January 2022 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Re: January 2022 Weather Discussion

Post by cloudy72 »

Actually hit 23 here. No snowpack! :)
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

18z NAM coming back towards the GFS and Euro in rainfall....now spits out 0.69" later Sat Night / early Sunday for CVG.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Today back in 1996, CVG received a 24 hour snowfall of 11.6" This was the beginnings of the Blizzard of 96 that destroyed the Mid Atlantic and Portions of New England. I know Charles will remember that one! :) We got the upper level low that was supposed to transfer its energy to the EC Low but took forever to do so. A 1-2" forecast turned into a foot at CVG. More to the East. Sharp NW cut off. Nothing at KIND.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

fyrfyter
Thunder Storm

Post by fyrfyter »

tron777 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:40 pm Today back in 1996, CVG received a 24 hour snowfall of 11.6" This was the beginnings of the Blizzard of 96 that destroyed the Mid Atlantic and Portions of New England. I know Charles will remember that one! :) We got the upper level low that was supposed to transfer its energy to the EC Low but took forever to do so. A 1-2" forecast turned into a foot at CVG. More to the East. Sharp NW cut off. Nothing at KIND.
I remember this… it was epic… just kept spinning overhead with more and more snow…
~Aaron
Mack/Green Township, OH

My Current Conditions
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

fyrfyter wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 6:58 pm
tron777 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:40 pm Today back in 1996, CVG received a 24 hour snowfall of 11.6" This was the beginnings of the Blizzard of 96 that destroyed the Mid Atlantic and Portions of New England. I know Charles will remember that one! :) We got the upper level low that was supposed to transfer its energy to the EC Low but took forever to do so. A 1-2" forecast turned into a foot at CVG. More to the East. Sharp NW cut off. Nothing at KIND.
I remember this… it was epic… just kept spinning overhead with more and more snow…
bingo-cousin-eddie.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I am down to 11 now lol
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

18Z GFS looks interesting around the 18 / 19th, very cold after that too with more in the pipeline. Nice run! 18Z GEFS also cold and stormy. Potential is there on most long range models that I have seen. And it is consistent - A very strong signal for something(s) We've got a rain maker and some boring weather to go. Should get more interesting in about a week from now.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

BookNerdCarp
EF0 Tornado

Post by BookNerdCarp »

11 degrees here
dce
EF5 Tornado

Post by dce »

This image is from the, I believe, French website that Les posted a few weeks ago concerning the MJO phases and how they respond in the atmosphere in correlation to La Nina, El Nino, and Enso neutral. This image is phase 7 in January during a La Nina.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doug

Huber Heights
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

CB Evening Update - https://kyweathercenter.com/?p=52715

It's worth a look. You can see all 3 12Z global ensembles at 500 MB showing the wonderful pattern coming up! Doug... they look a lot like the above image. Oh and you are correct on the site. ;)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

This is for the upper plains a week after the Tennessee valley/Kentucky tornado outbreak

8D9196AD-0BCA-4196-9B94-3FEA86A895C2.thumb.jpeg.eabfc3a5cea3036271f9f9277cbfff15.jpeg
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

I was living in Pennsylvania at the time and recall that roads were closed due to the snow. I think we got over 15” where I was. I believe a few days later we had a massive warmup and rain event that caused major flooding….but maybe I’m thinking of another storm. Lol
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

FIer5c4X0AAAFbT.png
FIe4JMhUcAMehAz.jpeg
FIXQdhrUUAAMZvD.jpeg
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

So far this winter has had it all... big snows, big cold and big time severe wx. All we need is that big snow event for us and we can call it a day lol
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Low of 12 here and at CVG so far.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

BookNerdCarp
EF0 Tornado

Post by BookNerdCarp »

I hit 9 degrees around 5am
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Guess they figured, why bother , to update the MJO the last few days since it is still in the same location it has been for quite some time. Still at the invisible border of 7/8 . Safe to say at this point it is stalled, bit as long as the 500mb modeling a week from now and beyond come true, that will do just fine for the second half of January

r5s_hrp_1450.jpg
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

A couple of interesting things to note from the overnight guidance before the 12Z runs come out this afternoon... The first is check out the 0Z GFS animation below. You can clearly see the split flow pattern with numerous short waves in both the polar and subtropical jet streams. We just need to wait and see if two of them can phase for a big storm. The pattern is like this out to Day 16 with no stoppage in sight. So we should have a few chances at a light to mod event and a shot at a big one too after mid month. East Coast posters as well like Charles should also be excited about the upcoming pattern that should be beginning late next week / next weekend.
GFSSplitFlow.gif

Also, another big drop in the SOI has occurred which I also thought was interesting and could argue for a stormy pattern or one big storm anyway, down the road.

SOIDrop.png
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Low of 13 around 4:00
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

NAM AMP model over 1” at CVG for later tonight into tomorrow. Yeah no
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

cloudy72 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:28 am NAM AMP model over 1” at CVG for later tonight into tomorrow. Yeah no
You know my call... sticking with it.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

It's only 22 imby with full sunshine right now. So I am wondering... Do we even make it into the L40s today? Very dry air right now so could wet bulbing processes lead to sleet at the onset briefly then rain overnight? Doubtful many will be up to see or hear it, after midnight for verification. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tron777 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:32 am It's only 22 imby with full sunshine right now. So I am wondering... Do we even make it into the L40s today? Very dry air right now so could wet bulbing processes lead to sleet at the onset briefly then rain overnight? Doubtful many will be up to see or hear it, after midnight for verification. :lol:
Some road temps at that time will probably still be at freezing , especially the less sun drenched roadways. So i could see some icing possible even if it starts as rain.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:44 am
tron777 wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 10:32 am It's only 22 imby with full sunshine right now. So I am wondering... Do we even make it into the L40s today? Very dry air right now so could wet bulbing processes lead to sleet at the onset briefly then rain overnight? Doubtful many will be up to see or hear it, after midnight for verification. :lol:
Some road temps at that time will probably still be at freezing , especially the less sun drenched roadways. So i could see some icing possible even if it starts as rain.
Absolutely! The ground is not going to warm up fast this time of year. Great post!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

DT This Week in Weather:

Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page