February 2023 Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
Trevor
Site Admin

Re: February 2023 Discussion

Post by Trevor »

Just had a gust that shook the whole house. Had to step out and check on things lol
Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
young pup
EF4 Tornado

Post by young pup »

tron777 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:03 pm No doubt some record highs being set in KY today. Lexington now up to 73. Frankfort at 72. 71 in Jackson, KY. 73 at Somerset and 72 at Monticello to name a few. CVG's record is only 67 set back in 2001. It'll be close! 66 thus far to my knowledge has been our official high today.
Our record was 66 back in 2001. Looking at CMH stats so far today we broke it with 69 so far.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Trevor wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:08 pm Just had a gust that shook the whole house. Had to step out and check on things lol
Still seeing mostly sunny skies here. Still seeing consistent 30-40 mph gusts with an occasional 50 thrown in.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

50 easy up here.
Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

young pup wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:14 pm
tron777 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:03 pm No doubt some record highs being set in KY today. Lexington now up to 73. Frankfort at 72. 71 in Jackson, KY. 73 at Somerset and 72 at Monticello to name a few. CVG's record is only 67 set back in 2001. It'll be close! 66 thus far to my knowledge has been our official high today.
Our record was 66 back in 2001. Looking at CMH stats so far today we broke it with 69 so far.
Wow! If it won't snow may as well break a record high. What the hell! :lol: CVG still at 66. We can't even do warmth right down here LOL DAY's record is 65 from 2001 and they have done it with a temp of 67 currently.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Trevor wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:25 pm50 easy up here.
Wow! Big time Westerly wind gust just hit here. It was snowing leaves! :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Strongest winds of the day now. Limbs coming down frequently off of the older trees. Come on cloud cover!!!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Looks like CVG has dropped to 64 now. So it looks like 1 degree short of the record unless the 5pm climate report says otherwise.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

High was 67 in my hood. Winds also in the 30-40 mph range with occasional gusts to 50+.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Mesonet Station AP234 in Alexandria KY had 67mph gust at 150pm - that is highest official report I have seen thus far in ILN territory.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Just another winter day in the OV

records.daily.usa.large.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

cloudy72 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:52 pm Mesonet Station AP234 in Alexandria KY had 67mph gust at 150pm - that is highest official report I have seen thus far in ILN territory.
That confirms my earlier post of the southern areas having the worst of the winds vs northern areas. Typically it is the other way around.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:53 pm Just another winter day in the OV

records.daily.usa.large.png
That image will probably be Trev's new wallpaper. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

CVG down to 63 but a new peak gust of 52 mph now for the day.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

young pup
EF4 Tornado

Post by young pup »

tron777 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:25 pm
young pup wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 2:14 pm
Wow! If it won't snow may as well break a record high. What the hell! :lol: CVG still at 66. We can't even do warmth right down here LOL DAY's record is 65 from 2001 and they have done it with a temp of 67 currently.
Might as well. Icing on the cake for this winter. :)

Ran some errands not much in the way of big limbs down yet. Just some small twigs and what not. Wind is getting stronger though.
young pup
EF4 Tornado

Post by young pup »

This was posted on FB by the NWS:

....Record High Temperatures Today...
DAY - record high temp for the day of 67 at 137pm. Old record was 65 (2001).
CVG tied the record high temp of 67 at 204pm. This ties the old record set in 2001.
CMH - record high temp of 70 at 222pm. Old record was 66 (2001).
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Thanks for the stats JP. CVG must have had an intra hour reading to get that 67. Still it's just a tie. :(
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

