November 2021 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
young pup
EF4 Tornado

Re: November 2021 Weather Discussion

Post by young pup »

Grass and roof tops are covered here. Under some trees with leaves you still see grass though. Coming down moderately. I saw in fb group that salt trucks are out around Springfield. Roads over there are slushy
dce
EF5 Tornado

Post by dce »

In the Dayton area the Urban Heat Island effect is definitely apparent. I go to church about a mile from KDAY which is just north of I-70. I would estimate a little more than an inch was on the ground. The closer I got to Dayton on the drive home it was apparent that things were a little warmer. There was barely a covering on the ground around the downtown area. The closer I got to home on the south side of Dayton there was definitely more of a good covering on the ground. Not as much in West Carrollton as there was north of Dayton, but still probably close to a slushy inch.
Doug

Huber Heights
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Awesome Doug! That's a good start to the season. :) 0.11" QPF as of 1pm at CVG. Temp 38.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Latest official snow totals = 0.4” at KDAY and 0.6” at ILN.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

Ddmeyer004
Rain Shower

Post by Ddmeyer004 »

Trevor wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:17 am
Ddmeyer004 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:52 am First, Good Sunday morning Les……second….well well what do my eyes see. The first snow in Mason, light but still the first flakes. Guess it’s time to put away the shorts and flip flops or pack the car and head to our home on Hilton Head
Can I join ya? :lol:

Hilton Head is my happy place.
Trevor Hilton Head has been our happy place for last 2 years since I retired. Bought a condo on South Forest Beach facing ocean. Headed back down in 3 weeks and will be there through Christmas

Executive Pitmaster/Owner
Flyin Swine BBQ Competition Team
cincy bud
Rain Shower

Post by cincy bud »

This is the view from my new place on the Butler/Preble Co line.
20211114_133929.jpg
20211114_134004.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

That looks so gorgeous, Bud! Thanks for sharing. :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

cincy bud
Rain Shower

Post by cincy bud »

tron777 wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 3:38 pm That looks so gorgeous, Bud! Thanks for sharing. :)
We bought a 206 year old farm house outside of Somerville. Supposedly I am the 2nd highest point in Butler Co. I know Oxford are is over 1000 ft above sea level. The sunsets and sunrises are unreal.
dce
EF5 Tornado

Post by dce »

Here is the 12z Euro for Nov. 24th. Check out that blocking! I hope this pans out. Even if it doesn't get that strong, it would be nice to see.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Doug

Huber Heights
cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

It’s official! 0.1” snow at CVG!!!

CINCINNATI OH Nov 14 Climate: High: 40 Low: 33 Precip: 0.22 Snow: 0.1
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

0.25” liquid here
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I'll update the contest thread in a sec. Way to go Doug on the 1st accum call! :thumbsup:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

dce wrote: Sun Nov 14, 2021 4:39 pm Here is the 12z Euro for Nov. 24th. Check out that blocking! I hope this pans out. Even if it doesn't get that strong, it would be nice to see.
12Z EPS is in very good agreement. I like a colder then avg Thanksgiving Week. It looks active too. Any accumulating snow TBD this far away but the chance is there right now for sure!

ecmwf-ens_z500a_namer_11.png
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

My high was 40 today after a morning low of 33. 0.17" in the books here with 0.1" of snow as well. I'll take it! The flakes at times were impressive looking. I-70 Crew should be very happy with today's outcome also. :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

12Z GEFS also has a +PNA and a -NAO for Thanksgiving Day:

GEFS.png
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

mikeyp
Heavy Rain

Post by mikeyp »

Picked up .17” of liquid today. Was awesome to see the snow around!!!
young pup
EF4 Tornado

Post by young pup »

A couple from the area.
Snowbrain2
Rain Shower

Post by Snowbrain2 »

Snow moved in around noon in Chardon, Ohio. 3.5 inches by 7 pm.
LES tonight into tomorrow will bring more accumulation.
2022/23 Winter snowfall 61 inches
Seasonal average 107-113 inches depending on source.
Chardon, Ohio
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Awesome pics Jeff and JP! :) Thanks to all for their pics and reports. I love it! One more shot of some rain and snow (snow mainly north of Cincy) later this afternoon and evening ahead of our warm front that will push us to 60 tomorrow. A lovely day on Tues guys. U60s on Wed with some wind then we get wet and cool down again.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

CB overnight blog post highlighting our change to colder for Thanksgiving week... can we get some snow? Stay tuned folks! :)

https://kyweathercenter.com/?p=51173
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

27 here this morning, 29 at CVG.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Possible shift in LaNina commencing. Last seven days showing a trend to an East Pac LaNina as opposed to Central Pac. Need to do some digging to see what differences in the 500mb pattern this would have during j ng the winter months
cdas-sflux_ssta7diff_global_1.png
nino12.png
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I believe that an east based Nina is better for blocking and for getting cold into the East versus a Central based one. It's the opposite in an El Nino, but for a Nina, that is the structure that you would want. I also still believe that it might bode well for the second half of winter since it could be becoming more east based. We'll have to wait and see as usual, but I think some wild times are ahead with a moderately -QBO and the possible east based Nina coming into play later on down the road. If we can keep the blocking we've seen off and on over the last few months, we should be in good shape. Ensembles are liking the idea of a -NAO down the road so we'll have to wait and see.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tron777 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:34 am I believe that an east based Nina is better for blocking and for getting cold into the East versus a Central based one. It's the opposite in an El Nino, but for a Nina, that is the structure that you would want. I also still believe that it might bode well for the second half of winter since it could be becoming more east based. We'll have to wait and see as usual, but I think some wild times are ahead with a moderately -QBO and the possible east based Nina coming into play later on down the road. If we can keep the blocking we've seen off and on over the last few months, we should be in good shape. Ensembles are liking the idea of a -NAO down the road so we'll have to wait and see.
That's what I was thinking but was looking in my bookmarks to be sure , to add to your thoughts , I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that an EP LaNina more often than not, leads to a more poleward reaching ridge along the NAmerican coast
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:56 am
tron777 wrote: Mon Nov 15, 2021 7:34 am I believe that an east based Nina is better for blocking and for getting cold into the East versus a Central based one. It's the opposite in an El Nino, but for a Nina, that is the structure that you would want. I also still believe that it might bode well for the second half of winter since it could be becoming more east based. We'll have to wait and see as usual, but I think some wild times are ahead with a moderately -QBO and the possible east based Nina coming into play later on down the road. If we can keep the blocking we've seen off and on over the last few months, we should be in good shape. Ensembles are liking the idea of a -NAO down the road so we'll have to wait and see.
That's what I was thinking but was looking in my bookmarks to be sure , to add to your thoughts , I'm pretty sure I read somewhere that an EP LaNina more often than not, leads to a more poleward reaching ridge along the NAmerican coast
That is correct whereas if it's Central based, the North Pacific ridge tends to be more flat which would lead to a -PNA pattern and the SE ridge for us.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page