August 2023 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: August 2023 Weather Discussion

Post by tron777 »

Glad you are here, Mjr! Always appreciate your observations and reports during inclement weather. Due to the dryness, my black walnut tree has begun to drop a few leaves early, and my maple tree too. The maple is a 40+ year old tree and isn't the healthiest of trees so it is more sensitive then a healthy tree otherwise would be. I've found a few tiny acorns on the ground too from my oak tree in the side yard. That also seems a bit early to be dropping those. I'm wondering if that is because of the dryness too.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Models are showing little to nothing for rainfall for the rest of August. The heat persists thru Friday then we cool down into the 80s if not the U70s by Sunday. It looks to be a dry frontal passage but at least the 90s will be done. If you believe the GFS, then rain chances look to resume Labor Day weekend.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Temps are already rising into the lower 80s with dews in the lower 70s. Yucky (unless you like this kind of weather, then it's right up your alley) :lol: I like the low 90s the next couple of days and mid 90s Thurs and Fri with the heat wave at its peak.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:52 am Models are showing little to nothing for rainfall for the rest of August. The heat persists thru Friday then we cool down into the 80s if not the U70s by Sunday. It looks to be a dry frontal passage but at least the 90s will be done. If you believe the GFS, then rain chances look to resume Labor Day weekend.
Les I am having a hard time not believing there won't be some showers and thundershowers with the frontal passage. I understand many fronts once we get in the early fall season are nothing more than a wind change and cooler temp but lets see later this week if the models start introducing some rainfall. Again most likely will not be widespread but I do expect some scattered activity.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:08 am
tron777 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 9:52 am Models are showing little to nothing for rainfall for the rest of August. The heat persists thru Friday then we cool down into the 80s if not the U70s by Sunday. It looks to be a dry frontal passage but at least the 90s will be done. If you believe the GFS, then rain chances look to resume Labor Day weekend.
Les I am having a hard time not believing there won't be some showers and thundershowers with the frontal passage. I understand many fronts once we get in the early fall season are nothing more than a wind change and cooler temp but lets see later this week if the models start introducing some rainfall. Again most likely will not be widespread but I do expect some scattered activity.
They were showing scattered activity, not a lot but a little a few days ago. They have backed off in the last couple of runs. Hopefully, it'll come back, but the problem is that the front is dropping in from the north so we're not getting a good gulf connection unfortunately so the chances, if we do see any, will remain on the low side. We really could use some moisture from the tropics but I don't see anything like that headed our way anytime soon.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:17 am
They were showing scattered activity, not a lot but a little a few days ago. They have backed off in the last couple of runs. Hopefully, it'll come back, but the problem is that the front is dropping in from the north so we're not getting a good gulf connection unfortunately so the chances, if we do see any, will remain on the low side. We really could use some moisture from the tropics but I don't see anything like that headed our way anytime soon.
I agree Les very little moisture from the GOM this go around but there may be some moisture attached to the front as the leftovers from Hilary may add some moisture to the front and again a little lift with the front may produce some rain. Again the amounts if this happen will be light and more than likely scattered. No doubt heading into the fall season and this could end being a very dry early fall imo as I am not expecting to much in the way of tropical activity to influence the weather locally
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

I see temp at CVG was 84 at 10am with a heat index of 90 already. I am sitting at 83 and some clouds are helping a little in terms of temps but the humidity you can start cutting with a knife.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:28 am
tron777 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 10:17 am
I agree Les very little moisture from the GOM this go around but there may be some moisture attached to the front as the leftovers from Hilary may add some moisture to the front and again a little lift with the front may produce some rain. Again the amounts if this happen will be light and more than likely scattered. No doubt heading into the fall season and this could end being a very dry early fall imo as I am not expecting to much in the way of tropical activity to influence the weather locally
I think the heat ridge is going to keep whatever is leftover from Hilary well north of our local area. Best chance will be across the northern tier of states / Great Lakes and S Canada / into perhaps New England. If we get back to our regular pattern (+PNA) then I agree with you on the tropics not helping much, if at all. Most systems off of Africa would get deflected near or just off the East Coast and get turned back out to sea. You would need something to slide underneath the trough thru the Caribbean and into the Gulf to have a chance. The heat ridge right now has the Gulf closed for business so the potential Gulf wave we are watching attm, will likely head due West into S TX or N Mexico.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Sitting at 89 with heat index of 96 at the airport. The winds will become more of a north to northeast over the next 24 hours or so. That may help just a bit if we get a little breeze and maybe knock the temp down a degree or two and the humidity just a hair on Tuesday. Then we are back in the frying pan until late Friday/early Saturday. Again with such a tame summer this heat just seems worse than normal but nothing unheard of by any means
dce
EF5 Tornado

Post by dce »

