August 2023 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: August 2023 Weather Discussion

Post by tron777 »

MVWxObserver wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:19 pm
tron777 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:06 pm
MVWxObserver wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 1:34 pm
tron777 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:29 am Good morning all! 58 here this morning! So refreshing! Enjoy today and tomorrow folks. 90 for Sunday. Then low 90s to maybe even the mid 90s at times thru at least the end of next week. No rain expected until perhaps next Saturday.
At least fans won't be sweltering via the GAB (minus Sun) as the Redlegs have a 10 game western road trip next week. ;)
My Brother got free tickets for tonight's game and he and his wife are going as part of their 11th Wedding Anniv. It should be a beautiful evening for baseball or for anything outdoors. :thumbsup:
Hi Les,

Congratulations to Larry and Kate on their 11th! 8-)

Tonight's Redlegs starting pitcher is a newbie Brett Kennedy. :)

Great evening indeed! :)
Thank you Bro! :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

12Z Euro is in agreement with the GFS as far as the duration of the heat wave goes. Isolated to scattered storms possible on Saturday as the ridge breaks down and shifts back to the South and West looks to be the current call at this time. Until then, no rain at all with lovely weather thru tomorrow then here comes the 90s! We should see 5 or 6 in a row for the contest with this Sunday being the closest call to hit that 90 degree mark.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

79 here today, CVG 77. What a lovely night and Saturday ahead! Could be some patchy fog tomorrow morning though if you're out and about early.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

winterstormjoe wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:45 pm
tron777 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 7:29 am Good morning all! 58 here this morning! So refreshing! Enjoy today and tomorrow folks. 90 for Sunday. Then low 90s to maybe even the mid 90s at times thru at least the end of next week. No rain expected until perhaps next Saturday.
At least fans won't be sweltering via the GAB (minus Sun) as the Redlegs have a 10 game western road trip next week. ;)
Hey Eric, I'm wondering if Hilary will be causing any issues with the LA game on Monday, although it looks like she'll be north of LA by then!
Hi Joe, yes and it'll be interesting to see how far Hilary's convection and rain bands extend out in that part of the country. This is the first time ever in history that the NHC has issued a Tropical Storm Watch e.g. for southern CA.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:49 pm
MVWxObserver wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:19 pm
tron777 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:06 pm
My Brother got free tickets for tonight's game and he and his wife are going as part of their 11th Wedding Anniv. It should be a beautiful evening for baseball or for anything outdoors. :thumbsup:
Hi Les,

Congratulations to Larry and Kate on their 11th! 8-)

Tonight's Redlegs starting pitcher is a newbie Brett Kennedy. :)

Great evening indeed! :)
Thank you Bro! :)
You're quite welcome Bro! :)

I saw on the menu guide where Bally Sports had aired the 2023 Western and Southern Tennis Open but I checked the scores later at the MLB site. ;) Redlegs shut out the Jays 1-0! :) Also congrats to your Tigers as they split 1-1 in that DH with the "Indians"! :)
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Fri Aug 18, 2023 2:51 pm 12Z Euro is in agreement with the GFS as far as the duration of the heat wave goes. Isolated to scattered storms possible on Saturday as the ridge breaks down and shifts back to the South and West looks to be the current call at this time. Until then, no rain at all with lovely weather thru tomorrow then here comes the 90s! We should see 5 or 6 in a row for the contest with this Sunday being the closest call to hit that 90 degree mark.
For DAY ~ ILN, WHIO7, and WDTN2 have all forecast 95 on Thurs e.g.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Morning and made it home after my trip. Will have several posts today and discuss the upcoming heat and also more on the tropics and the month of September. First thing I need to mow the grass and this time its starting to look dry in spots so I need to sort of shape it up.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Glad you've made it back safely Tim! I don't have much to add right now with the ongoing forecast. Looking like the low to mid 80s today... 90ish tomorrow, low 90s Mon - Wed with the mid 90s Thurs and Fri. Still like the 80s coming back by next weekend along with spotty rain chances.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Saw where Canaan valley WV up in the mountains dropped to 31 this morning.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

cloudy72 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 9:20 am Saw where Canaan valley WV up in the mountains dropped to 31 this morning.
Oh wow! Nice!!! :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Welcome back Tim! :)

