2023 8:28 pm, edited 4 times in total.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Got to 86 at both CVG and DAY and 84 CMH.
airwolf76
EF0 Tornado

Post by airwolf76 »

we have had enough rain in the last month to last the rest of the summer. a heavy shower just went over about half hour ago. the mowing and trimming is twice a week just like the middle of spring. weeds are out of control also
22'/23' snowfall > 11"
23'/24' snowfall > 19.5"
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

airwolf76 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 3:44 am we have had enough rain in the last month to last the rest of the summer. a heavy shower just went over about half hour ago. the mowing and trimming is twice a week just like the middle of spring. weeds are out of control also
I will have to mow this week finally lol Been 9 days now.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good Morning folks! Isolated storms today possible but Wed looks to be the better chance at not only coverage but stronger storms as well. Tim mentioned this first yesterday and after looking at more data from overnight, I also agree. A Marginal risk is out for the S portions of the area and a slight risk out for N Cincy burbs basically on north bound. Enhanced for N OH and S Mich.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Morning and nice to see the rain yesterday. Love to see one more round on Wednesday before we heat up. The overnight models went higher with temps in the Thursday-Saturday period. I will stick with 92 and maybe a 93 at CVG and further west like Indy and Louisville 95 seems possible. Going to be hot and humid but I looked at the calendar and showing late July so it gets hot quite often this time of year. The media acts like its never been this hot in the summer and they continue to throw out this bs and hoping folks believe what they are saying.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:57 am Good Morning and nice to see the rain yesterday. Love to see one more round on Wednesday before we heat up. The overnight models went higher with temps in the Thursday-Saturday period. I will stick with 92 and maybe a 93 at CVG and further west like Indy and Louisville 95 seems possible. Going to be hot and humid but I looked at the calendar and showing late July so it gets hot quite often this time of year. The media acts like its never been this hot in the summer and they continue to throw out this bs and hoping folks believe what they are saying.
It is funny Tim! We have had 3 days at or above 90 so far. That's it! Way, way below avg. We could tack on 4 or 5 this week depending on clouds and storm coverage and we'd still be a little below avg going into August. The humidity this summer hasn't been bad either up until just recently and that's pretty normal for our area too. Other then the rainfall distribution at times.... I have no other complaints about how this summer has gone.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:47 am
tpweather wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 7:57 am Good Morning and nice to see the rain yesterday. Love to see one more round on Wednesday before we heat up. The overnight models went higher with temps in the Thursday-Saturday period. I will stick with 92 and maybe a 93 at CVG and further west like Indy and Louisville 95 seems possible. Going to be hot and humid but I looked at the calendar and showing late July so it gets hot quite often this time of year. The media acts like its never been this hot in the summer and they continue to throw out this bs and hoping folks believe what they are saying.
It is funny Tim! We have had 3 days at or above 90 so far. That's it! Way, way below avg. We could tack on 4 or 5 this week depending on clouds and storm coverage and we'd still be a little below avg going into August. The humidity this summer hasn't been bad either up until just recently and that's pretty normal for our area too. Other then the rainfall distribution at times.... I have no other complaints about how this summer has gone.
Great Post Les and this summer around here has been nice. Sure rainfall distribution is usually a problem in the summer and that is just the nature of rainfall this time of year. Good thing is we are heading towards fall and yes winter. August is my least favorite month because by then I have seen enough warmth lol. Will mow my grass on Wednesday which is only five days apart but I have other things happening at the end of the week so I would like to mow it early than later when it could be hotter by Saturday.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:56 am
tron777 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 8:47 am
Great Post Les and this summer around here has been nice. Sure rainfall distribution is usually a problem in the summer and that is just the nature of rainfall this time of year. Good thing is we are heading towards fall and yes winter. August is my least favorite month because by then I have seen enough warmth lol. Will mow my grass on Wednesday which is only five days apart but I have other things happening at the end of the week so I would like to mow it early than later when it could be hotter by Saturday.
Thanks Tim! Sept can be a pretty boring month for weather too. Aug and Sept are probably some of my least favorite months. :lol: I like October since we slowly begin to see some color as the month goes on and sometimes, the weather can either be great or pretty wild and dynamic. You never know how October is going to go.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

The warmth and humidity should bubble up a few small cells this afternoon and evening but IMO coverage is going to be very low. Some slightly drier air has moved into the region (Lower PWATS under an inch, and dews back in the U60s) behind last evenings action. Then on Wed, we'll get another impulse trying to move in with one possible MCS in the morning. You know the routine, one of those weakening complexes that move in. Then a break, followed by re-development in the afternoon and evening. This is all ahead of the core of the heat (low to mid 90s) that is coming for us all Thurs and Fri. Then I think storm chances re-fire this weekend as a front drops in from the north killing off the 90s and bringing the 80s back in by Sunday or Monday of next week.

