January 2022 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: January 2022 Weather Discussion

Post by tron777 »

MJO or some kind of other forcing mechanism must be in the drivers seat and has been for a long time. Since Fall probably. Doing some reading online and on other forums and ran across this about the PDO.

PDO index is in for December. Lowest OND readings since the mid-1950’s.

OCT -3.13

NOV -2.72

DEC -2.73

https://www.ncei.noaa.gov/pub/data/cmb/ ... v5.pdo.dat

So with that in mind, pretty remarkable we can see the ridging and getting cold driven into the Eastern US from time to time. Amazing to see the -PNA take a break for a few weeks.

As of 1/4, Aussie data shows the MJO "sniffing Phase 8" as Bgoney would say. :lol:

rmm.phase.Last40days.gif
All in all as stated previously and I think we can all agree... pattern looks decent for everyone. MS River, Ohio Valley, and Charles going forward thru mid January at least. IMO Even by 1/20 I think we are still good at the present time.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Lol Les, and still sniffing

pi3_hrp_0110.jpg
Screenshot_20220105-203436_Gallery.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

And in the "but don't tell anyone" news dept. Arctic sea ice extent to date is the best in 18 years and grown at record rates, somehow beyond the invisible"tipping point" of last year

Screenshot_20220106-062522_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220106-062605_Chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20220106-063504_Chrome.jpg
Last edited by Bgoney on Thu Jan 06, 2022 6:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I checked the JTWC page yesterday and there is another invest that they are keeping an eye on. wonder if another TC might get going to impact Aussie Land? If so, that would screw with the MJO yet again as well. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Not exactly good news from the BOM'rs. They expect MJO to linger in 7 before it drowns in the COD. Current position as noted in post last night.....

rmm.phase.Last40days.gif
young pup
EF4 Tornado

Post by young pup »

A nice balmy 14 here this morning. Going to take down the outside Christmas lights today. :) :) At least coming down will be faster than going up.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

12Z GFS continues to show cold shots and possible active weather. Nice fantasy event on this afternoons run just for kicks.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MJSun
Thunder Storm

Post by MJSun »

Hoping we get a direct hit this year- seeing this one go to the *south* (not even the north!) with 6 inches stung a little.
Mollie
Cincinnati: Batavia/Amelia (H), Norwood (W)

The extent of my weather knowledge is pointing at the sky and saying what color it is.

:bouncymulti:
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tron777 wrote: Thu Jan 06, 2022 1:29 pm 12Z GFS continues to show cold shots and possible active weather. Nice fantasy event on this afternoons run just for kicks.
Boy , I'll say. Showing that split jet potential . Ooh-la-la!!!! Polar jet.... meet STJ, have a great time!!

gfs_uv250_us_62.png
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

gfs_uv250_namer_fh66-222.gif
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Great images Bgoney... thanks for posting those. Def continue to like the mid month potential for a bigger storm. 500 MB pattern supports a big phased / juiced up classic winter storm. It'll probably have it all. Snow, ice, severe wx etc. The biggies usually do. Hope it isn't a Nor 'Easter (no offense Charles LOL). An Apps Runner is always what we need. Last one still to dump on the entire region was March of 2008. We are so, so over due it's not even funny.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Ensembles (have not seen Canadian only GEFS and EPS for 12Z) are supporting a nice look near or shortly after 1/15. A nice -EPO, +PNA, -AO and -NAO potentially returning briefly. If we can see some of those Tellies line up like that, you will get a big storm somewhere and a visit from the PV like what the OP GFS is showing. Potential is there for a big storm and a true dump of very cold arctic air. Like below zero at night and highs 10 to 15 type of stuff. We'll see what happens. I would feel better if the MJO got into 8 for higher confidence but I'll take what I can get lol
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

18Z GFS continues the active and cold look. Need to see the jets phase for a big one. On that run good potential for New England. Other runs have favored us at times too like the 12Z. So that's the deal after this weekend's rain maker. Cold - split jet flow and we'll see if the timing works out to hammer us thru 1/20.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

CPC Tellies shows a +PNA continuing... AO and NAO dropping near and after mid month as of the 1/6 update.

https://www.cpc.ncep.noaa.gov/products/ ... ions.shtml
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Currently 16 here in G'ville and progged for around 8 on Fri morning. Then the high on Fri around 20.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Extended GEFS valid for 1/25: Animated GIF shows the last 4 runs. Looked like our pattern was breaking down at first, but nope. Looks really good attm.

Jan-6-GEFS-Ext-Loop.gif
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

HAPPY BIRTHDAY SHOUT OUT TO GINA!! :gift: :gift: :partyblower: :banblonde: :bandreads: :banlinedance: :banguitar:

I hope that you've enjoyed your special day, Wxbuddy, and some snow tossed in, too!! 8-)
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

12 at CVG with some flurries. I am down to 12 as well.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

MJO, IMO, firmly in 7 and flirting with 8. I don't know how much more teasing 8 can take.

