December 2021 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: December 2021 Weather Discussion

Post by tron777 »

Good morning everyone! Not much change to the forecast for the next few days. Wind is the bigger issue today and tomorrow with 30-50 mph gusts possible. A few showers this morning with the warm front, not a big deal. Better rain chances come in tomorrow with the heaviest action still on tap Fri afternoon thru Sat morning. Still looking at a general 1-2" with isolated higher amounts possible in our Southern counties.

We drop back to seasonal temps Sunday into early next week with some sunshine expected. Highs in the 40s lows in the 20s which is typical for December. We may see another front just before Christmas that brings in a shot of colder air for the big holiday but I think that is transient in nature before a better pattern takes shape as we ring in the New Year. Still keeping an eye on the longer term.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Minnesota has never registered a December Tornado. Could today change that? Let's hope not. The winds are going to be an issue for a lot of folks even without t-storms. Remarkable to see a moderate risk issued for Iowa and SE MN in December! Practically unheard of.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tron777 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:14 am Minnesota has never registered a December Tornado. Could today change that? Let's hope not. The winds are going to be an issue for a lot of folks even without t-storms. Remarkable to see a moderate risk issued for Iowa and SE MN in December! Practically unheard of.
Yea, I saw satellite pics where there is snow on the ground atm where part of the mod risk is
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:29 am
tron777 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 7:14 am Minnesota has never registered a December Tornado. Could today change that? Let's hope not. The winds are going to be an issue for a lot of folks even without t-storms. Remarkable to see a moderate risk issued for Iowa and SE MN in December! Practically unheard of.
Yea, I saw satellite pics where there is snow on the ground atm where part of the mod risk is
Yeah... S MN just got 8-14" of snow and now this. Wow... What a wild December it has been!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Historic wind storm is underway in the central US :

Current wind gusts:

107 mph at Lamar, CO
89 mph at Las Vegas, NM
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

cloudy72 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:07 am Historic wind storm is underway in the central US :

Current wind gusts:

107 mph at Lamar, CO
89 mph at Las Vegas, NM
That is wild anytime of the year.
cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Current mesoanalysis shows a well defined squall/bow flying northeastward into western Kansas. Winds have gusted over 100 mph with this line.

Squall-Line.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

There's some good helicity too over Iowa and S MN as well as 500 J/kg of SB CAPE over much of Iowa. Not a good situation unfolding for high winds or severe t-storms. Just hope it doesn't get as bad as what we saw in KY. In addition to MN never having recorded a December TOR, Wisc has not either.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Wow... 86 mph gust reported at Garden City, KS. All time record highs for December are ongoing too. Currently 71 at Des Moines, IA and Cedar Rapids is at 70.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Record high tied at DAY = 63 degrees
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

westharrisonwx
Rain Shower

Post by westharrisonwx »

cloudy72 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 11:17 am Current mesoanalysis shows a well defined squall/bow flying northeastward into western Kansas. Winds have gusted over 100 mph with this line.

Squall-Line.PNG
Goodland KS just issued a Dust Storm Warning a little bit ago. That squall line kicked up a wall of dust moving 80mph!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

For us locally... 60s and wind today then we'll see rain to go along with the wind tomorrow esp in the afternoon. A break then more rain Fri afternoon into the day on Sat. Not much change in our local forecast at this point.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Gust of 100 mph at the Air Force Academy near Colorado Springs!
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

mcd2027.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

1st MD for the mod risk area:

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md2027.html

EDIT: Mike beat me to it. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Garden City KS 89 mph
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

airwolf76
EF0 Tornado

Post by airwolf76 »

i cant believe those wind gusts out there. straight line wind gusts that strong can cause quite a bit of damage also
22'/23' snowfall > 11"
23'/24' snowfall > 19.5"
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Quick long term thoughts:

I am seeing more and more models showing a dual blocking structure to the North American 500 MB pattern. You've got an Alaskan ridge or -EPO that is centered a little too far west for us, but you get the arctic air dumping into Western Canada and into the Northern Rockies / Plains. We've also got a nicely placed -NAO pushing well into Greenland. However, at the same time we continue to have a robust -PNA which will keep the storms crashing into the West Coast and ridging will want to fight the cold air attacks as they come in with each storm. By the time we get towards New Year's and beyond, I think if the MJO does get into deep Phase 7 if not even Phase 8, the cold shouldn't have a problem getting down to us. I think the core of the coldest air stays NW of us which is fine. We just need 20s and 30s for snow which would work. Again patience is needed but I am really beginning to like what I see as we approach New Year's and beyond

A check of the Tellies shows the AO and NAO going negative over the next week. How deeply negative they go is still up for debate. PNA still negative and I see no signs of that changing in the next couple of weeks. I think the SE ridge retrogrades to Texas / S Plains area. MJO forecasts from the GFS and Euro keep the MJO in Phase 7 thru 12/29. The Euro monthly which does go into January quite a ways is showing Phase 8 being possible after 1/10/22. Kyle MacRitchie's experimental MJO model has Phase 8 by early January and Phase 1 sometime during Week 2. If this pans out the first half of January could be very interesting. A wait and see game this far away obviously.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Geez!!!

