1/6/22 - Possible First Snow of the Season for Some

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: 1/6/22 - Possible First Snow of the Season for Some

Post by tron777 »

Brwncntysnwdog wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:27 pm 49D2F8AD-2064-4881-89D0-07F1B4F50105.jpeg

Brother in law sent this from Washington County Kentucky, slightly SW of Lexington.
Hey Shane! I hope I spelled your name right. I forgot if there was a Y in it or not. :lol: Anyway... glad you are here and hopefully, we can get something like that here later this month.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

BookNerdCarp wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:57 pm From my doorbell cam
You'll get an inch or so out of the deal. Was hoping you'd have enough to cover the grass, but better then a zero®
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

BookNerdCarp
EF0 Tornado

Post by BookNerdCarp »

tron777 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:49 pm
You'll get an inch or so out of the deal. Was hoping you'd have enough to cover the grass, but better then a zero®
I think it's enough for a day off tomorrow ;-) :lol:
CINCINNATI01
Rain Shower

Post by CINCINNATI01 »

tron777 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:47 pm
CINCINNATI01 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:24 pm It hurts we missed out on this one but it really hurts that the next system is rain😔
Welcome to our forum! :)
Thanks I appreciate all the updates you guys nailed this
Pete1
Heavy Rain

Post by Pete1 »

Boone county schools on remote learning tomorrow because of less than a half inch of snow... that just ridiculous!!
Burlington, KY
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Pete1 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:47 pm Boone county schools on remote learning tomorrow because of less than a half inch of snow... that just ridiculous!!
We wouldn't have been closed when I went to school here in the Boone Co school system. Perhaps an hour delay maybe. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

CINCINNATI01 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:25 pm
tron777 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:47 pm
CINCINNATI01 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 4:24 pm It hurts we missed out on this one but it really hurts that the next system is rain😔
Welcome to our forum! :)
Thanks I appreciate all the updates you guys nailed this
We appreciate the kind words! :) Stick around. Yeah... rain this weekend, but I like the longer term overall pattern. We should have other chances over the next few weeks. We usually track the overall pattern in the monthly threads then if something interesting comes along within 3-5 days, we'll start a separate thread for the event.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

BookNerdCarp wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:07 pm
tron777 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 5:49 pm
I think it's enough for a day off tomorrow ;-) :lol:
Awesome! Sleep in my friend. You deserve it. :thumbsup:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

CVG received 0.05" QPF for the event it appears. 0.6" as of 5pm but I am sure it'll be updated tonight for a touch more.

Radar shows the back edge headed for Matt's hood and should exit all of our forum coverage area in the next 1-2 hours.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

dce wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:43 am I'm in Sidney today. I'm a little surprised to see very light flakes flying up here considering the dry air.
Hey Doug,

Had a few flurries here in Greenville mid to late afternoon, too.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Reports into ILN include:

FGX - 2"
Maysville, KY - 1.2"
Georgetown in Brown Co - 1"
LUK - 0.5"
CVG - 0.6"

Other totals:

LOU 1-3"
Central KY E-town over to Lexington 5-8"
Widespread 4-8" over Eastern KY.

9" at Harrodsburg and Bardstown, KY winners so far I could find.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Pete1
Heavy Rain

Post by Pete1 »

tron777 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:54 pm
Pete1 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:47 pm Boone county schools on remote learning tomorrow because of less than a half inch of snow... that just ridiculous!!
We wouldn't have been closed when I went to school here in the Boone Co school system. Perhaps an hour delay maybe. :lol:
Same here, Les. And if kids are getting a snow day they shouldn’t have remote learning classes they have to attend. Some of my best memories of my childhood were snow days and school being canceled. Kids today should at least get to be kids on a snow day.
Burlington, KY
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Pete1 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:16 pm
Same here, Les. And if kids are getting a snow day they shouldn’t have remote learning classes they have to attend. Some of my best memories of my childhood were snow days and school being canceled. Kids today should at least get to be kids on a snow day.
Even though this was not the sled riding or snow man making snow... and we got very little :lol: I am with you. It's the whole experience. I remember Jan of 85. We missed 20 school days that month due to cold and snow. Was awesome! so much sled riding and snow ball making. Built an igloo too! The last pile of snow from it melted near my birthday in early May. :) Also loved 94 and 96. In 94 we were closed down for a week. Partied hard, went thru the drive thru to get burgers in a snow mobile. Rode it right down KY 18! Had a great time! I miss it. The last big one, March of 08 I was at my Brother's old house in the country before he moved to Milford. Wish I would have been home to plow for that one. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

