March 1997 Historic Flooding: 25 Years Later

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

March 1997 Historic Flooding: 25 Years Later

Post by tron777 »

A great story and presentation put together by ILN. We had very bad flooding if you recall along the Ohio and little Miami Rivers in March of 1997. Historical flooding in fact. Was anyone on our forum impacted? Share your memories or stories here!

https://storymaps.arcgis.com/stories/ba ... 973c12d0e2
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

House of Cards
Heavy Rain

Re: March 1997 Historic Flooding: 25 Years Later

Post by House of Cards »

I worked down on Spring Grove; at lunch time one day I drove up to the Eden Park overlooks, and it was a sight to behold! I remember listening to 700WLW and Mike McConnell taking a call from a guy about a couple guys having a kayak race I believe around Riverfront Stadium. If I recall correctly, Mike and the station got into a little hot water over that one. But that flood was probably about as close as we will ever get to seeing what the great 1937 Flood looked like, and was especially huge given the existence of all the flood control locks and dams we now have. Back then we lived over on Jessup Rd and had a rooftop antenna with an extra tall mast, so we could get TV channels out of Louisville, KY. (aside, I watched live the coolest distillery fire ever on WAVE3 once there also, rolling barrels of flaming liquor!) Anyway, the day that Falmouth got wiped away, I was watching WAVE3 and seeing their accounts of the immense amounts of rainfall and I knew then we were witnessing something unprecedented. And this all happened before the climate terrorists flogged us constantly about everything being tied to climate change too.
Located at intersection of Blue Rock Rd and I-275/SR 126 Hwy in Colerain
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I remember when the Licking River flooded Falmouth. The pics were amazing yet devastating looking at the same time!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

House of Cards
Heavy Rain

Post by House of Cards »

tron777 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 11:18 am I remember when the Licking River flooded Falmouth. The pics were amazing yet devastating looking at the same time!
those poor people didn't have a chance, that water came up so fast! And in the middle of the night too.
cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

tron777 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:58 pm A great story and presentation put together by ILN. We had very bad flooding if you recall along the Ohio and little Miami Rivers in March of 1997. Historical flooding in fact. Was anyone on our forum impacted? Share your memories or stories here!

So I was in State College, Pennsylvania at the time, and I believe that was the winter where we had a couple feet of snow on the ground and then that night the temp surged to 50 and torrential rains moved in. By morning the snow was completely gone and I believe almost every road out of town was flooded. This was pre-Interstate 99 being completed.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

cloudy72 wrote: Thu Mar 03, 2022 3:49 pm
tron777 wrote: Wed Mar 02, 2022 3:58 pm A great story and presentation put together by ILN. We had very bad flooding if you recall along the Ohio and little Miami Rivers in March of 1997. Historical flooding in fact. Was anyone on our forum impacted? Share your memories or stories here!

So I was in State College, Pennsylvania at the time, and I believe that was the winter where we had a couple feet of snow on the ground and then that night the temp surged to 50 and torrential rains moved in. By morning the snow was completely gone and I believe almost every road out of town was flooded. This was pre-Interstate 99 being completed.
And all of that melt water from the Northern Apps, ran into the Ohio River water shed and there you go. We had some snowmelt and a lot of heavy rains ourselves. Just one of those perfect storm scenarios that we see sometimes in weather.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

House of Cards
Heavy Rain

Post by House of Cards »

wow, and then all that water had to go somewhere, so it came down the Ohio. Like I said earlier, to me, the amazing thing was this flooding happened even though we had all those Army Corps of Engineers flood control locks and dams everywhere. Can you imagine what the flooding would've looked like if the rivers were like they were in 1937 with none of those dams?
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

House of Cards wrote: Fri Mar 04, 2022 10:25 am

wow, and then all that water had to go somewhere, so it came down the Ohio. Like I said earlier, to me, the amazing thing was this flooding happened even though we had all those Army Corps of Engineers flood control locks and dams everywhere. Can you imagine what the flooding would've looked like if the rivers were like they were in 1937 with none of those dams?
Drone footage of both the 37 and 97 floods would have been fantastic to see!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page