White Christmas Blizzard 2022

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: I'm Dreaming of a White Christmas 2022

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:22 pm Have not thought to much about a coastal system and the area of disturbed weather along the GOM is moving slowly and may head up the east coast. Could there be a storm that forms besides the one heading in our direction and it may be possible and they end up being two different storms with little interaction.
I wonder also Tim if that is part of the entire problem of why the big dog solution (while short lived) for us vanished. I think you have discovered the reason why. That "weak wave" system that is moving thru today, remember the one that never phased so it is a cold and dry forecast for early this week? That system has messed up the flow. Currently a 1016 MB low is in the Northern Gulf and that is the southern piece with the northern piece has light snow over portions of MN, Wisc and Iowa. We are of course in no man's land in between the two systems. The northern piece to me isn't the issue, it harmlessly rotates up into SE Canada (can't continue NE due to NAO block). The STJ piece along the N Gulf or S Gulf Coast states continues to weaken in time and is just a small surface reflection in the Bahamas. Well it just kind of sits there for a while. This little feature backs up the flow if you will and allows for enough ridging in front of our storm so the low cuts. It deepens rapidly too so it'll naturally want to cut. If this "weak wave" system would have phased a little bit or if the STJ piece didn't stall near the Bahamas, we'd have a vastly different outcome. Unfortunately, I don't think that we will be seeing many wholescale changes.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

I agree Les we all believe its a rather impactful storm and then the timing around the holiday makes it that much more impactful. So yes it comes down to how much snow we get and your earlier thought of 1-4 made perfect sense. As we know even when we get within 24 hours of the system the models are going to bust in certain places and that happens with most storms. Not a perfect science and once we get within that 24 period we have true ground reports and how the storm is developing . I just have pushed the problems with ice and how many stores may not open because employees are unable to make the trip. That is a real concern and I sent out a forecast to my neighbors on Saturday and told them that snow amounts are not known yet but there could be a period of time that we have blizzard conditions. Can we get those for more than 3 hours is what determines a blizzard so even with an hour or two can cause major problems.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Browneyedgirl wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:28 pm My friend’s daughter wants to drive to Cincy from Chicago. When do things get dicey up there?

Thanks for your insight!
Hey Lisa! Things for Chicago IMO should go downhill sometime on Thursday. Maybe afternoon or so? I'd get out early Thurs morning at the latest personally. Our conditions won't go downhill until Thurs night. Guessing around the midnight hour at this time, subject to change.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Browneyedgirl wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:28 pm My friend’s daughter wants to drive to Cincy from Chicago. When do things get dicey up there?

Thanks for your insight!
I would have your friends daughter get there by late Wednesday. I believe this is an explosive storm and when things light up it goes down hill quickly. I can see roads shut down and of course the airports there may be shut down as well starting late Thursday lasting through Saturday. Not sure what the time span is for them to travel but getting there by late Wednesday is probably the best way to go. They may not be able to travel back until Christmas day or so.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:34 pm I agree Les we all believe its a rather impactful storm and then the timing around the holiday makes it that much more impactful. So yes it comes down to how much snow we get and your earlier thought of 1-4 made perfect sense. As we know even when we get within 24 hours of the system the models are going to bust in certain places and that happens with most storms. Not a perfect science and once we get within that 24 period we have true ground reports and how the storm is developing . I just have pushed the problems with ice and how many stores may not open because employees are unable to make the trip. That is a real concern and I sent out a forecast to my neighbors on Saturday and told them that snow amounts are not known yet but there could be a period of time that we have blizzard conditions. Can we get those for more than 3 hours is what determines a blizzard so even with an hour or two can cause major problems.
Even a couple of inches of snow with winds gusts in excess of 35 mph for a sustained 3 hour period is a blizzard. Oh and visibility also for 3 hours needs to be a 1/4 mile or less. Anyway, you're absolutely right. It's not the amount that falls which most people (the common public, not us weather geeks LOL), they just don't understand that. Most people think you need 6-12" for a blizzard and that is 100% false.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Les like I mentioned earlier most blizzards are of course towards the arctic circle and I would guess 80p/c have an inch of snow or less. The problem is they have conditions where they last for days.
Browneyedgirl
Heavy Rain

Post by Browneyedgirl »

tron777 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:35 pm

Thanks for your insight!
Hey Lisa! Things for Chicago IMO should go downhill sometime on Thursday. Maybe afternoon or so? I'd get out early Thurs morning at the latest personally. Our conditions won't go downhill until Thurs night. Guessing around the midnight hour at this time, subject to change.

Thanks Les!!
Lisa
Liberty Township, Butler County

Still learning all this weather stuff!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:41 pm Les like I mentioned earlier most blizzards are of course towards the arctic circle and I would guess 80p/c have an inch of snow or less. The problem is they have conditions where they last for days.
No doubt! They have the longevity factor up north when the blocking is right and the low gets stuck for a few days.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Browneyedgirl wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:43 pm
tron777 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:35 pm

Thanks for your insight!

