December 2023 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: December 2023 Weather Discussion

Post by tron777 »

Good morning all and Happy Friday! Last work day for me until 1/2/24. :thumbsup: A nice day today until rain showers move in late into Sat. Then a dry Christmas Eve with 60 degrees. Renewed rain for Christmas Day as well as into Tues of next week. Then, the pattern turns progressively colder and we may see some light snow sometime in the Dec 28-30th time period. We look to turn much colder by NYE and NYD with winter storms TBD in 2024. Stay tuned my friends! :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 4:42 am Good morning all and Happy Friday! Last work day for me until 1/2/24. :thumbsup: A nice day today until rain showers move in late into Sat. Then a dry Christmas Eve with 60 degrees. Renewed rain for Christmas Day as well as into Tues of next week. Then, the pattern turns progressively colder and we may see some light snow sometime in the Dec 28-30th time period. We look to turn much colder by NYE and NYD with winter storms TBD in 2024. Stay tuned my friends! :)
Good Morning Les and happy Friday and expect tons of posting next week lol. I leave for Wisconsin on Tuesday so a rainy drive to say the least. Will be back on the 30th. Should be able to post some but not sure how busy I will be with the grandkids. No doubt a better pattern shaping up plus a busy one as well. The STJ is going to be busy and we just need the polar jet to merge several times over the next 2 months. When do we finally get the cold and stormy January and lets hope 2024 is the year.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good morning Tim! I don't see any big snow or ice storms yet, but as we discussed before, they will not show up in the extended range very well in this set up. If they do, then don't fall for the trap. I do feel as if we could see some light snow around the 28-30th period though. That does keep showing up with a shortwave dropping into the trough from Canada. Maybe another little something around New Year's as well per the Euro and especially CMC. Otherwise, as I keep indicating, it's a low confidence forecast. I think the overall pattern is gaining confidence but where the low confidence resides is what actually happens at the surface.

I still believe that we see ridging in NW Canada and Alaska towards the end of the month and into January. It won't be arctic cold for us obviously, but air cold enough for wintry weather to occur? You betcha! :) Overall, I still like what I am seeing with regards to the Tellies, MJO phase, and potential SSW or at least a weakening of the PV in the extended range. I do believe it will be a serviceable pattern coming up for snow lovers. For now, we watch and wait and enjoy Christmas with our families.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tron777 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:23 am Good morning Tim! I don't see any big snow or ice storms yet, but as we discussed before, they will not show up in the extended range very well in this set up. If they do, then don't fall for the trap. I do feel as if we could see some light snow around the 28-30th period though. That does keep showing up with a shortwave dropping into the trough from Canada. Maybe another little something around New Year's as well per the Euro and especially CMC. Otherwise, as I keep indicating, it's a low confidence forecast. I think the overall pattern is gaining confidence but where the low confidence resides is what actually happens at the surface.

I still believe that we see ridging in NW Canada and Alaska towards the end of the month and into January. It won't be arctic cold for us obviously, but air cold enough for wintry weather to occur? You betcha! :) Overall, I still like what I am seeing with regards to the Tellies, MJO phase, and potential SSW or at least a weakening of the PV in the extended range. I do believe it will be a serviceable pattern coming up for snow lovers. For now, we watch and wait and enjoy Christmas with our families.
Excellent post Les, plenty of things pointing in the right direction in the long range that should keep us in an extended period of at least normalish temps for the first half of January .
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:28 am
tron777 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 6:23 am Good morning Tim! I don't see any big snow or ice storms yet, but as we discussed before, they will not show up in the extended range very well in this set up. If they do, then don't fall for the trap. I do feel as if we could see some light snow around the 28-30th period though. That does keep showing up with a shortwave dropping into the trough from Canada. Maybe another little something around New Year's as well per the Euro and especially CMC. Otherwise, as I keep indicating, it's a low confidence forecast. I think the overall pattern is gaining confidence but where the low confidence resides is what actually happens at the surface.

