Rocktober 2022 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
snowbo
EF0 Tornado

Re: Rocktober 2022 Weather Discussion

Post by snowbo »

The summit receives 97 inches of rain a year and 27 feet of snow. The warmest temperature ever recorded at the summit is 72°. The coldest ever recorded is like 57 below with a windchill of 103 below zero.
Brookville, Ohio
Northwest Montgomery county
I70 Corridor
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Thanks Bo for the pics back on the previous page! Yes Sir.... That is on my bucket list for sure! All Weather Nuts ought to see it like you did! :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good Sunday morning all! Not much to talk about here until our front Thurs then much colder temps. Frost Talk is also possible by this weekend too. That's about all I've got for local weather right now. Until Friday, we'll see U60s and L70s with lows in the 40s like we've been seeing this week.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:07 am Good Sunday morning all! Not much to talk about here until our front Thurs then much colder temps. Frost Talk is also possible by this weekend too. That's about all I've got for local weather right now. Until Friday, we'll see U60s and L70s with lows in the 40s like we've been seeing this week.
Les rather easy forecast with near to slightly below normal temps Mon-Thurs and then well below Fri-Sun. Maybe a shower with the front Thursday but don't count on much as we are no doubt getting very dry. Again we usually have another wet season from mid-Oct to early Dec as the northern jet interacts with the southern jet and we usually get a good contrast in temps. All signs at this point to a early start to winter but again lets give it a few more weeks and see how things pan out. In recent years winter has got a late start but maybe this year we have an early start which I enjoy more during the holiday season.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 11:09 am
tron777 wrote: Sun Oct 02, 2022 9:07 am Good Sunday morning all! Not much to talk about here until our front Thurs then much colder temps. Frost Talk is also possible by this weekend too. That's about all I've got for local weather right now. Until Friday, we'll see U60s and L70s with lows in the 40s like we've been seeing this week.
Les rather easy forecast with near to slightly below normal temps Mon-Thurs and then well below Fri-Sun. Maybe a shower with the front Thursday but don't count on much as we are no doubt getting very dry. Again we usually have another wet season from mid-Oct to early Dec as the northern jet interacts with the southern jet and we usually get a good contrast in temps. All signs at this point to a early start to winter but again lets give it a few more weeks and see how things pan out. In recent years winter has got a late start but maybe this year we have an early start which I enjoy more during the holiday season.
Yeah, I am not yet sure on when significant rain chances will be. The tropics failed with Ian so we'll have to wait.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

young pup
EF4 Tornado

Post by young pup »

tron777 wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:52 am
young pup wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 7:49 pm
tron777 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:49 am
young pup wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:48 am
tron777 wrote: Fri Sep 30, 2022 10:30 am

Yeah... the weather does not look pleasant thru early next week over the Smokies that is for sure.
Yep, that is what I told my sister. She's on her way now. :( Thanks for your insight as I was on the fence. :)
No problem! the low or whatever's left of Ian looks to get as far north as the S Apps then that's about it. That is why we are going to get left out here locally.
It's been dry. When the leaves start falling that is when we will get wet again. Just to make them wet and heavy. :) :)
Murphy's Law, right? :lol: I'd like to have a word or two with that guy! :lol:

Lol me too.
young pup
EF4 Tornado

Post by young pup »

snowbo wrote: Sat Oct 01, 2022 8:23 pm 16CE1C3C-C551-4773-91BA-0AE1F103538C.jpeg2A05E0EE-5ADB-4001-BA68-15CCE2DE31B2.jpeg

Sorry, Wi-Fi is very sketchy so I had to break up the pictures.
Great pictures. Thanks for sharing.
young pup
EF4 Tornado

Post by young pup »

Frost advisory for N/E Ohio. So it begins. :)
https://www.weather.gov/cle/
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Evening and another nice day though quite breezy at times. As we know the next 7 days seem rather boring but could get the first overall frost of the year which is earlier than normal. What you start to look at is the models and long term trends. Starting to see where storminess should start to have more impact on Alaska which is about normal for them. This will also start to bring in some colder air in about 10 days or so. Usually this will also start a trend for us to warm up some and I expect that after mid-month. Will this warm up also bring in some rain and again way to early but usually we start to tap the GOM during this time period. How warm is still a tough question but 70's during that time seems possible which at that time will be several degrees above normal. No more 90's of course and even 80's seem out of reach. Going to continue to watch these trends but as we know the folks in the northern regions must cool down in the next several weeks as sunlight is going away quickly. I always look to the western USA also in mid-late Oct as many times they will get some cool shots but that ridging out west is tough this year and it may take several cold shots to really start to cool them down. So it seems boring at the moment but there are many items to look at down the road and when these start to take place we get very busy on this forum.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

