January 2022 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: January 2022 Weather Discussion

Post by tron777 »

12Z GFS continues to trend west and gets the phasing going earlier with each run. This is not going to be a big system for us, more so for the Carolinas up into New England but hoping to see that trend continue to get more moisture pulled up with the front as the system is developing on Friday. That is going to be our best chance to receive anything out of this one.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Going to be tough for this to move much further west with those highs
gfs_mslpa_us_fh90-144.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 11:45 am Going to be tough for this to move much further west with those highs

gfs_mslpa_us_fh90-144.gif
If the phase can happen a bit earlier that will help. Also in that animation, that little kicker wave dropping in behind it, if it could slow down a bit that would also help. It's the only factors I can see to bring it more west. The phasing needs to be faster or we'll just get clipped with some light snow ahead of the cold front. That is currently all I am expecting anyway unless something changes.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

British model has some light snow shower activity Thurs night and Friday. Right now, this is looking like another one of those scrap jobs. If the pattern wasn't so bad, I wouldn't even really care much about this system. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

(24 Jan 2022) GDPS and RDPS maps may be delayed or missing due to data flow problems at Environment Canada.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

airwolf76
EF0 Tornado

Post by airwolf76 »

got a half inch from last nights clipper with another round coming late tonight, not expecting much. perhaps another heavy dusting with the possibility of high end being up to 1 inch or so.
22'/23' snowfall > 11"
23'/24' snowfall > 19.5"
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

12Z Euro is well east of most guidance this afternoon for Friday so cold a few flakes and not much else to be had.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

airwolf76 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:17 pm got a half inch from last nights clipper with another round coming late tonight, not expecting much. perhaps another heavy dusting with the possibility of high end being up to 1 inch or so.
Keep your eyes open for Fri / Sat.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

westharrisonwx
Rain Shower

Post by westharrisonwx »

tron777 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:50 pm British model has some light snow shower activity Thurs night and Friday. Right now, this is looking like another one of those scrap jobs. If the pattern wasn't so bad, I wouldn't even really care much about this system. :lol:
You know it's been a tough winter for snow when we're reporting in dustings and tracking dustings.

At least it's finally felt like Winter, unlike the Fall feel back in December.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

westharrisonwx wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:37 pm
tron777 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 12:50 pm British model has some light snow shower activity Thurs night and Friday. Right now, this is looking like another one of those scrap jobs. If the pattern wasn't so bad, I wouldn't even really care much about this system. :lol:
You know it's been a tough winter for snow when we're reporting in dustings and tracking dustings.

At least it's finally felt like Winter, unlike the Fall feel back in December.
Yeah. It's all we can do., Feb should have some warmth injected into the pattern so we're playing with rain to snow and snow to rain type systems. But you can get a big dog if the timing works out. Timing is always the part of the equation that we don't do well on here lol
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Check out the Arctic hurricane, what that must be like! Saw reports where it may have reached 932mb, has to be close to a record as I have never seen one that strong that far north

gfs_z500_mslp_nhem_2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I would love to be under that for about 2 mins just to see what it's like. It would probably be the longest 2 mins of my life. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

tron777 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:12 am
Trevor wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:57 am
tron777 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:23 am I see one more shot at light snow for January and that will be a possible system for Thurs night and Friday, the 27-28th. With this system, can we see any interaction before the East Coast low takes over? CMC has a partial phase. GFS and Euro are trying. They all three generate a little QPF over the region. Of course, the earlier the phase the better for us, but one to watch. This storm was supposed to stay offshore. Now looking like a legit big deal for the Interior New England folks and maybe I-95, depends on track. Further west the better for our snow prospects in the OV of course.
I bet the NYC/New England weenies on AmericanWX are already freaking out :lol:
And the Mid ATL Weens too. :lol:
How much for Philly? :lmao:
Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Afternoon and a blah January day to say the least. Part of the reason we are not seeing much in the way of snow this season is the southwest ridging that has been around much of the winter except in December when the southeast ridge was so strong because of activity in northeast South America. The southwest ridge has made it tough not only for us but the central plains to get much in the way of snow this winter. Plenty of cold around this month but getting the STJ in gear quick enough has not happened much. Hopefully by next week we see a change to this but of course warmer air will be involved but I am fine with that only to see something besides the boring pattern we are in this winter. So with the decent cold shots but the STJ getting involved to late for us has provided the Carolina's we some decent winter weather.
cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Euro with a 954 mb low off the coast of Beantown on the 29th.....yowzas!! Better stock up on some clam chowdaaah! :)
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Trevor wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:31 pm
tron777 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 9:12 am
Trevor wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 8:57 am
tron777 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:23 am I see one more shot at light snow for January and that will be a possible system for Thurs night and Friday, the 27-28th. With this system, can we see any interaction before the East Coast low takes over? CMC has a partial phase. GFS and Euro are trying. They all three generate a little QPF over the region. Of course, the earlier the phase the better for us, but one to watch. This storm was supposed to stay offshore. Now looking like a legit big deal for the Interior New England folks and maybe I-95, depends on track. Further west the better for our snow prospects in the OV of course.
I bet the NYC/New England weenies on AmericanWX are already freaking out :lol:
And the Mid ATL Weens too. :lol:
How much for Philly? :lmao:
I'm about ready to turn that into, how much for CVG. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

cloudy72 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:42 pm Euro with a 954 mb low off the coast of Beantown on the 29th.....yowzas!! Better stock up on some clam chowdaaah! :)
EPS looks to be west of the OP in terms of low position with that system.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 3:39 pm Good Afternoon and a blah January day to say the least. Part of the reason we are not seeing much in the way of snow this season is the southwest ridging that has been around much of the winter except in December when the southeast ridge was so strong because of activity in northeast South America. The southwest ridge has made it tough not only for us but the central plains to get much in the way of snow this winter. Plenty of cold around this month but getting the STJ in gear quick enough has not happened much. Hopefully by next week we see a change to this but of course warmer air will be involved but I am fine with that only to see something besides the boring pattern we are in this winter. So with the decent cold shots but the STJ getting involved to late for us has provided the Carolina's we some decent winter weather.
Carolinas might get their third one of the season towards the end of the week. You should have stayed in Greenville all winter Tim. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

12Z Team Canada is more interesting on Friday, look at this. Images valid for Fri morning and Fri night.

CMC1.png
CMC2.png
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MJSun
Thunder Storm

Post by MJSun »

tron777 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:39 pm
Yeah. It's all we can do., Feb should have some warmth injected into the pattern so we're playing with rain to snow and snow to rain type systems. But you can get a big dog if the timing works out. Timing is always the part of the equation that we don't do well on here lol
So cold rain. Gotya. ;)
Mollie
Cincinnati: Batavia/Amelia (H), Norwood (W)

The extent of my weather knowledge is pointing at the sky and saying what color it is.

:bouncymulti:
cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

CVG actually hit 40 today per the 5pm climo report.

Also tack on another 0.1" snow :lol:
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I hit 40 today too.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

MJSun wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 4:11 pm
tron777 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 1:39 pm
So cold rain. Gotya. ;)
Sometimes it will be yes. :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

18Z GFS was back to the way late phase again for Friday's system.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Currently IND and ILN are projecting around 0 for early Wed morning and topping out in the mid teens for both Anderson, IN and Greenville! Of all days temp-wise to take care of some business with an aunt in Anderson. :lol: ;)