August 2023 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: August 2023 Weather Discussion

Post by tron777 »

...STRONG THUNDERSTORMS WILL IMPACT PORTIONS OF SOUTHERN CAMPBELL,
SOUTHERN CLERMONT, BROWN, NORTHWESTERN ADAMS, NORTHWESTERN PIKE,
HIGHLAND AND SOUTHWESTERN ROSS COUNTIES THROUGH 100 PM EDT...

At 1223 PM EDT, strong thunderstorms were located along a line
extending from Leesburg to near New Richmond, moving east at 45 mph.

HAZARD...Wind gusts up to 45 mph and very heavy rain.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...Gusty winds could knock down tree limbs and blow around
unsecured objects. Visibility will be poor and hydroplaning
is possible.

Locations impacted include...
Hillsboro, Greenfield, Georgetown, Mount Orab, Bethel, New Richmond,
Williamsburg, Lynchburg, Leesburg, Winchester, Marshall, Sardinia,
Bainbridge, Belfast, Highland Holiday, Rocky Fork Point, Cynthiana,
Russell, New Market and Emerald.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

BookNerdCarp
EF0 Tornado

Post by BookNerdCarp »

1/2 inch in last 2 hours - seems this will destablilize things for later?
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Keep getting missed to the north and south. Oh well been a decent summer so sooner or later the odds were against me
cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Another downpour moved through so up to 0.88" now.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Very similar to last August when I got missed mid-month and then we hit a few months of a short term drought.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

.70" in my gauge since last night. :)

Currently 72 with a DP of 70 here in G'ville.
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Mon Aug 07, 2023 4:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

My total was sitting at 0.15" last time I checked. I get a 30-60 second downpour then the sun comes out. That has happened twice today so far. 0.14" of that came with the overnight activity so as you can see, I have only added on an additional 0.01" from these downpours. Better then a zero® I guess. :lol: Looks like the front has cleared IND so we have a few hours left for scattered showers and isolated t-storms then it's game over basically until Wed night and Thursday as that will be our next chance.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

CVG is up to 0.35" and Boone Co mesonet is at 0.04" still. The extreme northern part of Boone Co has done well since July. Central and southern portions not so much.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 9:51 am Thank you all for the reports. Keep 'em coming! Portions of the S Apps into the Mid Atlantic states are going to be upgraded to a moderate risk due to damaging winds in excess of 70 knots per the SPC discussion. The best dynamics continue to be S and SE of our local area. 40-50 knot bulk shear over Central and SKY is going to boost these storms to our East later this afternoon. For us... scattered action until the front passes is all I am seeing which flat out stinks! :lol:
Yes, my former stomping grounds in NC looks really nasty for today wind-wise in a 30% to 45% zone. My sister, her mil and my niece in Mt Airy in the western part of the state are in that 45% zone for wind and my bil in Roanoke Rapids in the eastern part in the 30% zone just west of I-95. My sister and niece are residing in Mt Airy to help care for her mil who has Alzheimer's. My bil makes periodic trips to check on his Mom. He works for Dominion Power which is hq'ed out of Richmond, VA but has a satellite office in Roa Rpds.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Bgoney wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 7:11 amTrace
So sorry to hear bro. Prayerfully you'll be able to pick up something substantial this afternoon.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

----
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

0.17" for my new total.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Per radar, cold front has entered in our NW counties of the Tri-state on up towards Dayton and NW of Columbus. Rain chances are over once that front passes your end. For those who got rain, look for some patchy dense fog tomorrow morning followed by mostly sunny skies. We should see afternoon CU development and maybe a slim chance at a shower. Very slim. Probably shouldn't even mention it. :lol:

Late Wed, probably more so Wed night and Thurs is our next chance. Unfortunately, this is looking like another nighttime event yet again so my hopes for decent rains will be tempered. A break then possible showers / storms with the frontal passage. This system I hope speeds up more to help with rains Wed night to be honest. Euro and GFS both pass the front thru midday to early afternoon Thursday.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

