March 2024 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tpweather
Hurricane

Re: March 2024 Weather Discussion

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Sat Mar 09, 2024 9:03 am Only 0.51" at CVG for the event total. Pretty underwhelming. The track was too far east and the system moved faster then expected. Still seeing some drizzle though. We'll see a few flakes perhaps tonight into tomorrow. Then we warm up and look good thru Thursday then we get our next system to deal with. Not sure about strong storms yet on Friday since the frontal zone timing is not set in stone this far away.
Hey Les you are correct and the really heavy rain was further south along the gulf coast and with training no way we could get the influx of heavier rains. This winter for the most part has seen systems stay further south and east and the one earlier in the week I thought we may have broke out of that pattern but El Nino continues to influence the pattern. Good thing is we are getting some rainfall and if we can just get the average amounts each month I will be happy. Summer is so hard to predict and I know some reports of La Nina building in quickly but we still have a nice El Nino that seems to stay around longer than models showed.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Today is the last day for early model data until November. Starting tomorrow, the models will be back on DST so they will be coming in an hour later as a result. :(
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

.60” here
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

I saw some places in southeast Indiana got between 1.5 and 2.5 inches. I never thought to much about this morning as my total around .75
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Tomorrow morning a cousin of mine and his Dad are going to be baptized outside after a church service in Arcanum, OH. :) A high near 40 and windy conditions, it'll be my first "Polar Bear Club" baptism service to witness! ;)

Currently 41 and progged for around 28 on Sun morning.
dce
EF5 Tornado

Post by dce »

1.1 inches for the event in my rain gauge. Our area has faired pretty well over there last two events. 3.85 inches altogether.
Doug

Huber Heights
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

CVG reached 56, DAY 57 and CMH 55 on Sat.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

34 currently at CVG with winds out of the NW gusting to 31. We could see a few gusts over 40 this afternoon. Then, let the warm up begin next week. Rain by Thurs albeit light, with Friday being the wettest day of the week. Lingering action into next Sat as temps drop back down towards normal again in the 50s.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

12Z Euro brings in 1-2" of rain thanks to T-storms Thurs and Fri of this upcoming week. Then a winter storm on the 19th. :lol:

CVG

Code: Select all

TUE 06Z 19-MAR   3.6    -4.8    1013      67      99    0.01     551     540    
TUE 12Z 19-MAR   0.3    -5.1    1010      89     100    0.13     545     537    
TUE 18Z 19-MAR   1.3    -6.1    1006      80     100    0.19     537     532    
WED 00Z 20-MAR   1.0    -7.8    1009      80      99    0.09     532     525    
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Afternoon and very chilly day with the wind. Hopefully we can continue to get systems in here every 4-6 days as we are over 20p/c above normal for the year. Still getting above normal rain in the winter is nice but having this during the spring and early summer is more important. Nice warm up this week though the longer term looks to keep winter sort of around which is nothing new for the second half of March around here.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Sun Mar 10, 2024 3:33 pm 12Z Euro brings in 1-2" of rain thanks to T-storms Thurs and Fri of this upcoming week. Then a winter storm on the 19th. :lol:

CVG

Code: Select all

TUE 06Z 19-MAR   3.6    -4.8    1013      67      99    0.01     551     540    
TUE 12Z 19-MAR   0.3    -5.1    1010      89     100    0.13     545     537    
TUE 18Z 19-MAR   1.3    -6.1    1006      80     100    0.19     537     532    
WED 00Z 20-MAR   1.0    -7.8    1009      80      99    0.09     532     525    
Right in time for Ohio's Primary. ;) :lol:
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

CVG got to 45, DAY 43 and CMH 39 today.
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good Monday morning all! A chilly 27 degrees at CVG to start our new work / school week. A nice afternoon upcoming in the 50s with plenty of sunshine. More sunshine thru Wed with temps warming towards 70 by then. In the 70s Thurs with a shower / t-storm chance which ramps up by Friday. The weekend currently looks 50 / 50. Sat is dry but we may get our next system in by Sunday. We'll have to keep an eye on the timing with that one.

