January 18-19th Accumulating Snow Threat

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
snowbo
EF0 Tornado

Re: January 18-19th Accumulating Snow Threat

Post by snowbo »

The column was saturated around noon and has been snowing ever since. Have a dusting so far. The flakes are small and dry.
Brookville, Ohio
Northwest Montgomery county
I70 Corridor
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

airwolf76 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:38 pm
tron777 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:12 am
winterstormjoe wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 11:03 am I'll be nowcasting for sure, with the radar and the short term models come this evening to see if an overachiever is actually in the works. Looks to be a tired day at work tomorrow! ;) lol
At least it's Friday tomorrow! :)
If the trends today are correct.... it maybe a tough drive into the office for me tomorrow.
you should take a pto day tomorrow
Don't tempt me, Charles! :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Mhfight wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:42 pm Apologies if this has been covered - what is the thought on timing? What’s your idea/best guess on a start time?
I think the better snows come in later on tonight into tomorrow morning. The Fri AM commute will be impacted in my opinion.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Thank you all for the obs and reports! Keep 'em coming when you can! :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Mhfight
Rain Shower

Post by Mhfight »

tron777 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:50 pm
Mhfight wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:42 pm Apologies if this has been covered - what is the thought on timing? What’s your idea/best guess on a start time?
I think the better snows come in later on tonight into tomorrow morning. The Fri AM commute will be impacted in my opinion.
Thanks Les - I have a new driver working until 9 - I think he should be okay, but always like checking.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Mhfight wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:55 pm
tron777 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:50 pm
Thanks Les - I have a new driver working until 9 - I think he should be okay, but always like checking.
Not a problem!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Mfitz730
Rain Shower

Post by Mfitz730 »

Just had a brief burst of snow at the shop here in Greendale, IN. Stopped just as quick as it started!
stormygirl
Rain Shower

Post by stormygirl »

Chris Bailey's opinion of NWS Wilmington 😂
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Mfitz730 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:58 pm Just had a brief burst of snow at the shop here in Greendale, IN. Stopped just as quick as it started!
You should have lit one off... seed those clouds! :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

stormygirl wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:03 pm Chris Bailey's opinion of NWS Wilmington 😂
Classic CB! Gotta love it. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

snowlover
Rain Shower

Post by snowlover »

Seeing some flurries now in Maineville
Curtis
Maineville, OH

Fan of all frozen precipitation!!!
mainevilleweather
Thunder Storm

Post by mainevilleweather »

12z euro showing that dry slot again.
dce
EF5 Tornado

Post by dce »

A nice run from the 12z Euro. 10:1 ratio.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doug

Huber Heights
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

12Z Euro tries to get the dry slot into some of our extreme SW counties. Not quite as nice as the other 12Z models today. QPF is below.

CVG - 0.15"
HAO - 0.16"
MGY - 0.19"
DAY - 0.20"
CMH - 0.26"
FGX - 0.21"
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Mfitz730
Rain Shower

Post by Mfitz730 »

tron777 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:08 pm
Mfitz730 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 12:58 pm Just had a brief burst of snow at the shop here in Greendale, IN. Stopped just as quick as it started!
You should have lit one off... seed those clouds! :lol:
Haha, we thought about it!
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Afternoon and finally back to a hobby I enjoy. Trying to look over things and the different advisories and no doubt I believe the NWS locally should have us in an advisory. Not because we get tons of snow but even 1 inch with the cold ground temps can cause problems. If we came out of a warm spell where the roads are well above 32 then I can understand but the road temps are cold.. My guess they will upgrade later today. To me it looks like a good call of 1-3 inches with higher amounts to the east. Again much of this snow will be at a higher ratio and probably 12-1 and rising to 15-1. I believe today's virga helps in getting the atmosphere somewhat moist. Where are the most likely busts and probably east of here as two systems try to phase and if they do quicker than advertised I could see 4-6 well east of here in southeast Ohio and northeast Ky. Another cold weekend for sure before the January Thaw begins starting probably Tuesday.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Hey Tim... that seems like a good run down to me. That has been my call. 1" south to 3" north but it maybe better to tailor that range from west to east based on todays trends, which you have done in your post. Certainly advisory worthy for the entire forecast area. If the GFS is right, you're flirting with warning criteria in some areas but I of course won't be forecasting that. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

weatherbeast45107
Rain Shower

Post by weatherbeast45107 »

Flurries starting to find their way to the ground in Wilmington!
:smurf: Between Blanchester and Morrow in south east Warren County :chillpill:
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:24 pm Hey Tim... that seems like a good run down to me. That has been my call. 1" south to 3" north but it maybe better to tailor that range from west to east based on todays trends, which you have done in your post. Certainly advisory worthy for the entire forecast area. If the GFS is right, you're flirting with warning criteria in some areas but I of course won't be forecasting that. :lol:
Hey Les and glad to be back on the forum. For us weather lovers and having no information to go on was killing me lol. Lets hope we get lucky this time and able to out some snow on the ground and if so most likely below zero early Sunday morning. Will be interesting to see the quick return of moisture early next week and it always worries me somewhat when this happens quickly after a nice long cold snap. Sure temps well above can climb nicely but at the surface with snow on the ground and mid-January not always easy to get those ground temps to rebound as quick. Still to early but lets see how quick the moisture returns and if slower then we may be fine but a quicker return then ice does come into play.
cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Light snow here as well. Temp at 26.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

EU hanging in that .15”-.25” range for most of region
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:32 pm
tron777 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:24 pm Hey Tim... that seems like a good run down to me. That has been my call. 1" south to 3" north but it maybe better to tailor that range from west to east based on todays trends, which you have done in your post. Certainly advisory worthy for the entire forecast area. If the GFS is right, you're flirting with warning criteria in some areas but I of course won't be forecasting that. :lol:
Hey Les and glad to be back on the forum. For us weather lovers and having no information to go on was killing me lol. Lets hope we get lucky this time and able to out some snow on the ground and if so most likely below zero early Sunday morning. Will be interesting to see the quick return of moisture early next week and it always worries me somewhat when this happens quickly after a nice long cold snap. Sure temps well above can climb nicely but at the surface with snow on the ground and mid-January not always easy to get those ground temps to rebound as quick. Still to early but lets see how quick the moisture returns and if slower then we may be fine but a quicker return then ice does come into play.
I'd love to see the grass covered. Hasn't happened yet all winter for many of us.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

CVG was up to 29 dew of 8 as of the 1pm reading. Still nothing here in Mason that I can see unless the flakes are so small I can't see them. Stinks getting older... :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Closet Meteorologist
Rain Shower

Post by Closet Meteorologist »

IMG_2998.jpeg
This is cruel.
rhodesman88
Rain Shower

Post by rhodesman88 »

tron777 wrote: Thu Jan 18, 2024 1:45 pm CVG was up to 29 dew of 8 as of the 1pm reading. Still nothing here in Mason that I can see unless the flakes are so small I can't see them. Stinks getting older... :lol:
I was out and about the past 90 minutes and there were vey light flakes falling off and on.