March 2023 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: March 2023 Weather Discussion

Post by tron777 »

airwolf76 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:33 am got 1" of snow overnight from the clipper it was from 12-3 am. maybe more this weekend.
What is your seasonal avg / departure now?
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good morning folks! Cooler today with highs either side of 50. That trend continues for the rest of the week. Cooler this weekend in the 40s. So normal to slightly below. Big deal... :lol: Chances for rain still on Thurs night into Fri and again Sunday into Mon of next week. Then can we get anything going mid month / St. Patty's Day time period ? So far, I don't see anything worth getting excited about over the OV. The pattern has changed but the end result still the same. The jets just aren't phasing at the right time despite some blocking. To me, the flow still looks fast.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Complete storm summary from 3/3/23:

https://www.weather.gov/iln/20230303
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tron777 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:39 am Good morning folks! Cooler today with highs either side of 50. That trend continues for the rest of the week. Cooler this weekend in the 40s. So normal to slightly below. Big deal... :lol: Chances for rain still on Thurs night into Fri and again Sunday into Mon of next week. Then can we get anything going mid month / St. Patty's Day time period ? So far, I don't see anything worth getting excited about over the OV. The pattern has changed but the end result still the same. The jets just aren't phasing at the right time despite some blocking. To me, the flow still looks fast.

Yea Pretty much , MJO phase 8 in mid march is a day late and a dollar short for the OV. It extends the pac jet further east into Cowleefornya which is going to get blasted again in the snow and rain dept.
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 8:02 am
tron777 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:39 am Good morning folks! Cooler today with highs either side of 50. That trend continues for the rest of the week. Cooler this weekend in the 40s. So normal to slightly below. Big deal... :lol: Chances for rain still on Thurs night into Fri and again Sunday into Mon of next week. Then can we get anything going mid month / St. Patty's Day time period ? So far, I don't see anything worth getting excited about over the OV. The pattern has changed but the end result still the same. The jets just aren't phasing at the right time despite some blocking. To me, the flow still looks fast.

Yea Pretty much , MJO phase 8 in mid march is a day late and a dollar short for the OV. It extends the pac jet further east into Cowleefornya which is going to get blasted again in the snow and rain dept.
Yeah as the wavelengths shorten, the MJO phases mean different things in spring vs the winter. Phase 8 is no longer good. I believe Phase 1 is still cold though so if we can make it there mid month may offer up one last shot then it's probably over for the season and on to spring.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

airwolf76
EF0 Tornado

Post by airwolf76 »

tron777 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:34 am
airwolf76 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:33 am got 1" of snow overnight from the clipper it was from 12-3 am. maybe more this weekend.
average is around 40" im at 11" right now
22'/23' snowfall > 11"
23'/24' snowfall > 19.5"
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

airwolf76 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:48 am
Oh wow! You need the snow more then we do! :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

Les, at this point I'm just looking forward to the spring/early summer MCS's especially the ones that come in the mornings with the warm fronts. The overnight GFS OP run just has the quick cold intrusions that don't allow for any systems to get involved even though it has these on and off needle thread system around the 17th-19th time frame. I'm kind of hoping that St. Patrick's day will be nice as we're doing a whole day event beginning with a brunch and doing a charity pub crawl which will involve outdoor activities, but in this progressive pattern won't know till at least next Tuesday/Wednesday on the timing of the next front.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

winterstormjoe wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:59 am
Les, at this point I'm just looking forward to the spring/early summer MCS's especially the ones that come in the mornings with the warm fronts. The overnight GFS OP run just has the quick cold intrusions that don't allow for any systems to get involved even though it has these on and off needle thread system around the 17th-19th time frame. I'm kind of hoping that St. Patrick's day will be nice as we're doing a whole day event beginning with a brunch and doing a charity pub crawl which will involve outdoor activities, but in this progressive pattern won't know till at least next Tuesday/Wednesday on the timing of the next front.
I would gladly accept a snow storm at anytime, but I know the odds are slim. It'll be a miserable pattern with 40s and 50s / rain. :lol: Good time to throw some grass seed out. Stuff from last fall doing well since this winter has been so mild.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

tron777 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 11:38 am
winterstormjoe wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:59 am
I would gladly accept a snow storm at anytime, but I know the odds are slim. It'll be a miserable pattern with 40s and 50s / rain. :lol: Good time to throw some grass seed out. Stuff from last fall doing well since this winter has been so mild.
Yeah, I need to get on that along with the weed spreader.
dce
EF5 Tornado

Post by dce »

tron777 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 10:02 am
airwolf76 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 9:48 am
Oh wow! You need the snow more then we do! :lol:
If this map from the Euro was to pan out Charles, you might make up that deficit in just over a week! LOL
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doug

Huber Heights
airwolf76
EF0 Tornado

Post by airwolf76 »

^ I should make that my new avatar
22'/23' snowfall > 11"
23'/24' snowfall > 19.5"
dce
EF5 Tornado

Post by dce »

airwolf76 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 1:40 pm ^ I should make that my new avatar
The way this winter has gone, anything's worth a shot at this point.
Doug

