May 2023 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: May 2023 Weather Discussion

Post by tron777 »

The latest 12Z GFS has decent rain chances now on Tues then again late Fri into early Sat.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

HAPPY MOTHER'S DAY AND TO ALL THE AV MOMS!! :heartbeating: :sunny: :cheerleaderguy: 8-)

Enjoy your special day Gina, Leslie, Mollie etc. and thank you for all that you do! :) And also my mother Joyce! :heartbeating: :)

Also Happy 82nd Birthday to my father Myrl! :balloons: :birthday: :birthdaymulticolor: :cake: :)
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Sun May 14, 2023 5:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

A couple of cousins and their families near St Louis in a Slight Risk.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

* Primary threats include...

Scattered damaging wind gusts to 65 mph possible

Scattered large hail events to 1.5 inches in diameter possible
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Sun May 14, 2023 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

From Sat ...

2207 UNK 5 S VERSAILLES RIPLEY IN 3899 8525 LARGE TREE DOWN ACROSS ROADWAY. SEVERAL HOMES WITH SHINGLES BLOWN OFF. (ILN)

0051 UNK 1 WNW SPURGEONS CORNER BROWN IN 3907 8616 REPORT FROM MPING: 1-INCH TREE LIMBS BROKEN; SHINGLES BLOWN OFF. (IND)
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Some light rain around this morning should deliver a tenth of an inch or less to most folks. Another round later tonight and esp on Tuesday. A lovely Wed and Thurs then more action is back Thurs night thru Sat.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 7:41 am Some light rain around this morning should deliver a tenth of an inch or less to most folks. Another round later tonight and esp on Tuesday. A lovely Wed and Thurs then more action is back Thurs night thru Sat.
Good Morning Les and a nice light rain this morning so the flowers will not need additional water. No doubt the rain for Tuesday has increased over the past few days and getting .25-.50 looks good locally though there will be a northerly extent so folks in Dayton may be on the outer edge. A nice shot of cool air for Wednesday and Thursday and would not be surprised to see some lower 40's Thursday morning. Fri-Sun looks like more rain possible though we will have some really dry air to overcome at first. No heat waves in sight as Texas has been very wet and continue that over the next few weeks. Also Florida and the southeast look to get rather soggy as well the next two weeks. Really hard to get the heat going with the rain to the south.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 7:49 am
tron777 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 7:41 am Some light rain around this morning should deliver a tenth of an inch or less to most folks. Another round later tonight and esp on Tuesday. A lovely Wed and Thurs then more action is back Thurs night thru Sat.
Good Morning Les and a nice light rain this morning so the flowers will not need additional water. No doubt the rain for Tuesday has increased over the past few days and getting .25-.50 looks good locally though there will be a northerly extent so folks in Dayton may be on the outer edge. A nice shot of cool air for Wednesday and Thursday and would not be surprised to see some lower 40's Thursday morning. Fri-Sun looks like more rain possible though we will have some really dry air to overcome at first. No heat waves in sight as Texas has been very wet and continue that over the next few weeks. Also Florida and the southeast look to get rather soggy as well the next two weeks. Really hard to get the heat going with the rain to the south.
Good morning Tim! I was glad to see the light rain this morning. I won't have to water my new seeds / plants either, plus with more rain tomorrow some heat and sun is needed which comes Wed and Thurs and a good chunk of Fri before we get wet again. The pattern could use a bit more rain in some areas but otherwise, it's downright perfect IMO.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

0.09" as of 9am at CVG, temp has fallen to 50 degrees.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Only 57 IMBY.... cracking 70 maybe very tough today thanks to the cloud cover. We'll see if any breaks can develop this afternoon. We need that or else no 70s.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:44 pm Only 57 IMBY.... cracking 70 maybe very tough today thanks to the cloud cover. We'll see if any breaks can develop this afternoon. We need that or else no 70s.
I agree Les and so far the high temp was as 1201am. Feels great and hopefully some more rain Tuesday along with cool temps is just what the doctor ordered to keep everything green. Then we wait until later this week or weekend for the next chance.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

If we remain in the 60s today, we should again tomorrow as well due to more rain. Not even close to record cold high territory. At CVG those records are 47 from 1895 and 52 for tomorrow set back in 1893. :lol:.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 1:24 pm
tron777 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 12:44 pm Only 57 IMBY.... cracking 70 maybe very tough today thanks to the cloud cover. We'll see if any breaks can develop this afternoon. We need that or else no 70s.
I agree Les and so far the high temp was as 1201am. Feels great and hopefully some more rain Tuesday along with cool temps is just what the doctor ordered to keep everything green. Then we wait until later this week or weekend for the next chance.
Once we can get some sun on things Wed and Thurs, things should grow nicely after the rain from today and tomorrow. Going to have to mow again Thurs most likely before the Fri / Sat chance.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 1:28 pm
Once we can get some sun on things Wed and Thurs, things should grow nicely after the rain from today and tomorrow. Going to have to mow again Thurs most likely before the Fri / Sat chance.
I mowed yesterday and had a treatment today which is perfect. Will mow probably next Sunday or Monday and will be on a two day journey to SC but then will be in town until mid-June and head to SC for the last time as the big move will happen.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 1:30 pm
tron777 wrote: Mon May 15, 2023 1:28 pm
I mowed yesterday and had a treatment today which is perfect. Will mow probably next Sunday or Monday and will be on a two day journey to SC but then will be in town until mid-June and head to SC for the last time as the big move will happen.
Good deal Tim! I'm sure you'll be happier going to a cooler climate versus the swamps of SC. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

12Z Euro coming in with 0.30" at CVG for tomorrow and another 0.15" Fri / Sat time frame. Moist of that comes Fri night actually so if the timing holds, the weekend won't be bad at all.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Yesterday CVG reached 80 and both DAY and CMH 77.

