August 2023 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tpweather
Hurricane

Re: August 2023 Weather Discussion

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:21 am
tpweather wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 8:38 pm
tron777 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:05 pm Cvg has dropped to 77 as of 3pm. The sensor is definitely broken today. :lol:
That temp around noon or 1pm made no sense. Not sure what is going on with the sensor.
There was definitely a problem. Climate report for 8/27 now shows the high and low as missing. :lol:
Good Morning Les and I am they are looking at the data today. When the temp went up 11 degrees in 1 hour under mostly cloudy sky we knew there was something wrong. My guess the high temp will be readjusted later today and somewhere in that 77-80 degree range.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 7:51 am
tron777 wrote: Sun Aug 27, 2023 3:05 pm Cvg has dropped to 77 as of 3pm. The sensor is definitely broken today. :lol:
That temp around noon or 1pm made no sense. Not sure what is going on with the sensor.
There was definitely a problem. Climate report for 8/27 now shows the high and low as missing. :lol:
Good Morning Les and I am they are looking at the data today. When the temp went up 11 degrees in 1 hour under mostly cloudy sky we knew there was something wrong. My guess the high temp will be readjusted later today and somewhere in that 77-80 degree range.
I'm okay with the low 80s. But I disagree with 85 completely. I had 81 yesterday and Boone Co mesonet had 80. I am guessing CVG was in that 80-82 degree range.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

It sure feels great out there this morning though., Dewpoint is 58 at CVG and it feels wonderful! Enjoy today thru Thursday folks before the humidity and temps start to creep back towards our typical summer time levels.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Current guidance doesn't show any rain chances for us until 9/6 or 9/7. At this point, I will maintain a dry forecast for the next 7-10 days. We can work on that timing once we get closer. The tropics may or may not change that timing. We will need to monitor guidance and the tropics going forward. You guys know how these transitional seasons and months work. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:41 am Current guidance doesn't show any rain chances for us until 9/6 or 9/7. At this point, I will maintain a dry forecast for the next 7-10 days. We can work on that timing once we get closer. The tropics may or may not change that timing. We will need to monitor guidance and the tropics going forward. You guys know how these transitional seasons and months work. :lol:
I agree and at the moment the Atlantic is quiet except for the 2 storms nearby. If the Atlantic stays rather quiet then the heat the models are showing in the extended may need to be trimmed down but will give several days and let these two storms move away before models sort of reorganize.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:53 am
tron777 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 9:41 am Current guidance doesn't show any rain chances for us until 9/6 or 9/7. At this point, I will maintain a dry forecast for the next 7-10 days. We can work on that timing once we get closer. The tropics may or may not change that timing. We will need to monitor guidance and the tropics going forward. You guys know how these transitional seasons and months work. :lol:
I agree and at the moment the Atlantic is quiet except for the 2 storms nearby. If the Atlantic stays rather quiet then the heat the models are showing in the extended may need to be trimmed down but will give several days and let these two storms move away before models sort of reorganize.
Great post Tim! I will keep my upper 80s to 90 call for Labor Day Weekend intact. I still believe that is coming thanks to the tropics. How long that lasts as well as our dry pattern remains to be seen as we have stated.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:21 am
I'm okay with the low 80s. But I disagree with 85 completely. I had 81 yesterday and Boone Co mesonet had 80. I am guessing CVG was in that 80-82 degree range.
CVG 82, DAY 79 and CMH 81 were all readjusted Bro. :)
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

MVWxObserver wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 10:49 am
tron777 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:21 am

CVG 82, DAY 79 and CMH 81 were all readjusted Bro. :)
Beautiful! Thank you Bro for reporting that. Our suspicion was correct. :thumbsup: :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

If the above doesn't work for you in regards to BG's Video (not working for me either) this link does work from his FB page:

Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Dropped to 57 here this AM. Man the GFS looks like it is off it's rocker again next week for high temps. Although with these tropical systems passing to our SE gotta watch for that sinking air on the west side inflating highs. But can't imagine 5 days of 100+ heat in September. :lol: Perhaps another long stretch of 90s?
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

cloudy72 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:14 am Dropped to 57 here this AM. Man the GFS looks like it is off it's rocker again next week for high temps. Although with these tropical systems passing to our SE gotta watch for that sinking air on the west side inflating highs. But can't imagine 5 days of 100+ heat in September. :lol: Perhaps another long stretch of 90s?
58 here this morning! The ground will definitely dry out Mike due to the lack of rain despite some of us getting a good soaking last week. 100 degree heat in September would be breaking records. :lol: I am going with the upper 80s to around 90 for the Labor Day weekend then after that, the lower 90s wouldn't shock me at all. I am going to stick with that for the time being. I currently don't see those insane dew points either so that may also help get those numbers up. With the last heat wave, using CVG, 94 was the best we could do. I don't see us going higher then that at this time.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:30 am
cloudy72 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 11:14 am Dropped to 57 here this AM. Man the GFS looks like it is off it's rocker again next week for high temps. Although with these tropical systems passing to our SE gotta watch for that sinking air on the west side inflating highs. But can't imagine 5 days of 100+ heat in September. :lol: Perhaps another long stretch of 90s?
58 here this morning! The ground will definitely dry out Mike due to the lack of rain despite some of us getting a good soaking last week. 100 degree heat in September would be breaking records. :lol: I am going with the upper 80s to around 90 for the Labor Day weekend then after that, the lower 90s wouldn't shock me at all. I am going to stick with that for the time being. I currently don't see those insane dew points either so that may also help get those numbers up. With the last heat wave, using CVG, 94 was the best we could do. I don't see us going higher then that at this time.
I agree and yes we had that insane day on Friday with dew point at 80 but it was a one day event. The drying out process will not get us even close to those dew points again as places further west will be drying out as well. I believe early on starting the Labor day weekend we have some temps in that 88-91 range and then lets see what happens after the tropical systems move away because they always have influence on the models and sometimes they are correct. Just showing what tropical systems can do is the current Hurricane which just formed changed how low some temps were over the weekend. This extended even further north as many places ended 5-10 above what the models were showing 4 days ago. This time of year and usually into early Oct the tropics can be the bully in the neighborhood and at the moment they are to a certain extent. I just want to see by the time we get to Friday what the models are showing 7-10 days out. If another tropical system forms yes the higher temps seem correct but we have nothing going on anywhere near the USA then I would expect those temps to be tempered somewhat and instead of temps close to 90 we may see them closer to the 83-85 range
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I think Idalia will be influencing the weather pattern for quite sometime. If it doesn't get kicked out to sea that is. Check out the 12Z GFS. This is crazy! The system gets off the SE Coast back over water by Thurs evening then it maybe a weak TS at that point. The system drops south then SW back into the East Coast of FL by Labor Day. Moves across FL then back into the N Gulf. Then it strikes New Orleans area / Mobile, AL, what's left of it, by Sept 6-8th time period. Some of that moisture could get funneled northward to help feed showers and t-storms ahead of a nice cold front / trough by then for the OV. Then, the heat comes right back per the GFS thanks to a trough over the Pacific NW. no idea if this is the usual GFS silliness or if it has merit.

12Z CMC does not support the idea and Idalia does move out to sea. Thus, Fall can commence. So there we go. How long our dryness lasts as well as the upcoming warmth, is going to depend on what happens with Idalia in the tropics. All I can say is stay tuned! New 12Z Euro also kicks it (slowly) out to sea. 12Z GEFS members are split between the OP GFS's idea and the foreign model idea.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Les we have seen this before where a hurricane will lose strength and then sort of sit around and then gain strength once again and head westward. No its not common but has happened before. I believe that looks unlikely but you can never throw these storms because they seem to keep a bit of energy even after they have hit land and move offshore. Of course the part of Atlantic will have been used so not sure if the energy will be able to gain strength again. I tend to agree more with the cmc and euro though they keep some energy as well but further east and looks like it does not head westward.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 2:53 pm Les we have seen this before where a hurricane will lose strength and then sort of sit around and then gain strength once again and head westward. No its not common but has happened before. I believe that looks unlikely but you can never throw these storms because they seem to keep a bit of energy even after they have hit land and move offshore. Of course the part of Atlantic will have been used so not sure if the energy will be able to gain strength again. I tend to agree more with the cmc and euro though they keep some energy as well but further east and looks like it does not head westward.
At this early stage of the game, I too will side with the foreign models. However, we need to keep one eye open just in case the GooFuS somehow scores a coupe. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

