White Christmas Blizzard 2022

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
BookNerdCarp
EF0 Tornado

Re: I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas 2022

Post by BookNerdCarp »

FYI

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Pete1 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:12 pm Les Madden!!! Has a good ring to it !! I can just imagine this being Les with the GFS and Euro in front of him and doing a breakdown analysis

Dude... nice find! Awesome!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:12 pm
tron777 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:10 pm I think the NWS should adopt this new issuance of winter storm headlines. What do you all think?

LOL.jpg
Only if we stay in the liquor headline. Of course this counts during grilling season in the spring and summer
And fishing season! :lol: (Off the water of course) ;)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

0Z HRRR def continues to show more digging thru 3pm tomorrow.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

BookNerdCarp
EF0 Tornado

Post by BookNerdCarp »

Pete1
Heavy Rain

Post by Pete1 »

Les, in terms of winds, are we talking about 40-50 mph sustained winds or gusts up to 40-50 mph? And if sustained, for how long?
Burlington, KY
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

BookNerdCarp wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:14 pm FYI
In addition Denver maybe another in a series of cities to break Temp Drop records!

Whatever happens for us happens, but I'm really getting excited about this storm! It is going to impact a bunch of people at the worst time of the year.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Pete1 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:24 pm Les, in terms of winds, are we talking about 40-50 mph sustained winds or gusts up to 40-50 mph? And if sustained, for how long?
40-50 are in gusts Pete. I believe sustained winds for a time will be in that 15 to 30 mph range for later Thurs night, all of Fri and into Fri night as well. Gusting will lower to 30 on Christmas Eve and further on Christmas Day. There will be travel impacts to some degree all weekend long. The worst being Thurs night and Friday and even into Fri night as well with widespread impacts. Could be tricky in spots Sat and isolated spots Sun is my thinking.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

House of Cards
Heavy Rain

Post by House of Cards »

So I'm thinking we skip the first die Hard and go straight to the sequel.
Located at intersection of Blue Rock Rd and I-275/SR 126 Hwy in Colerain
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Remember folks...it isn't about the amount of snow that is falling, it is the flash freeze, monster temp drop, the wind causing poor vis along with blowing and drifting of snow that are the main issues here along with possible power outages in some areas. The more snow we get, the worse the above impacts will be obviously, but anyway you guys should get the point by now. I've said it so many times. Sorry, just pumped up here and I want everyone to be safe including myself. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

House of Cards wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:30 pm So I'm thinking we skip the first die Hard and go straight to the sequel.
That'll work! I hope you, and other people have their Christmas Decor all tied and anchored down! Glad I went to Light Up The Fair at the Boone Co Fairgrounds last night before it gets all wrecked to hell. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

The HRRR has rain changing to snow for Cincy around 9pm. I think it'll be earlier then that from what we're seeing on real time obs. Widespread 3-4" with iso 5". I'd be thrilled with that!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

NEW 21Z SREF Snowfall Mean:

CVG - 2.5"
HAO - 2.6"
ILN - 2.1"
MGY - 2.8"
DAY - 3.3"
CMH - 1.9"
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

So the question of the night is why is this not going to be considered a Blizzard. The definition is winds over 35 mph ,snowing of course and visibility less that a 1/4 mile for at least 3 hours. We get close during this time period but will probably come up short in one area or so.
Pete1
Heavy Rain

Post by Pete1 »

tron777 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:27 pm
Pete1 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:24 pm Les, in terms of winds, are we talking about 40-50 mph sustained winds or gusts up to 40-50 mph? And if sustained, for how long?
40-50 are in gusts Pete. I believe sustained winds for a time will be in that 15 to 30 mph range for later Thurs night, all of Fri and into Fri night as well. Gusting will lower to 30 on Christmas Eve and further on Christmas Day. There will be travel impacts to some degree all weekend long. The worst being Thurs night and Friday and even into Fri night as well with widespread impacts. Could be tricky in spots Sat and isolated spots Sun is my thinking.
Thanks Les
Burlington, KY
dce
EF5 Tornado

Post by dce »

tpweather wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:42 pm So the question of the night is why is this not going to be considered a Blizzard. The definition is winds over 35 mph ,snowing of course and visibility less that a 1/4 mile for at least 3 hours. We get close during this time period but will probably come up short in one area or so.
Didn't the old criteria involve temperature also? Either a certain temperature had to be obtained or a certain temperature drop had to occur? This could even meet the old criteria considering the temperature and temperature drop we are going to see.