Excellent post Les, plenty of things pointing in the right direction in the long range that should keep us in an extended period of at least normalish temps for the first half of January .
Thank you Sir! I do like the 1st week or two of January for sure for something a little more meaningful to occur. It could easily be a swing and a miss and it impacts the Mid Atlantic or the East Coast but at the same time, I could also see an inverted trough or a Miller A type of deal. Both of those set ups can certainly help us out in the snow dept. One thing is for certain, with an active STJ, it won't be dry and cold IMO.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Morning. Of course so many things across the world we look at and also closer to home for any upcoming changes. Over the years I have noticed that before a decent pattern change dense fog becomes an issue especially in the northern and central plains and upper mid-west. Why this happens some years makes sense become they may have snow on the ground already and with a pattern change many times you will have the warm up before and warm over cold ground can produce fog. This year very little snow cover in those areas but we are starting to see dense fog watches and warnings. Starting to see those watches and warnings and to me its a good sign.

I mentioned how in my local backyard the bird migration was less than normal and also about 2-3 weeks behind schedule. I know very little about this topic but if the warmth over the northern plains,upper mid-west and southern Canada caused the birds to relax before heading south that could be a reason but again this topic is one I am only guessing and just throwing that topic out there.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

12Z NAM has some light shower activity tonight into the first part of Saturday then dry and mild until midday Christmas Day when the more widespread and steadier rain arrives.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

12Z GFS keeps most of the light rain tonight and Sat north and west of us and skirts our local area midday to early Sat afternoon. Not much precip at all of this scenario is right. Then on Christmas Day, the timing of the better rainfall comes in by late morning to midday.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tron777 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:51 am 12Z GFS keeps most of the light rain tonight and Sat north and west of us and skirts our local area midday to early Sat afternoon. Not much precip at all of this scenario is right. Then on Christmas Day, the timing of the better rainfall comes in by late morning to midday.
I like qpf totals through Christmas of .25”-.75” for the tri- cities . Similar to other events we’ve had , the better moisture follows the low and leftover moisture out of the GOM is limited into the OV
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:39 am
tron777 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 10:51 am 12Z GFS keeps most of the light rain tonight and Sat north and west of us and skirts our local area midday to early Sat afternoon. Not much precip at all of this scenario is right. Then on Christmas Day, the timing of the better rainfall comes in by late morning to midday.
I like qpf totals through Christmas of .25”-.75” for the tri- cities . Similar to other events we’ve had , the better moisture follows the low and leftover moisture out of the GOM is limited into the OV
I posted a half inch or less the other day so we're on the same page for sure.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

12Z CMC looks interesting for ULL / wrap around snow the night of the 28th and into the 29th.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

The Fantasy 12Z GFS throws us a bone around 1/5. Of course that is too far away to be believable but the pattern does look nice. :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:42 am
Bgoney wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 11:39 am
I posted a half inch or less the other day so we're on the same page for sure.
I agree about rain totals and again the .25- .75 seems correct. As we know most of this season models have overestimated rain totals the week before only to lower about 24-36 hours ahead of time. They do tend to regain strength over the east coast though.

Concerning the extended and we will see quite a bit of change on each run as they try to figure out the new pattern. Always takes time and usually we see this in early December but again the cold air on this side of the planet is lagging.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

The 12Z Euro so far is mainly cold and dry. I suppose that is possible but i tend to think that the cold isn't going to be as strong as the Euro shows so a GFS / CMC solution as it stands right now, would make more sense to me.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Les the good thing is a storm system in the central plains heading up into Canada and this will no doubt help in bringing down some colder air. Once we get the ridging over the west up into western Canada and eastern Alaska then we can start pulling colder air from different areas plus we may be able to get a cross polar flow early in January
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 2:05 pm Les the good thing is a storm system in the central plains heading up into Canada and this will no doubt help in bringing down some colder air. Once we get the ridging over the west up into western Canada and eastern Alaska then we can start pulling colder air from different areas plus we may be able to get a cross polar flow early in January
No doubt Tim and with an active STJ, we should have some stuff to track here soon! Would love to see some light snow while on vacation. Hoping the CMC has a good handle on that upper low I posted on earlier. That would be pretty cool to see to get things started in the right direction.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

CVG reached 51, DAY 48 and CMH 47 today.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

52 here today.

