March 2021 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: March 2021 Weather Discussion

Post by tron777 »

Folks... Thanks to the changes in the forum... you can post videos into your posts. Here is DT's This Week in Weather Video from the end of February:

Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

OH River Forecast calls for Minor Flooding. Graphics thanks to Scotty D.
ScottyD.jpg
ScottyD2.jpg
ScottyD3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

dce
EF5 Tornado

Post by dce »

Thanks to all who have updated the forum. It looks great! I know many of you continually put in a lot of work to make this forum happen.
Doug

Huber Heights
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

dce wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:49 pm Thanks to all who have updated the forum. It looks great! I know many of you continually put in a lot of work to make this forum happen.
Welcome back, potential Mr. Snowfall Contest Winner! :grin: Enjoy our new home and I'm glad you found your way back after the Big Crash. :cussingblack:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

dce
EF5 Tornado

Post by dce »

tron777 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:52 pm
dce wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 7:49 pm Thanks to all who have updated the forum. It looks great! I know many of you continually put in a lot of work to make this forum happen.
Welcome back, potential Mr. Snowfall Contest Winner! :grin: Enjoy our new home and I'm glad you found your way back after the Big Crash. :cussingblack:
Ha. I actually would prefer not to win. If we can eek out one more big snow I would be more than happy to let someone win who really went big on their guess!
Doug

Huber Heights
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I would too lol But those chances are dwindling. We'll see... there are signals suggesting warmer and colder periods ahead.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

37 at CVG, 36 here as of 8pm. Should be a cold night in the 20 to 25 degree range across the region as skies clear and winds lighten up to under 10 mph by morning.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

dce
EF5 Tornado

Post by dce »

tron777 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:11 pm I would too lol But those chances are dwindling. We'll see... there are signals suggesting warmer and colder periods ahead.
I think one thing we have learned over the years is that March snowfalls can happen when you least expect. All it takes is one small cold period that is just about impossible for models to pick up on. We have seen accumulating snowfall up until the last day of March around here, as you well know. We have literally seen 70's to accumulating snow all within 24 hours in March. Models have a really hard time with that kind of set up. Of course, these scenarios are on the rare side in March around our part of the country, but maybe 2021 could be one of those years.
Doug

Huber Heights
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

dce wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:30 pm
tron777 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 8:11 pm I would too lol But those chances are dwindling. We'll see... there are signals suggesting warmer and colder periods ahead.
I think one thing we have learned over the years is that March snowfalls can happen when you least expect. All it takes is one small cold period that is just about impossible for models to pick up on. We have seen accumulating snowfall up until the last day of March around here, as you well know. We have literally seen 70's to accumulating snow all within 24 hours in March. Models have a really hard time with that kind of set up. Of course, these scenarios are on the rare side in March around our part of the country, but maybe 2021 could be one of those years.
I agree... nothing can ever be ruled out in weather. No one back in October thought we would get an epic stretch in Feb but we did. I think the blocking has one last brief interval then it is probably on to spring.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good morning everyone! Overnight models continue to keep us dry with seasonal temps until around the 9th or 10th when a more active pattern continues to show up. Until then, enjoy the sunshine and yard drying out period. :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Low so far has been 21.....a bit nippy after those mild temps we had!
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

25 at CVG, low here is 24.

EDIT: Official low is 23 at CVG.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Morning and nice chilly morning but going to be a nice day with less wind. My thoughts over the past weekend included a storm I thought would develop and give the northeast a big storm and we would be on the back end of that storm. That is looking unlikely as the cold over Canada is giving the northeast more of a slap on the wrist shot of cold plus further east than I expected. The good news is we have a nice week of dry weather and that is wonderful and just what the doctor ordered. Bgoney I believe mentioned possible 70 degrees in the near future and that could happen of a day early next week if everything falls in place. 60's no problem but either way I may need to find my golf clubs and get them ready early this season.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Ensembles show a warming trend next week, but also turning more active. Still could see one more cool shot in longer term but overall the worst of the cold and snow is behind us until next season.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Sargent51
Rain Shower

Post by Sargent51 »

tron777 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:53 pm Folks... Thanks to the changes in the forum... you can post videos into your posts. Here is DT's This Week in Weather Video from the end of February:

the Farmer's Almanac does a better job at forecasting than that guy does. And...he's just a real jerk.
Morrow/Maineville
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Sargent51 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:13 am
tron777 wrote: Mon Mar 01, 2021 6:53 pm Folks... Thanks to the changes in the forum... you can post videos into your posts. Here is DT's This Week in Weather Video from the end of February:
the Farmer's Almanac does a better job at forecasting than that guy does. And...he's just a real jerk.
I know. I was testing the forum media add-on too to make sure it was working correctly. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Sawdoggie
Rain Shower

Post by Sawdoggie »

It is hard to believe that this is already the ninth anniversary of the March 2, 2012 tornado outbreak. I remember sitting in my office watching the storms coming across Indiana on radar, reading the damage reports coming in, and knowing someone in the tri-state was going to get nailed. The small town I grew up in, Moscow, was one of the places that was destroyed that day.
moscow-kiln-srm.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Christian
Madeira by week, Ripley, OH by weekend
https://www.wunderground.com/dashboard/pws/KOHRIPLE5
cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Sawdoggie wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:21 am It is hard to believe that this is already the ninth anniversary of the March 2, 2012 tornado outbreak. I remember sitting in my office watching the storms coming across Indiana on radar, reading the damage reports coming in, and knowing someone in the tri-state was going to get nailed. The small town I grew up in, Moscow, was one of the places that was destroyed that day.moscow-kiln-srm.png
My mom was driving up to visit us during this outbreak and narrowly missed that tornado that you show on the radar image. She said there was a really black looking cloud ahead of her, then out of nowhere debris and emergency vehicles everywhere. I think the tornado had gone through about 10-15 min earlier.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

BookNerdCarp
EF0 Tornado

Post by BookNerdCarp »

20210302_061659.jpg
20210223_190714.jpg
I upgraded my phone recently to the Samsung Galaxy S21 Ultra......this camera!!!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Beautiful shots of the moon!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

cloudy72 wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:25 am
Sawdoggie wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:21 am It is hard to believe that this is already the ninth anniversary of the March 2, 2012 tornado outbreak. I remember sitting in my office watching the storms coming across Indiana on radar, reading the damage reports coming in, and knowing someone in the tri-state was going to get nailed. The small town I grew up in, Moscow, was one of the places that was destroyed that day.moscow-kiln-srm.png
My mom was driving up to visit us during this outbreak and narrowly missed that tornado that you show on the radar image. She said there was a really black looking cloud ahead of her, then out of nowhere debris and emergency vehicles everywhere. I think the tornado had gone through about 10-15 min earlier.
The tornado passed about 10 miles S of my hood on its way towards Moscow when it was moving thru NKY. 2 1/2 or so days later, we got snow. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

[/quote]

I know. I was testing the forum media add-on too to make sure it was working correctly. :lol:
[/quote]

Speaking of videos, might be worth a thread on the details of how to post videos on the new site. YouTube, gif, personal videos from phone or computer or other ways videos come in. I know I need help sometimes in that dept.
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:09 am Speaking of videos, might be worth a thread on the details of how to post videos on the new site. YouTube, gif, personal videos from phone or computer or other ways videos come in. I know I need help sometimes in that dept.
Can do. We will post a How To thread under the AV Forum Announcements and Updates section of the forum. :grin:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I have created the topic for posting videos:

http://absolutevorticity.com/viewtopic. ... p=293#p293
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page