Just found out I have to go to the in-laws in Peru Indiana tomorrow for Christmas weekend. I wasn't expecting to have to make this trip. Family health issues have made this a necessity, so I can report ground observations from Peru as this thing unfolds in northern Indiana.
Doug

Huber Heights
Pete1
Heavy Rain

Post by Pete1 »

tpweather wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:42 pm So the question of the night is why is this not going to be considered a Blizzard. The definition is winds over 35 mph ,snowing of course and visibility less that a 1/4 mile for at least 3 hours. We get close during this time period but will probably come up short in one area or so.
And you know what is going to be the sad thing about that, Tim. So many local media hacks are going to be using the word blizzard even though they have no clue what the definition of a blizzard is. I can see it coming right now on that.
Burlington, KY
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Technically, snow doesn't even need to be falling. A ground blizzard can occur with existing snow already on the ground. That happens a lot in the open Plains. For this set up though, yeah snow will be falling of course. It'll be borderline for us. We could see blizzard conditions at times, esp in rural areas. North of I-70, and to our West across IN, you could really argue a case for it. If I recall, the last one we had was with the March of 2008 storm, which I felt was borderline and fell a touch short. But it's all relative to your own views and experiences too.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

dce wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:48 pm
Didn't the old criteria involve temperature also? Either a certain temperature had to be obtained or a certain temperature drop had to occur? This could even meet the old criteria considering the temperature and temperature drop we are going to see.

Just found out I have to go to the in-laws in Peru Indiana tomorrow for Christmas weekend. I wasn't expecting to have to make this trip. Family health issues have made this a necessity, so I can report ground observations from Peru as this thing unfolds in northern Indiana.
Wow! Please be careful, Doug! So sorry that this happened Bro. Safe travels my friend. Here is the official NWS definition:

Blizzard
(abbrev. BLZD)- A blizzard means that the following conditions are expected to prevail for a period of 3 hours or longer:
Sustained wind or frequent gusts to 35 miles an hour or greater; and
Considerable falling and/or blowing snow (i.e., reducing visibility frequently to less than ¼ mile)

https://w1.weather.gov/glossary/index.php?word=blizzard
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Pete1 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:49 pm
And you know what is going to be the sad thing about that, Tim. So many local media hacks are going to be using the word blizzard even though they have no clue what the definition of a blizzard is. I can see it coming right now on that.
Pete you are correct. I was surprised I have not heard it yet but you know its coming Pete.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Let's see if we can get NAM'ed tonight... Strange, we haven't had a good NAM'ing yet on this storm. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I like it better thru 18 hours already vs 18Z.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:57 pm I like it better thru 18 hours already vs 18Z.I agree 100p/c Les
dce
EF5 Tornado

Post by dce »

tron777 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:52 pm
dce wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 8:48 pm

Wow! Please be careful, Doug! So sorry that this happened Bro. Safe travels my friend. Here is the official NWS definition:

Blizzard
(abbrev. BLZD)- A blizzard means that the following conditions are expected to prevail for a period of 3 hours or longer:
Sustained wind or frequent gusts to 35 miles an hour or greater; and
Considerable falling and/or blowing snow (i.e., reducing visibility frequently to less than ¼ mile)

https://w1.weather.gov/glossary/index.php?word=blizzard
Thank you! We will leave pretty early as to arrive ahead of the storm.

Not sure why NWS offices aren't pulling the trigger on blizzard warnings especially in the northern half of Indiana and northwest Ohio. Winds gusts are going to be 50-60 mph for a good length of time. I'm thinking just before or as the event is unfolding blizzard warnings will show up.
Doug

Huber Heights
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

As of 6pm Central time, MSP has picked up 3.3" of snow on 0.24" liquid.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page