White Christmas Blizzard 2022

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tpweather
Hurricane

Re: I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas 2022

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:39 pm
MVWxObserver wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:07 pm ILN currently has Greenville at a high of 2 Fri, 6 Christmas Eve and 13 Christmas Day.

PSA: For those that have Rumpke e.g. pickup service scheduled for Fri like my folks and I do, you may want to roll out your curbside carts this evening since rain moving in for much of Thurs and then ahead of the changeover Thurs night.

The trash guy or gal may have to give the cart lid a thump or two if scheduled Fri to loosen the icy crust over. :lol:

Also don't be surprised if mail is delayed or not at all re residences re Fri and Sat due to the nasty conditions. Yes I know what the USPS motto is but a storm system like this may be an exception. ;)
USPS sucks here. I don't get mail 1 or 2 days a week by default these days. I had to go to online bill pay so my bills weren't late. :lol: Our trash service, Bestway has that robotic arm that lifts the can up, dumps it into the truck, then sets it back down. The driver doesn't even need to leave the truck.
We have a wonderful mail lady in our neighborhood. They are so understaffed and she mention working 85 hours last week alone. We can blame it on congress or the higher ups with the postal service but the mail carriers themselves do a remarkable job with little backing. We need to get rid of home service and use some of this empty office space and have these buildings serve as a place you pick up your mail. If unable then have a service to deliver this to your house. The problem is we still expect a letter to go cross country for under a 1 dollar. No wonder the post office loses 10billion dollars every year.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:44 pm
MVWxObserver wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:07 pm ILN currently has Greenville at a high of 2 Fri, 6 Christmas Eve and 13 Christmas Day.

PSA: For those that have Rumpke e.g. pickup service scheduled for Fri like my folks and I do, you may want to roll out your curbside carts this evening since rain moving in for much of Thurs and then ahead of the changeover Thurs night.

The trash guy or gal may have to give the cart lid a thump or two if scheduled Fri to loosen the icy crust over. :lol:

Also don't be surprised if mail is delayed or not at all re residences re Fri and Sat due to the nasty conditions. Yes I know what the USPS motto is but a storm system like this may be an exception. ;)
USPS sucks here. I don't get mail 1 or 2 days a week by default these days. I had to go to online bill pay so my bills weren't late. :lol: Our trash service, Bestway has that robotic arm that lifts the can up, dumps it into the truck, then sets it back down. The driver doesn't even need to leave the truck.
We have a wonderful mail lady in our neighborhood. They are so understaffed and she mention working 85 hours last week alone. We can blame it on congress or the higher ups with the postal service but the mail carriers themselves do a remarkable job with little backing. We need to get rid of home service and use some of this empty office space and have these buildings serve as a place you pick up your mail. If unable then have a service to deliver this to your house. The problem is we still expect a letter to go cross country for under a 1 dollar. No wonder the post office loses 10billion dollars every year.
We used to have a very nice mail lady a couple of years ago. Very caring, understanding, we always got our mail on time, etc etc. The new guy from the last couple of years is awful. Mail can come as early as 9am or as late as 5pm plus. I call him "speedy" because that dude just zips right along! I know darn well he is not sorting the mail properly. Some days nothing to very little. Other days, a ton of mail arrives. No consistency.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:48 pm

We used to have a very nice mail lady a couple of years ago. Very caring, understanding, we always got our mail on time, etc etc. The new guy from the last couple of years is awful. Mail can come as early as 9am or as late as 5pm plus. I call him "speedy" because that dude just zips right along! I know darn well he is nor sorting the mail properly. Some days nothing to very little. Other days, a ton of mail arrives. No consistency.
Another reason to get rid of home service. Amazon,Fedex,Ups charge enough to have delivery service but the post office does not have the financial resources and losing that much money a year is yes tax payer dollars.
cincy bud
Rain Shower

Post by cincy bud »

I wonder if Rumpke will even pick up Friday.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

cincy bud wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:52 pm I wonder if Rumpke will even pick up Friday.
I know in our neighborhood they do pick up even if its a holiday. Not sure how each city writes up their contract with rumpke.
Pete1
Heavy Rain

Post by Pete1 »

tron777 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:48 pm

We used to have a very nice mail lady a couple of years ago. Very caring, understanding, we always got our mail on time, etc etc. The new guy from the last couple of years is awful. Mail can come as early as 9am or as late as 5pm plus. I call him "speedy" because that dude just zips right along! I know darn well he is not sorting the mail properly. Some days nothing to very little. Other days, a ton of mail arrives. No consistency.
You all still get mail :o I thought getting bills via snail mail went away years ago :) :) :)
Burlington, KY
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

I get an occasional bill but 99.9 p/c of mine is paid online. The only bills I get is for my mom who is in a nursing home so that is the ones I don't pay online.
Last edited by tpweather on Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Final piece of the afternoon models and the Euro imo is further east. Les what is your take on the Euro
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Pete1 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 12:57 pm You all still get mail :o I thought getting bills via snail mail went away years ago :) :) :)
I remained as old school as possible until the post office forced my hand. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:04 pm Final piece of the afternoon models and the Euro imo is further east. Les what is your take on the Euro
I'm just coming back from my lunch break to my work laptop so one sec. Let me pull it up.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:05 pm
tpweather wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:04 pm Final piece of the afternoon models and the Euro imo is further east. Les what is your take on the Euro
I'm just coming back from my lunch break to my work laptop so one sec. Let me pull it up.
Les we don't have time for you to take lunch breaks. lol
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