tron777 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:28 pm 12Z Operational GFS looks a bit more interesting after the 20th for us snow lovers. The story of our winter, always 10-14 days away and a dollar short in terms of cold air production. :lol: 12Z GEFS isn't quite as nice. Still a bit too much of the SE ridge to deal with which shouldn't be a shock to anyone who has been following along. The difference between the two is easy to see. OP GFS has a better Pacific pattern with the -EPO / +PNA ridging in a better place. More poleward into AK and the Arctic as well as it being along the West Coast of North America. GEFS shows more of what our problem all along has been. The -EPO is more of an Aleutian Ridge and the PNA ridging is off of the West Coast. It's all about the orientation and position of these ridges for the correct downstream effects. I do think that the GFS in time could be correct, but as usual it is probably rushing that look by a week to 10 days.
GEFs and EPS have been in good agreement for a few days now with the latter pattern you describe at least to the 24th atm or basically same pattern we've had more or less. A brief cool down after that cutter a week from now, but then right back to where we are now . A nice Canadian air mass should envelope the western half of the country over the next 2 weeks so expect the active panhandle low development between the two air masses to continue. Have to see how soon the 500mb pattern can react to the MJO approaching and moving into the west pac.
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Afternoon and wow those winds were strong as several times it sounded like a freight train moving through. Speaking of Ike and it was a Sunday and I was at the Bengals game that day. Ike was no longer a tropical system and the remains were west of here but the pressure was still rather low and of course before Ike had moved into the USA it had developed a big high over the Carolina's and the difference between the pressures ended up like a wind tunnel straight up the Ohio Valley
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

57 now as of 4pm with a gust to 44 at CVG.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:55 pm
tron777 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:28 pm 12Z Operational GFS looks a bit more interesting after the 20th for us snow lovers. The story of our winter, always 10-14 days away and a dollar short in terms of cold air production. :lol: 12Z GEFS isn't quite as nice. Still a bit too much of the SE ridge to deal with which shouldn't be a shock to anyone who has been following along. The difference between the two is easy to see. OP GFS has a better Pacific pattern with the -EPO / +PNA ridging in a better place. More poleward into AK and the Arctic as well as it being along the West Coast of North America. GEFS shows more of what our problem all along has been. The -EPO is more of an Aleutian Ridge and the PNA ridging is off of the West Coast. It's all about the orientation and position of these ridges for the correct downstream effects. I do think that the GFS in time could be correct, but as usual it is probably rushing that look by a week to 10 days.
GEFs and EPS have been in good agreement for a few days now with the latter pattern you describe at least to the 24th atm or basically same pattern we've had more or less. A brief cool down after that cutter a week from now, but then right back to where we are now . A nice Canadian air mass should envelope the western half of the country over the next 2 weeks so expect the active panhandle low development between the two air masses to continue. Have to see how soon the 500mb pattern can react to the MJO approaching and moving into the west pac.
I agree. I see a couple of thread the needle chances in the future but you know how tough those are around here to achieve success. I wouldn't expect any real threat until the last week of the month at the earliest. Wouldn't shock me if we don't see favorable impacts until March. Here's to hoping though! :drinkingcheers:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 3:56 pm Good Afternoon and wow those winds were strong as several times it sounded like a freight train moving through. Speaking of Ike and it was a Sunday and I was at the Bengals game that day. Ike was no longer a tropical system and the remains were west of here but the pressure was still rather low and of course before Ike had moved into the USA it had developed a big high over the Carolina's and the difference between the pressures ended up like a wind tunnel straight up the Ohio Valley
I remember 90 degrees, sunny skies, and hurricane force winds. The remnants of Ike merged with an incoming trough and bingo! If you were north of the warm front like in N IN, N OH, or S Mich you had cool weather and heavy rainfall and not much wind at all. In the warm sector is where the winds occurred right up the OH River and I-71 corridors. I was prefishing that day for a walleye tournament on Brookville Lake over in Indiana and the waves were easily in the 6+ foot range. I've been in those conditions before but on Lake Erie where you'd expect it, not an inland body of water. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

:mowlawn: :mowlawn:

Made it to 72
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

So anyway... after the winds die down tonight, we get a quiet and much calmer period of weather Fri - maybe Tues of next week. Temps start out seasonal in the 40s and quickly warm back into the 50s by Sunday onwards. Next rain and wind maker is due in either late Tues or Wed (depending on how the timing works out), More showers continue on Thurs into Fri with a second, much stronger system, esp if the Euro is right. More troublesome winds are possible next Thurs should this model be correct. Then we cool down again for Pres Day weekend. After that... we shall see where we are headed once we get closer in time.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Browneyedgirl
Heavy Rain

Post by Browneyedgirl »

Have we seen the strongest winds or do we have more fun in the way?
Lisa
Liberty Township, Butler County

Still learning all this weather stuff!