February 2023 Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Re: February 2023 Discussion

Post by MVWxObserver »

My gauge picked up .90" :)

Was at 57 an hour ago and now at 54 degrees here in G'ville. Gusting to 33 mph.
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

69 in Indian hill
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

High Wind Warning has been expanded to include the whole tristate
Silverton, OH

More active on my FB page...come follow me! :-)
https://www.facebook.com/cwc513
Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

I should have no problem hitting the 70 degree mark at home as well as Matt.. aka the SE crew
Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

Bgoney wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:40 pm I should have no problem hitting the 70 degree mark at home as well as Matt.. aka the SE crew
Son of a gun, I’m just shy of 70 myself. Love it 😂
Silverton, OH

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

68 here in Lebanon for record purposes.
Silverton, OH

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Trevor wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:42 pm
Bgoney wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:40 pm I should have no problem hitting the 70 degree mark at home as well as Matt.. aka the SE crew
Shouldn't you be going back to your Den soon
tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:31 am
tpweather wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:51 am
tron777 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:46 am Good morning all! 0.20" at CVG with similar amounts here. A bit more then I expected but we'll take it! 58 as of 7am at CVG headed for the 60s! Welcome to April everybody! :lol: Get ready for more showers and of course the wind. It is picking up a bit right now IMBY but still relastively tame only gusting into the 20s mph. In a few more hours, it'll be cranking and once the front moves thru, winds will be howling around lunch time into the afternoon and evening hours before we calm down overnight.

Strange seeing no snow on the radar this time of year but I am watching later this month / early March closely. I have a funny feeling that winter honestly is not quite done yet despite this week and next.
Good Morning Les and I believe you are correct as spring imo will be delayed once again which is no doubt been a trend over the past 10-15 years it seems. As we get closer to the weekend the chances of snow in SC are ramping up and with the mountains,dynamic cooling, colder air filling in and probably some banding of precip looks like I may get lucky and see some accumulation. Leaving Friday morning and it looks like the period Saturday night into Sunday is the period of possible snow. No doubt they will see some snow in the mountains and will just see how far south the snow can travel. The Euro is further northwest and brings snow into southeast Kentucky
Tim, the event will most certainly be elevation dependent and since you are not in the mountains, you may just get a cold rain out of this one. I hope that isn't the case and that dynamic cooling can save the day but if I were a betting man (and I am LOL) I'd like to be in the mountains of extreme SE KY, NE TN, SW VA, etc for this event. The southern Apps can do well with this set up.
I agree Les and you start hitting the mountains about 20 miles north of Greenville as you head north to Asheville. No doubt that area will have the best shot but one thing you do get there is cold can build on the east side of the apps and go all the way into northeast Georgia. Being mainly at night also helps with chances so at least something to follow. Don't even have a snow shovel down there but the driveway if flat so no problems there and even with some light snow it will melt during the day very easily.
Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

Bgoney wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:47 pm
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Silverton, OH

young pup
EF4 Tornado

Post by young pup »

The wind has started to ramp up here about 30 minutes ago.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Looks like I will max out at 66 today. CVG also at 66. Peak gust still holding at 46 but I imagine that should go up due to some sunny breaks within the cloud cover behind the front. Once the low clouds return that are over Central IN in a few hours, the inversion will have returned and gusts won't be quite as high as they are now.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 12:47 pm
If I have anything to say about it, he will be in hibernation mode come March! :twisted:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

70 here in Lebanon, 67 at my folks’ house in Blue Ash.
Silverton, OH

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:01 pm
tron777 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 10:31 am
tpweather wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:51 am
tron777 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 7:46 am Good morning all! 0.20" at CVG with similar amounts here. A bit more then I expected but we'll take it! 58 as of 7am at CVG headed for the 60s! Welcome to April everybody! :lol: Get ready for more showers and of course the wind. It is picking up a bit right now IMBY but still relastively tame only gusting into the 20s mph. In a few more hours, it'll be cranking and once the front moves thru, winds will be howling around lunch time into the afternoon and evening hours before we calm down overnight.

