August 2024 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: August 2024 Weather Discussion

Post by tron777 »

91 now as of 1pm at CVG.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Seeing 97 around the tristate again for max’s so far , including cvg
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

96 for my high today. Currently getting dark and I can hear thunder. Not a drop yet. Worst of it is too my SW. Fingers crossed but I'll believe it when and if I see it. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Big time CG Lightning occurring but no rain as of yet. I should get hit good per radar.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

The lighting and thunder are very intense! The rain is not that heavy though which is good. Maybe some of it will try and soak in? So thankful it is raining!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Picked up about a third of an inch here. 0.67" at the Boone Co mesonet and only 0.11" at CVG. Temp went from the 90s now down to 73. Feels great outside! :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Evening and wow some rainfall. Today was a good lesson in where rain may fall as most places in the Ohio Valley had dew points lower than CVG and yes we got some rain. I saw the high of 94 at CVG but not sure if they made it to 95. One thing for sure the dew points should stay higher than earlier in the week for the next 2 days. Temps still hot but more like 92-94 seems correct. Early next week the Euro and GFS are several degrees different on high temps though both have less humid air. I am going with the GFS on this as I still believe a few days in the 70's and then warming up to normal later in the week but not expecting the humidity like we saw today.
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Best thunder and lightning storm in a looooong time IMBY. Will check the gauge when it slows down
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Glad to see some folks (esp Bgoney) get hit! :) CVG topped out at 96 per the 5pm climate report.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

1.80” in about an hour and fifteen minutes. By far my biggest rain in a while. My Dad near Owensville reported 2.25”
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Just mo but I believe the Slight risk was overdone through central OH into central IN. ;) Too much CAP e.g.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Eric

Greenville, OH
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

1945 UNK 1 WNW Devola Washington OH 3948 8148 Broadcast media provided viewer pictures of large limbs and a tree down. Time was estimated from radar. (RLX)

2135 UNK 2 ESE Melbourne Campbell KY 3902 8434 Several trees down along Mary Ingles Highway near Nine Mile Road. (ILN)

2139 UNK 2 SSE Crestview Campbell KY 3899 8440 Reports of numerous large trees down on Backus Drive. Some trees on homes. (ILN)

2159 UNK 1 N Memphis Clark IN 3850 8577 Delayed report. EM reported localized damage to a large metal garage structure at residence located on Biggs Rd between I-65 and US-31. (LMK)
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Wed Aug 28, 2024 9:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric

Greenville, OH
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

CVG reached 96, DAY 94 and CMH 97 today. CMH tied for the date from 1948!
Eric

Greenville, OH
Mjr
Rain Shower

Post by Mjr »

