July 2024 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tpweather
Hurricane

Re: July 2024 Weather Discussion

Post by tpweather »

Good Morning and still not a drop yet. Many folks getting in on the rain but as usual this season no rain yet. Rain breeds rain and drought breeds drought and here in central Kenton County rainfall is tough to get. Hopefully we get a touch of rain before this moves out this morning. I see CVG already has .20 which I would take in a heartbeat
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 6:50 am Good Morning and still not a drop yet. Many folks getting in on the rain but as usual this season no rain yet. Rain breeds rain and drought breeds drought and here in central Kenton County rainfall is tough to get. Hopefully we get a touch of rain before this moves out this morning. I see CVG already has .20 which I would take in a heartbeat
CVG now checking in with 0.28". Amazing Tim that you are so close to where I live and yet you got nothing. Wow....
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 7:13 am
tpweather wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 6:50 am Good Morning and still not a drop yet. Many folks getting in on the rain but as usual this season no rain yet. Rain breeds rain and drought breeds drought and here in central Kenton County rainfall is tough to get. Hopefully we get a touch of rain before this moves out this morning. I see CVG already has .20 which I would take in a heartbeat
CVG now checking in with 0.28". Amazing Tim that you are so close to where I live and yet you got nothing. Wow....
Good Morning Les and you can see it on the radar as well. The ground is so dry out here and even the birds that usually come out in the evening to get food from the ground have not been out in a few weeks as the ground is just to dry for them to get some of the worms. Almost 730am and still not one drop though I can feel the humidity in the air.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 7:27 am
tron777 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 7:13 am
Good Morning Les and you can see it on the radar as well. The ground is so dry out here and even the birds that usually come out in the evening to get food from the ground have not been out in a few weeks as the ground is just to dry for them to get some of the worms. Almost 730am and still not one drop though I can feel the humidity in the air.
Good morning Tim. It's even raining lightly here in Mason at the office. Your Dome is much stronger even then mine! :lol: I can see a small gap right over Central Kenton Co unfortunately. You might get a touch as the rain leaves the area (dust settler). CVG now checking in with 0.34" and that could be the final total for this round.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Hey Les I probably need to wash my car in the next few minutes as that seems to bring rain every time
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 7:42 am Hey Les I probably need to wash my car in the next few minutes as that seems to bring rain every time
I watered my plants yesterday and ended up getting a few sprinkles yesterday afternoon so even that can help sometimes lol
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Les you look at the radar loop and it looks like the parting of the red sea. Rain stays to the north and south of my area.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

I can report a few sprinkles though not enough to get the entire patio wet
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 7:58 am Les you look at the radar loop and it looks like the parting of the red sea. Rain stays to the north and south of my area.
I saw it Tim. That is normally my luck too until today.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Finally enough rain to cover the patio. May end up with 0.0000000000000001 before all is said and done lol
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good thing is we are keeping the 90's away for the entire week. Like Bgoney mentioned the other day the most likely area for rain during the week is south and east so this mornings rain was nice for most lol. Models are showing ridging to take control over the northern USA in the next week to 10 days and this is when you start to look for tropical activity in the GOM. Models are slow to show this but no doubt a pattern in the past that seems to increase the chance for something to develop and that can even be with a dying cold front. Cape Verde season is still several weeks away and does it make up for lost time
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

0.36" as of 8am at CVG. I am thinking late this month and into August that the 90s may try and make a comeback. If they don't by that time, then after 8/10 there are indications of the tropics waking up as you would expect to see in August. The point I am trying to make is that I think the 90s will be coming back, it's just a question of when. So we need to cash in with the rain while we have the current pattern this week in place. Easier said then done of course. Hopefully Tim, you will cash in this week. We will have chances thru Thursday.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

0.43" was the final total at the Boone Co mesonet site. Wonderful news for my area. Sorry to hear about your area not cashing in though Tim. I can confirm too with official obs. I found a site near you, Ryland Heights which got zero. Crittenden just to your south got 0.11" and Ft Wright to your north got 0.18"
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