Strange seeing no snow on the radar this time of year but I am watching later this month / early March closely. I have a funny feeling that winter honestly is not quite done yet despite this week and next.
Good Morning Les and I believe you are correct as spring imo will be delayed once again which is no doubt been a trend over the past 10-15 years it seems. As we get closer to the weekend the chances of snow in SC are ramping up and with the mountains,dynamic cooling, colder air filling in and probably some banding of precip looks like I may get lucky and see some accumulation. Leaving Friday morning and it looks like the period Saturday night into Sunday is the period of possible snow. No doubt they will see some snow in the mountains and will just see how far south the snow can travel. The Euro is further northwest and brings snow into southeast Kentucky
Tim, the event will most certainly be elevation dependent and since you are not in the mountains, you may just get a cold rain out of this one. I hope that isn't the case and that dynamic cooling can save the day but if I were a betting man (and I am LOL) I'd like to be in the mountains of extreme SE KY, NE TN, SW VA, etc for this event. The southern Apps can do well with this set up.
I agree Les and you start hitting the mountains about 20 miles north of Greenville as you head north to Asheville. No doubt that area will have the best shot but one thing you do get there is cold can build on the east side of the apps and go all the way into northeast Georgia. Being mainly at night also helps with chances so at least something to follow. Don't even have a snow shovel down there but the driveway if flat so no problems there and even with some light snow it will melt during the day very easily.
Good luck this weekend Tim! We'll be pulling for ya! :fingerscrossed:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

12Z Operational GFS looks a bit more interesting after the 20th for us snow lovers. The story of our winter, always 10-14 days away and a dollar short in terms of cold air production. :lol: 12Z GEFS isn't quite as nice. Still a bit too much of the SE ridge to deal with which shouldn't be a shock to anyone who has been following along. The difference between the two is easy to see. OP GFS has a better Pacific pattern with the -EPO / +PNA ridging in a better place. More poleward into AK and the Arctic as well as it being along the West Coast of North America. GEFS shows more of what our problem all along has been. The -EPO is more of an Aleutian Ridge and the PNA ridging is off of the West Coast. It's all about the orientation and position of these ridges for the correct downstream effects. I do think that the GFS in time could be correct, but as usual it is probably rushing that look by a week to 10 days.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

Spring 2023 has me feeling like…
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Silverton, OH

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

I was watching BG's update from the last hour or so and Frankfort gusted to 69 mph with another sensor in Franklin Co reporting 71! :o Those are the highest gusts I have seen in the OV thus far.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

tron777 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:43 pm I was watching BG's update from the last hour or so and Frankfort gusted to 69 mph with another sensor in Franklin Co reporting 71! :o Those are the highest gusts I have seen in the OV thus far.
Those are pretty wicked high gusts. We don’t see that around here often unless a severe thunderstorm is involved.
Silverton, OH

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Trevor wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:45 pm
tron777 wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:43 pm I was watching BG's update from the last hour or so and Frankfort gusted to 69 mph with another sensor in Franklin Co reporting 71! :o Those are the highest gusts I have seen in the OV thus far.
Those are pretty wicked high gusts. We don’t see that around here often unless a severe thunderstorm is involved.
Agreed. I think the strongest winds all along have been south of Metro Cincy. Looking at power outages for Owen Electric, the hardest hit areas are near Falmouth and Crittenden in our forum coverage area. Duke always has a lot of outages even on a nice day. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

Ike remnants was the last time we saw synoptic winds that strong if memory serves correct.
Silverton, OH

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Visible shot showing the low clouds getting closer. Once they move back in, winds won't be quite as bad as they are now. The low clouds will also coincide with falling temps as well.

1kmv.gif
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Trevor
Site Admin

Post by Trevor »

Those were in the 80s+ so not the same of course.
Silverton, OH

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Trevor wrote: Thu Feb 09, 2023 1:48 pm Ike remnants was the last time we saw synoptic winds that strong if memory serves correct.
Probably although Ike was much worse. 12 hours of hurricane force winds. No thank you! An event I'll never forget since I was out in it fishing. I didn't have a weather station back then but I est. that we saw 80-90 mph gusts here.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Yikes! Don't look at the new 12Z Euro. If it is correct, we'll be doing this again next week around the same time. It could be even worse with a stronger area of low pressure being shown.

EDIT: May even have our first official 70 degree reading on Wed of next week ahead of this strong storm system.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

No doubt some record highs being set in KY today. Lexington now up to 73. Frankfort at 72. 71 in Jackson, KY. 73 at Somerset and 72 at Monticello to name a few. CVG's record is only 67 set back in 2001. It'll be close! 66 thus far to my knowledge has been our official high today.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page