August 2021 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Re: August 2021 Weather Discussion

Post by Bgoney »

NOAA yet again adding more layers of despair
new_svr_ibw.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Yeah I don't know what to think. I mean, we know that when a t-storm is severe and you should take shelter if a warning is issued. Of course some of us would rather get a picture. :lol: Anyway, point is, you shouldn't have to be told what to do. When a warning is issued you act accordingly. Not sure if separate wording is needed. Guess we have a lot of sheep out there who need to be told what to do.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Its just so weird, I can see it now.... the Chin breaking news..... "we have a base severe t-storm warning for Hamilton and Butler county and a considerable warning for Warren County , oh wait the considerable warning has been downgraded to base and the base has been upgraded to considerable, but wait folks we now have a base severe warning for southern Boone and a considerable warning for northern Boone county ok , got it", oh ,and who is on first base.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Wed Aug 04, 2021 7:13 pm Its just so weird, I can see it now.... the Chin breaking news..... "we have a base severe t-storm warning for Hamilton and Butler county and a considerable warning for Warren County , oh wait the considerable warning has been downgraded to base and the base has been upgraded to considerable, but wait folks we now have a base severe warning for southern Boone and a considerable warning for northern Boone county ok , got it", oh ,and who is on first base.
LMAO! :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Yep, about as crazy as if Abbott and Costello got mail order met degrees. :lol:
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Mid 80s today, U80s tomorrow and Sat with 90+ likely Sun thru the middle of next week. For POPS not much, very slim until we get into the second half of next week. Pretty easy forecasting for a while for us locally.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

60 here this morning.... just couldn't quite make it down into the 50s for #4 in a row. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Other than the notorious NPacific Blob, this is as cool or close to normal I've seen the Pacific and Indian oceans for a few years
Screenshot_20210805-075643_Chrome.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Dews are decent, around 60 this morning but the sticky factor should really become more noticeable if not by the end of today, then most certainly by tomorrow. Possible contest days for an 89, 90+ begins on Friday and lasts thru at least Wed of next week at this point.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

3km NAM has a line of storms moving through on Saturday afternoon.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

cloudy72 wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 10:38 am 3km NAM has a line of storms moving through on Saturday afternoon.
Will it actually happen is the question. :lol: Would like to see that. OP NAM tries but the line is weak looking to me.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

I’m totally cool with the change to severe thunderstorm warnings for the most part, though some of the wording could be adjusted. I’m absolutely a proponent for smart phone alerts going off for higher-end severe thunderstorms that can and do produce the same damage (and risk to life) as a tornado.

Similar criticism was present when SPC added two additional categories to their outlooks. But alas it has worked out well for the most part, especially with the usage of a 1-5 risk scale.
Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I'm old. I don't like change. Get off my lawn! :mowlawn: :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good morning all and Happy Friday! Happy Birthday to you as well Lisa! Hope you have a wonderful day. :birthdaymulticolor: :cake: :candle:

Weatherwise... Spotty chances Sat and again next week with better chances IMO towards the second half of next week. For temps... U80s to L90s thru the period.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Trevor wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:20 pm I’m totally cool with the change to severe thunderstorm warnings for the most part, though some of the wording could be adjusted. I’m absolutely a proponent for smart phone alerts going off for higher-end severe thunderstorms that can and do produce the same damage (and risk to life) as a tornado.

Similar criticism was present when SPC added two additional categories to their outlooks. But alas it has worked out well for the most part, especially with the usage of a 1-5 risk scale.
An added PDS wording to the higher end t-storms would suffice for me but I'm not one of the ones they're trying to reach , so I get it
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Morning and it felt more like August yesterday but nothing extreme at all. Concerning the thunderstorm topic and really nothing to say on my end. Very typical mid-August weather over the next week and a general 88-92 highs expected and lows near 70. Isolated rain chances and again some folks may get a shower or two but nothing that is an all day rain. Looks like the tropics are starting to get active which you would expect this time of year.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good morning Tim... I wonder if the cool pattern will get interrupted for a while thanks to the tropics, or do the troughs keep coming to deflect some systems out to sea? It is all about timing. The next week and change looks above avg for sure as we await to see how the longer term shakes out.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Looks like during days 7-10 period we go back to the dominant west coast ridging, -EPO , that should get more fronts to move into the region. That pattern gave us decent precip for a good chunk of July, but mid-August is a different beast. Tough to say if we can get better precip coverage.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 8:17 am Looks like during days 7-10 period we go back to the dominant west coast ridging, -EPO , that should get more fronts to move into the region. That pattern gave us decent precip for a good chunk of July, but mid-August is a different beast. Tough to say if we can get better precip coverage.
If we stay dry, at least keep those 90s away, that's all I ask. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

Bgoney wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 7:34 am
Trevor wrote: Thu Aug 05, 2021 7:20 pm I’m totally cool with the change to severe thunderstorm warnings for the most part, though some of the wording could be adjusted. I’m absolutely a proponent for smart phone alerts going off for higher-end severe thunderstorms that can and do produce the same damage (and risk to life) as a tornado.

An added PDS wording to the higher end t-storms would suffice for me but I'm not one of the ones they're trying to reach , so I get it
Exactly. Their change was geared toward the general public, not us weather nuts as we already understand the differences in severe thunderstorm strengths and types.
Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

We've got that hazy, smokey look to the sky again. I wonder if that will hold temps down like it did last time? Will be interesting to see.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tron777 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:51 am We've got that hazy, smokey look to the sky again. I wonder if that will hold temps down like it did last time? Will be interesting to see.
Only 84 as of 2pm for the high at CVG so I'd say the answer is YES! :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

----
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 2:08 pm
tron777 wrote: Fri Aug 06, 2021 10:51 am We've got that hazy, smokey look to the sky again. I wonder if that will hold temps down like it did last time? Will be interesting to see.
Only 84 as of 2pm for the high at CVG so I'd say the answer is YES! :)
No doubt the hazy smoke kept temps down a few degrees. That is why a volcano that erupts in the northern regions can have a big affect on temps for months after an eruption. Chances of rain next week but its summer and trying to figure which day has the best chance will be a nowcast. My yard though still green for the most part is growing very slowly so at the point of mowing every 10-14 days. Some brown spots between the sidewalk and road and some around the edges of the lawn so its starting to look more like mid-late August
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good morning all and it's been 3 weeks now since MBY has had measurable rainfall. 7/17 was the last. I haven't mowed since then as you would expect. We've got a small chance today, best chance N of the River otherwise, the usual spotty afternoon t-storm pattern will take hold next week. Highs in the U80s to L90s can be expected now thru all of next week with lows around 70 give or take. A fairly standard August pattern for us.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page