As far as future rain chances go this week... I am still going with scattered activity possible. Thursday maybe our best chance with the passage of a cold front.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:11 am 0.43" was the final total at the Boone Co mesonet site. Wonderful news for my area. Sorry to hear about your area not cashing in though Tim. I can confirm too with official obs. I found a site near you, Ryland Heights which got zero. Crittenden just to your south got 0.11" and Ft Wright to your north got 0.18"
Les a whopping 0.01 for this round and hope for more especially Wednesday and Thursday. Like you mentioned Les I expect 90's to return but will this be a long stretch of 90's or just a 90 or 91 here and there. Not sure and it will be interesting to see how this plays out once the tropics get busy. Looking forward to the end of August because we usually start to see those 60's for highs in the northern plains and then you know fall is right around the corner.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 12:17 pm
tron777 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 10:11 am 0.43" was the final total at the Boone Co mesonet site. Wonderful news for my area. Sorry to hear about your area not cashing in though Tim. I can confirm too with official obs. I found a site near you, Ryland Heights which got zero. Crittenden just to your south got 0.11" and Ft Wright to your north got 0.18"
Les a whopping 0.01 for this round and hope for more especially Wednesday and Thursday. Like you mentioned Les I expect 90's to return but will this be a long stretch of 90's or just a 90 or 91 here and there. Not sure and it will be interesting to see how this plays out once the tropics get busy. Looking forward to the end of August because we usually start to see those 60's for highs in the northern plains and then you know fall is right around the corner.
I agree Tim. As mentioned, I am going scattered for tomorrow and Wed with the best chance on Thurs with the cold front. Then we get a few dry days with warming temps back towards 90 by Sunday or Monday of next week. I am thinking that the 90s return esp when the tropics heat up on the Atlantic side as they typically help to pump up the Bermuda high. I hope I am wrong however with that thought process. We shall see as always! Speaking of Fall being around the corner, I started our new winter thoughts thread discussing La Nina and a few other things so check it out when time permits. Hopefully, we can get a nice discussion going in the weeks and months to come.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good afternoon all.... 85 here today, CVG topped out at 84. Still looking at scattered activity thru Thurs before dry conditions settle in behind the front. The next chance for rain comes late Sun or Sun night depending on how the timing works out, with those chances continuing into early next week. Unless something changes, I still do not see any widespread soaking rains for the region. Some will get wet, others will not. Pretty much the story of most summers in the OV.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

mrizzo80
Rain Shower

Post by mrizzo80 »

It just rained an absurd amount in Anderson Township over the last 45 minutes.

Is this a good site to see how much? I don’t have any instruments like some forum members do.

https://www.weather.gov/iln/rainfall-monitoring
Wxlrnr
Heavy Rain

Post by Wxlrnr »

Picked up just under a quarter inch this morning, tonight about the same over a quarter, so half of an inch today.
Hyde Park, Cincinnati.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

CVG got to 84, DAY 83 CMH 82 on Mon.
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Eric

Greenville, OH
airwolf76
EF0 Tornado

Post by airwolf76 »

getting a bit of rain overnight. around a half inch. it hasn't been all that dry here but a bit below average so far for the summer. the temps have been above average for the last month though
22'/23' snowfall > 11"
23'/24' snowfall > 19.5"
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

mrizzo80 wrote: Mon Jul 22, 2024 9:56 pm It just rained an absurd amount in Anderson Township over the last 45 minutes.

Is this a good site to see how much? I don’t have any instruments like some forum members do.

https://www.weather.gov/iln/rainfall-monitoring
That works ! Also, I like to use the Meso West Data site from the Univ of Utah. You can click on the desired state and see the data from ILN reporting stations as well as other networks. Wind, precip, temps, etc.

This link is for Ohio.

https://mesowest.utah.edu/cgi-bin/droma ... rawsflag=3
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good morning all! We shall see what happens thru Thurs as far as our rain chances go. Some will get hit, others will not. The usual... Then we are dry Thurs night thru Sat. The timing of the next front is speeding up so we ma need POPS for late Sunday into early next week. For temps... mainly in the 80s but a 90 degree reading is also possible by Monday of next week.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Great Post Les and though I play golf on Thursday afternoon that time period looks to have a nice chance of showers and storms as the front is near us. Looking ahead and the pattern is stuck where we get warm and humid with chances of rain and then a cold front comes through to give us relief from the humidity for a few days before we ramp up chances for rain once again. This will take us into August so really not so bad in terms of summer heat
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Tue Jul 23, 2024 6:22 am Great Post Les and though I play golf on Thursday afternoon that time period looks to have a nice chance of showers and storms as the front is near us. Looking ahead and the pattern is stuck where we get warm and humid with chances of rain and then a cold front comes through to give us relief from the humidity for a few days before we ramp up chances for rain once again. This will take us into August so really not so bad in terms of summer heat
Tim.... late this month and into Aug, if the fantasy GFS is right, we may get back into a NW flow type of pattern where a boundary is stuck on top of us and we'd be prone to MCS's if correct. Would love to see that come to fruition.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page