My current call for CVG's high temps.

Today - 89'ed
Wed - 91
Thurs - 93
Fri - 94
Sat - 92
Sun - 89'ed

We shall see what happens. Clouds and / or a pop up t-storm nearby can always ruin the above call. Held off on going 95 or hotter since CVG got that rain yesterday to help soak the ground again, which was needed.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

CVG actually finished yesterday with 1.82" of rain! Not a record though for the day. The sensor also recorded a T of snowfall for a record but we know that is bogus. It was hail contamination. The hail core moved over CVG with our t-storm warning last evening. We are only down like an inch now for the year. That does not reflect the region of course just the area around my hood. I tacked on a little more too to give me over an inch on the day. Boone Co mesonet site only got 0.11" and that was it. A sharp cut off in my county for sure.

DAY only got a Trace yesterday and that site is about 1.5" down for the year. At CMH, 1.18" and we have a surplus there at +2.78" That means JP is making some good money now keeping his customers lawns cut. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Glad the outdoor memorial service for my uncle on Sat is at 9:30 and given the forecast in the upper 80s for that afternoon.

Currently 68 here in G'ville and progged for around 86 later on.
winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

tron777 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:58 am CVG actually finished yesterday with 1.82" of rain! Not a record though for the day. The sensor also recorded a T of snowfall for a record but we know that is bogus. It was hail contamination. The hail core moved over CVG with our t-storm warning last evening. We are only down like an inch now for the year. That does not reflect the region of course just the area around my hood. I tacked on a little more too to give me over an inch on the day. Boone Co mesonet site only got 0.11" and that was it. A sharp cut off in my county for sure.

DAY only got a Trace yesterday and that site is about 1.5" down for the year. At CMH, 1.18" and we have a surplus there at +2.78" That means JP is making some good money now keeping his customers lawns cut. :lol:
Looks like I'm going to be real close to my bonus precip forecast of 5.39 for July at CVG (CVG's 90 contest) with CVG at 5.06 so far. Now that can change of course for today's, tomorrow's, and Saturday's scattered chances. LOL
winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

Looks like our camping trip at Brookville will be a sweatfest, especially on Thursday when we're setting everything up...Then we can just sit back and drink some coldies under the canopies as there are no big trees on our sites. Probably head down to the beach also. We'll be bringing lots of fans! Lol
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

winterstormjoe wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:48 am Looks like our camping trip at Brookville will be a sweatfest, especially on Thursday when we're setting everything up...Then we can just sit back and drink some coldies under the canopies as there are no big trees on our sites. Probably head down to the beach also. We'll be bringing lots of fans! Lol
Hi Joe,

My folks, sister and I went to Brookville Lake several times during our days in Hamilton, OH. :) We've never owned a boat but dad for many years had a Mercury outboard motor and he and I would go out on the lake about near the causeway bridge and fish for whatever ~ bluegill, catfish, sunfish e.g. etc. 8-) We all went to Acton Lake at Hueston Woods at times, too. :) Once at Brookville we camped in my paternal grandparents Avion trailer and during my earlier childhood years we camped in a canvas tent at Hueston Woods. :) Hung out at the HW Lodge, too, played in the arcade, swam, fished etc. :)
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

winterstormjoe wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:48 am Looks like our camping trip at Brookville will be a sweatfest, especially on Thursday when we're setting everything up...Then we can just sit back and drink some coldies under the canopies as there are no big trees on our sites. Probably head down to the beach also. We'll be bringing lots of fans! Lol
Joe enjoy your trip and not much for the heat but it beats a rainy vacation. Nice call on the July rainfall total
winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

Hey Tim, that was just luck that CVG got that 1.82 yesterday. :)
winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

MVWxObserver wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:04 am
Hi Joe,