Today CVG 71, DAY 75 and CMH 77.
Last edited by MVWxObserver on Tue May 16, 2023 6:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I managed 71 just before 5pm today. Definitely the 60s tomorrow with the rain / clouds.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

airwolf76
EF0 Tornado

Post by airwolf76 »

tron777 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:41 am
airwolf76 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:42 am yesterday morning I went fishing and morel hunting. did not find 1 morel. was very disappointed because I know I was in the right area and had found some just 2 years ago there ( maybe I missed my chance ) ? but I did catch 10 fish since I was right near the stream. the weather was nice. mostly sunny and 65 degrees with low humidity. just a beautiful time of year to get out before the heat sets in.
I did not get the time to go this spring with a fishing tournament, and a 50th Wedding Aniv. Party to help plan and attend to. But a friend of ours where we go hunt brought us some yesterday. Our season is winding down locally.
Yeah good for you. lucky you. I am going out again Wed morning this week to check some areas and do some trout fishing. it is suppose to be the coolest day with highs only around 60 and 40 in the morning. If i dont find anything Wed morning then you will know the season is over already. i will post back later this week
22'/23' snowfall > 11"
23'/24' snowfall > 19.5"
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

airwolf76 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 2:39 am
tron777 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 7:41 am
airwolf76 wrote: Tue May 09, 2023 5:42 am yesterday morning I went fishing and morel hunting. did not find 1 morel. was very disappointed because I know I was in the right area and had found some just 2 years ago there ( maybe I missed my chance ) ? but I did catch 10 fish since I was right near the stream. the weather was nice. mostly sunny and 65 degrees with low humidity. just a beautiful time of year to get out before the heat sets in.
I did not get the time to go this spring with a fishing tournament, and a 50th Wedding Aniv. Party to help plan and attend to. But a friend of ours where we go hunt brought us some yesterday. Our season is winding down locally.
Yeah good for you. lucky you. I am going out again Wed morning this week to check some areas and do some trout fishing. it is suppose to be the coolest day with highs only around 60 and 40 in the morning. If i dont find anything Wed morning then you will know the season is over already. i will post back later this week
Good luck to you Charles! If we ever get a chance to meet in person, we will have to smoke up some of those trout! Yummy!!!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Good morning all! Rain is in the way and it's actually just begun here. mid 60s at best today. Rain should end near the PM commute and perhaps even a peak of sun before it sets. Still looking at 0.25" for Cincy 0.50" S counties and 0.10" or less by the time you get up to Dayton and I-70 area. Gorgeous Wed and Thurs. Rain / storms returns late Fri into Sat morning. Then we are good to go for a bit. Temps also look to remain at or below avg as a whole until later next week. Low to mid 80s are starting to show up. Mid 70s is the current avg temp.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 7:41 am Good morning all! Rain is in the way and it's actually just begun here. mid 60s at best today. Rain should end near the PM commute and perhaps even a peak of sun before it sets. Still looking at 0.25" for Cincy 0.50" S counties and 0.10" or less by the time you get up to Dayton and I-70 area. Gorgeous Wed and Thurs. Rain / storms returns late Fri into Sat morning. Then we are good to go for a bit. Temps also look to remain at or below avg as a whole until later next week. Low to mid 80s are starting to show up. Mid 70s is the current avg temp.
Great forecast Les. Higher totals towards I-64 and points south and some places in central and southern Kentucky could get well over an inch of rainfall which is nice to see. I was hoping more locally but I will take .25-.50 and since we are going to be cooler the next two days all that falls will sink in. Hopefully another round later Friday. Next week we may start a warming trend though somewhat different than you may expect this time of year. With the southern plains and southeast becoming rather wet this holds the temps down in that area and we get warming from the central and northern plains which can be warm but usually not hot this time of year
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Thanks Tim! It doesn't look overly humid either. Using the last GFS run for temps when we start to get warm, it's got lower 60s for lows and lower 80s for highs. A touch of humidity but not overly muggy should that pan out and be correct. Certainly more typical of early June temps which is in 2+ weeks away. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:58 am Thanks Tim! It doesn't look overly humid either. Using the last GFS run for temps when we start to get warm, it's got lower 60s for lows and lower 80s for highs. A touch of humidity but not overly muggy should that pan out and be correct. Certainly more typical of early June temps which is in 2+ weeks away. :lol:
I agree Les and with the main moisture staying mainly to the south low 80's are just fine by me.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 9:09 am
tron777 wrote: Tue May 16, 2023 8:58 am Thanks Tim! It doesn't look overly humid either. Using the last GFS run for temps when we start to get warm, it's got lower 60s for lows and lower 80s for highs. A touch of humidity but not overly muggy should that pan out and be correct. Certainly more typical of early June temps which is in 2+ weeks away. :lol:
I agree Les and with the main moisture staying mainly to the south low 80's are just fine by me.
I'm good with it. Should help thicken the lawn even more and help my new plants! :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page