I'll always remember the winter of '84-'85 i.e. as Jan '85 my maternal great grandmother passed away in Anderson, IN and due to the extreme cold, her home church that hosted the funeral dinner had canceled worship services that day. After the dinner we went to the late afternoon funeral. We were so thankful that we weren't expected at great Grandma's graveside service the next day in Kalamazoo, MI. We had lived in Hamilton, OH at the time.

I remember that arctic cold as it was almost convulsive if one stood outside too long.
Pete1
Heavy Rain

Post by Pete1 »

tron777 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:24 pm
Even though this was not the sled riding or snow man making snow... and we got very little :lol: I am with you. It's the whole experience. I remember Jan of 85. We missed 20 school days that month due to cold and snow. Was awesome! so much sled riding and snow ball making. Built an igloo too! The last pile of snow from it melted near my birthday in early May. :) Also loved 94 and 96. In 94 we were closed down for a week. Partied hard, went thru the drive thru to get burgers in a snow mobile. Rode it right down KY 18! Had a great time! I miss it. The last big one, March of 08 I was at my Brother's old house in the country before he moved to Milford. Wish I would have been home to plow for that one. :lol:
Such awesome memories right there, Les!!! I have my fair share of those type of memories too. Our winters just aren’t the same today as we had as kids. Kids today won’t have those winter wonderland memories. Damn shame!!
Burlington, KY
BookNerdCarp
EF0 Tornado

Post by BookNerdCarp »

As a teacher, there is no way a snow day should be remote learning. Snow days are a gift...not torture!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Pete1 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:52 pm
tron777 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 7:24 pm
Such awesome memories right there, Les!!! I have my fair share of those type of memories too. Our winters just aren’t the same today as we had as kids. Kids today won’t have those winter wonderland memories. Damn shame!!
They will happen one day again. It's all in cycles. See Jan 2022 thread. Liking the extended range to keep the cold and storms a coming. What form they take, obv remains in doubt. January's got some tricks up its sleeve. :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Those school days of esp non-computerized were truly the golden oldies!! :) Was always fun to tune into WMOH, WLW, WKRC i.e. to hear whether you were on Plan B or Closed status. :thumbupright: I graduated H.S. in 1982. :)
cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Mom in Huntington reports 7”!! Accidents and road closures everywhere down that way.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

BookNerdCarp
EF0 Tornado

Post by BookNerdCarp »

Ended up with grass and road completely covered. Didn't measure but I'd say and inch or a little bit more. We are closed tomorrow as expected.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Most schools are closed here as well. Travel to the south is still slow so if anyone is heading to Lexington or points south, pack some patience this morning. Looks like CVG finished up with 0.7" DAY with a Trace and 0.3" at CMH.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MJSun
Thunder Storm

Post by MJSun »

Boys have snow day (no remote)... They were so surprised. :)
Mollie
Cincinnati: Batavia/Amelia (H), Norwood (W)

The extent of my weather knowledge is pointing at the sky and saying what color it is.

:bouncymulti:
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Awesome MJ! Most of the schools are closed around here today.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Yeah I'd say a trace is about what I got. It's all gone now LOL
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

young pup
EF4 Tornado

Post by young pup »

Got a maybe a little over a quarter of an inch. Just enough for the Columbus drivers to lose their minds. :)