47 here right now. Sunny and nice thru Wed. A small rain chance Thurs with the front then we drop. Fri thru the weekend looks sunny but chilly with highs in the 50s to L60s and lows in the mid to U30s!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Morning Les and another easy forecast. Saturday and Sunday morning should have many areas with frost. Mid-upper 30's like you mentioned but also would not be surprised some outlying areas to get below 32 for a few hours. May not be a killing frost for everyone but some folks will no doubt have a killing one. Very seldom do see a killing frost for everyone in the same area and usually takes 3 or 4 events for everyone to be finished for the year and especially when you are getting these earlier than normal.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good morning Tim! I don't think we will see a killing frost this weekend. I will save that potential for ILN's northern tier of counties. We will have to see if that next punch of cold air materializes in the fantasy range. If yes, that is our chance for an area wide killing frost / light freeze. Frost is likely this weekend and some plants will get killed. But I don't think it'll be cold enough to kill everything (meaning 32 or lower).
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Exactly Les and even at 32 in your own yard plants away from the house more likely to be killed off and ones near the house have somewhat of a blanket. Also many areas which got some nice rains in August the lawns are in much better shape and frost tends to form on healthier vegetation. My daughter live in Campbell country and mowed her grass last week and it looked like mid-May while my lawn is not growing at all and went out and mowed the leaves on Saturday. So some very localized rains hit this August and has made a difference in what we are seeing at the moment.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

My yard is starting to get the brown patches now due to lack of rain. But it's cool weather wise so once we get a soaking rain, it'll come back. Thank goodness we're not getting the heat to burn things up. :lol: I sowed my spinach seeds yesterday so it'll come up right when it is getting cold, should work out perfect. Will probably dismantle the tomatoes, spick rack, and flowers later this week and wrap all that up for the season. Leaf grinding season should really get into gear, once we get a few frosts to kick start the leaf changing process.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:29 am My yard is starting to get the brown patches now due to lack of rain. But it's cool weather wise so once we get a soaking rain, it'll come back. Thank goodness we're not getting the heat to burn things up. :lol: I sowed my spinach seeds yesterday so it'll come up right when it is getting cold, should work out perfect. Will probably dismantle the tomatoes, spick rack, and flowers later this week and wrap all that up for the season. Leaf grinding season should really get into gear, once we get a few frosts to kick start the leaf changing process.
Since I missed most of the beneficial rains in August tons of dead leaves fell. Normally I would not have this many but the weather determines that so often. I expect a quick change in color later this week though we already have some trees with color.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:32 am
tron777 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:29 am My yard is starting to get the brown patches now due to lack of rain. But it's cool weather wise so once we get a soaking rain, it'll come back. Thank goodness we're not getting the heat to burn things up. :lol: I sowed my spinach seeds yesterday so it'll come up right when it is getting cold, should work out perfect. Will probably dismantle the tomatoes, spick rack, and flowers later this week and wrap all that up for the season. Leaf grinding season should really get into gear, once we get a few frosts to kick start the leaf changing process.
Since I missed most of the beneficial rains in August tons of dead leaves fell. Normally I would not have this many but the weather determines that so often. I expect a quick change in color later this week though we already have some trees with color.
I have some isolated color too. Some leaf drop as well but mainly from older trees. Younger ones still mainly green and need some colder weather to get 'em going.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

ILN has us in the U30s tonight Tim. I don't see frost in the Metro at all but out lying areas, maybe some light frost tomorrow morning? We'll see!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:36 am ILN has us in the U30s tonight Tim. I don't see frost in the Metro at all but out lying areas, maybe some light frost tomorrow morning? We'll see!
I agree Les as we have a back door cold front. Towards Columbus looks like the best shot of frost but again not a killing one by any means.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:45 am
tron777 wrote: Mon Oct 03, 2022 8:36 am ILN has us in the U30s tonight Tim. I don't see frost in the Metro at all but out lying areas, maybe some light frost tomorrow morning? We'll see!
I agree Les as we have a back door cold front. Towards Columbus looks like the best shot of frost but again not a killing one by any means.
Lancaster could see some light frost. Newark too. (Usual areas SE of Columbus that radiate good)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Afternoon and another beautiful day. Les and I have been talking about some possible frost later this week and again later next week. To get these early bouts you need cold air to form over Northern Canada and that is the case. Already seeing sub 0 temps and daytime highs near 10. Of course we don't see those temps but with the current pattern we are seeing cold shots over the eastern 1/3 of the country. So two chances over the next 2 weeks but of course we will see many mild days just ahead of these cold fronts.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Upper 60s currently out there and a lovely Rocktober afternoon in progress!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

67 here today, 69 CVG. Going to fire up the grill and sear a nice thick steak! I love Fall! :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

40 here this morning! Anyone get into the 30s N of town? Any patchy frost I-70 folks?
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Tue Oct 04, 2022 7:30 am 40 here this morning! Anyone get into the 30s N of town? Any patchy frost I-70 folks?
To my surprise a little light frost away from the house though temp only 40 here. Expecting big time frost this weekend though as conditions look great for the development of frost.
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Low temperature so far this fall at Anchorage airport is 37F (+2.8C); this season now in the top ten latest first freeze. @NWSAnchorage forecast has no temps even close to freezing thru the weekend. If that works out, 2022 would be a "top four" latest.
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!