Rocktober 2023 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: Rocktober 2023 Weather Discussion

Post by tron777 »

Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

That Billy Joel song "The Piano Man" is one of my favorites with the Cheers signature song a close second. :)

Even though I'm a non drinker I still like those songs and enjoyed the Cheers episodes. :)

Currently 59 and progged to top out at around 70. :sunny:

:offtopic: Everyone keep in prayer and thought for the Israeli citizens and foreigners who are being savagely treated by some of the lowest bottom off the chart unhuman monsters ever existing on our planet!! The more of these ogres taken out in this war THE BETTER!! :twisted:

This could become the Armageddon battle mentioned in Revelation or may not ...stay tuned!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Low 60s out there with dews near 40. Should be able to crack 70 today. Upper 70s maybe 80 Thurs, upper 70s Fri then a bit of rain and cooler for the weekend.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Looking much better temp-wise for our second garage sale Thurs than our first one last weekend! :thumbupleft:
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Nothing really eye popping on the 12Z GFS. The pattern we are in by and large continues. No huge storm systems most of which are of the slow moving upper level variety and not much Gulf influence.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Re: El Nino, The 2023-2024 Winter, and You!

Post by tpweather »

Some cloud cover is keeping temps down just a hair today. 65 is the current temp but if the sun can come out a little more we can add a few degrees before sunset. I believe Thursday is the warmest day and 77-79 looks possible. Friday I believe enough clouds to keep temps down though by noon we may be 72-74 but then likely stay there as clouds increase. No doubt models have come down rain wise and most are in the .10-.20. Still believe before the weekend is over most folks in the 0.25-0.50. I saw Brian's videos and how we sort of get stuck in a grey cloudy with some showers all the way through Tuesday. I believe we may get out of that by late Monday but we have time to watch this over the next few days. Another system later next week and looks very similar with amounts in the 0.25-0.50 though I believe as we get into the second half of October the GOM will start to open up but will it be late next week or the last 10 days of October. Not sure yet and no doubt looks like a nice warm up starting around the 24th and that may be the time once we get another front to invade us and get a really nice rainfall.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

68 here today. Clouds killed my 70 call today. CVG also only hit 68.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

CVG reached 68 and both DAY / CMH 69'ed today.
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Hope you’re right Tim on the last 10 days , until then the 500mb is still holding the GOM at bay. These troughs are too far east/south and essentially cutting off a deep moisture return for the tenn/OVs of any stamina. Where oh where is the SEridge? My mind continues to be blown by its disappearance for much of 2023.
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Bgoney wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:09 pm Hope you’re right Tim on the last 10 days , until then the 500mb is still holding the GOM at bay. These troughs are too far east/south and essentially cutting off a deep moisture return for the tenn/OVs of any stamina. Where oh where is the SEridge? My mind continues to be blown by its disappearance for much of 2023.
No doubt this has been a wild year without the southeast ridge and one reason we had such a nice summer around here. Rarely saw the strong ridge that happens over the Tn Valley in the summer. Does play into the El Nino theme and that theme many times is wet in the southeast and a dry area just north of the heavier rain area. Lets hope this does change and though I love cold weather I would love it more if there are many chances for rain and snow. Cold and dry is even boring for me lol.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:21 pm
Bgoney wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:09 pm Hope you’re right Tim on the last 10 days , until then the 500mb is still holding the GOM at bay. These troughs are too far east/south and essentially cutting off a deep moisture return for the tenn/OVs of any stamina. Where oh where is the SEridge? My mind continues to be blown by its disappearance for much of 2023.
No doubt this has been a wild year without the southeast ridge and one reason we had such a nice summer around here. Rarely saw the strong ridge that happens over the Tn Valley in the summer. Does play into the El Nino theme and that theme many times is wet in the southeast and a dry area just north of the heavier rain area. Lets hope this does change and though I love cold weather I would love it more if there are many chances for rain and snow. Cold and dry is even boring for me lol.
Although at the same time, I wouldn't mind a polar jet dominated winter like 2013-2014. Smaller snows but they were frequent. As we all know, the chances of a big dog go way down unless the Gulf is open for business. So there are pros and cons to both patterns.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:33 pm
Although at the same time, I wouldn't mind a polar jet dominated winter like 2013-2014. Smaller snows but they were frequent. As we all know, the chances of a big dog go way down unless the Gulf is open for business. So there are pros and cons to both patterns.
Les if the weather we have this weekend was in Dec-Feb we could see a few inches of snow and blowing snow and temps in the 20's. That is a nice weekend in my books.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Wed Oct 11, 2023 6:42 pm
Les if the weather we have this weekend was in Dec-Feb we could see a few inches of snow and blowing snow and temps in the 20's. That is a nice weekend in my books.
No doubt Tim! I see the +PNA pattern persisting for a while too. I don't see things changing for the next couple of weeks at least.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

