September 2023 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Re: September 2023 Weather Discussion

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:43 am
MVWxObserver wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:37 am
tron777 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:34 am
MVWxObserver wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:32 am Will be nice for all of us in general to get more than just a ground wetter this week. :)
Absolutely! It's pretty crunchy and dusty out there. As Tim mentioned a few days ago, hopefully we see enough rain to do a nice rinse job on the atmosphere for allergy sufferers. (Like me lol)
Same here Bro. I take a daily Zyrtec and used to get allergy shots in NC but those injections got to be a hassle after a while. ;)
Benadryl here. :lol:
Another great reliever, too! :)
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

MVWxObserver wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 11:32 am Will be nice for all of us in general to get more than just a ground wetter this week. :)
Absolutely! It's pretty crunchy and dusty out there. As Tim mentioned a few days ago, hopefully we see enough rain to do a nice rinse job on the atmosphere for allergy sufferers. (Like me lol)
Same here Bro. I take a daily Zyrtec and used to get allergy shots in NC but those injections got to be a hassle after a while. ;)
Yes I take Zyrtec. Benadryl puts me right to sleep. My wife takes it but some reason it knocks me out completely.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

The gfs shows a decent amount of rainfall but heaviest to the southeast. The CMC though has the heavier band right over the local area. Again my guess the Euro will show a different area with the heaviest rainfall
winterstormjoe
EF0 Tornado

Post by winterstormjoe »

tpweather wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:00 pm
Yes I take Zyrtec. Benadryl puts me right to sleep. My wife takes it but some reason it knocks me out completely.
Sometimes I use Benadryl just to get to sleep at night. Lol I can't wait for some rain to clear the air as all this dust is killing my allergies...My eyes and nose are the worse!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good afternoon folks... Thanks Tim for posting about the GFS and CMC models in terms of rainfall for this week's system. I checked the 12Z GEFS Mean and it has around 0.80" for our I-70 and SE Crew with 0.60" for the rest of the area (Cincy Metro and Indy counties).

Speaking of the OP GFS, the new 12Z run does not have the +PNA pattern on this run so our thoughts on this being delayed looks to be correct. You can see the low off the SE Coast meandering around for a bit which is a big reason why the trough stays out West and we continue to see ridging in the OV. So far so good on our long term thoughts.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

LOL @ the 12Z Euro giving CVG 1.75" of rain. Nice to dream though... :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:00 pm LOL @ the 12Z Euro giving CVG 1.75" of rain. Nice to dream though... :lol:
Les that is similar to the CMC. Not saying we get that much but somebody in the Ohio Valley will get over and inch but exactly where is another forecasting issue. Good to know last week the Euro either Wed or Thurs showed 0.00 and today 1.75. Yes I understand it was a week away but when I see a met and not mentioning names go on the air and say we could go 2 weeks with no rain is not a good look to folks who pay attention. One thing if in the middle of a heat wave and no systems nearby and the call seems okay but with what I was seeing last week and systems coming into the west coast and moving across the country still holding their strength no way could I throw that no rain was possible. I admit I lowered my totals last week and got caught up to much in the models but never was going with zero chance of rainfall. Enough of the rant and will save that for tonight during the Bengals game
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:14 pm
tron777 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:00 pm LOL @ the 12Z Euro giving CVG 1.75" of rain. Nice to dream though... :lol:
Les that is similar to the CMC. Not saying we get that much but somebody in the Ohio Valley will get over and inch but exactly where is another forecasting issue. Good to know last week the Euro either Wed or Thurs showed 0.00 and today 1.75. Yes I understand it was a week away but when I see a met and not mentioning names go on the air and say we could go 2 weeks with no rain is not a good look to folks who pay attention. One thing if in the middle of a heat wave and no systems nearby and the call seems okay but with what I was seeing last week and systems coming into the west coast and moving across the country still holding their strength no way could I throw that no rain was possible. I admit I lowered my totals last week and got caught up to much in the models but never was going with zero chance of rainfall. Enough of the rant and will save that for tonight during the Bengals game
I'm still going with 0.50" for us down here and up to an inch definitely possible for our northern posters. Could the band of an inch change locations? Certainly could but that is my call for now.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:40 pm
I'm still going with 0.50" for us down here and up to an inch definitely possible for our northern posters. Could the band of an inch change locations? Certainly could but that is my call for now.
Hey Les sticking with the .5-1 inch at this moment. I have noticed that the models are trending with higher totals to the south as well with much of Kentucky getting closer to the 1/2 inch mark and the gfs is showing higher totals for the eastern 1/3 of the state. Hopefully by this time on Tuesday we can narrow it down but the trend is going higher with totals, more widespread with 1/2 inch of rain and like you mentioned some models really hit us big. Again the Euro on its next run may have us at 0.75 and have Dayton at 1.75.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:55 pm
tron777 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 3:40 pm
Hey Les sticking with the .5-1 inch at this moment. I have noticed that the models are trending with higher totals to the south as well with much of Kentucky getting closer to the 1/2 inch mark and the gfs is showing higher totals for the eastern 1/3 of the state. Hopefully by this time on Tuesday we can narrow it down but the trend is going higher with totals, more widespread with 1/2 inch of rain and like you mentioned some models really hit us big. Again the Euro on its next run may have us at 0.75 and have Dayton at 1.75.
Definitely Tim! The trends in the data have been very positive for most folks. Some guidance has decent action later on Tues but I am not so sure as some of that activity will go to moistening up the atmosphere for Wed / Wed night. I think Wed is our time to shine so to speak. Lingering action also possible on Thurs.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Water Vapor loop shows our system as a nice looking upper low over MN. (Link is time sensitive)

