Rocktober 2022 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Re: Rocktober 2022 Weather Discussion

Post by Bgoney »

A bit warmer here than yesterday, 33. Still no ground frost with no moisture in the ground
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

32 here for my low with plenty of frost. More frost then yesterday morning. Car tops, roof tops, lawns, etc. all has a coating on it today! Looks like CVG will bottom out in that 34-35 degree range.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

My temp call for highs this week and rain chances:

Today - L60s
Mon - 70
Tues - Low to mid 70s
Wed - U70s, perhaps 80? Low end rain chance late. Becoming more likely Wed night
Thurs - Any showers end early - 63
Fri - 60
Sat - 65

An early look at rainfall amounts with that next front looks to be on the order of 0.25" or less at this time. I have seen some guidance a few days ago going 0.50-1" of rain but you've got to take into account how dry it's been so I'll stick with the lesser totals for now.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

GFS slowly coming in line with EU QPF amounts for Thursday, I think .20-.50" is reasonable for the region atm. Not the 1.00" amounts GFS was holding onto. A fast moving front with no low nearby , the lower amounts are more likely
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Th fall veggies are absolutely loving these temps
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Bgoney wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 7:34 am A bit warmer here than yesterday, 33. Still no ground frost with no moisture in the ground
Yes and that really has been the biggest reason we are not seeing a lot of frost on the ground. Car tops and windows along with roof tops have a nice coating of ice but the lawn itself is a slim layer and not covering all the yard. Moisture in the ground is huge in getting the heavy frost.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Bgoney wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:16 am GFS slowly coming in line with EU QPF amounts for Thursday, I think .20-.50" is reasonable for the region atm. Not the 1.00" amounts GFS was holding onto. A fast moving front with no low nearby , the lower amounts are more likely
Good Morning Les and I believe we never took the bait for higher totals. Starting to see a pattern that may set up for the winter which is decent cold shots every 5-7 days but storminess that clips us but tends to be further south and east. Have storms come into Alaska go over the ridging out west and head southeast. Then we just hope the STJ is active and that is something we need to watch and could be the difference between a cold and rather dry winter or a cold and really nice winter in terms of winter precip. Again we are in the early stages but some of these signs are showing up and we know patterns tend to repeat once they get established.
young pup
EF4 Tornado

Post by young pup »

MVWxObserver wrote: Sat Oct 08, 2022 1:03 am
young pup wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 5:53 pm
tron777 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 1:47 pm
young pup wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 11:56 am
tron777 wrote: Fri Oct 07, 2022 10:24 am

I see a day or two every now and again as being warm into the 70s, but otherwise, it's going to remain on the chillier side as a whole for the next week or two in my opinion.
Yeah I figured we have a couple of warm days thrown in here and there. My mind is not wanting to switch to the cooler weather yet.
Mine always is, you know me! :lol:
Mine will be forced to swith in about an hour. Going up to run chains at the High School football game. :) I know it won't be that cold. But when the sun goes down I expect it to be about 45-48? by the end of the game.
Did your High School team pick win? :)
Nope, got beat 42 to 0. Ugly.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:33 am
Bgoney wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 8:16 am GFS slowly coming in line with EU QPF amounts for Thursday, I think .20-.50" is reasonable for the region atm. Not the 1.00" amounts GFS was holding onto. A fast moving front with no low nearby , the lower amounts are more likely
Good Morning Les and I believe we never took the bait for higher totals. Starting to see a pattern that may set up for the winter which is decent cold shots every 5-7 days but storminess that clips us but tends to be further south and east. Have storms come into Alaska go over the ridging out west and head southeast. Then we just hope the STJ is active and that is something we need to watch and could be the difference between a cold and rather dry winter or a cold and really nice winter in terms of winter precip. Again we are in the early stages but some of these signs are showing up and we know patterns tend to repeat once they get established.
Good morning Tim! The +PNA / -EPO combo along with a persistent Hudson's Bay vortex... if that 500 MB pattern continues for the winter then it'll get interesting in a hurry! Of course, we don't yet know, but the next 2 weeks looks to be the status quo for sure.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Local12a.jpg
Local12b.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

