December 2023 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
Trevor
Site Admin

Re: December 2023 Weather Discussion

Post by Trevor »

12z Euro is slower and offers up a new solution. The primary low remains weaker as it heads into MI. Then another surface low pops to our south and rapidly deepens as it move northeast. Monster storm as it deepens as it pulls away from us and heads into the Northeast. Slightly earlier phase and this would bury us in snow. Interesting run!
Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Trevor wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:57 pm 12z Euro is slower and offers up a new solution. The primary low remains weaker as it heads into MI. Then another surface low pops to our south and rapidly deepens as it move northeast. Monster storm as it deepens as it pulls away from us and heads into the Northeast. Slightly earlier phase and this would bury us in snow. Interesting run!
Trev,the Euro keeps going back and forth on the speed though all 3 main models are slower today. No doubt the models are showing a strong system and at this point a decent rain followed by snow flurries/showers and much colder Sunday with very strong winds. Somebody in the mid-west looks to get hit rather hard and to early to pinpoint but nice to see something to follow later this week.
Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

tpweather wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 2:12 pm
Trevor wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 1:57 pm 12z Euro is slower and offers up a new solution. The primary low remains weaker as it heads into MI. Then another surface low pops to our south and rapidly deepens as it move northeast. Monster storm as it deepens as it pulls away from us and heads into the Northeast. Slightly earlier phase and this would bury us in snow. Interesting run!
Trev,the Euro keeps going back and forth on the speed though all 3 main models are slower today. No doubt the models are showing a strong system and at this point a decent rain followed by snow flurries/showers and much colder Sunday with very strong winds. Somebody in the mid-west looks to get hit rather hard and to early to pinpoint but nice to see something to follow later this week.
Correct, the Euro has been the least consistent. I weighted my forecast update on my page today heavily on the GFS.
Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

If the trough goes negative tilt this will be a slower moving storm and that secondary low idea would make sense.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Seems to me the system later this week wants to dig further south in the southern plains. Interesting and of course need a few more days to watch this unfold. Again we are getting another spoke of arctic air like we have seen this fall and they can provide some quick cold air but rather narrow. If this storm continues to get stronger with the models then it will bring in some colder air but will it get here before the precip shuts off. The most exciting thing since last year before Christmas lol
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Definitely Tim! Sad but true lol
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Holy cow!!! Just had a big lightning bolt and thunder while I'm outside grilling l!!

Wow! It just happened again!!!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Major hail too covering the ground wow!!!!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

What month is this??? I've never seen hail covering the ground in December before. Storm of the year for me. To hell with this weekend lol
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

kywthrluvr
Rain Shower

Post by kywthrluvr »

I thought it was just raining really hard. I was shocked to see everything covered with hail pellets!
Leslie
Florence, KY
markalot
Rain Shower

Post by markalot »

What the hail?

Thunder and everything!

- Mark in Oakbrook (Burlington KY)
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I'm no wuss! I grill in all kinds of weather! :lol: Mark's deck pic was the same thing that I saw IMBY.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Pete1
Heavy Rain

Post by Pete1 »

Les, I was driving on camp Ernest when that hail hit Wow!! That got scary real quick with the hills on camp Ernest.
Burlington, KY
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Pete1 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:55 pm Les, I was driving on camp Ernest when that hail hit Wow!! That got scary real quick with the hills on camp Ernest.
I bet Pete! Storm of the year since Christmas 2022 for our hoods! Incredible!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Pete1
Heavy Rain

Post by Pete1 »

tron777 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:58 pm
Pete1 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:55 pm Les, I was driving on camp Ernest when that hail hit Wow!! That got scary real quick with the hills on camp Ernest.
I bet Pete! Storm of the year since Christmas 2022 for our hoods! Incredible!
That was really incredible !!!
Burlington, KY
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I have a 17 second video from MBY on my phone but the file format is invalid so I can't put it on the forum. I hate technology sometimes. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:27 pm What month is this??? I've never seen hail covering the ground in December before. Storm of the year for me. To hell with this weekend lol
Lol, Les we talked about this last week where there was a stronger clipper like system that was due in here sometime between the 5th-7th. This was a true thunderstorm with lightning,thunder,hail and rain. No wind though at my house.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:12 pm
tron777 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 5:27 pm What month is this??? I've never seen hail covering the ground in December before. Storm of the year for me. To hell with this weekend lol
Lol, Les we talked about this last week where there was a stronger clipper like system that was due in here sometime between the 5th-7th. This was a true thunderstorm with lightning,thunder,hail and rain. No wind though at my house.
I just sent the video to you and Trev on your phones. Check it out! :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:12 pm
Les that is exactly what it sounded like at my house. I saw the radar ramp up northwest of us after 430pm or so and thought maybe a brief period of heavy rain but was not expecting the light and sound show along with hail
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:15 pm
tron777 wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 6:12 pm
Les that is exactly what it sounded like at my house. I saw the radar ramp up northwest of us after 430pm or so and thought maybe a brief period of heavy rain but was not expecting the light and sound show along with hail
It caught me by surprise since I was outside and not monitoring the weather as closely as I usually do.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

SPC Meso Page - Freezing level is Extremely Low! WOW!

fzlv_sf.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

About what size were the hailstones? :) The guys and gals at ILN would probably be interested, too. 8-)
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Got to 44 at CVG, DAY 41 and CMH 40 today.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

MVWxObserver wrote: Tue Dec 05, 2023 11:05 pm About what size were the hailstones? :) The guys and gals at ILN would probably be interested, too. 8-)
Pea sized, not very big just a lot of 'em! :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good morning all! The biggest take away that I saw from the overnight runs was that the GFS is progressive. The CMC and Euro still show the more phased, slower solution with a secondary low popping along / just East of the Apps that could give us a period of snow Sun night into Mon morning before ending. That is something to watch for snow lovers should the idea hold. Otherwise, expect rain, wind, and maybe even a few t-storms depending on the track and strength of the first low. We may see a weaker primary low into the Lakes and that makes sense with the secondary low idea. If we see a stronger primary low then the secondary low idea may not occur or if it does, it'll be too late for us. A lot of changes still to come from the modeling.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page