1.7 here
Serious lighting
It’s been awhile since I’ve had puddles in my yard
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 7:26 pm 1.80” in about an hour and fifteen minutes. By far my biggest rain in a while. My Dad near Owensville reported 2.25”
I saw where some folks SE of Cincy got 3-4" of rain. In Campbell Co there was some tree damage where trees fell on some houses. ILN will be conducting a survey today to see if it was straight line winds or a brief spin up.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Mjr wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 8:51 pm 1.7 here
Serious lighting
It’s been awhile since I’ve had puddles in my yard
That was the biggest take away for me. Big time lightning and thunder. It way outshined the wind and rain here. As you said, been a while for that.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Well folks, good morning! We have a 20-30% chance today and tomorrow as the mid 90s continue. Saturday looks like a nice chance ahead of the front for everyone! Then we'll be in the mid to upper 80s Sunday with dry conditions. The comfy air arrives for Labor Day on into next week.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Morning and see CVG hit 96 and with the higher dew point it felt like Florida. I got 0.67 inches of rain yesterday and that really help clear out some of the muggy air. Les your forecast has it pinned down and can't wait for the cooler and less humid air. Still going 92-94 today and also on Friday though anytime you are just southeast of a decent cold front temps can outperform so will keep it at 92-94 range and hoping a higher dew point and some clouds hold it down to that temp. Next week looks very typical of early September as we start the week out really nice and then warm up to near normal mid-week but it does look like another cold front later in the week or weekend. Still the tropics are not busy for the most part so these fronts imo will continue until we see a bigger uptick in the tropics.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Thanks Tim! did you see that more snow fell in parts of Canada and also in MT, Glacier National Park? :) We are slowly heading towards our favorite season. ;) I cannot wait until this heat wave is done. It sure is humid this morning! The air is very heavy and thick. 2 more nasty days to go before we slowly begin to improve.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 6:23 am Thanks Tim! did you see that more snow fell in parts of Canada and also in MT, Glacier National Park? :) We are slowly heading towards our favorite season. ;) I cannot wait until this heat wave is done. It sure is humid this morning! The air is very heavy and thick. 2 more nasty days to go before we slowly begin to improve.
I sure did Les and of course been watching Alaska has they head from summer to fall to winter in a short period of time. The 70's are gone there and won't be long before they get frost as their fall season can be very short.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 6:37 am
tron777 wrote: Thu Aug 29, 2024 6:23 am Thanks Tim! did you see that more snow fell in parts of Canada and also in MT, Glacier National Park? :) We are slowly heading towards our favorite season. ;) I cannot wait until this heat wave is done. It sure is humid this morning! The air is very heavy and thick. 2 more nasty days to go before we slowly begin to improve.
I sure did Les and of course been watching Alaska has they head from summer to fall to winter in a short period of time. The 70's are gone there and won't be long before they get frost as their fall season can be very short.
Yes Sir! :) We are also only about 2 weeks or so away from the Arctic summer ice melt season stopping and then the ice slowly accumulating and going back the other way. Mid Sept is typically the peak for the melting to stop.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

OV drought expansion continues, with a first ever D4 added in Ohio since drought monitors inception.

Abnormal dryness and moderate to extreme drought expanded in Ohio, with exceptional drought being added for the first time in the state’s USDM history. Abnormal dryness expanded in Iowa, Minnesota, and Illinois; abnormal dryness and moderate drought expanded in Missouri; abnormal dryness expanded and moderate drought developed in Indiana; and abnormal dryness and moderate to severe drought expanded in Kentucky. According to USGS data, the Hocking River at Enterprise, Ohio, measured the fifth lowest river level on record, and the lowest measurement ever (since 1997) at Hocking River at Athens. Other drought impact reports include pasture conditions rated poor to very poor with yields dropping to 36%, springs and private wells are running dry, creeks are dry with low ponds, soybeans are not filling pods, there is extensive tip-back in corn, and some farmers are chopping corn plants for feed or selling their cows. USDA statistics indicated that over 70% of the topsoil (75%) and subsoil (71%) was short or very short of moisture in Ohio, and over 40% was so rated in Indiana and Kentucky.

IMG_2131.jpeg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

The rain that we got yesterday will help a bit with the new D1 area that was introduced over NKY. We have a long way to go though esp for Ohio. The drought discussion indicated that about 70-75% of the top soil in Ohio was short on moisture and about 40% in KY. Hope to see everyone cash in on Saturday. Even though the extended range looks avg to below avg in temps, it also looks to be below avg in precip. I only see the drought getting worse in a lot of areas until we get the Fall rains going. Hope to see that soon. Sometimes it comes in October and other times in November. We'll just have to wait and see.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

House of Cards
Heavy Rain

Post by House of Cards »

tron777 wrote: Wed Aug 28, 2024 6:52 pm Glad to see some folks (esp Bgoney) get hit! :) CVG topped out at 96 per the 5pm climate report.
Glad you all got some, I got skunked over here. Good thing I've been running up my water bill, errr watering my lawn. :evil:
Located at intersection of Blue Rock Rd and I-275/SR 126 Hwy in Colerain
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page