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
Severe Thunderstorm Warning
National Weather Service Wichita KS
133 PM CST Wed Dec 15 2021

The National Weather Service in Wichita has issued a

* Severe Thunderstorm Warning for...
Rice County in central Kansas...
Lincoln County in central Kansas...
Ellsworth County in central Kansas...
Russell County in central Kansas...
Barton County in central Kansas...

* Until 230 PM CST.

* At 131 PM CST, severe thunderstorms were located along a line
extending from near Luray to near Great Bend, moving northeast at
50 mph.

THIS LINE OF STORMS IS PRODUCING DESTRUCTIVE WINDS!

HAZARD...80 TO 90 mph wind gusts.

SOURCE...Radar indicated.

IMPACT...You are in a life-threatening situation. Flying debris
may be deadly to those caught without shelter. Mobile
homes will be heavily damaged or destroyed. Homes and
businesses will have substantial roof and window damage.
Expect extensive tree damage and power outages.

* Locations impacted include...
Great Bend, Russell, Lyons, Ellsworth, Hoisington, Sterling,
Ellinwood, Wilson, Claflin, Kanopolis, Lincoln, Little River,
Chase, Holyrood, Lucas, Gorham, Bushton, Sylvan Grove, Geneseo and
Pawnee Rock.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Seeing a lot of TDS's on radar and radar est winds of 80-90 mph. I'd say the ground reports are going to be pretty accurate to what radar is showing over Nebraska.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:02 pm Quick long term thoughts:

I am seeing more and more models showing a dual blocking structure to the North American 500 MB pattern. You've got an Alaskan ridge or -EPO that is centered a little too far west for us, but you get the arctic air dumping into Western Canada and into the Northern Rockies / Plains. We've also got a nicely placed -NAO pushing well into Greenland. However, at the same time we continue to have a robust -PNA which will keep the storms crashing into the West Coast and ridging will want to fight the cold air attacks as they come in with each storm. By the time we get towards New Year's and beyond, I think if the MJO does get into deep Phase 7 if not even Phase 8, the cold shouldn't have a problem getting down to us. I think the core of the coldest air stays NW of us which is fine. We just need 20s and 30s for snow which would work. Again patience is needed but I am really beginning to like what I see as we approach New Year's and beyond

A check of the Tellies shows the AO and NAO going negative over the next week. How deeply negative they go is still up for debate. PNA still negative and I see no signs of that changing in the next couple of weeks. I think the SE ridge retrogrades to Texas / S Plains area. MJO forecasts from the GFS and Euro keep the MJO in Phase 7 thru 12/29. The Euro monthly which does go into January quite a ways is showing Phase 8 being possible after 1/10/22. Kyle MacRitchie's experimental MJO model has Phase 8 by early January and Phase 1 sometime during Week 2. If this pans out the first half of January could be very interesting. A wait and see game this far away obviously.
Great Post Les and just to add to your post. I believe next week is a step in the correct direction to bring hopefully some decent winter weather this way. Next week is one of those 4 weeks during the winter season where you can have either rain or snow which is much better than we have seen so far this season. Even at this point some of the models are trying to bring a system in here for either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day and yes there may be enough cold air around to see snow. Again way to early for predictions but with other signs that you have stated like the AO and NAO going negative that at least gives us a fighting chance until the end of the year and yes if the mjo will head into phases 8 and 1 in January the pattern will no doubt lean towards a colder month and hopefully a white one as well. Still concerned about the southwest ridge which is really a big problem this late fall/early fall season and if that continues in January with the other tellies turning out they way the are headed that could mean some nasty ice storms and could be near us as well but again lets see how the pattern changes and go from there. I will be gone from Dec 26th until Jan 2 but I hope there is some snow during that time period locally but please save the bigger storms until the 3rd of Jan lol.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 3:25 pm
tron777 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 2:02 pm Quick long term thoughts:

Great Post Les and just to add to your post. I believe next week is a step in the correct direction to bring hopefully some decent winter weather this way. Next week is one of those 4 weeks during the winter season where you can have either rain or snow which is much better than we have seen so far this season. Even at this point some of the models are trying to bring a system in here for either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day and yes there may be enough cold air around to see snow. Again way to early for predictions but with other signs that you have stated like the AO and NAO going negative that at least gives us a fighting chance until the end of the year and yes if the mjo will head into phases 8 and 1 in January the pattern will no doubt lean towards a colder month and hopefully a white one as well. Still concerned about the southwest ridge which is really a big problem this late fall/early fall season and if that continues in January with the other tellies turning out they way the are headed that could mean some nasty ice storms and could be near us as well but again lets see how the pattern changes and go from there. I will be gone from Dec 26th until Jan 2 but I hope there is some snow during that time period locally but please save the bigger storms until the 3rd of Jan lol.
I'm on vacation from 12/24 thru 1/2 so hoping to track some wintry systems for a change. Confidence is low in the Christmas to New Year's period this far away. It'll take another week before we can hone in on that. But I think it'll look more interesting then the ridiculous warmth we've got right now.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

The wind has diminished for us locally for now anyway and it's nice outside right now. Tunes, cold beer and the grill is going here. Baked potatoes and eventually some prime rib steaks are on the menu. :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Wed Dec 15, 2021 5:03 pm The wind has diminished for us locally for now anyway and it's nice outside right now. Tunes, cold beer and the grill is going here. Baked potatoes and eventually some prime rib steaks are on the menu. :)
Give me 30 and I will be over lol.