(Australia lower left)

r5s_hrp_1150.jpg
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good Friday everyone! As we know... The South has risen again! :lol: We'll get our turn! The pattern was good for us, but the Great Lakes storm did not allow our storm to come further NW. What can ya do?

Moving on... a warm up and rain this weekend after a cold Friday. Sat, after a cold start, looks great! U30s to perhaps the L40s across the area with sun sunshine esp early. Rain comes in Sat night and into the day on Sunday. I like 0.25 to 0.50" on this one. Some models are going up to 0.75" but models have overdone QPF on some of these last few rain storms so going to hold my call there. We could end as a few flakes Sunday late afternoon once this system pulls out but it's the cold catching up to the moisture routine so we all know how that goes. :lol: Quiet again next week as we start cold then warm up into the 40s again by Wed and Thurs.

So getting into the longer term, Ensembles look wonderful with the overall 500 MB Hemispheric pattern. Seeing nice ridging along the West Coast and into Alaska. ridging near Greenland again and over the top suggesting a -AO and the PV dropping south. Pattern is ripe for a monster snow storm. Again, how this evolves and who gets it remains to be seen. But the next few weeks, with this type of jet stream configuration, we may or may not get whacked, but the pattern is favorable for it to occur. Just need a little luck. A great pattern is all we can ask for and I think we're getting it. We just had a good pattern, just bad luck on the track with this latest system.

Our next system of interest is around Fri or Sat next week... 14-15th. We've got a clipper low diving in from Canada and moisture with the STJ coming up from the Gulf/ They try and meet over us but don't quite make the connection. Lack of cold air too as it's just coming in with the clipper. Looking like a few light rain showers attm with some snow possible as well esp north of Cincy. We'll keep an eye on that one to see if any phasing can occur. Lots of time to watch it. More importantly, that system brings the cold air back into the area. Another arctic boundary drops into the country after that with a wave developing along it. Big Storm Potential looks to be in that 18-22nd window. OP GFS (0Z) shows a Gulf low hooking up with that boundary riding NE with a nice snow storm for us currently Jan 20-21st. 6Z run did not phase and it's a weak system, but cold with a clipper and big storm potential was shown in the la la land range at the end of the run. Canadian is interesting at Day 10 with the Gulf Low organizing and a wave coming out of the Plains. Euro gets things going much much faster and has a phased Cutter system Days 9-10. so lots of solutions out there but all we can watch this far away is the potential and see if things flip our way for a change. We'll know in the next week I think.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:29 am MJO, IMO, firmly in 7 and flirting with 8. I don't know how much more teasing 8 can take.

(Australia lower left)

r5s_hrp_1150.jpg
Deep into Phase 7 may work out just like being in 8 per the Atmospheric Response I am seeing on the Ensembles. Very nice agreement on all three major global ensembles for mid month and beyond. Point is, I don't think it's going to make much difference now if we cross over or not. We're close enough and I think with the Nina now being the most East Based on record, and the very -QBO, we are finally seeing the response we were expecting to see early in the winter. The idea was right, just a month off. Nina's typically do produce cold Decembers so it made sense to go big early. That failed of course but we're heading in the right direction now for arctic air intrusions and potential phasing jet streams with the -EPO / +PNA and some help up top to slow the jet down. You get an El Nino response in a Nina basically is how things are looking currently to me. MJO Deep in Phase 7 I think helped to kick start the process as well as the Nina being severely East Based.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

8 degrees here so far.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tron777 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:35 am
Bgoney wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:29 am MJO, IMO, firmly in 7 and flirting with 8. I don't know how much more teasing 8 can take.

(Australia lower left)

r5s_hrp_1150.jpg
Deep into Phase 7 may work out just like being in 8 per the Atmospheric Response I am seeing on the Ensembles. Very nice agreement on all three major global ensembles for mid month and beyond. Point is, I don't think it's going to make much difference now if we cross over or not. We're close enough and I think with the Nina now being the most East Based on record, and the very -QBO, we are finally seeing the response we were expecting to see early in the winter. The idea was right, just a month off. Nina's typically do produce cold Decembers so it made sense to go big early. That failed of course but we're heading in the right direction now for arctic air intrusions and potential phasing jet streams with the -EPO / +PNA and some help up top to slow the jet down. You get an El Nino response in a Nina basically is how things are looking currently to me. MJO Deep in Phase 7 I think helped to kick start the process as well as the Nina being severely East Based.
Great post Les, we brought this up a good while back , when the MJO finally woke up and going through 6, that 7 was a transitory phase and if it at least got to where it is now, that would be enough to shake up the 500mb PAC pattern and that is certainly happening now and for the next 2 weeks at least
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

cloudy72 wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:40 am 8 degrees here so far.
11 now.. few flurries floating around too.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

It's a nice snow shower now... cool! Wasn't expecting this.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page