63 here today. I expect the Metro to stay close to 40 tonight. 30s of course rural areas with light frost possible. A 3 day warming trend then back to Fall with a dash of rain / thunder with a a cold front mid week.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Sun Oct 09, 2022 6:08 pm 63 here today. I expect the Metro to stay close to 40 tonight. 30s of course rural areas with light frost possible. A 3 day warming trend then back to Fall with a dash of rain / thunder with a a cold front mid week.
Looks good Les and I believe the cold front Thursday drops temps somewhat but a bigger shot the following Monday and could be one of those days where temps have a hard time getting to 50. Still believe rainfall will be on the lighter side with totals for most between .25 and .50 though some folks could get less as we know how these quick systems work.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

As we head into mid-October a second rainy season usually starts and lasts through early December. Models are starting to advertise more rainfall starting this week so lets see how that pans out. Yes the ground is dry but once you get later into fall that is not the kind of problem you see in the summer and early fall as systems are not so dependent on wet grounds.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

51 imby right now, probably headed to the U30s by morning. Watch for patchy valley / river fog in the morning. Otherwise sunny and 70ish tomorrow. Nice weather really for the 1st half of the week then the front.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

airwolf76
EF0 Tornado

Post by airwolf76 »

Really enjoying this month of October so far. temps have been average or even below. that is so nice compared to how warm it could be this time of year yet. it is so refreshing to have a cooler October or how it should be this time of year. long range is showing below avg temps also so thats encouraging :bandance:
22'/23' snowfall > 11"
23'/24' snowfall > 19.5"
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Very nice temp-wise indeed this Oct because early Oct 2019 e.g. was around 90 degrees! when my folks, myself, sister, bil and niece attended a cousins reunion in Indiana.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

43 here this morning. 3 days in the 70s upcoming so enjoy it guys ahead of our next cold front. Timing is now looking like we get small chances Wed, likely Wed night,. then back to gorgeous fall weather Thurs thru the weekend.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:29 am 43 here this morning. 3 days in the 70s upcoming so enjoy it guys ahead of our next cold front. Timing is now looking like we get small chances Wed, likely Wed night,. then back to gorgeous fall weather Thurs thru the weekend.
Les this October has been easy on forecasters. Still .25-.50 but again some folks may get less. System is to progressive and though we may have a 6 hour period where the rain is falling that is about the duration of the rain. Still looking at early next week as another shot of cold air is heading this way and once you get into mid-Oct we start looking at cutoff lows that form and these can really keep temps down if you are nearby.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:26 am
tron777 wrote: Mon Oct 10, 2022 7:29 am 43 here this morning. 3 days in the 70s upcoming so enjoy it guys ahead of our next cold front. Timing is now looking like we get small chances Wed, likely Wed night,. then back to gorgeous fall weather Thurs thru the weekend.
Les this October has been easy on forecasters. Still .25-.50 but again some folks may get less. System is to progressive and though we may have a 6 hour period where the rain is falling that is about the duration of the rain. Still looking at early next week as another shot of cold air is heading this way and once you get into mid-Oct we start looking at cutoff lows that form and these can really keep temps down if you are nearby.
Either side of midnight Wed night looks to be the prime time window for us to get wet, as you said for about a 6 hour period. This month has been fairly easy with a +PNA dominating and mainly cool and dry weather for us, with the Gulf being closed for business. The Gulf will open up with this next system so at least we have that going for us instead of a few sprinkles and that's it. :lol: After this one passes, we're back to the same ole, same ole. I see several more cold blasts of air down the road too. No changes to the +PNA yet in my opinion.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

A marginal risk from the SPC now for Wed night.

day3otlk_0730.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Well well well what does the CMC have cooking for early next week. If you guessed snow you are correct. I agree the cold shot imo looks decent but can we get some flakes to fly. The CMC tends to be a tad colder than other models and usually ahead of the game about 3 times each winter.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

CMC is certainly interesting with a closed upper low solution for next week. Not seeing any other model showing that yet so we'll no doubt PASS on that solution. However, it is that time of year for Digital Snow again! :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Saw on the noon news wx segment today that Darke Co e.g. is in an abnormally dry D0 zone so could certainly use some more rain. ;)

Currently 72 here in G'ville. :sunny:
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

High of 72 here today! Another beauty! Another wonderful day tomorrow. Warm Wed, but small rain chances possible. A damp Wed night then back to Fall. We are still looking at a high in the 50s, lows in the 30s type of regime after this weekend when the next front arrives. By Columbus Day, Highs 50 to 55 across AV Country? Very possible!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page