Huber Heights
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Precip chances are dwindling for the Thurs night into Fri system. Some of you will see some light rain, others may get missed altogether. The Sun and Sun night system also doesn't look to be anything decent to speak of. Better precip chances I think occur next week. Hoping for something other then rain but that looks to be on the slim side.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tron777 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:42 pm Precip chances are dwindling for the Thurs night into Fri system. Some of you will see some light rain, others may get missed altogether. The Sun and Sun night system also doesn't look to be anything decent to speak of. Better precip chances I think occur next week. Hoping for something other then rain but that looks to be on the slim side.
I think overall the next 2 weeks precip will average below normal for the OV. The GOM will be temporarily closed with the more zonal flow across the US. The heavier rains should stay in the Tennessee valley and south, with the heavier snow to the north and NE
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 4:26 pm
tron777 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:42 pm Precip chances are dwindling for the Thurs night into Fri system. Some of you will see some light rain, others may get missed altogether. The Sun and Sun night system also doesn't look to be anything decent to speak of. Better precip chances I think occur next week. Hoping for something other then rain but that looks to be on the slim side.
I think overall the next 2 weeks precip will average below normal for the OV. The GOM will be temporarily closed with the more zonal flow across the US. The heavier rains should stay in the Tennessee valley and south, with the heavier snow to the north and NE
Yeah... we seem to be in no man's land between the two jets. Things get going more so over New England. Systems will come thru here to die then re-develop to our east.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Browneyedgirl
Heavy Rain

Post by Browneyedgirl »

My neighbor mowed his grass today. I’m not ready for that quite yet!
Lisa
Liberty Township, Butler County

Still learning all this weather stuff!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good evening all! Got the battery changed in the weather station, good for several more years now. Did some cleaning / maintenance on her. Ready for the year! :) 44 / 21 IMBY at this time. High of 51 today. The ongoing forecast is kind of ho hum with uniform temps over the next week.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:23 pm Good evening all! Got the battery changed in the weather station, good for several more years now. Did some cleaning / maintenance on her. Ready for the year! :) 44 / 21 IMBY at this time. High of 51 today. The ongoing forecast is kind of ho hum with uniform temps over the next week.
Yep, pretty ho hum boring, bro. :)

Currently 36 here in G'ville and progged for around 26 Wed morning.

Yesterday a guy from Wasson Nursery in Muncie came and applied some horticulture oil to some of our shrubs for the season.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Morning and finally the Feb pattern has made it further east. Over at least the next week we finally have changed the pattern. Does that mean winter weather and chances are above normal for March but still not so easy to achieve. The northeast has a better shot of getting some decent snows out of this pattern but normally Feb and March tend to be their time of the year to get hit with snows.

The models over the past few days finally caught onto the cold and part of that is snow cover to the north which is above normal in many areas.So the question is do we see snow here with any of the systems heading this way. At the moment only the system for later Sunday looks like are best chance but with road temps well above normal you need the snow to occur at night or a very heavy snow to fall during the day.

Probably a bigger concern is a hard freeze especially after many of the trees have bloomed.

Good thing for Florida as they expect to get some needed rain as they have been really dry and summer gets there in a hurry in April. Southern plains not as lucky though cooler but with the new pattern not sure how much rain they get over the next few weeks and especially western areas of those two states are in need of rain. The southeast besides Florida look good and more rain expected.
airwolf76
EF0 Tornado

Post by airwolf76 »

it was quite windy overnight I looked out at 12 am and then again at 3 am and both times winds were around 20 mph. even now its breezy around 10 mph and expected to be 15-25 mph out of the northwest today
22'/23' snowfall > 11"
23'/24' snowfall > 19.5"
cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

tron777 wrote: Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:23 pm Good evening all! Got the battery changed in the weather station, good for several more years now. Did some cleaning / maintenance on her. Ready for the year! :) 44 / 21 IMBY at this time. High of 51 today. The ongoing forecast is kind of ho hum with uniform temps over the next week.
Hey Les - how often do you replace the batteries in your unit? I need to do some cleanup on mine as I'm sure some cobwebs and dirt have accumulated. The readings seem ok so if there are any it must not be too bad yet! LOL

BTW my barometer bottomed out at 28.84" with that beast of a storm we had last week and picked up 3.63" rain. :o Seemed high, however a neighbor down the street has a Tempest station and he got almost 5". I know they are notorious for over-counting rainfall.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

cloudy72 wrote: Wed Mar 08, 2023 8:33 am
Hey Les - how often do you replace the batteries in your unit? I need to do some cleanup on mine as I'm sure some cobwebs and dirt have accumulated. The readings seem ok so if there are any it must not be too bad yet! LOL

BTW my barometer bottomed out at 28.84" with that beast of a storm we had last week and picked up 3.63" rain. :o
Mike... this was the first time I have ever had to replace it. You're only really supposed to get 2-3 years out of it. I got way more then that. The display will start flashing "low transmitter battery 1". Then, you just take the cover off from the bottom of the transmitting unit, replace the battery then press the green button to begin transmitting again. Your console may still read the low battery display but it should go away in a day or two. The system typically resets itself at midnight every night so eventually the low battery warning does go away.

Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Well folks... still not much to get excited about for snow lovers, although models are trying to give us a touch of snow maybe on Sunday? 0Z GFS looked a bit more interesting with the CMC and Euro not as great but trending in that direction. EPS is north with the low track so mainly rain but GEFS is also south with the low track so you could perhaps get a burst of snow in the morning if the precip comes in fast enough and heavy enough to cool the column. Don't have a lot to be excited about yet. Euro warms it up for St Patt'ys Day system while I have seen a weak snow signal around then from other models. But again I don't see anything that screams break out the shovels at this time. Temps will be in the 40s a lot and on clear nights, lows in the 20s. Few days in the 50s that have full sunshine. That's about all I am seeing at the moment.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page