https://www.accuweather.com/en/us/national/satellite-wv

Radar currently shows bands of showers and t-storms over MN, Wisc, becoming more scattered over ILL. The upper low will slowly move SE and drop into the OV by Wednesday and Wednesday night. This is where our weather will be coming from with this next system that we are tracking.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

I believe we have 4 chances of rainfall starting overnight Tuesday into Wednesday morning and that is when the LLJ may produce some heavier rain in places. The 2nd chance is Wednesday afternoon and of course if we have clouds and rain earlier in the morning it may be less of a threat but still a threat. 3rd chance overnight Wed into early Thursday morning with another chance that LLJ kicks into gear. 4th is during the day on Thursday where we may try and rinse out the sponge and get a few leftover showers. Hopefully everyone gets at least 2 of the 4 but would love some folks to hit all four chances.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

A wonderful AFD from the boys regarding our next system. I have not had to post one of these in a while. :lol:

.SHORT TERM /6 AM TUESDAY MORNING THROUGH TUESDAY NIGHT/...
A mid level low will pivot down out of the upper Mississippi
Valley and toward the Ohio Valley Tuesday into Tuesday night.
An initial mid level vort lobe rotating around the low will
lift northeast across our area Tuesday afternoon into Tuesday
evening. As it does, scattered showers and a few thunderstorms
will be possible, mainly across northwest portions of our area
through the afternoon. A better chance for showers and a few
thunderstorms will then overspread our area from the northwest
later Tuesday night as better forcing develops in association with
the actual low. Highs on Tuesday will range from the mid 70s
northeast to the lower 80s across our far southwest. Lows
Tuesday night will be in the upper 50s to lower 60s.

&&

.LONG TERM /WEDNESDAY THROUGH MONDAY/...
Focus in this timeframe will most certainly be on Wednesday-Thursday
as there is a high confidence signal of dry/quiet/warm weather for
Friday-Monday. In fact, temperatures into the 80s will be possible
under sunny skies Saturday-Monday.

Back to Wednesday-Thursday...on Wednesday morning a
persistent/compact/closed low will be near Chicago and arcs/bands of
showers and storms will likely be ongoing on the east/southeast side
of this circulation where thickness diffluence and moist
southwesterly inflow will combine with the approaching upper trough
to produce slowly migrating bands of showers and storms. Confidence
is not overly high amidst a higher background signal of strong
forcing and ample moisture - on how this activity and residual cloud
cover in the morning will limit/redistribute instability through the
day. Forecast soundings valid 27.18Z - 28.00Z across most of the
ILN forecast area indicates an airmass that should quite readily
develop new shower/thunderstorm activity with any boundary layer
heating . Seasonably cool temperatures aloft underneath the upper
trough will steepen tropospheric lapse rates /both low and mid-
level/ and this...combined with plenty of moisture...should foster
the development of areas of showers and storms...peaking at the top
of the diurnal heating cycle in the afternoon/early evening.

