February 2023 Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
Trevor
Site Admin

Re: February 2023 Discussion

Post by Trevor »

I’m not particularly enthused by the severe prospects today — or I should say, anything super organized. Isolated severe? Sure. But I just don’t see things getting too out of hand personally.
Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Trevor wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 8:10 am I’m not particularly enthused by the severe prospects today — or I should say, anything super organized. Isolated severe? Sure. But I just don’t see things getting too out of hand personally.
Instability could be an issue. I see a touch of sun coming later but not enough unless something changes.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Just had another band of showers move through. More to come over Western IN, maybe some embedded thunder.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

I agree with Trev on the severe aspect. Isolated and main item will be gusty winds getting to the surface. Dew points may not get above 55 and even the dew points well south of here are not that impressive with this kind of system. The system later this week has a good shot of a severe outbreak to the southeast of us.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Winds will be picking up in just a few hours. Winds gusting 25 to 35 mph in the Western half of KY at this time per KY Mesonet sites.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

While this winter has not achieved what most snow weenies would like, still have a staple item to look back on and that was the pre-Xmas “blizzard” and bitter cold. That was epic and historical.

Still time for a big dog as other have mentioned, but as each day goes by, climo is pushing back. We shall see!
Silverton, OH

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Trevor wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:19 am While this winter has not achieved what most snow weenies would like, still have a staple item to look back on and that was the pre-Xmas “blizzard” and bitter cold. That was epic and historical.

Still time for a big dog as other have mentioned, but as each day goes by, climo is pushing back. We shall see!
This winter and especially Feb has been noted for wind makers. Seemed more like March than Feb and my guess deeper into March it will feel more like Feb. Blocking in Jan and Feb has not been there at all and though we have seen many systems come through here they have been mild but progressive so rainfall totals have not gotten out of hand. That is good new for any major flooding and sure we could still see some heavier rains in March and April but with the vegetation coming out early that also helps for flooding aspects.

My biggest concern is early heat this summer as the central and southern plains really need some rainfall over the next month or so and since the west has done well expect heat waves to form more where a possible drought is located and that is in the central part of the country.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

MJO models continue to show it in Phase 8 and at a high amplitude too after 3/10. Also seeing the -WPO, -EPO, and -NAO all going negative as well. Hopefully we'll see some of those changes during the 2nd week of March. Better signals for below avg temps are ahead. For the last couple of months, with these intense lows that we keep getting, that is one reason why the winds have been so strong with the majority of storm systems. this winter. Big time pressure and temp. gradients have fueled stronger storms.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Band of showers with the warm front working thru. I had some gusty winds with the earlier sun breaks. Wind has relaxed due to clouds / rain. I suspect once the dry slot comes in the winds will crank up later along with a few sun breaks. Central IN on north has an MD out for a 60% chance of a tornado watch to be issued later.

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md0204.html
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Mon Feb 27, 2023 10:49 am Band of showers with the warm front working thru. I had some gusty winds with the earlier sun breaks. Wind has relaxed due to clouds / rain. I suspect once the dry slot comes in the winds will crank up later along with a few sun breaks. Central IN on north has an MD out for a 60% chance of a tornado watch to be issued later.

https://www.spc.noaa.gov/products/md/md0204.html
I agree Les and already one warning in central Illinois. I agree with the central In and northern 2/3rds of Ohio have a chance of an isolated Tornado. I believe locally we are okay but never rule out completely with a set up like this. Biggest concern will be the gusty winds as we have seen with many of the systems over the past couple of months.
Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

Tornado watch issued for areas NW of Cincy Metro.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Silverton, OH

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

Not much time to recover but need to watch this area of filtered sunshine/clearing ahead of the front.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Silverton, OH

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

CAPE values of 500 J/KG on the IL / IN border counties where those cells are firing.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

Locally, NAM-HR is the most aggressive from a simulated reflectivity standpoint for additional convection this afternoon down this way. Watch and wait as always.
Silverton, OH

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

58 degree dews here. 60 degree dews are working into West Central KY now. Low is pretty strong at 984 MB over the Quad Cities.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

Based on directional movement, this is the area we need to watch for convective development. Again, window of destabilization is small so that is on our side to help keep things in check. By that I mean anything widespread. Isolated severe cells with wind, hail, and tornadoes are very much still on the table.
Silverton, OH

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Getting a heavy downpour now. Not much wind just a good ole fashioned rain shower.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Front about to enter Indiana

Screenshot_20230227-120233_Chrome.jpg
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

Buddy at ILN is saying that, while moisture is better down this way, lift is better north.
Silverton, OH

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Yes the dew points have risen but it will be short lived as once the front passes by dew points go down in a hurry. The drier air moving in from the southwest as Paducah down to 47 dew and Owensboro dropped 3 degrees as winds shift. Next will be Louisville and then CVG. The rains over the pass few hours has also put a damper on severe weather locally. Again gusty winds yes but timing is critical and that looks to be further north in terms of severe weather and like Trevor mentioned the lift is much better further north and you can see some isolated storms forming and some may contain a tornado or two.
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Currently 50 here in G'ville and 53 at DAY. ILN projects 61 here and 63 in DAY for today.
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Screenshot_20230227-122111_Chrome.jpg
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Great Map Bgoney and the good thing for us that is moving northeast quickly and much drier air is coming in from the southwest. Never rule out an isolated storm but imo the best chances are to the north.
airwolf76
EF0 Tornado

Post by airwolf76 »

this system is giving me a winter weather advisary for 3-5" of snow . starting later today.
22'/23' snowfall > 11"
23'/24' snowfall > 19.5"