We slowly get into a cooler pattern after that. It really looks chilly post 3/20. I still cannot rule out some light snow also before the month ends.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Tried several times to get some yard work done yesterday but never lasted very long , that wind chill/wind was brutal
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 5:47 am Tried several times to get some yard work done yesterday but never lasted very long , that wind chill/wind was brutal
I was wanting to do some also, but I bailed for those exact reasons. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

For our upcoming well advertised cool down in about a week or so , the EPS/EU have slowly trended not quite as cold as earlier runs .
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:05 am For our upcoming well advertised cool down in about a week or so , the EPS/EU have slowly trended not quite as cold as earlier runs .
I'll be mowing in the next week or two if we don't get some cooler temps to slow things down. It's been quite a few years since spring has shown up so early.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

24 currently at CVG. That looks to be our low for the day.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tron777 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:35 am
Bgoney wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 6:05 am For our upcoming well advertised cool down in about a week or so , the EPS/EU have slowly trended not quite as cold as earlier runs .
I'll be mowing in the next week or two if we don't get some cooler temps to slow things down. It's been quite a few years since spring has shown up so early.
It’ll help slow it down, a tiny bit but the process has begun since the last 10 days of Feb. and that’s that . A good 2 weeks ahead and close to 3 in spots

IMG_1548.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

My Marine cousin who is a recruiter and his Dad were baptized early yesterday afternoon in a farm animal-drinking trough ? outside of a church in Arcanum, OH. :) Was different as I've witnessed people getting baptized over the years but it was a first for an outdoor ceremony like that. :)

Please keep my cousin Logan in prayer as he'll be moving to CA this Thurs for his last 2 1/2 years of military service before he retires and his Kindergarten-aged daughter Khloe looks forward to reuniting with her Daddy out there. :usa: :waveusa:

Currently 28 here in G'ville and progged for around 55 today. :sunny:
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Morning and the grass is getting quite green and growing so yes many folks will mow over the next week just to sort of shape it up but of course the ground this time of year is variable so lots of uneven spots. I would like to see things slow down as well in terms of temps and love to see the busy weather continue. One worry about and early spring is the northern plains and upper mid-west still have very little snow on the ground so that helps many years in slowing the process down plus with a heavier snow cover we can have cold shots from Canada make their way further south. No doubt next week some colder air but how modified will the cold be and again later in March cold shots will only last a few days.

Have not seen any leaves yet but my guess is this week that will change with the nice warm up.

Concerning rainfall this week and does look like a system late in the week but at the moment looks like half inch or less with heavier rains in the south central and southeast states. That is good news especially in the south central states as they have missed out somewhat during the winter but of course the southeast continues the rain parade
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:11 am
It’ll help slow it down, a tiny bit but the process has begun since the last 10 days of Feb. and that’s that . A good 2 weeks ahead and close to 3 in spots

IMG_1548.png
Definitely thinking 2-3 weeks ahead of schedule for sure IMBY. Could be early morel mushroom hunting this year too. Normally April is prime time and some years very early in May, but I am already seeing reports of a few folks finding them in SKY near the TN border. This is extremely early!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:37 am Good Morning and the grass is getting quite green and growing so yes many folks will mow over the next week just to sort of shape it up but of course the ground this time of year is variable so lots of uneven spots. I would like to see things slow down as well in terms of temps and love to see the busy weather continue. One worry about and early spring is the northern plains and upper mid-west still have very little snow on the ground so that helps many years in slowing the process down plus with a heavier snow cover we can have cold shots from Canada make their way further south. No doubt next week some colder air but how modified will the cold be and again later in March cold shots will only last a few days.

Have not seen any leaves yet but my guess is this week that will change with the nice warm up.

Concerning rainfall this week and does look like a system late in the week but at the moment looks like half inch or less with heavier rains in the south central and southeast states. That is good news especially in the south central states as they have missed out somewhat during the winter but of course the southeast continues the rain parade
I'm wondering how the severe season will be impacted this year due to the lack of cold air. A developing La Nina could help but we'll have to wait and see. We need a good surplus of rain if we get a hot and dry summer which is also a characteristic of a La Nina summer.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:50 am

IMG_1548.png
Definitely thinking 2-3 weeks ahead of schedule for sure IMBY. Could be early morel mushroom hunting this year too. Normally April is prime time and some years very early in May, but I am already seeing reports of a few folks finding them in SKY near the TN border. This is extremely early!
Mushrooms and yes we know there is some that can give you quite the high. The mushrooms that many rock groups and counter culture did back then was to give you a high like LSD. I never tried mushrooms but LSD and PCP were very popular back then which turn the mid-70's into sort of a blur for me. Lucky I realized that could not continue and was done with that before I graduated.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:59 am
tron777 wrote: Mon Mar 11, 2024 8:50 am

IMG_1548.png
Mushrooms and yes we know there is some that can give you quite the high. The mushrooms that many rock groups and counter culture did back then was to give you a high like LSD. I never tried mushrooms but LSD and PCP were very popular back then which turn the mid-70's into sort of a blur for me. Lucky I realized that could not continue and was done with that before I graduated.
LOL! You definitely need to do your homework so you harvest and eat the right kind. :lol: Morel's are tough to find and are extremely expensive in a store as a result,. They are very tough to grow. I've tried!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page