August 2021 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: August 2021 Weather Discussion

Post by tron777 »

snowbo wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:20 pm
tron777 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:05 pm
snowbo wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 12:56 pm Got in late last night from a week long walleye fishing trip in Hornepayne, Ontario. Drove through copious amounts of water coming through Michigan and Ohio. Speed down to 45mph at times. Impressive lightning show as well. Over 3 inches in the gauge for the week+.
Hope the bite was good Bo! Heading to Cass Lake, MN myself in less then 2 weeks. :)
The bite was amazing with the minimal fishing pressure the last 2 years. We (2 people) caught just shy of 300 with most in the 17 to 20 inch range. I did manage to catch a 40" northern on a jig and a minnow....that was fun!!!
Awesome! Sounds similar to my last Canadian experience many years ago (Pre 9/11) :thumbsup: They can't touch Lake Erie when it comes to size, but they do have some great numbers! :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

OK Folks... We can use this thread for the action today and Ida tomorrow. Sept. thread is active now for Wed onwards. Thanks all! :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Oh my! Across the river from LOU:

WFO Report Time County Location State Event Type Magnitude
LMK 8/30 1:00 PM CLARK 1 N JEFFERSONVILLE IN HEAVY RAIN 3.89
Source: COCORAHS UTC Valid: 2021-08-30T17:00:00Z
Remark: FORMER NWS EMPLOYEE REPORTED 3.89 INCHES OF RAIN IN AN HOUR.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

A new line has formed to the West of IND, likely right along the actual cold front itself. I haven't seen a lot of rain today but it's been cloudy and damp all day so I would guess that the line is going to peter out the closer it gets to us. We'll see of course.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Some sunshine trying to break out here in the Dayton area.....up to 79 in my hood. SBCAPE of 3000 J/kg exists in the vicinity of those Indy storms (also a little bit of shear). PWs are starting to approach 2" so any storm that does form (as we saw near LOU) will produce copious amounts of rain in a short time.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

cloudy72 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 2:14 pm Some sunshine trying to break out here in the Dayton area.....up to 79 in my hood. SBCAPE of 3000 J/kg exists in the vicinity of those Indy storms (also a little bit of shear). PWs are starting to approach 2" so any storm that does form (as we saw near LOU) will produce copious amounts of rain in a short time.
I like that higher ribbon of dews for your area as well. You've got a shot at some stronger storms and /or heavy rain for sure this afternoon. Not feeling confident in this area down here due to being socked in by clouds.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

0.24" at CVG as of 2pm...
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

0.22" here for my updated total. Light rain currently falling again and 72. CVG as of 3pm is at 73 with light rain and a total of 0.26"
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

young pup
EF4 Tornado

Post by young pup »

tron777 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:36 am Awesome guys! Glad to hear you all have cashed in who have needed it. Or too much rain as in the case of CMH (right JP?) :lol: Light rain here and some thunder. Nothing very heavy yet which is fine by me. The heavier rains usually don't soak in to that hard KY clay anyway.
:) Yes for my area to much rain. Other areas do need it, so I am happy that they got some rain last night. So far today, it has been dry.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

young pup wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:36 pm
tron777 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 9:36 am Awesome guys! Glad to hear you all have cashed in who have needed it. Or too much rain as in the case of CMH (right JP?) :lol: Light rain here and some thunder. Nothing very heavy yet which is fine by me. The heavier rains usually don't soak in to that hard KY clay anyway.
:) Yes for my area to much rain. Other areas do need it, so I am happy that they got some rain last night. So far today, it has been dry.
Awesome and the worst of Ida should miss you to the SE at this stage of the game.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

0.23" looks to be my total for the day as it stands right now.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

cloudy72 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 1:37 pm Oh my! Across the river from LOU:

WFO Report Time County Location State Event Type Magnitude
LMK 8/30 1:00 PM CLARK 1 N JEFFERSONVILLE IN HEAVY RAIN 3.89
Source: COCORAHS UTC Valid: 2021-08-30T17:00:00Z
Remark: FORMER NWS EMPLOYEE REPORTED 3.89 INCHES OF RAIN IN AN HOUR.
No doubt these type of rainfall amounts can occur with the air mass in place. I got 4 inches in one hour and another 2 the next hour. I may never see that in my life. When you call the fire department out to check the sewers you know there is a problem. The next day about 15 hours after the event the sewer was still flowing big time like it just had a thunderstorm the hour before. My grill and the neighbors grill both were taken off his deck and my patio. At first I thought because of the strong winds but it may have been because the water was so high so quick that it swept out into the yards.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:08 pm 0.23" looks to be my total for the day as it stands right now.
Les only about a 1/3 of an inch here today so I am good through October.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

