July 2022 Weather Discussion

All weather related things can be found here! From snow storms to severe weather including the best model analysis and long range forecasting around!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Re: July 2022 Weather Discussion

Post by tron777 »

I think N of I-70 the watches were warranted but heavier rains have not materialized as much south of Dayton. Light stuff and even some dry times upcoming as we watch the t-storms in ILL and Western IN to see if they can get in here or miss to the south.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Always hard to put out a wide area for any kind of watch and especially with flood watches. Most of the time very few folks affected but you want the public to be aware that a quick period of heavy rain can lead to some temporary flooding. This is where I leave it up to the experts and I again that being on the side of caution is probably the best way to go.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

0.46" as of 5pm at CVG. 0.57" here with very light rain. Temp is 71 with a dew of 69.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

young pup
EF4 Tornado

Post by young pup »

1.30 for the day. Two day total so far 2". Made for a great day for a nap. I haven't had one of those in a long time. :)
MVWxObserver
Hurricane

Post by MVWxObserver »

Picked up 1.30" from Sun for a weekend combo of 1.55" :)
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

1.37" at CVG as of 6am. Almost up to 1.5" here as of 6:50am.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

Good Morning and so far with this system 1.40 so not a bad two days especially since most of the rain came down as light to sometimes moderate. These are the kind of systems we seldom see in mid-summer and it came at a perfect time as another round of heat is expected.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:57 am Good Morning and so far with this system 1.40 so not a bad two days especially since most of the rain came down as light to sometimes moderate. These are the kind of systems we seldom see in mid-summer and it came at a perfect time as another round of heat is expected.
There is a small chance Wed and maybe again at some point next weekend but it could be another week that some of us will have to wait again for rain after today. Also another round of 90s seem to be coming again in our future. I could see us tacking on 3-4 90s in the next week. But again, despite models going high with the numbers, I don't think we'll get any hotter then the 94-95 we've already seen a few times at CVG this season. Main reason is the beneficial rains we got yesterday and today. :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

young pup
EF4 Tornado

Post by young pup »

Just dumped the gauge. 1.40 yesterday. 2.10 for Saturday and Sunday. Hoping this rain coming my way slides southeast of me. No that I don’t appreciate it I’m already behind on the week. Sunday is the start of my week.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

young pup wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:20 am Just dumped the gauge. 1.40 yesterday. 2.10 for Saturday and Sunday. Hoping this rain coming my way slides southeast of me. No that I don’t appreciate it I’m already behind on the week. Sunday is the start of my week.
You guys have seen a months worth of rainfall in the past 5 days or so. :lol: You've def seen enough.

EDIT: Over 2" at CMH just since the 15th alone.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:10 am
tpweather wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 6:57 am Good Morning and so far with this system 1.40 so not a bad two days especially since most of the rain came down as light to sometimes moderate. These are the kind of systems we seldom see in mid-summer and it came at a perfect time as another round of heat is expected.
There is a small chance Wed and maybe again at some point next weekend but it could be another week that some of us will have to wait again for rain after today. Also another round of 90s seem to be coming again in our future. I could see us tacking on 3-4 90s in the next week. But again, despite models going high with the numbers, I don't think we'll get any hotter then the 94-95 we've already seen a few times at CVG this season. Main reason is the beneficial rains we got yesterday and today. :)
Good Morning Les. I agree that we should not get above 95 but with the added rain the dew points should be rather high the next few days so heat index of 100 seems likely Wednesday and then again Fri-Sun. So not quite as bad compared to the June heat spell but again not exactly pleasant. Do we continue the heat to the end of the month is the next question and some signs of a eastern trough but lets see where the mjo decides to make its next move. I believe the heat lasts until the end of the month and then some changes which would be temps back to more seasonal levels which is highs in the 85-88 range and lows 68-72 range. We are nearing the hottest point of the year which I believe is this upcoming weekend so we will be heading towards winter lol.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:27 am
tron777 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:10 am
Good Morning Les. I agree that we should not get above 95 but with the added rain the dew points should be rather high the next few days so heat index of 100 seems likely Wednesday and then again Fri-Sun. So not quite as bad compared to the June heat spell but again not exactly pleasant. Do we continue the heat to the end of the month is the next question and some signs of a eastern trough but lets see where the mjo decides to make its next move. I believe the heat lasts until the end of the month and then some changes which would be temps back to more seasonal levels which is highs in the 85-88 range and lows 68-72 range. We are nearing the hottest point of the year which I believe is this upcoming weekend so we will be heading towards winter lol.
No doubt with the higher dews, the Heat Index could get up there to advisory levels which would be 105 or greater. I could see that esp on the days you mentioned in your post. Those seem to be the hottest days of the next week. As we get beyond next weekend, the heat ridge should retrograde back to the west again and a more stormier and more normal temp pattern should result. Then I think for August, we could have another round or two of 90s, then do the tropics finally take over for a while esp mid month and beyond? That is my current thinking. Now do we get nicely timed troughs to work with these tropical systems or do the tropics just cause us to turn hot and nasty which is also a possibility? I'm going with the heat ridge to our West and SW with the tropics potentially impacting the East Coast more then the Gulf due to the troughiness really that the East Coast has seen for the majority of the summer thus far... esp New England.
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