Thanks Les!!
No problem! It's the best guess I have at the moment. Getting out early is key. You know other folks will have the same idea. Even leaving on Wednesday as Tim mentioned is a good idea if it's possible just from a traffic standpoint alone.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

magseb5
Rain Shower

Post by magseb5 »

I keep reading about hazardous travel. Are people thinking flights will be cancelled, or just that driving will be tough.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

18Z Euro did bump SE of the 12Z run. End result for us really isn't any different since it literally was a bump and not a dramatic shift. But we are monitoring trends. As Bgoney mentioned, the 0Z runs tomorrow night will have a full sampling of this system.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

magseb5 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:51 pm I keep reading about hazardous travel. Are people thinking flights will be cancelled, or just that driving will be tough.
Flights will absolutely be cancelled in places like Chicago, Milwaukee. Detroit will have delays and probably some closures. Indy will have the same. Chicago is a major hub so it will have ripple effects across the country, Chicago if the data is right will be completely shut down (air and land) for a while. Probably Milwaukee too, Western and Upper Michigan. It's going to be a mess!
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

18Z RGEM bumped SE from it's 12Z run. We'll see with the 0Z main runs tonight if we've got a trend of a system that takes a little longer to blow up and thus the more Southern and mainly more eastern solutions. I still think that the ongoing forecast for snowfall is good at this time.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

snowbo
EF0 Tornado

Post by snowbo »

https://twitter.com/accuweather/status/ ... 9548068864

Bernie Rayno this evening. Video is challenging at best. He thinks the upper low is coming east. Says 3 to 4 inches in Cincinnati but later in the video says 3 to 6 for Cincinnati. Also said Dayton will be close to blizzard. Time will tell....
Brookville, Ohio
Northwest Montgomery county
I70 Corridor
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

tron777 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:54 pm
magseb5 wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 7:51 pm I keep reading about hazardous travel. Are people thinking flights will be cancelled, or just that driving will be tough.
Flights will absolutely be cancelled in places like Chicago, Milwaukee. Detroit will have delays and probably some closures. Indy will have the same. Chicago is a major hub so it will have ripple effects across the country, Chicago if the data is right will be completely shut down (air and land) for a while. Probably Milwaukee too, Western and Upper Michigan. It's going to be a mess!
Also CVG, DAY, CMH and CLE e.g., too.

"Planes, Trains and Automobiles" terminal situation. :lol:
dce
EF5 Tornado

Post by dce »

snowbo wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:36 pm https://twitter.com/accuweather/status/ ... 9548068864

Bernie Rayno this evening. Video is challenging at best. He thinks the upper low is coming east. Says 3 to 4 inches in Cincinnati but later in the video says 3 to 6 for Cincinnati. Also said Dayton will be close to blizzard. Time will tell....
He is holding to the farther east track isn't he? The model runs from this afternoon (12z and18z) support a slight eastward shift. Maybe the sampling of the energy coming into the Pacific coast isn't as strong as the models once thought? If so, the eastward shift could continue. If not, it is what it is.
Doug

Huber Heights
airwolf76
EF0 Tornado

Post by airwolf76 »

lets see what tonights runs show. we should have it nailed down by tomorrow at some point
22'/23' snowfall > 11"
23'/24' snowfall > 19.5"
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

My cousin and her family from VA Beach drive straight through and have opted to arrive sometime Thurs instead of Fri at her folks here in Greenville which is a wise decision.

Currently 19 here in G'ville just 1 degree from the progged 18 for Tues morning.
Pete1
Heavy Rain

Post by Pete1 »

snowbo wrote: Mon Dec 19, 2022 8:36 pm https://twitter.com/accuweather/status/ ... 9548068864

Wow. Great video!! He has a way to explain complex stuff and make it understandable
Burlington, KY
Closet Meteorologist
Rain Shower

Post by Closet Meteorologist »

What is the timing (as close as is possible this far out)?
dce
EF5 Tornado

Post by dce »

The trend continues to be our friend. We are teetering at the moment. Any farther east with this trend and we are in for quite the storm. Back west a bit and we are on the edge looking in.
Last edited by dce on Tue Dec 20, 2022 2:42 am, edited 2 times in total.
Doug

Huber Heights
Pete1
Heavy Rain

Post by Pete1 »

From what I have been reading, the entire 0z suite has trended East. Back in the game, for now at least
Burlington, KY
fyrfyter
Thunder Storm

Post by fyrfyter »

8E23C7A0-7EAC-4E92-AACA-C57A3C0FFA74.jpeg
61C5241B-5054-43EE-AFB0-19A5F58C7A36.jpeg
C8A1C7A6-029F-457F-B7C4-598BD2CC3E86.jpeg
Euro dry slots the entire state and we get an inch, GFS says 3”, NAM gives us 6”. We definitely got NAM’ed :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
~Aaron
Mack/Green Township, OH

My Current Conditions
cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Will be curious to see if the 12z suite continues this eastward trend.

One thing is certain - Friday looks absolutely nasty whether it be snow or just the bitter cold and dangerous wind chills.
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

dce
EF5 Tornado

Post by dce »

fyrfyter wrote: Tue Dec 20, 2022 5:23 am 8E23C7A0-7EAC-4E92-AACA-C57A3C0FFA74.jpeg
61C5241B-5054-43EE-AFB0-19A5F58C7A36.jpeg
C8A1C7A6-029F-457F-B7C4-598BD2CC3E86.jpeg

Euro dry slots the entire state and we get an inch, GFS says 3”, NAM gives us 6”. We definitely got NAM’ed :lol:
That Euro map only goes to 10am on Friday morning. Same with the Nam, Friday morning. There is much more accumulation if you extend those runs through the rest of the storm.
Doug

Huber Heights