White Christmas Blizzard 2022

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas 2022

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:32 pm
tron777 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:28 pm It's time! Not because of the amounts, but because of the impacts we have already discussed. Holiday travel time... we're almost to Christmas, etc etc.

Hammer Time.JPG
Love it Les. I went back to make sure I had the correct snow total for the 78 blizzard and at CVG it was only 6.9 inches. This really shows other factors can take a decent snowfall and turn it into a rather epic storm. Just imagine the amount of cars that will have a hard time starting over the next 4 days.
What we don't have here is the same track, and existing snow on the ground at go time. Way less moisture with this one too. Otherwise it's still going to be an intense storm!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Pete1
Heavy Rain

Post by Pete1 »

tron777 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:28 pm It's time! Not because of the amounts, but because of the impacts we have already discussed. Holiday travel time... we're almost to Christmas, etc etc.

Hammer Time.JPG
There he is!!!!! Hammer time has joined the Christmas party!! Well done, Les!!
Burlington, KY
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Thanks Pete! I felt it was time. The data is really starting to look good! Most folks are a lock for 2-4" the way it's looking to me. The question is... who is going to get that heavier band? We'll see come tomorrow hopefully!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

MSP really doing well tonight in the WAA snows. Mod snow vis below 1 mile and 5" in the books. The low is deepening more rapidly then models are projecting. Cold is charging in more then projected. Going to be really interesting tomorrow to watch this storm really take off and unfold.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

snwyowl
Rain Shower

Post by snwyowl »

Long time lingerer here, rarely post. I'm usually a snow lover (still am) but am not looking forward to the bitter cold and high gusting winds. I know some folks are happy, excited and looking forward to a good storm, but the timing is terrible!
I worry about power outages, accidents, stranded travelers.
Personally, I have pets and this is going to be a challenge! Ugh 🤦‍♀️🙄
Anyway, I appreciate all the information and learn a lot on this forum...it's been great over the years and look forward to many more to come!
Merry Christmas everyone and stay warm and safe 🙂
snowbo
EF0 Tornado

Post by snowbo »

dce wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:37 pm

Hammer Time.JPG
Love it Les. I went back to make sure I had the correct snow total for the 78 blizzard and at CVG it was only 6.9 inches. This really shows other factors can take a decent snowfall and turn it into a rather epic storm. Just imagine the amount of cars that will have a hard time starting over the next 4 days.
Thing about that storm was the fact that there was already an appreciable amount of snow on the ground before the blizzard hit. Dayton received 12.9 from the blizzard with a foot of snow already on the ground before the storm hit.
My memory says that there was a record 26 or 28 inch snow pack on the ground before it started raining (record for the Dayton area). The rain reduced it down to 3 inches before the front came through and changed everything to snow. Because of the huge snowpack, all of the storm drains were covered with snow not allowing the water to run off. When the cold air came in, everything froze solid. Just my memories...
Brookville, Ohio
Northwest Montgomery county
I70 Corridor
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

0Z RGEM seems to be holding serve from its prior run. If we can start snowing early by 7pm or something (using CVG as a reference point) then I just know this is going to over perform. Wow! The low is CRAWLING! 6 hours to go from Findlay to Detroit and deepening as it does so! My Gosh... Solid 3-5" and it even had a 6" lolli for LOU. :lol: So again I am conservative with 2-4" but the chance is absolutely there for some of us to get more. No doubt. It is just tough to pinpoint exactly where.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

snwyowl wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:55 pm Long time lingerer here, rarely post. I'm usually a snow lover (still am) but am not looking forward to the bitter cold and high gusting winds. I know some folks are happy, excited and looking forward to a good storm, but the timing is terrible!
I worry about power outages, accidents, stranded travelers.
Personally, I have pets and this is going to be a challenge! Ugh 🤦‍♀️🙄
Anyway, I appreciate all the information and learn a lot on this forum...it's been great over the years and look forward to many more to come!
Merry Christmas everyone and stay warm and safe 🙂
Merry Christmas to you! So glad you're here! I want all of us to stay safe too, but at the same time I love a good storm. You know me by now. :lol: It's just who I am. :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

snowbo wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:56 pm

Hammer Time.JPG
Thing about that storm was the fact that there was already an appreciable amount of snow on the ground before the blizzard hit. Dayton received 12.9 from the blizzard with a foot of snow already on the ground before the storm hit.
My memory says that there was a record 26 or 28 inch snow pack on the ground before it started raining (record for the Dayton area). The rain reduced it down to 3 inches before the front came through and changed everything to snow. Because of the huge snowpack, all of the storm drains were covered with snow not allowing the water to run off. When the cold air came in, everything froze solid. Just my memories...
That is correct Bo. You have a great memory! :) I'm sure Tim can also speak of the event. I was only 2 and in AZ where I was born at the time. Dad was in the Airforce. :lol: My folks came back to Detroit where my family is originally from in 1978 but it was after that winter was over. Moved down here in October of 1980. The rest is history. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

snowbo
EF0 Tornado

Post by snowbo »

tron777 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:03 pm

Hammer Time.JPG
That is correct Bo. You have a great memory! :) I'm sure Tim can also speak of the event. I was only 2 and in AZ where I was born at the time. Dad was in the Airforce. :lol: My folks came back to Detroit where my family is originally from in 1978 but it was after that winter was over. Moved down here in October of 1980. The rest is history. :lol:
With all due respect to my wife and kids, this was the greatest single day of my life. My memories are vivid and I relive them every Winter. Maybe, just maybe, we can have another storm like this in my lifetime!!!!
Brookville, Ohio
I70 Corridor
Ddmeyer004
Rain Shower

Post by Ddmeyer004 »

tron777 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:59 pm 0Z RGEM seems to be holding serve from its prior run. If we can start snowing early by 7pm or something (using CVG as a reference point) then I just know this is going to over perform. Wow! The low is CRAWLING! 6 hours to go from Findlay to Detroit and deepening as it does so! My Gosh... Solid 3-5" and it even had a 6" lolli for LOU. :lol: So again I am conservative with 2-4" but the chance is absolutely there for some of us to get more. No doubt. It is just tough to pinpoint exactly where.
Les what’s are record for the number of pages during storm?

