August 2024 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: August 2024 Weather Discussion

Post by tron777 »

snowbo wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 8:44 am
tron777 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 8:08 amTest post...
After 21,000 posts? :lol:
LOL! The forum was down briefly this morning. Trev had to renew the domain again. I was just testing it to see if the forum was back up and running. We should be good to go now! :thumbsup:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Hey Les I see the forum was down this morning. My guess is you got so excited seeing frost advisories in southwest North Dakota that you spilled coffee over everything and the site went down.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 8:55 am Hey Les I see the forum was down this morning. My guess is you got so excited seeing frost advisories in southwest North Dakota that you spilled coffee over everything and the site went down.
:goodpost: :givemebeer:

We're back up now and ready to talk weather. It's just a shame that we have little to talk about for our local area lol
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Dews slowly continue to come down. Dews in the 50s are now over the Western 1/2 of IN headed in our direction. :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

The better dews should be here by this evening.

DewYouFeelLikeWeDew.gif
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

84 here today. It is really starting to feel nice out. I am going to throw in a small chance for rain on Monday,. GFS continues to have a higher chance versus the Euro which is way more isolated in nature. Then by Thurs and Fri, and really going into next weekend, I am beginning to see better rain chances develop with a slow moving low pressure system. No signs of any big heat coming our way or even 90+ for that matter over the next 7-10 days. For now, enjoy the C of C weekend that we have coming up! :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Incredible stats for Ohio TOR's this year. Per Local 12:

OhioTOR.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 8:53 am
snowbo wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 8:44 am
tron777 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 8:08 amTest post...
After 21,000 posts? :lol:
LOL! The forum was down briefly this morning. Trev had to renew the domain again. I was just testing it to see if the forum was back up and running. We should be good to go now! :thumbsup:
Always a BIG THANK YOU to Trevbuddy and his folks on keeping our wx community thriving! :thumbupleft:
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Fri Aug 09, 2024 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Eric

Greenville, OH
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Fri Aug 09, 2024 5:09 pm Incredible stats for Ohio TOR's this year. Per Local 12:

OhioTOR.jpg
I wonder how many occurred in Ohio during 1974?
Eric

Greenville, OH
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

CVG got to 85, DAY 82 and CMH 86 today.
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Sat Aug 10, 2024 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric

Greenville, OH
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Morning and we are off to the races in terms of beautiful weather. Not often to have a stretch in mid-August with below normal temps. So next week we see if we start to add rain chances with the mcs train though I believe this is short-lived and we hit a pattern that is more like early September. I say that because we have another tropical system that should form and head towards the USA but at the moment models show this missing the east coast as well. Two reasons and one the Bermuda High which continues to stay out to sea and the second reason is we may see another big trough over the central and eastern USA which also helps in keeping any tropical system over the ocean plus it gives us some cooler and maybe some rain during this period.

Will still need to watch the tropical system because it can become a bully like this past week and this can sort of jam up the pattern for a few days. Still like Les mentioned no extended heat in the forecast and maybe not even a 90 degree day for the next week or so. If we do get into a wetter than normal pattern then this can really put a hold on many 90 degree days the remainder of the season. Reason is nice vegetation,shorter amount of daylight hours and this is usually helps in keeping the heat away. Of course there is always a but and that is with tropical systems and especially with strong ones that can produce strong ridges and this can give us a few days of heat but at this time that looks unlikely in the near future
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