The nice part about this rainfall is most folks got 1 inch plus. So many times as we know in summer the rainfall is isolated in nature and these numbers vary greatly. This was a good soaking rainfall and at least in my backyard the green looking lawns of spring are back for at least a few days.
cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

Back edge of the rain moving through - storm total of 2.76"
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

The KING of the domes! :king:

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:38 am The nice part about this rainfall is most folks got 1 inch plus. So many times as we know in summer the rainfall is isolated in nature and these numbers vary greatly. This was a good soaking rainfall and at least in my backyard the green looking lawns of spring are back for at least a few days.
Agreed. My lawn has recovered nicely too. The rainfall has been widespread covering a lot of real estate so that should also help to keep temps below model guidance like we've previously discussed. Even Mike's Dome got a good soaking... and that happened before we had a drop! :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

cloudy72 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:50 am Back edge of the rain moving through - storm total of 2.76"
Outstanding Mike! I know your lawn has been struggling. That ought to get her back up to par. :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

tron777 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:55 am
tpweather wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:38 am The nice part about this rainfall is most folks got 1 inch plus. So many times as we know in summer the rainfall is isolated in nature and these numbers vary greatly. This was a good soaking rainfall and at least in my backyard the green looking lawns of spring are back for at least a few days.
Agreed. My lawn has recovered nicely too. The rainfall has been widespread covering a lot of real estate so that should also help to keep temps below model guidance like we've previously discussed. Even Mike's Dome got a good soaking... and that happened before we had a drop! :lol:
I agree and some of the numbers models were throwing out for later this week seemed way to high and starting to see them come back down with max around 95 that we talk about this earlier. Mike glad your lawn should be in good shape
cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

tron777 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:56 am
cloudy72 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:50 am Back edge of the rain moving through - storm total of 2.76"
Outstanding Mike! I know your lawn has been struggling. That ought to get her back up to par. :)
Yes it was definitely welcomed! :)
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

cloudy72
Tropical Depression

Post by cloudy72 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:02 am Mike glad your lawn should be in good shape
Thanks, Tim! Yes it is very happy now!
Mike B.
Miamisburg, OH

tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

tpweather wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:02 am
tron777 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:55 am
I agree and some of the numbers models were throwing out for later this week seemed way to high and starting to see them come back down with max around 95 that we talk about this earlier. Mike glad your lawn should be in good shape
If we get over 95 okay fine, but 100 degree heat as the GFS was showing a few days ago is just silly. Not here, we've had too much rain for that. I like the mid 90s as we've talked about. That should be a good call for Wed and Sat as an example. Funny thing... previously, the Euro was the too hot model, the GFS has been hotter then the Euro as of late so they have kind of flip-flopped roles. :lol:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

tpweather
Hurricane

Post by tpweather »

I agree Les the models have flipped. The Euro back in June was just off its rocker and though some folks especially north of here had a day or two near 100 most folks back then maxed out at 94 or 95. I remember the Euro was calling for widespread 100 degrees in much of the Ohio Valley and before this happen we were rather lush so we knew that was never going to be the case. I understand the gfs this time somewhat and if we would have missed the rainfall then upper 90's had a shot later this week but with the rain again 94 or 95 looks correct.
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

1.46" at CVG as of 8am. I'm probably getting into the 1.55 to 1.6" range by now imby. The perfect amount of rain over 2 days if you ask me. A lot of it soaked in versus running off which will help us get thru this next bout of heat. :)

We are lock n step with our thoughts right now Tim... perfect! :)
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

Bgoney
Tropical Storm

Post by Bgoney »

Just what the doctor ordered for ailing landscapes and crops. 1.6" imby of light to moderate rains. 1.5" also in Indian Hill
Proud owner of Best Guess Forecast Center (BGFC)
Former owner of Gut Feeling Forecast (GFF) and Doppler Infinity
I know just enough about weather to be dangerous!
tron777
Major Hurricane

Post by tron777 »

Bgoney wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 8:48 am Just what the doctor ordered for ailing landscapes and crops. 1.6" imby of light to moderate rains. 1.5" also in Indian Hill
The corn and soy ought to be perking up this week after some heat has been applied. Silver Queen has been coming in though from a local farmer and man it is primo stuff! :thumbsup:
Lester Rhoads
Burlington, KY

AV Facebook Page

young pup
EF4 Tornado

Post by young pup »

tron777 wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:23 am
young pup wrote: Mon Jul 18, 2022 7:20 am Just dumped the gauge. 1.40 yesterday. 2.10 for Saturday and Sunday. Hoping this rain coming my way slides southeast of me. No that I don’t appreciate it I’m already behind on the week. Sunday is the start of my week.
You guys have seen a months worth of rainfall in the past 5 days or so. :lol: You've def seen enough.

EDIT: Over 2" at CMH just since the 15th alone.
Let's tack on .30 more here. 6.88 at cmh for the month. I'm at 7.80 here. Just need the pavement to start to dry and I am heading out. :)