January 15-17, 2022 Winter Storm Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
Trevor
Site Admin

Re: January 15-17, 2022 Winter Storm Discussion

Post by Trevor »

Going to maintain my 1-3” metro, 3-6” E/SE of town forecast. Don’t see any reason for that to change at the moment. DO need the bleeding to stop though haha!
Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
jlcarey1
Rain Shower

Post by jlcarey1 »

cloudy72 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:45 am Major ice potential in the typical cold wedge zone of NE Georgia, western South Carolina up through the Piedmont of North Carolina.
This is what I'm looking forward to! Living in Charlotte, NC now and we never see any good action. Very rarely. So I'm excited to see how this turns out!
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Yikes, just catching up, bad day at the model office. Reading all the posts of what or why things turned a bit sour , and then all the things that need to happen to turn the tide , its a kick in the teeth reminder how hard it is to get a descent snow for cvgland. 4 things can be perfect but one bad apple can upset the cart. When was the last time we really had an Apps runner? Stilll an event for a portiion of posters and not ready to stick a fork in it just yet. It still is fascinating to watch unfold
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
mikeyp
Heavy Rain

Post by mikeyp »

I will take anything at this point! Still fun to watch how this storm will take shape! I am going with up to an inch for my area but that could change!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

The 1010 MB low over us is transferring is energy to what is soon to become the big ocean storm by tomorrow. In the meantime, the upper low for our system is onshore along the WA / OR boarder.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

Bgoney wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:39 pm Yikes, just catching up, bad day at the model office. Reading all the posts of what or why things turned a bit sour , and then all the things that need to happen to turn the tide , its a kick in the teeth reminder how hard it is to get a descent snow for cvgland. 4 things can be perfect but one bad apple can upset the cart. When was the last time we really had an Apps runner? Stilll an event for a portiion of posters and not ready to stick a fork in it just yet. It still is fascinating to watch unfold
Great post! We have several posters from eastern Ohio on here, as well as from parts of the country. Obviously this is a heavily-weighted Cincinnati forum, we still have several people on board from other areas. Hence why I still started a thread even when models began trending away from Cincinnati. High impact storm for many.
Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

jlcarey1 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:37 pm
cloudy72 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:45 am Major ice potential in the typical cold wedge zone of NE Georgia, western South Carolina up through the Piedmont of North Carolina.
This is what I'm looking forward to! Living in Charlotte, NC now and we never see any good action. Very rarely. So I'm excited to see how this turns out!
I didn't know you all had moved down there? Awesome Jess! Enjoy this one. Could be some good frz rain down your way with it. You want the southern track to remain more on the snow side.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

jlcarey1
Rain Shower

Post by jlcarey1 »

tron777 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:49 pm
I didn't know you all had moved down there? Awesome Jess! Enjoy this one. Could be some good frz rain down your way with it. You want the southern track to remain more on the snow side.
Yep, been down here just over 4 years now! First year we moved here we got 3" and it shut the entire city down for like 3 days. lol So yeah, we don't get much of the good stuff here. So far, everyone is saying it sounds like going to be a big mixed bag, maybe a lot of snow, but more likely some snow with lots of freezing rain, some ice accumulation, etc. Will just be happy to see any kind of action instead of just rain. ha!
BookNerdCarp
EF0 Tornado

Post by BookNerdCarp »

I'm just going with my generic weather app on my MacBook...those are always right! :o :? :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

So far I have been in Greenville since June of 2019 and so far 1/10 of an inch has fallen. I was there when it happened on a Friday Morning and saw it snow. Those folks really get worked up with the weather and have had furniture companies cancel a delivery because of wind and we are just talking 25-35 miles winds.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

jlcarey1 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:57 pm
tron777 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:49 pm
Yep, been down here just over 4 years now! First year we moved here we got 3" and it shut the entire city down for like 3 days. lol So yeah, we don't get much of the good stuff here. So far, everyone is saying it sounds like going to be a big mixed bag, maybe a lot of snow, but more likely some snow with lots of freezing rain, some ice accumulation, etc. Will just be happy to see any kind of action instead of just rain. ha!
I had no idea you all had moved. :lol: Hope everything is going well. :) Good luck down there with this system!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

12Z EPS Mean thru 90 hours: Mike your Mom's hood looks good again. :lol:

EPSMEan.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Trevor wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:47 pm
Great post! We have several posters from eastern Ohio on here, as well as from parts of the country. Obviously this is a heavily-weighted Cincinnati forum, we still have several people on board from other areas. Hence why I still started a thread even when models began trending away from Cincinnati. High impact storm for many.
Very true - and should have been more specific. Just throwing in the towel for my local hood. :) Def agree on a high impact storm for folks from near ATL all the way up the coast.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

cloudy72 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:16 pm
Trevor wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:47 pm
Very true - and should have been more specific. Just throwing in the towel for my local hood. :) Def agree on a high impact storm for folks from near ATL all the way up the coast.
Hey Mike, no throwing in the towel unless we are within 2 days of the event. So only after midnight tonight will towel throwing be allowed. lol
cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

tpweather wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:23 pm
Hey Mike, no throwing in the towel unless we are within 2 days of the event. So only after midnight tonight will towel throwing be allowed. lol
Ha Ha - yeah like I said the 00z suite could bury us all, then I can hop back on the wagon :)
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

BG SnowTalk from about an hour ago: https://www.wave3.com/2022/01/13/snowta ... pdate-113/
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

young pup
EF4 Tornado

Post by young pup »

Still in the game for a couple of inches of snow here. That I can do. :) Unless it continues to move more east.
cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

tron777 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:12 pm 12Z EPS Mean thru 90 hours: Mike your Mom's hood looks good again. :lol:

Yeah this will be two hits in a row there!
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

That EPS mean matches up with the GEFs pretty well. Its been a I71 and points SE event for quite a few runs(days) now.
cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Oh lord - 18z NAM is further north again - isn't it? LOL
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Wow.. Low is in Eastern TN again. Transfer is going to take longer on this run.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:37 pm Wow.. Low is in Eastern TN again. Transfer is going to take longer on this run.
I believe this is more in line of what should happen. That last run just looked wrong imo. Showed a strengthening system in the gulf area but moving southeast for quite awhile. Lets see later runs but a more northerly trend should happen.
fyrfyter
Thunder Storm

Post by fyrfyter »

Let's play the model cave game... which model will cave to which and when... I still think we get NAM'ed again... :screaming:
~Aaron
Mack/Green Township, OH

My Current Conditions
cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

18z NAM runs always make me nervous.....AMP NAM time.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Another good run for I71 and points SE