June 2023 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Re: June 2023 Weather Discussion

Post by Bgoney »

I don’t know, pretty much as expected. Isolated showers for most of us. Our domes are laughing at this weak kneed MCS. Not a drop here. It outran its dynamics/shear
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Wow! It weakened just as the HRRR says. Trace that is it here. :lol: We're done for now.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Currently

IMG_0405.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

5 drops for me - I counted them. :lol:
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

The above map tells the story folks. Want to see a repat of that on Sat please. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Going to fire up the smoker tomorrow and do my annual pork butt for the party. :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Sargent51
Rain Shower

Post by Sargent51 »

Big winds in our neighborhood in Morrow. Lots of branches down and some minor damage. Some Bradford pears didn’t fair well. Picked up about .21 of rainfall.
Morrow/Maineville
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Not surprisingly has been dry here, too, in Darke Co today.

I have some cousins e.g. scattered in southwest IN (Gibson, Posey, and Vanderburgh counties) and prayerfully they've fared okay today via the action.

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/reports/today.gif
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Next one in western Nebraska.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
BCW
Rain Shower

Post by BCW »

Are we picking up the tail end of the derecho right now?
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

BCW wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:48 pm Are we picking up the tail end of the derecho right now?
Good Morning and saw this post early Friday morning. Always a fine line between a derecho and just a strong complex of storms. I believe this one was not quite strong enough to be considered a derecho but that does not mean you don't get strong winds and heavy rains. Either way it was the tail end of that complex.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Morning and a nice rainfall overnight and since Thursday morning 0.55 inches. Very helpful rainfall has it happened at night and much of it will soak into the ground which sometimes in the summer you get those late day thunderstorms but the sun comes out afterwards so you don't get the soaking in of the rainfall.

Looks like we are still going to be busy with the current complex leaving the Ohio Valley but another one out in the central plains that will track east ward today and get in here probably after dark tonight. Over the weekend mores complexes look to take shape so we will just need to watch the timing of these and hopefully after midnight each day would be nice but again just need to see how these progress.

Heading into next week and still some chances of rain Monday and early Tuesday and then more of a normal pattern for the remainder of the week. Then the models are showing an elongated trough stretching from the Rockies to the Apps. A pattern that is not that common in the summer. What this does though is give us a better shot of more rainfall in the 2nd and 3rd weeks of July and this always keeps in long term heat away.
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Isolated shower overnight, .20” better than nothing. Yesterdays outcome from mcs shows how quickly it petered out near our area. No changes in forecast, when we have the better shear 35+ knots, over us we’ll have more widespread rains , when we don’t, isolated storms possible

IMG_0406.jpeg
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Bgoney wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 7:30 am Isolated shower overnight, .20” better than nothing. Yesterdays outcome from mcs shows how quickly it petered out near our area. No changes in forecast, when we have the better shear 35+ knots, over us we’ll have more widespread rains , when we don’t, isolated storms possible

IMG_0406.jpeg
Timing so key and I will give another aspect and that is with the heavy rain. We got the rain mainly between midnight and 3am and many folks got about 1/2 inch. Lexington on the other hand got their rainfall in the 3-7a period and over 2 inches of rain. I always mentioned that the 4a-9a and 4p-9pm in the summer is when you can hit it big with rainfall. I hope the overnight Friday and Saturday morning comes in a few hours later. No it does mean we get 2 inches of rainfall but the odds are higher that we get a bit more if it comes in that time period
Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

tpweather wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:04 am
BCW wrote: Thu Jun 29, 2023 9:48 pm Are we picking up the tail end of the derecho right now?
Good Morning and saw this post early Friday morning. Always a fine line between a derecho and just a strong complex of storms. I believe this one was not quite strong enough to be considered a derecho but that does not mean you don't get strong winds and heavy rains. Either way it was the tail end of that complex.
It actually was indeed a derecho based on the track length and the abundance of especially significant wind reports.
Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Trevor wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:23 am
tpweather wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 6:04 am
It actually was indeed a derecho based on the track length and the abundance of especially significant wind reports.
I was not sure and glad you have the correct info. I know they had some strong winds in Illinois and was looking for a report from some of the Illinois nws office but could not find any wording about it being a drecho though they mentioned high winds and heavy rains.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Trevor, I know Decrecho's are rare but do they have any kind of rating like we see with tornado's?
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good morning all! I picked up a whopping 0.81" overnight! It was loud!! Got the smoker going right now. :) Okay, so on to the forecast with U80s to near 90 possible the next couplie of days. We should remain mostly dry today with only a slight chance at an afternoon storm.

EDIT: CVG picked up 0.68"
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:56 am Good morning all! I picked up a whopping 0.81" overnight! It was loud!! Got the smoker going right now. :) Okay, so on to the forecast with U80s to near 90 possible the next couplie of days. We should remain mostly dry today with only a slight chance at an afternoon storm.

Hey Les. Watching the action in the central plains and this complex is already further east than the models predicted. Will watch that for this evening as I have several of the guys coming over and we will be on back patio. Even if they fall apart maybe we can get some of the cool breeze that you get with a dying thundershower or storm.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:19 am
tron777 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:56 am Good morning all! I picked up a whopping 0.81" overnight! It was loud!! Got the smoker going right now. :) Okay, so on to the forecast with U80s to near 90 possible the next couplie of days. We should remain mostly dry today with only a slight chance at an afternoon storm.

Hey Les. Watching the action in the central plains and this complex is already further east than the models predicted. Will watch that for this evening as I have several of the guys coming over and we will be on back patio. Even if they fall apart maybe we can get some of the cool breeze that you get with a dying thundershower or storm.
Cold beer, a nice bon fire, good people, and a nice breeze... sounds awesome!!! :thumbsup:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

tron777 wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:44 am
tpweather wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 11:19 am

Cold beer, a nice bon fire, good people, and a nice breeze... sounds awesome!!! :thumbsup:
Yep, we're planning to get together in my back yard for a bon fire with some coldies also. Hoping the rain (if any) can hold till later! :)
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Awesome Joe! Hoping for the same tomorrow as well for my party!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

tpweather wrote: Fri Jun 30, 2023 9:29 am Trevor, I know Decrecho's are rare but do they have any kind of rating like we see with tornado's?
No rating system for them; they either meet the criteria or they don’t. More notable derechos (high impact, damage costs, etc) do get remembered and some even get nicknames.
Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

A steamy 85 here currently. Better shear of 50-60 nots is over Iowa and ILL. Shear is 30 knots over us so the MS over ILL that has weakened since it has left the better shear will continue to do so. We'll have to see if any outflow boundaries from it, can spark some scattered isolated storms later.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

dce
EF5 Tornado

Post by dce »

Currently 101 degrees with a dewpoint of 75 creating a heat index of 115 at Paducah. That is some serious heat considering how cool this summer has been so far. A ton of fuel for the next MCS that comes through Indiana and Kentucky!
Doug

Huber Heights