dce
EF5 Tornado

Post by dce »

Remember, we were oh so close to the big dog. Indianapolis received about 12 inches if I recall. That storm was berry close to being a big hit.
Doug

Huber Heights
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

----
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Had a nice downpour here in G'ville early this AM. :)

I don't have my rain gauge mounted yet here at our new house as it'll probably be a while. ;)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Thu Oct 12, 2023 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Even though not officially Indian Summer, it'll feel like it today. :) Not sure what exactly constitutes Indian Summer (I should probably know though), a certain timing after a first frost? :)
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Nothing here or at CVG from the warm frontal passage. I didn't expect to get anything either. :lol: Look for highs around 80 today and the upper 70s tomorrow. Most of the rain is an overnight into Sat morning affair. 50s are back this weekend! :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Morning and a milder one to start the day. Going with 77-79 for the high today. Friday we start to see the changes and though we will be dry during the day I expect those pesky high clouds to gather especially in the afternoon. Do expect to hit 72-74 by noon but the amount of clouds will determine if we go higher. I am going with the higher clouds and have us maxing out at 74 but if the clouds hold off no doubt we can get into the 77-79 range once again. Late Friday through the weekend looks more like fall and though not a ton of rain I still expect most folks getting the 0.25-0.50 before the weekend is over. Models yesterday cut back on totals back have increased a bit overnight especially the further north you live. Will see today if that trend continues. Yard looks wonderful and just a few leaves here and there but my guess with the gusty winds this weekend another round of leaf dropping will happen.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I mulched up another batch of leaves on Tuesday. I'm good until next week or whenever they get bad again.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Glad it rained early this morning and now quieter conditions as my folks' 2nd garage sale is underway until 4 PM. :)

Currently 54 here in G'ville and looking to top out at around 77. :sunny:
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

MVWxObserver wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:10 am Glad it rained early this morning and now quieter conditions as my folks' 2nd garage sale is underway until 4 PM. :)

Currently 52 here in G'ville and looking to top out at around 77. :sunny:
Looking like a nice day for it! Good luck Bro! Hope you guys sell everything that you need too.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:12 am
MVWxObserver wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:10 am Glad it rained early this morning and now quieter conditions as my folks' 2nd garage sale is underway until 4 PM. :)

Currently 52 here in G'ville and looking to top out at around 77. :sunny:
Looking like a nice day for it! Good luck Bro! Hope you guys sell everything that you need too.
Thank you very much Les! :)

My cousin Dennis's wife Teresa has truly been a Godsend, too, as she's very skilled in how much to price items e.g. :)

We had a very nice turnout and $$ result this past Sat and prayerfully can today also. :)

Through Teresa's help we've also sold some stuff via a site called Marketplace. :thumbupleft:

Its amazing how much one can amass over the years and given that my folks are in their early 80s. :)
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

tron777 wrote: Thu Oct 12, 2023 9:38 am
Les, I wonder why his video's disappears and then I can't find it again on YouTube or FB, does he delete them?