The Happy Hour GFS showed a long duration winter storm from the 5-7th of Jan, something of which we have not seen for a long time. It is still fantasy range of course but you just never know with this new pattern coming up. I am actually optimistic. I'm not saying we'll get a 2-3 day snow storm out of the deal, but I absolutely think some wintry weather is becoming increasingly likely.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I can't believe I am saying this but a lot of the Ensemble Guidance is supporting something good in the 1st week of January. The 18Z GEFS shows a workable pattern. Note how the -EPO ridge is there poking itself well up into the North Pole. You can also see the STJ undercutting the ridging.

18Z GEFS Jan1.png

The 12Z EPS also looking very good for the Jan 4-6th period. This is also a very nice look with ridging poking up into the North Pole and the PV over Hudson's Bay and NOT over in Siberia like it is now.

EPS at 500 MB.png
EPS 850 Termps.png
EPS QPF.png
EPS 850 Temps2.png
EPS QPF2.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

The MJO models are still showing a tour thru the colder phases 8-1-2 late this month and into early January. There is a lot to like folks in the next few weeks once we get past the Christmas time period. Hang in there!!!! :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

dce
EF5 Tornado

Post by dce »

tron777 wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 7:00 pm The MJO models are still showing a tour thru the colder phases 8-1-2 late this month and into early January. There is a lot to like folks in the next few weeks once we get past the Christmas time period. Hang in there!!!! :)
I hope this isn't Lucy pulling the football away just before the kick. I really don't think so though. This new pattern looks to be legit. We have seen model agreement for a very long time regarding this pattern change. And for once the pattern seems to be getting better the closer we get. I really like how the jet stream is being modeled as very active. I really do not believe we will be cold and dry with this upcoming pattern. I haven't been this optimistic for a very long time concerning winter weather threats. Januarys have been very mild lately compared to average. We talk about the warm Decembers we have had over the last decade. Januarys have been pretty mild, relative to average, over the last several years as well. February and March have been the only winter months we have had any consistency in below average temps. And they really haven't been all that much below normal. Probably just average, but with how mild the first half of our winters have been, those months have seemed colder because they have been closer to average. We are definitely far overdue for a below average temperature and above average snowfall January.
Doug

Huber Heights
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Evening and great post tonight. What we have seen this December is the coldest air in Europe to start then heads to Asia and maybe we are next in line. What has been common though is the STJ that goes around the world and we have seen huge snow storms on the southern edge of these cold outbreaks. My guess that will continue but how far south will the cold air go and this is without a PV split.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tpweather wrote: Fri Dec 22, 2023 8:58 pm Good Evening and great post tonight. What we have seen this December is the coldest air in Europe to start then heads to Asia and maybe we are next in line. What has been common though is the STJ that goes around the world and we have seen huge snow storms on the southern edge of these cold outbreaks. My guess that will continue but how far south will the cold air go and this is without a PV split.
Just to add a little more info the models will have a hard time seeing a big storm because of the split polar jet and stj. My guess some of the bigger storms will happen about 3-4 days after the models see the two getting together. We will just need to watch each system and see what kind of energy they have and then go from there. The longer term models for sometime have been showing the upcoming pattern but its always a little scary with each passing week but many other things are starting to line up. Will this mean tons of snow and again that is always tough to call and sometimes you get lucky and sometime not so much
Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

Jan 4-6 timeframe is on my radar for a potential winter storm in the region. Sent out the early alert to my followers about it yesterday.
Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good morning to you all! Grab a cup of coffee and let's get talking weather! :) Some rain showers this morning as we have expected but they won't last all day. Tomorrow is a beautiful day in the 60+ degree range with dry conditions. Rainy on Christmas Day as we have discussed. Then things get more interesting not long after that. We should see a few rain and snow showers Thurs and Thurs night but as colder air moves in with the next upper low swinging thru the region, the snow shower potential for Friday the 29th is looking halfway decent! Even the Ensembles are starting to pick up on what the CMC has been showing. The GFS and Euro also. If this holds, some light snow accumulations are certainly possible with this little system.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page