By Thursday morning the closed low will only be near Toledo/Fort
Wayne, so it will be a very slow progression of forcing thus higher
rain chances are warranted into Thursday as well for the same
reasons, although with convective overturning and some weakening of
the compact closed low, it is expected that coverage on Thursday
will be further east/south and a little less than coverage on
Wednesday afternoon and evening. That being said, there is enough
ensemble certainty of the tempo of the upper low, and various storm
outflows and/or surface troughs attendant to the feature, that
makes refined higher or lower rain chance areas more difficult
at this time. So chances are a little broad right now, and
probably a little too high in some areas and too low in others.

For impacts...both afternoons will offer some limited potential for
a stronger updraft given the steep lapse rates/stronger forcing.
Given these cooler temps aloft, small hail will be possible in most
stronger updrafts, and a rogue severe hailer or two seems possible.
Additionally, if a weak surface trough can focus a line segment or
two at peak heating when lapse rates are the steepest, a few
damaging gusts will be possible as well, but it is noted that
beneath the upper trough low level flow and shear are awfully weak.
That being said, overall southeasterly component of the low level
flow underneath weak-moderate southwesterly flow in the mid levels,
does offer weak hodograph curvature and the opportunity for a
transient weak supercell structure or two for a more robust storm in
a higher-end instability setup (shown most possibly - as usual - in
NAM soundings on Wednesday on the west side of the ILN forecast
area).

But given the very slow progression of surface/upper air features,
and the potential for slow moving arcs/bands of storms, short term
runoff issues may also be on the table in isolated fashion despite
very dry antecedent conditions. Moist southwesterly low level inflow
into a persistent surface trough would be a setup where this could
occur, but confidence in any location/timing just isn`t there right
now. But it is noted that EPS/NBM probabilities for 1" rain/24 hours
keep going up over the ILN CWA which may be manifestation of more
localized heavier amounts and/or coverage of storms.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

That is nice to see Les and they were just watching our posts today lol.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

I know my son up in Wausau got another 1/2 inch of rainfall today so these systems are potent enough to put out some decent rainfall. Lets hope everything falls into place and never easy getting inch of rain in September without a tropical system or a strong push from the GOM but maybe this time Mother Nature decides its time to balance things up once again.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

18Z HRRR, which stops at 2pm Wed, has around 0.30" for CVG. Once you get towards I-70, 0.50 to 0.75" for most folks.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Mon Sep 25, 2023 4:35 pm 18Z HRRR, which stops at 2pm Wed, has around 0.30" for CVG. Once you get towards I-70, 0.50 to 0.75" for most folks.
I saw that and they have the overnight LLJ just to the northwest of us heading into the I-70 area especially around Dayton but we are still on the southern end so hopefully we get some out of that time period.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Hope the models continue the upward trend of rainfall. Will be back on Tuesday and hopefully after a win tonight
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

18Z NAM which stops at 1am Thurs night, shows the heaviest action now across our southern counties in KY with up to 1.5" possible! Up to 1/2" for folks north of the River. So anyway, model solutions will continue to bounce around with regards to where the heaviest rains occur.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

79 at CVG today, 78 here.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

18Z GFS is coming in with 0.42" at CVG.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

snowbo
EF0 Tornado

Post by snowbo »

Most people win a contest and go to Disneyland. I, on the other hand, win a contest and go camping in Wisconsin. Really nice looking squall line exiting Minnesota entering Wisconsin tonight hoping for a few claps of thunder and some heavy rain while laying in my little camper tonight. No hail please!
Brookville, Ohio
Northwest Montgomery county
I70 Corridor
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

CVG reached 79, DAY 71 and CMH 70. Well, we know where there was more sunshine on Mon. ;)
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

The inhouse model on WHIO7 on the late Mon news showed only around a quarter inch for here in G'ville. Better than nothing of course although I'd like to toss whatever model that is. ;) I believe that model is under performing in this case given what Les, Tim, and others have posted on Mon re this next system.

Congrats to the Bengals as they got their 1st win of the season beating their former SB opponent! :twisted: 8-)
wxpatriot
Rain Shower

Post by wxpatriot »

Yes, and this is why I get my weather on this forum. Oh, and good job on saving some of your rant for the Bengals game! Great win!
Ron