March 2023 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
Trevor
Site Admin

Re: March 2023 Weather Discussion

Post by Trevor »

dce wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:09 am
Trevor wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 6:05 am

Northern posters are having some issues this morning!
I can confirm the northern Montgomery county area is a sheet of ice. Very bad road conditions from the lake effect band that moved through the area. Only a dusting, but it turned into a sheet of ice.
Appreciate the ground reports! Thanks!

Advisory out for most locations until 8.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

Trouble spots at the moment.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Silverton, OH

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

Good news is that once the sun rises at the end of the hour, conditions should rapidly improve. That, and remaining bands should begin to fade as well. Another cold day on tap but any snow issues will be done within the next couple of hours.
Silverton, OH

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good morning all and not much to speak of here. Why the advisory? Wouldn't a snow squall warning suffice in those isolated heavier bands? This is my complaint of the day. The impactful snow was isolated and not very widespread. This is now the second time it's happened. The boy who cried wolf. Better hope that the next issuance isn't the big one! No one will take it seriously.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

This new pattern just isn't producing the snowfall we had hoped for. A risk was for the East Coast to get it and that is what has happened. M<on night into Tues of next week also looking interesting for the East Coast.

For us, same ole, same ole. We warm up, get wet for Thurs night and St. Patty's Day. Cold this weekend then we warm up next week and do it all over again. Not seeing any snow signals really at all in the extended range. This cooler pattern (overall) maybe done in a couple of weeks. Are we done for the season after this morning? Too early to say, but odds aren't in our favor IMHO.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

tron777 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:36 am Good morning all and not much to speak of here. Why the advisory? Wouldn't a snow squall warning suffice in those isolated heavier bands? This is my complaint of the day. The impactful snow was isolated and not very widespread. This is now the second time it's happened. The boy who cried wolf. Better hope that the next issuance isn't the big one! No one will take it seriously.
This advisory I actually agree with. Definitely not much down your way but things have been tricky for a lot of folks on the Ohio side. Lots of accidents. Bad timing and lots of melting/re-freezing. Classic setup for travel troubles during a morning rush.
Silverton, OH

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

7:50 radar update.
Silverton, OH

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Trevor wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:50 am
tron777 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:36 am Good morning all and not much to speak of here. Why the advisory? Wouldn't a snow squall warning suffice in those isolated heavier bands? This is my complaint of the day. The impactful snow was isolated and not very widespread. This is now the second time it's happened. The boy who cried wolf. Better hope that the next issuance isn't the big one! No one will take it seriously.
This advisory I actually agree with. Definitely not much down your way but things have been tricky for a lot of folks on the Ohio side. Lots of accidents. Bad timing and lots of melting/re-freezing. Classic setup for travel troubles during a morning rush.
I watched the news around 6am before rolling out of bed and I saw the advisory on Local 12. I was like WTF? :lol: I saw the radar and looked outside and laughed.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

tron777 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:54 am
Trevor wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 7:50 am
I watched the news around 6am before rolling out of bed and I saw the advisory on Local 12. I was like WTF? :lol: I saw the radar and looked outside and laughed.
Yeah it didn’t verify down your way but definitely did verify for areas river north.
Silverton, OH

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

Getting a decent band here in Lebanon. Covering everything.

Sun is rising so conditions should begin to improve for travel thankfully!
Silverton, OH

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

This loop is just under an hour in length but it illustrates things well. Focus area for travel troubles has mainly been river north.
Silverton, OH

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Morning and I was surprised about the wwa as well. The snow squalls are coming off Lake Michigan and this is a somewhat normal path they take during the winter season. Mainly just northeast of CVG. Les concerning the pattern and we thought this would one for the northeast and we would be on the western edge at best of any snow storms. Still have a shot this weekend with another strong front but time is not on our side and if we miss out this weekend please let it get mild and stay that way.
Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

tpweather wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:21 am Good Morning and I was surprised about the wwa as well. The snow squalls are coming off Lake Michigan and this is a somewhat normal path they take during the winter season. Mainly just northeast of CVG. Les concerning the pattern and we thought this would one for the northeast and we would be on the western edge at best of any snow storms. Still have a shot this weekend with another strong front but time is not on our side and if we miss out this weekend please let it get mild and stay that way.
You know I have no arguments there 😂
Silverton, OH

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

Lots of accidents and reports of snowy/icy roads.
Silverton, OH

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Trevor timing was perfect and with several days of below normal temps road temps fell. Matter of fact these kind of setups and we talked about this can really cause problems with little snow accumulation. The roads just get that thin layer of ice which is worse than having several inches of snow in terms of traction. Happening during the day this time of year no problems except visibility but overnight before the sun rises we saw what can happen after several cold days.
Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

tpweather wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:37 am Trevor timing was perfect and with several days of below normal temps road temps fell. Matter of fact these kind of setups and we talked about this can really cause problems with little snow accumulation. The roads just get that thin layer of ice which is worse than having several inches of snow in terms of traction. Happening during the day this time of year no problems except visibility but overnight before the sun rises we saw what can happen after several cold days.
Precisely; a perfect setup for travel troubles before and during a morning commute unfortunately!
Silverton, OH

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Seeing a few flakes down this way but that's about it. Agreed Tim... the pattern was there for snow we just didn't know for whom. Now we know it is for the East Coast. We will continue with our ups and downs the next few weeks before spring locks in IMO. April could be trending warmer potentially.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

tron777 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:43 am Seeing a few flakes down this way but that's about it. Agreed Tim... the pattern was there for snow we just didn't know for whom. Now we know it is for the East Coast. We will continue with our ups and downs the next few weeks before spring locks in IMO. April could be trending warmer potentially.
A warm April would be a nice change compared to most April’s in the last 5-8 years lol!
Silverton, OH

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

So close for you Les! Some of the more impressive snow showers have finally drifted south of the river into Campbell Co attm.
Silverton, OH

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Trevor wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:46 am So close for you Les! Some of the more impressive snow showers have finally drifted south of the river into Campbell Co attm.
Models that I looked at prior to going to bed last night showed those bands over me instead of to the east. Big time fail. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Advisory has been extended until 10am... :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

.NEAR TERM /UNTIL 6 PM THIS EVENING/...
Winter Weather Advisory Update...
Heavy snow showers have persisted this morning, impacting the
Dayton Metro area. Roadways were quickly snow covered due to
heavy snowfall rates and below freezing air/road temperatures.
These showers will continue to slide southward, impacting the
Cincinnati Metro and surrounding areas over the next hour or so.
As the sun rises, expect road conditions to quickly improve so
the advisory currently goes until 8 am. The advised area and
will duration will be adjusted as needed. Update (7AM)...Given
the trajectory of ongoing snow showers, extended advisory
southeastward into Pike, Scioto, and Lewis KY counties. To give
a little more time for roads to warm up and clear, extended the
entire advisory until 10 AM.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

tron777 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 9:04 am Advisory has been extended until 10am... :lol:
Good call doing so. Lots of travel issues continue across SW and WC Ohio this morning. Conditions are starting to improve though with salt and the sun being up!
Silverton, OH

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

Updated radar loop. East side getting some heavy snow showers at the moment.
Silverton, OH

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

tron777 wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:58 am
Trevor wrote: Tue Mar 14, 2023 8:46 am So close for you Les! Some of the more impressive snow showers have finally drifted south of the river into Campbell Co attm.
Models that I looked at prior to going to bed last night showed those bands over me instead of to the east. Big time fail. :lol:
You know me…I would have gladly given this to you 😂😂
Silverton, OH