HOLY COW @ the backside precip! :o
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

mikeyp
Heavy Rain

Post by mikeyp »

Anyone have a pic of euro map?
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I don't have a Kuchera map unfortunately, but at 10:1 it's a 3-4" snowfall. Obviously it'll be higher then that with ratios. I would not go too crazy with ratios because of the wind as we discussed earlier. Still though... 0.40 plus of backside precip is showing up on this run of the Euro. Why? Why did it go crazy with the QPF all of a sudden? This goes against the trends. I think it's because the PNA ridge is right along the West Coast when it amplifies. A better angle of attack. The trough is more negative tilt. The timing is as such the upper low deepens at the right time and there's barely if any dry slotting. In fact at 700 MB, we stay saturated from about NKY on northward thru all of Christmas Eve, Night and even into Christmas Day! Even though the Euro isn't showing QPF in the text data, this is true Siberian arctic air we are dealing with so flurries and snow showers would still get wrung out in cyclonic flow behind the departing low for a longer period of time.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Pete1
Heavy Rain

Post by Pete1 »

tron777 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:06 pm HOLY COW @ the backside precip! :o
Is that a good holy cow or a bad holy cow? :)
Burlington, KY
fyrfyter
Thunder Storm

Post by fyrfyter »

A7C76886-4D1C-4EAD-A510-F3FEA0254925.jpeg
Killer run! :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~Aaron
Mack/Green Township, OH

My Current Conditions
MJSun
Thunder Storm

Post by MJSun »

It's funny to me that people are freaking out about the cold when it used to get regularly that cold during winter when I was a kid in Columbus, Ohio.

I'd love to get snow and not cold sleet then a dry slot when it (finally) gets cold enough. Pleeease!

Then I see this (watching Ryan Hall Y'all) and my eyes roll so far hard they almost pop out. :lol:
Europe weather.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MJSun on Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Mollie
Cincinnati: Batavia/Amelia (H), Norwood (W)

The extent of my weather knowledge is pointing at the sky and saying what color it is.

:bouncymulti:
Pete1
Heavy Rain

Post by Pete1 »

Pete1 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:20 pm
Edit: just saw your post above. It’s a good holy cow :)
Burlington, KY
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Pete1 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:21 pm
Pete1 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:20 pm
Edit: just saw your post above. It’s a good holy cow :)
Yes Sir! No reason to change the forecast, at least for my forecast. It is only one run and it did go against the trends. This may very well be a one off run from the Euro. We just don't know. These little fluctuations make a huge difference in our sensible weather. We continue to monitor, watch, and wait. :) It's all we can do.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:19 pm I don't have a Kuchera map unfortunately, but at 10:1 it's a 3-4" snowfall. Obviously it'll be higher then that with ratios. I would not go too crazy with ratios because of the wind as we discussed earlier. Still though... 0.40 plus of backside precip is showing up on this run of the Euro. Why? Why did it go crazy with the QPF all of a sudden? This goes against the trends. I think it's because the PNA ridge is right along the West Coast when it amplifies. A better angle of attack. The trough is more negative tilt. The timing is as such the upper low deepens at the right time and there's barely if any dry slotting. In fact at 700 MB, we stay saturated from about NKY on northward thru all of Christmas Eve, Night and even into Christmas Day! Even though the Euro isn't showing QPF in the text data, this is true Siberian arctic air we are dealing with so flurries and snow showers would still get wrung out in cyclonic flow behind the departing low for a longer period of time.
Les I believe the key one you mentioned is the negative tilt.
mainevilleweather
Thunder Storm

Post by mainevilleweather »

fyrfyter wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:20 pm A7C76886-4D1C-4EAD-A510-F3FEA0254925.jpeg

Killer run! :lol:
If that pans out it will be hilarious compared to where we were and everyone else was just 24 to 48 hours ago.
Pete1
Heavy Rain

Post by Pete1 »

NWS better get something out for NKY real soon or people not on this forum are going to be blindsided Friday and a dangerous blindsided at that.
Burlington, KY
Pete1
Heavy Rain

Post by Pete1 »

Pete1 wrote: Wed Dec 21, 2022 1:27 pm NWS better get something out for NKY real soon or people not on this forum are going to be blindsided Friday and a dangerous blindsided at that.
Silence is irresponsible at this point in the game!!
Burlington, KY
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

This tells you how much energy this system has got with it and gaining as we got into the future. Snow Squall Warning around Rapid City, SD. I believe this is a forerunner of what you will see around the Lakes on Friday.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

CB's site continue to have issues but he did post an afternoon update if you can get to it.

https://kyweathercenter.com/?p=56999

What a headline too! :lol: It reads: State of Emergency Declared for Snow and Brutal Cold
No wonder why the site is down and people are clicking like crazy trying to get there. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page