Currently 70 here in G'ville and progged to top out at around 78. :sunny:
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Upper 70s to the lower 80s out there with low humidity with dews in 50s right now... love it! Wish it would last. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Afternoon and a wonderful day and the grass in much better shape than I thought at first. That is likely to change this week. Mentioned a week or so ago that the 20th-27th would be the hottest part of the summer. That part was fairly easy to predict but how hot was somewhat tougher than I imagined. I did not see the tropical system heading into the southwest and that was my mistake. What that system has done is the ridge over the center part of the country will be able to move further east than what I saw about a week ago. So I expect two 89 degree days in the 7 day period and five 90 plus degree days. Sometimes you must take your medicine and readjust. I will not be going to high like the models but yes I can see a day or two at 94 degrees. Very little chance of rain to knock down the temps and less in the way of clouds by mid-week as well. By next weekend the ridge should shift to the west and we should get back into the pattern we have seen much of this summer. Even though the Atlantic has 4 systems out there 3 of the 4 should not make it to tropical storm status and the fourth which is much further east has a better shot but we are still a few days away from that and of course more than a week to get even close to the USA. I expect many posts this week but many in the eastern pacific section which is rarely used by me lol.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I watered the plants today but will need to put the sprinkler out in the front yard a time or two next week. It's already getting crispy due to the lack of rainfall. The heat will only make it worse. Ugh...
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:58 pm I watered the plants today but will need to put the sprinkler out in the front yard a time or two next week. It's already getting crispy due to the lack of rainfall. The heat will only make it worse. Ugh...
Hey Les and I was surprised my grass had no crispy spots. No doubt that will change over the next week. Not sure if I get the sprinkler out and if so what time of day. My guess is to put it out say between 6-9pm. This should let it soak in. I know of spots that will get crispy and will soak those more if I decide to go that way. Good thing is the pattern seems to be heading back to what we have seen most of the summer. Of course getting rain in late August and September is never easy and if the Atlantic Hurricane Season stays on the quiet side in terms of storms getting to tropical storm or hurricane status then the lawns may take a beating even if we get cooler.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 4:48 pm
tron777 wrote: Sat Aug 19, 2023 3:58 pm I watered the plants today but will need to put the sprinkler out in the front yard a time or two next week. It's already getting crispy due to the lack of rainfall. The heat will only make it worse. Ugh...
Hey Les and I was surprised my grass had no crispy spots. No doubt that will change over the next week. Not sure if I get the sprinkler out and if so what time of day. My guess is to put it out say between 6-9pm. This should let it soak in. I know of spots that will get crispy and will soak those more if I decide to go that way. Good thing is the pattern seems to be heading back to what we have seen most of the summer. Of course getting rain in late August and September is never easy and if the Atlantic Hurricane Season stays on the quiet side in terms of storms getting to tropical storm or hurricane status then the lawns may take a beating even if we get cooler.
I'll probably put it out early in the morning before I start working. Let it run for a couple of hours then shut it down. If I do that twice next week during the hot stretch, the lawn shouldn't get any worse in the section where the sun just absolutely bakes it. Other areas that are shaded are lush and green with no problems at all.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Morning and let the heat games begin. Funny how some of the media is calling this a heat wave. Yes it will be hot but the duration imo should not describe this as a heat wave but more of a heat spell. This spell will be less than 7 days but I know the media needs to sell even the weather to get viewers. Growing up most folks had no A/C and having a fan was about the best you could hope for in the summer. Many summers I just threw out my sleeping bag and many nights spent sleeping outside. Don't get me wrong this is a decent bout of heat but its short-lived. Probably the biggest problem is we have been so mild this summer and our bodies have not got used to the heat so yes it will feel nasty for a few days.

Today we should be in the 88-90 degree range and with temps near 60 this morning that is quite the rise but the dew points are still not bad so it will be hot but the humidity not too bad at all. A dry front or wind change Monday and Tuesday may help somewhat on temps but mainly a light northeast wind especially the further east you live. Temps should still be in the 90-92 range. The period Wednesday-Friday should be the peak for the heat and humidity and this is where I can see temps in the 92-94 range but the dew points nearing 70 so it will feel quite nasty but just for 3 days. Next weekend looks nicer and the return to our normal summer pattern.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Had 93 in my car today in Milford. 90 here at home today, CVG also topped out at 90 degrees.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

CVG reached 91, DAY 86 and CMH 87 for Sun.
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Mon Aug 21, 2023 1:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Morning and you can feel the humidity already. Hit 91 yesterday and similar today. Tuesday may be a degree or two lower with a wind change to the northeast but still hot. Then Wed-Fri looks to be the peak of the heat before a wonderful cold front moves through here late Friday or early Saturday. Models have not been showing much in the way of storms with the front but you got to believe with the build up of humidity this week that some storms will form on or near the front. Have a concert at Riverbend Friday night so my guess that the storms will fire up then lol.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Yesterday we started off in the low 60's and dews in the upper 50's which let us climb to the mid 80's by 1pm. Once the dew points rose we leveled off at 91. Today we start in the low 70's and dew points near 70. A steady climb all day but it feel nasty the entire time. So far temps in the Missouri Valley have been about a degree or two below forecast but still hot. Not sure how high we go and still going with 94 later this week but with conditions drying out quickly we may add a few degrees
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

It is AWFUL outside right now. just put the sprinkler on the front lawn and I am sweating like crazy already! I'll be staying in the A/C mostly this week. :lol: I had enough sun and heat yesterday attending Cooper's and then Colton's first football games of the regular season. :) Cooper is QB and plays defense on his team and Colton plays on the defense usually as a lineman but will occasionally be on offensive as well.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:44 am It is AWFUL outside right now. just put the sprinkler on the front lawn and I am sweating like crazy already! I'll be staying in the A/C mostly this week. :lol: I had enough sun and heat yesterday attending Cooper's and then Colton's first football games of the regular season. :) Cooper is QB and plays defense on his team and Colton plays on the defense usually as a lineman but will occasionally be on offensive as well.
Good Morning Les and today is my only day inside. Golf Tues-Thurs and concert Fri evening. I call this my new weight loss plan.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:45 am
tron777 wrote: Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:44 am It is AWFUL outside right now. just put the sprinkler on the front lawn and I am sweating like crazy already! I'll be staying in the A/C mostly this week. :lol: I had enough sun and heat yesterday attending Cooper's and then Colton's first football games of the regular season. :) Cooper is QB and plays defense on his team and Colton plays on the defense usually as a lineman but will occasionally be on offensive as well.
Good Morning Les and today is my only day inside. Golf Tues-Thurs and concert Fri evening. I call this my new weight loss plan.
Good morning Tim! I'm telling ya! :lol: I drank so much water yesterday but sweated the majority of it off.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Mjr
Rain Shower

Post by Mjr »

:) Good morning and thanks for all you guys do on this forum.
I’ve started to notice our walnut trees dropping leaves
And the squirrels becoming more active.. Also, been hearing/watching
Canadian geese fly over more in the last 2 weeks. Will have to start
Watering our 2 year old apple trees tonite along with the
Pumpkin patch. Have designated Wednesday thru Friday
Basement clean up…. Go reds!