New total 0.22 so maybe one more quick shower but should be under 1/4 inch.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I'm watching the radar closely. As the front moves in there is one skinny line of heavier showers that I am hoping can track over me to maybe, just maybe get me to that 0.20" mark for this event. :lol: We'll see... knowing my luck it'll pass to my south. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Tim... we may both have a shot at this small little line.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Had one last down pour with the frontal passage. 0.18" looks to be my final total. CVG did well ending up with 0.44". Boone Co mesonet right now has 0.07" and they may tack on another hundredth or so. Overall, pretty pathetic for a lot of us, and decent for a few. Same ole song and dance. We'll try again Wed night and Thurs.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

dce
EF5 Tornado

Post by dce »

tron777 wrote: Mon Aug 07, 2023 5:16 pm Had one last down pour with the frontal passage. 0.18" looks to be my final total. CVG did well ending up with 0.44". Boone Co mesonet right now has 0.07" and they may tack on another hundredth or so. Overall, pretty pathetic for a lot of us, and decent for a few. Same ole song and dance. We'll try again Wed night and Thurs.
KDAY tacked on 1.53 for the day. It poured down from about 4:15 this morning until about 5:45. I can attest to the total as I live about 2 1/2 miles east of the airport.
Doug

Huber Heights
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Morning and had that last shower that really help out my totals as I ended with 0.44. Rooting for more rain later Wednesday and Thursday
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Sure didn't get that lucky here yesterday. It is looking like our next good chance comes in Wed just after sunset so hopefully since this is a little earlier timing more folks can benefit from it. Lingering showers end Thurs morning then we warm up and get very humid this weekend. Scattered storms possible again Saturday. Enjoy today though, less humid and sunny with PM CU development and lower 80s expected.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Happy Birthday Charles! Hope you have a great day and have time to do a little fishing! :smilefish: :waterski: :birthdaymulticolor: :cake: :balloons:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

I figure I need between 1500 and 2000 trace amount events over the next 2-4 weeks to get out of MBY drought, so, there’s a lot of work to be done
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:22 am I figure I need between 1500 and 2000 trace amount events over the next 2-4 weeks to get out of MBY drought, so, there’s a lot of work to be done
It always amazes me the localization of summer time t-storms. I found an official reporting station in Williamsburg that got 1.25" of rain yesterday yet you didn't get anything but a Trace.

https://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droma ... metype=GMT

Same issue in my area where CVG almost got a 1/2". I am 3 miles S of there and got 0.18" and the Boone Co mesonet site which is 3 miles S of me, only got 0.08" total. Crazy stuff sometimes in weather.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tron777 wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:33 am
Bgoney wrote: Tue Aug 08, 2023 8:22 am I figure I need between 1500 and 2000 trace amount events over the next 2-4 weeks to get out of MBY drought, so, there’s a lot of work to be done
It always amazes me the localization of summer time t-storms. I found an official reporting station in Williamsburg that got 1.25" of rain yesterday yet you didn't get anything but a Trace.

https://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droma ... metype=GMT

Same issue in my area where CVG almost got a 1/2". I am 3 miles S of there and got 0.18" and the Boone Co mesonet site which is 3 miles S of me, only got 0.08" total. Crazy stuff sometimes in weather.
Yea I look at those mesonets all the time and that has happened almost every time this year IMBY. See that little rectangle of green in Clermont amongst the 1-2” amounts north and south, that would be the me and the MOASZ’s in all its glory

IMG_0522.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Wow! It really puts it all into perspective when you can see the issue in action on the above map. Same thing in Boone co. Look at that very light green color in Central Boone Co. That is my area lol North and South of me has patches of blue. I'm not in as bad shape as Bgoney of course just pointing out the localized nature of summertime t-storms as the above map perfectly shows what has been happening.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page