One other note and yesterday the average high for CVG dropped from 86 to 85. Good news Les
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 8:11 am One other note and yesterday the average high for CVG dropped from 86 to 85. Good news Les
Good morning Tim and yes it is! We've turned the corner now clearly headed in our favorite direction. We have plenty more summer to go as you know but it's nice to see the averages dropping now. :thumbsup:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I'll be enjoying the nice weekend in the car again. Getting ready to leave for St. Louis again to pick up Mom. Will be back sometime tomorrow. I do like what I am seeing for future rain chances though esp by Thursday. Decent chances for Thurs - next weekend at this time. Again, we do have a small chance on Monday but that wave of rain will be weakening as it comes in. You know how well we do with those events. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 8:28 am I'll be enjoying the nice weekend in the car again. Getting ready to leave for St. Louis again to pick up Mom. Will be back sometime tomorrow. I do like what I am seeing for future rain chances though esp by Thursday. Decent chances for Thurs - next weekend at this time. Again, we do have a small chance on Monday but that wave of rain will be weakening as it comes in. You know how well we do with those events. :lol:
Have a safe trip Les. At least 10 yrs since I was in St.Louis and waited outside for about 1 hour at a bbq place and temps near 100.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 8:31 am
tron777 wrote: Sat Aug 10, 2024 8:28 am I'll be enjoying the nice weekend in the car again. Getting ready to leave for St. Louis again to pick up Mom. Will be back sometime tomorrow. I do like what I am seeing for future rain chances though esp by Thursday. Decent chances for Thurs - next weekend at this time. Again, we do have a small chance on Monday but that wave of rain will be weakening as it comes in. You know how well we do with those events. :lol:
Have a safe trip Les. At least 10 yrs since I was in St.Louis and waited outside for about 1 hour at a bbq place and temps near 100.
Thanks Tim! It was in the mid to upper 90s last weekend with high humidity when I was there. I stayed in the A/C in the basement of my Aunts and Uncles house. It was much cooler. :lol: Should be much cooler this weekend, as the U70s to L80s are expected for highs.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Made it to St Louis. It's nice weather here too. We're going out to eat at a bbq place called Salt n Smoke. Then we'll walk around Main St in St Charles a while.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Both CVG / CMH reached 79 and DAY 76 today.
Eric

Greenville, OH
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

What a beautiful day on Saturday and we will repeat that today and Monday. Starting Tuesday some humidity will try and creep back in the picture but at a slow pace and that should continue through the week and then we may see temps get back to normal but nothing that shows any extended heat. Does that mean the heat or lets say 90 degrees or higher is over and the answer is no and one reason is the south central states look to get into a nice heat wave that could last for 2-3 weeks and maybe longer. So there will be at times a push of this heat towards the north and east and many times this will lead to a boundary that has some showers and thundershowers involved. Also with the tropics getting busy this can also push more tropical heat northward at times. Enjoy the next 3 days as its wonderful for mid-August and even by the end of the week not bad for this time of year. We could use some rain locally and yes some chances but nothing at the moment that shows widespread rainfall and hopefully that boundary will be close enough to us later in the week to bring better chances but you are playing with fire when this happens because if the push of warmer air wins out you may get a day or two with rain but the 90's will try and force their way in but that does not seem to be the case this week but by the 3rd week of August we will need to look at the pattern once again.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

A nice morning here in STL too. Glad that the weather is quiet for the drive back.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Oklahoma City has got over 6 inches of rain this morning and still raining. Had a small piece of energy crossing the state plus two air masses collide and you can get an area that gets hammered. They average a little over 3 inches a year in August but similar to many parts of the country August and September can have big totals because of tropical air but also dry heat that gives little rain. So 3 inches is the norm but very seldom plays out that way
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

I hadn’t realized how extensive the severe outbreak was for NE Ohio on Tuesday. Impressive anytime of the year, let alone August

https://www.weather.gov/cle/event_20240 ... ereweather
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Bgoney wrote: Sun Aug 11, 2024 1:57 pm I hadn’t realized how extensive the severe outbreak was for NE Ohio on Tuesday. Impressive anytime of the year, let alone August

https://www.weather.gov/cle/event_20240 ... ereweather
Rather intense. Normally the biggest severe outbreak in August is from the northern plains to the northeast as the jet sometimes works its way into the northern USA. So this area does have a higher chance than say us this time of year that was pretty wild on Tuesday. When I look at severe weather in August besides tropical systems I look at Woodstock and the storm they had
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I'm back home now! 78 for my high today, that was it. CVG managed to hit 79. Doesn't get much better for August! Look for a refreshing night again in the 50s with a nice day to kick off the work week around 80 or so.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page