The more I look at the current conditions and how Ida is moving north and northeast I expect plenty of rain in the mountains of Kentucky and W.Virgina. Would not be surprised to hear of amounts great than 6 inches and we saw a few weeks ago when a tropical system makes it to the mountains the models underplay the totals big time.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

1350 UNK 1 W CARROLLTON CARROLL KY 3868 8518 TREE REPORTED DOWN ON SYCAMORE AND 7TH. TIME ESTIMATED FROM RADAR. (ILN)

1700 UNK 2 SW LEESBURG SCOTT KY 3828 8445 ROOF DAMAGE TO A HOME ... INCLUDING BRICKS FROM THE CHIMNEY AND SHINGLES. SOME OF THE BRICKS DAMAGED THE ROOF AND CREATED A HOLE. SEVERAL TREES DOWN IN THE IMMEDIATE AREA. (LMK)
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

----
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:13 pm
tron777 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:08 pm 0.23" looks to be my total for the day as it stands right now.
Les only about a 1/3 of an inch here today so I am good through October.
:lol: - Wish I could say that! I could use another inch and I'll be looking very good.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:16 pm The more I look at the current conditions and how Ida is moving north and northeast I expect plenty of rain in the mountains of Kentucky and W.Virgina. Would not be surprised to hear of amounts great than 6 inches and we saw a few weeks ago when a tropical system makes it to the mountains the models underplay the totals big time.
Agreed Tim... There will be some 6" totals without a doubt. I called for 4-6" the other day for the heaviest rains and it still looks good to me.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:53 pm
tpweather wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:16 pm The more I look at the current conditions and how Ida is moving north and northeast I expect plenty of rain in the mountains of Kentucky and W.Virgina. Would not be surprised to hear of amounts great than 6 inches and we saw a few weeks ago when a tropical system makes it to the mountains the models underplay the totals big time.
Agreed Tim... There will be some 6" totals without a doubt. I called for 4-6" the other day for the heaviest rains and it still looks good to me.
Hopefully that much rainfall in so many hours time span won't cause any slides along sides of the mountains. I remember a portion along I-40 between TN and NC several years ago that would have boulder slides and finally the DOT installed massive bolts into the face to help stabilize that mountainside area.
young pup
EF4 Tornado

Post by young pup »

tron777 wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 7:02 pm
young pup wrote: Mon Aug 30, 2021 6:36 pm
Awesome and the worst of Ida should miss you to the SE at this stage of the game.
Yes, I looked at the models when I got home. That is what I was kinda of seeing maybe half an inch to an inch on the 12z runs. That would be manageable though. If anything that will give more rain to areas around here that need it.
young pup
EF4 Tornado

Post by young pup »

Can we say mudslides? No, I am not talking the alcoholic drink either. :)
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

No new precip at CVG or here overnight. The heaviest will be in our SE today and tonight ending on Wed with Ida. Scattered for the rest of us. I'm actually disappointed so far at the rains I have received, Was honestly expecting an inch for my hood, just don't think we'll get there this far to the west.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

I agree Les! Band of rain just to my north with the front and Ida remnants likely staying to my south. I feel like a dome sandwich lol
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

cloudy72 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:48 am I agree Les! Band of rain just to my north with the front and Ida remnants likely staying to my south. I feel like a dome sandwich lol
Yeah... that look is even more apparent for your area. Absolutely! ILN has CVG getting over 3/4" of rain today ending tomorrow morning. I'll believe it when I see it. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tron777 wrote: Tue Aug 31, 2021 6:40 am No new precip at CVG or here overnight. The heaviest will be in our SE today and tonight ending on Wed with Ida. Scattered for the rest of us. I'm actually disappointed so far at the rains I have received, Was honestly expecting an inch for my hood, just don't think we'll get there this far to the west.
Went to bed last night thinking the same disappointment for mby, had nothing for the last 5 days, but overnight had one of those rogue showers and got a much needed inch out of it. Would love to see more today but not expecting much looking at radar and dryer air squeezing Ida's northern extent. Got to give the NAM props for Ida's remnants staying further SE than other models
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!