Chanute Kansas is currently sitting at 97 degrees with a dewpoint of 82 for a heat index of 121. And it's only at the noon hour there.
Doug

Huber Heights
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

dce wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:30 pm Chanute Kansas is currently sitting at 97 degrees with a dewpoint of 82 for a heat index of 121. And it's only at the noon hour there.
That sounds horrible. Some of that will try and move this way Wed-Fri. We will see nothing like that since we are on the eastern end of the ridge. I would not even throw a possible shower especially in the eastern sections of the area this week.Have one of the biggest ring of fires I have seen in a long time and we are close enough to see maybe a shower but some clouds are possible which does help a little.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:44 am It is AWFUL outside right now. just put the sprinkler on the front lawn and I am sweating like crazy already! I'll be staying in the A/C mostly this week. :lol: I had enough sun and heat yesterday attending Cooper's and then Colton's first football games of the regular season. :) Cooper is QB and plays defense on his team and Colton plays on the defense usually as a lineman but will occasionally be on offensive as well.
Maybe someday Colton will play with the Colts! :thumbupright: 8-)
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

dce wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:30 pm Chanute Kansas is currently sitting at 97 degrees with a dewpoint of 82 for a heat index of 121. And it's only at the noon hour there.
Yesterday I saw an observation out of Lawrence, KS. Temp was 102 with a dewpoint of 84. Heat Index was a ridiculous 134! :o
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

MVWxObserver wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:55 pm
tron777 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:44 am It is AWFUL outside right now. just put the sprinkler on the front lawn and I am sweating like crazy already! I'll be staying in the A/C mostly this week. :lol: I had enough sun and heat yesterday attending Cooper's and then Colton's first football games of the regular season. :) Cooper is QB and plays defense on his team and Colton plays on the defense usually as a lineman but will occasionally be on offensive as well.
Maybe someday Colton will play with the Colts! :thumbupright: 8-)
LOL! Or Cooper. ;)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

90 as of 2pm at CVG....
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

dce
EF5 Tornado

Post by dce »

tron777 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:04 pm
Yesterday I saw an observation out of Lawrence, KS. Temp was 102 with a dewpoint of 84. Heat Index was a ridiculous 134! :o
Really though, that's amazing. That's Death Valley style heat. Yeah, Death Valley might hit a temperature of 130, but the dewpoint is so low that the heat index is probably no where near 130.
Doug

Huber Heights
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

dce wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 2:45 pm
Really though, that's amazing. That's Death Valley style heat. Yeah, Death Valley might hit a temperature of 130, but the dewpoint is so low that the heat index is probably no where near 130.
Great Point Doug and yes 134 is 134 but the feel like temp with a dew point of 10 is going to make it feel cooler. The temp of 102 with dew of 84 is something I have ideal how that would feel on the body.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

The wind has turned to the northeast and that should help over the next 24 hours of so. Tuesday may be the 89 degree around here and really folks towards Columbus may be in the mid 80's or so.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

91 / 72 / 99 as of 3pm at CVG. Thurs looks to the hottest day with Friday coming in 2nd. Our best shot at the mid 90s will be on those two days. Otherwise the low 90s looks good to me minus tomorrow. Tim is right. I think 90 is very doable still at CVG. I won't complain if we get 89'ed that is for sure. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

IMG_0541.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Hey Doug,

When my Mom was 7 yrs old, she, her parents, 2 sisters, brother, and an aunt all went together in the summer of 1947 from Owensville, IN on a trip to Los Angeles in a Model T type car to see some relatives and one of their stops was Death Valley e.g. :)
That was some of their Good Old Days. ;)
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Tue Aug 22, 2023 12:17 am, edited 3 times in total.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

CVG reached 94, DAY 91 and CMH 92 today.

Currently 86 here in G'ville with a DP of 73. :sunny:
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Tue Aug 22, 2023 8:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
dce
EF5 Tornado

Post by dce »

MVWxObserver wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 4:56 pm
Hey Doug,

When my Mom was 7 yrs old, she, her parents, 2 sisters, brother, and an aunt all went together in the summer of 1947 from Owensville, IN on a trip to Los Angeles in a Model T type car to see some relatives and one of their stops was Death Valley e.g. :)
Well, Chanute maxed out at a heat index of 125 today :extinguish: Not 134, but still!
Doug

Huber Heights
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Morning and I have been off by a degree the last two days. Still believe we stay below 90 today. Matter of fact we have a little summer breeze which may help some plus one of my favorite songs of all time. Wed-Fri going to be hot and do we get above 94. Louisville and Indy should have no problems and would not surprise me to see Louisville get near 100 on Thursday or Friday. So enjoy today lol as we get true summer the next 3 days and then a nice cool down towards normal of slightly below.