80 as of 3pm at CVG with a dew of 57. We will have several of these gorgeous days thru Thursday before the warmth and humidity return.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Very nice stretch of weather Les. Over the weekend it will get warmer and that is an easy call but how high is the next question. Normal by then is high around 83 and low around 62 at CVG. Looks like a trough on the west coast which helps the ridge in the central part of the country get rather large. So no doubt to the west of us some 90's but again dew points should be much less than last week so even folks there will be hot but not as humid. My thoughts on the northeast is they may have a trough as well which could lessen the heat here locally by a few degrees. So instead of 88-90 maybe 85-87. Just an early thought on the pattern this upcoming weekend. Should remain dry which is very common for late August and early September
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

No doubt Tim! Today thru Thurs no problems with delightful temps and low humidity levels. After that, I have no changes to my temp calls. Mid 80s Friday, the upper 80s to 90 this weekend and Labor Day. Then we'll see about the low 90s or not next week along with when we see our next rain chances. Currently I am going with the 9/6 to 9/7 timeframe.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:54 pm No doubt Tim! Today thru Thurs no problems with delightful temps and low humidity levels. After that, I have no changes to my temp calls. Mid 80s Friday, the upper 80s to 90 this weekend and Labor Day. Then we'll see about the low 90s or not next week along with when we see our next rain chances. Currently I am going with the 9/6 to 9/7 timeframe.
Les your forecast may be perfect because over the weekend we may only have dew points in the low 60's or so and temps with a bright sunny sky can rise quickly. So I may be underestimating temps a little because of that reason. Need to get those temps down into the upper 70's or lower by Sept 11-14 as I have a 4 day golf outing in Brown County Indiana and the beer is much nicer at 76 degrees than 86 degrees.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:58 pm
tron777 wrote: Mon Aug 28, 2023 3:54 pm No doubt Tim! Today thru Thurs no problems with delightful temps and low humidity levels. After that, I have no changes to my temp calls. Mid 80s Friday, the upper 80s to 90 this weekend and Labor Day. Then we'll see about the low 90s or not next week along with when we see our next rain chances. Currently I am going with the 9/6 to 9/7 timeframe.
Les your forecast may be perfect because over the weekend we may only have dew points in the low 60's or so and temps with a bright sunny sky can rise quickly. So I may be underestimating temps a little because of that reason. Need to get those temps down into the upper 70's or lower by Sept 11-14 as I have a 4 day golf outing in Brown County Indiana and the beer is much nicer at 76 degrees than 86 degrees.
Agreed on the dews Tim. I don't see dews getting much above 65 thru our forecast period. (Labor Day). Would love to see a nice shot of cool air for your golf outing as well. I believe that will come. I just don't know if it'll be then or after mid month. Again, we shall see what the tropics do as that will certainly have a say in when the summer time warmth is done.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

airwolf76
EF0 Tornado

Post by airwolf76 »

long range showing well above avg temps as we go into September. yuck ! mid to upper 80s all next week. sumhow I knew this was gonna happen since most this entire summer was below avg and now as we get closer to fall summer is gonna set in and its going to end up hot in Sept and Oct. i think it was just 3 or 4 years ago it was almost 90 in early Oct here. patterns always shift and change so expect to see dry and above avg temps as we get into Sept
22'/23' snowfall > 11"
23'/24' snowfall > 19.5"
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good morning folks! Local 12 has us at 94 now on Labor Day. :lol: The 1st half of Sept no doubt will be dry and well above normal in temps. Hopefully the tropics shut down early this year and we can get on to Fall. :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

57 glorious degrees here this morning! The humidity won't be too bad until Labor Day. You will really notice it by then along with those 90s. Still thinking low 90s. I'm not ready to bite on that 94 yet.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

young pup
EF4 Tornado

Post by young pup »

tron777 wrote: Tue Aug 29, 2023 7:52 am 57 glorious degrees here this morning! The humidity won't be too bad until Labor Day. You will really notice it by then along with those 90s. Still thinking low 90s. I'm not ready to bite on that 94 yet.
Check this out. Beautiful morning to be working outside.
IMG_4405.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.