My folks, sister and I went to Brookville Lake several times during our days in Hamilton, OH. :) We've never owned a boat but dad for many years had a Mercury outboard motor and he and I would go out on the lake about near the causeway bridge and fish for whatever ~ bluegill, catfish, sunfish e.g. etc. 8-) We all went to Acton Lake at Hueston Woods at times, too. :) Once at Brookville we camped in my paternal grandparents Avion trailer and during my earlier childhood years we camped in a canvas tent at Hueston Woods. :) Hung out at the HW Lodge, too, played in the arcade, swam, fished etc. :)
Hey Eric, we love Brookville as it's our default camping grounds, We'll be bringing campers/pop-ups but no boats. There will be a water balloon sling shot for the kids (and adults too) to keep cool! Lol
I know exactly where that causeway bridge is. Someone said that there are gar fish in that lake now.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

winterstormjoe wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 10:43 am
tron777 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 9:58 am CVG actually finished yesterday with 1.82" of rain! Not a record though for the day. The sensor also recorded a T of snowfall for a record but we know that is bogus. It was hail contamination. The hail core moved over CVG with our t-storm warning last evening. We are only down like an inch now for the year. That does not reflect the region of course just the area around my hood. I tacked on a little more too to give me over an inch on the day. Boone Co mesonet site only got 0.11" and that was it. A sharp cut off in my county for sure.

Looks like I'm going to be real close to my bonus precip forecast of 5.39 for July at CVG (CVG's 90 contest) with CVG at 5.06 so far. Now that can change of course for today's, tomorrow's, and Saturday's scattered chances. LOL
Yesterday really helped you out too lol
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 11:14 am
Joe enjoy your trip and not much for the heat but it beats a rainy vacation. Nice call on the July rainfall total
I am headed to an inland lake in Michigan for the weekend too! :thumbsup:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Alaska is even getting in on some heat. From NWS Fairbanks:
Fairbanks officially hit 90°F on Monday. The last time that the Fairbanks airport officially hit 90 degrees before Monday was back in June of 2017. We also broke a daily high temperature record for 7/24.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

88 I believe at CVG today so if correct, just short of the contest. 84 now as some thicker haze has moved in.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:49 pm 88 I believe at CVG today so if correct, just short of the contest. 84 now as some thicker haze has moved in.
Good Evening Les, I have not seen the final stats for today but I only saw 86 but I may be wrong. I saw the dew points go down in the early afternoon so that told us very little in the way of showers. Funny yesterday afternoon the models sort of lowered temps for later this week but the overnight models put it higher than before. This afternoon we are seeing the models lowering the temps once again for later this week. So which way is correct and usually it seems to be somewhere in the middle. I believe what we I am seeing is the hottest temps will stay just to our west and yes we still should hit 90-92 for a day or two but the mid-90's to our west. Still believe we had a shot of some storms on Wednesday and maybe Thursday. The good thing over the past month is we got some decent rainfall in the mid-west,Ohio Valley and Tn Valley. This is important when we get these disturbances coming through they can pick up some moisture which keeps them alive plus it send more moisture higher up and makes it a little harder for a cap on the atmosphere. By Friday and Saturday we may have that cap and we see the highest temps of this short term heat wave. Again I may be wrong on how I see this playing out and would love to hear other folks on how they see this playing out.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 6:42 pm
tron777 wrote: Tue Jul 25, 2023 4:49 pm 88 I believe at CVG today so if correct, just short of the contest. 84 now as some thicker haze has moved in.
Good Evening Les, I have not seen the final stats for today but I only saw 86 but I may be wrong. I saw the dew points go down in the early afternoon so that told us very little in the way of showers. Funny yesterday afternoon the models sort of lowered temps for later this week but the overnight models put it higher than before. This afternoon we are seeing the models lowering the temps once again for later this week. So which way is correct and usually it seems to be somewhere in the middle. I believe what we I am seeing is the hottest temps will stay just to our west and yes we still should hit 90-92 for a day or two but the mid-90's to our west. Still believe we had a shot of some storms on Wednesday and maybe Thursday. The good thing over the past month is we got some decent rainfall in the mid-west,Ohio Valley and Tn Valley. This is important when we get these disturbances coming through they can pick up some moisture which keeps them alive plus it send more moisture higher up and makes it a little harder for a cap on the atmosphere. By Friday and Saturday we may have that cap and we see the highest temps of this short term heat wave. Again I may be wrong on how I see this playing out and would love to hear other folks on how they see this playing out.
I saw 86 also Tim officially from NWS so my mistake with that earlier post. The website I used most likely had bad data. :lol: Speaking of storms, SPC shifted the severe risk a bit north for tomorrow. As far as temps go, ILN now has me in the U90s Friday. I like what I posted this morning. 93 is the hottest temp thus far and I can see 94, maybe 95 but upper 90s with that bout of rain we just got, I just can't see it. With lows in the 70s, it'll be very humid too so it's tough to get above 95 honestly with a humid airmass and wet ground.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page