Executive Pitmaster/Owner
Flyin Swine BBQ Competition Team
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Hammer Time.JPG
This storm is like catching a big walleye for us. It ranks right up there with getting married, having kids, etc. etc. I'm being serious too!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Ddmeyer004 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:07 pm
tron777 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 9:59 pm 0Z RGEM seems to be holding serve from its prior run. If we can start snowing early by 7pm or something (using CVG as a reference point) then I just know this is going to over perform. Wow! The low is CRAWLING! 6 hours to go from Findlay to Detroit and deepening as it does so! My Gosh... Solid 3-5" and it even had a 6" lolli for LOU. :lol: So again I am conservative with 2-4" but the chance is absolutely there for some of us to get more. No doubt. It is just tough to pinpoint exactly where.
Tough to say since we lost the old forum, Dave. We are making new memories now though in our new home for weather! So for the new and improved AV, as Bgoney's avatar says, this storm thread will probably become the new record holder. I'm trying with all of the damn posting I do. Working from home has allowed me to do that along with the promotion. :lol: :thumbsup:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I leave you tonight with this final post... Boulder CO. 6 hours ago, it was 50 degrees. Currently -4 with heavy snow. :lol: Wow! Okay, a long day of tracking tomorrow plus work! My last full day of 2022. 1/2 day on Friday, done at noon! :thumbsup: Please keep the discussion going! Hopefully 0Z GFS and Euro continue to play nice. See you all soon! :P
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

snowbo
EF0 Tornado

Post by snowbo »

tron777 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:08 pm

This storm is like catching a big walleye for us. It ranks right up there with getting married, having kids, etc. etc. I'm being serious too!
Ahhh Les, I still remember my only 30 inch walleye and the fight it took to catch it. These are important memories!!!!
Brookville, Ohio
I70 Corridor
mlapensee
Rain Shower

Post by mlapensee »

This is insane!

Ddmeyer004
Rain Shower

Post by Ddmeyer004 »

tron777 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:10 pm
Tough to say since we lost the old forum, Dave. We are making new memories now though in our new home for weather! So for the new and improved AV, as Bgoney's avatar says, this storm thread will probably become the new record holder. I'm trying with all of the damn posting I do. Working from home has allowed me to do that along with the promotion. :lol: :thumbsup:
Congratulations on the promotion. Those were good times under the old AV….given we are already at 29(on Wednesday) I’m going to go out on a limb and say 80 by Saturday

Executive Pitmaster/Owner
Flyin Swine BBQ Competition Team
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

snowbo wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:12 pm
tron777 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:08 pm

Ahhh Les, I still remember my only 30 inch walleye and the fight it took to catch it. These are important memories!!!!
OK I lied! LAST POST! I got a monster on the wall too from Lake Ontario. 11 1/2 pounder! My Dad has a 12 pounder on the wall from Lake Erie March of 2012, the St. Patty's Weekend trip of a LIFETIME!!! I'll never forget it! Threw back 8-12 pounders all day long. Hard to find 5 pounders and under for the freezer. :lol: My arms hurt after two days of reeling in monster walleye as fast as you could clip the planer board on! :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Ddmeyer004 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:13 pm
tron777 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:10 pm
Congratulations on the promotion. Those were good times under the old AV….given we are already at 29(on Wednesday) I’m going to go out on a limb and say 80 by Saturday
Thanks Dave! I agree! OK good night. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Browneyedgirl
Heavy Rain

Post by Browneyedgirl »

snowbo wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:06 pm

With all due respect to my wife and kids, this was the greatest single day of my life. My memories are vivid and I relive them every Winter. Maybe, just maybe, we can have another storm like this in my lifetime!!!!

I was in high school during the blizzard. I remember the same thing. There was water everywhere from melting snow and heavy rain. And it froze in the most amazing formations! We hardly went to school that winter!
Lisa
Liberty Township, Butler County

Still learning all this weather stuff!
vbowler
Rain Shower

Post by vbowler »

Les, you need to go to the Tennessee River with me and go for Big Fish
BookNerdCarp
EF0 Tornado

Post by BookNerdCarp »

I remember on the old forum storms with 100+ pages if I am correct. I think, but memory may be bad too. Lol
dce
EF5 Tornado

Post by dce »

The GFS doesn't disappoint! I sure hope it's right! Not sure I buy the widespread 6+ across the entire Ohio Valley, but it would be special!
Doug

Huber Heights
mainevilleweather
Thunder Storm

Post by mainevilleweather »

The latest Euro, GFS and NAM all giving me at least 7 inches. At this point in the game, I will take that and run with it!
snowbo
EF0 Tornado

Post by snowbo »

BookNerdCarp wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 10:46 pm I remember on the old forum storms with 100+ pages if I am correct. I think, but memory may be bad too. Lol
In the old days, we only had the monthly thread. Now, Les starts a new thread for each major event. To compare, you'd have to have add all of the threads for any given month.
Brookville, Ohio
I70 Corridor